• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Quick turn is all you need. I'm dancing around ppl online with the meatwagon while they try to turn. the controls need some time but after that they are very deep. Only the turbo ram is a little odd but it works 8/10 times for me with just a flip of the controller.

I need a break from the demo. played 4 hours straight almost winning all the rounds. This game will crush my free time.

Right, I've been using quick turn a lot and trying to get hits with the rockets, as the secondary machine gune doesn't seem to inflict a lot of damage. How powerful is the special weapon? The only thing that frustrates me is the super turbo. Flicking your controllor in the middle of the game isn't really the best solution, although it doesn't seem there were any free buttons left.

I hope there are unlockables or something for SP. That hour long GT video of them playing SP looks like it's just 6 or 7 levels for 3 characters with a couple of cinemas thrown in.

rdrr gnr

No, I think the demo is probably easy or normal difficulty.
What? No way. It is at least hard, because from IGN's livestream, Clements would have died a dozen more times than he actually did -- he was eating missiles.

Edit: I tweeted Jaffe. Hopefully, I'll get a response on there or here.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
No joke, wasnt expecting much from this and already wrote it off but this game is awesome! Putting out the demo was smart moves

Local translated voice sounds like ass tho

Mattiator

I don't know how I feel about it so far, I was excited, but the demo was not very good.
Couldnt get into a multi-player match, and the demo ai was a pain in the ass.

RagnarokX

What? No way. It is at least hard, because from IGN's livestream, Clements would have died a dozen more times than he actually did -- he was eating missiles.
I think it's at least normal. TM games are hard and the demo feels easier than or on par with previous games.

Unicorn

What the fuck PSN? Get your shit together.

Last night I think something clicked. Was having a lot of fun with Crimson Fury. Was getting 2nd place after Talons. Even if I can deal, they take advantage of the people who don't know what to do, so their vantage point sets them up for scoring more than me in DM.

Nuke wasn't very fun, but I think I would need to play it with friends.

ElRenoRaven

There are difficulty settings. According to wiki Jaffe said warthog is unlocked by gold medaling every event in campaign on Twisted difficulty. I hate to imagine how hard that is.

Oh yeah, I just realized. You're that player I couldnt kill the other day. No matter what I shot you with you wouldn't take damage.

HAHA. Ran into you huh? Oh I'm very killable. But I use that shield and my mines a ton. I was just on my game the other day. Today I just got done with a good 2 hours of pure fun. Totally got my ass kicked every damn time but even when that happens I'm still having a blast. You can see that people are starting to get the hang of it now. You can see them peel off for health or to weapon up. The strategy and thinking side is starting to show and the challenge in the online is starting to show through.

BHK3

Banned
There are difficulty settings. According to wiki Jaffe said warthog is unlocked by gold medaling every event in campaign on Twisted difficulty. I hate to imagine how hard that is.

Oh yeah, I just realized. You're that player I couldnt kill the other day. No matter what I shot you with you wouldn't take damage.

He must be crazy good then, I remember when you had to beat the game with every character on hard I think in Black to get Minion.

ElRenoRaven

He must be crazy good then, I remember when you had to beat the game with every character on hard I think in Black to get Minion.

Nah. I just had some luck. I'm trying to remember which one I was using the other day. I remember the streak I had. I won like 5 or so games in a row and was on a hot streak. I tend to be that way. I'll win 3 or 4 in a row then lose 4 or 5 in a row. I'm sure as people play more I'll win less and less often because I tend to not improve unlike others who play more. I'm weird like that. I just stay happy though as long as I don't come in dead last.

RagnarokX

Nah. I just had some luck. I'm trying to remember which one I was using the other day. I remember the streak I had. I won like 5 or so games in a row and was on a hot streak. I tend to be that way. I'll win 3 or 4 in a row then lose 4 or 5 in a row. I'm sure as people play more I'll win less and less often because I tend to not improve unlike others who play more. I'm weird like that. I just stay happy though as long as I don't come in dead last.

No, he's talking about Warthog being good since he's hard to unlock.

You were experiencing some kind of crazy glitch. You were playing as Talon and I hit you with tons of weapons, including headshots from the sniper rifle, and nothing would even damage you. You were still dying though, like 3 or 4 times per round, from other players, but I couldn't hurt you no matter what I did.

Helscream

Banned
Only the turbo ram is a little odd but it works 8/10 times for me with just a flip of the controller.

I have noticed with the Turbo Ram that it can take out a large chunk of your turbo meter depending on the vehicle. I "think" depending on the vehicle it takes more or less out of your Turbo Meter to use the Turbo Ram/Boost. So it is possible when you think the Motion Sensor flicking of the controller is not responding it could be you just don't have enough Turbo to actually perform the Turbo Ram/Boost. I'll have to jump into the single player challenge and test it with each vehicle. I'll post my findings in a little bit.

EDIT: Yea it seems like regardless of the Vehicle you use. Turbo Ram/Boost uses 60% or 55%. With a full bar I was able to Turbo Boost once, but I could not Turbo Boost with what was left over. I assumed it would vary depending on the Vehicle considering the tougher Vehicles like Outlaw or Darkside would cost more considering their Rams do decent damage. Where as crimson fury or Reaper wouldn't do much because they are light vehicles.

ElRenoRaven

No, he's talking about Warthog being good since he's hard to unlock.

You were experiencing some kind of crazy glitch. You were playing as Talon and I hit you with tons of weapons, including headshots from the sniper rifle, and nothing would even damage you. You were still dying though, like 3 or 4 times per round, from other players, but I couldn't hurt you no matter what I did.

Ah. I don't think it was me then. I haven't used talon since about Wednesday and that was only for about 2 games. Yesterday I was mainly playing with Darkside and Death Warrant with a bit of Outlaw.

And Warthog I don't think is going to be any better then any of the others. From what Jaffe said about how he plays if anything I see him being an easy target due to the way it pops him up on treads and reveals that underside that if you hit it you do 2x damage.

Am I missing something with Reaper? The reticle doesn't seem to lock on anyone's vehicles when using special.

His special has limited homing when not flaming. When charged and flaming there is no homing.

Also David just answered on Twitter about the difficulty of demo. It's equal to hard.

His special has limited homing when not flaming. When charged and flaming there is no homing.

Also David just answered on Twitter about the difficulty of demo. It's equal to hard.

I see. Never was much of a Reaper fan, but I did use Darkside for the first time and that truck is awesome! Love the Tri-Gun.

Unicorn

Some guy is raping with Grimm in this current game. Every game he's got 10+ kills. Freeze and chainsaw. How do I beat it?

Some guy is raping with Grimm in this current game. Every game he's got 10+ kills. Freeze and chainsaw. How do I beat it?

Shield at just the right time to negate the freeze. He should be a pretty easy target, especially with missiles. Since the freeze is pretty slow moving and Reaper is pretty obvious visually, you should be able to get the hang of timing your shield just right.

Freeze him first then turbo ram his ass, then unload with whatever you have and you should get him easy. Always remember to ram a Reaper, they're very low on health, therefore the rams take out quite a bit of it.

Just went 10-1. I love this game so much. Sniper is so satisfying to kill someone with. Especially the guy in the Talon I killed at least 4 times.

Unicorn

As Crimson Viper I never ram. It got me killed too often haha. Every game I'm the person taking the least amount of damage, so I think I'm doing pretty well. Get plenty of killstreaks too. Its just hard competeing with talon and reaper who seem to get kills faster. I'll get in the lead, but by the last minute its chainsaws urrywurr

RagnarokX

Here's a nice fail gif from that Gamespot video:

igjkZ06dFRJ0B.gif

PowderedToast

this game is fucking awesome, im bustin up mutherfuckers left and right, feels good man. 4-player split screen makes me so hype, jaffe + eat sleep play got their priorities right. THIS IS HOW GAMING IS MEANT TO BE

Tokubetsu

I am a reaper player mostly so the talons are not really annoying to me. I Freeze+flamechainsaw and get one hit kills every time. Talon players get pissed. And in the full game the number of talons should be limited in Nuke.

Man, I really want to get good at Reaper but just so damn squishy. I'm doing a lot better with Outlaw.

Duffyside

Banned

Edit: I tweeted Jaffe. Hopefully, I'll get a response on there or here.

Earlier in this thread Jaffe said the demo was on hard.

10dollas

Banned
this game just feels like a wanking session... its that good.

One balance thing they might want to consider, is having the sniper pick ups respawn much slower. Its far too easy for talon to just camp at a sniper spawn and just cheese his way to 20-30 kills in Nuke.

RagnarokX

this game just feels like a wanking session... its that good.

One balance thing they might want to consider, is having the sniper pick ups respawn much slower. Its far too easy for talon to just camp at a sniper spawn and just cheese his way to 20-30 kills in Nuke.

Nah, it's really hard to get a headshot if people play smart.

ElRenoRaven

ROFLMAO.

LIstening to a podcast David was on. He talks about his first time reading the thread. Needless to say I'm laughing my ass off at his description of the place.

RagnarokX

Don't have it anymore but it's something called game life or something I'll see if I can find it again. I had downloaded it a couple days ago.

*EDIT*

OH found it.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/ He also talks about when the TMA guys ripped him a new one about the health. Says that health turn off is near top of list for patching assuming they make future patches after day 1. lol

I think the health complaints were way premature. I don't see anybody here complaining about them since the demo came out and the demo has a full health restore truck.

ElRenoRaven

I think the health complaints were way premature. I don't see anybody here complaining about them since the demo came out and the demo has a full health restore truck.

I personally do too but I can understand their point of view. At the end of the day it comes down to how you play and who you play with. They're the competitive types. As a result I'm sure they ran into their share of assholes who would abuse the health systems. I myself and others played with just friends who didn't give a shit if they won or lost or what as long as they were having fun. Hence people like me haven't run into a lot of people who abused health etc when we played. As a result you have two totally opposite views of health and how it should be done in the game. So I can understand their sadness about not having a choice to turn it off completely.

Course David has said that it's near the top of the list for future patches so I think in the end everyone will be happy.

Helscream

Banned
I personally do too but I can understand their point of view. At the end of the day it comes down to how you play and who you play with. They're the competitive types. As a result I'm sure they ran into their share of assholes who would abuse the health systems. I myself and others played with just friends who didn't give a shit if they won or lost or what as long as they were having fun. Hence people like me haven't run into a lot of people who abused health etc when we played. As a result you have two totally opposite views of health and how it should be done in the game. So I can understand their sadness about not having a choice to turn it off completely.

Course David has said that it's near the top of the list for future patches so I think in the end everyone will be happy.

While I can understand the complaints about the health. Twisted Metal ( In my own opinion) has always been a Arena Shooter on wheels (Quake/Unreal). Having stuff like weapon pickups and health picks. As well as understanding the layout of the map design and the little secret area's that give you special ammo. It is up to you the player to learn the map design to increase your chances of victory. Just a few moments ago I was fighting with a cheap ass Talon player who just tried sniping all day. He was low on health and I knew exactly where he was going to go to restore his health. So I took the appropriate cut off angle to beat him to the punch.

Faster vehicles can reach health pickups faster but since they have less health the damage they repair is little compared to a heavy vehicle like Outlaw or Darkside, and being slower takes them longer to get there.

Eventually when a player learns the design of a map they will eventually create their own rotation or path they will take when it comes to picking up weapons and health. So a player who wants to stay alive will obviously learn where health pick ups to stay alive. Saying stuff like ''players will abuse [insert Mechanic]" only applies if that mechanic is unbalanced. If Health packs (or if any method of health recovery) is removed then you have to make the penalty for death even less severe to counter balance the absence of health pickups. With health packs/health semi you can enforce a stronger penalty of death (longer respawns etc etc).

Twisted Metal really is a balanced game, I say this because it is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to games. Most developers don't know how to balance a game for shit and thus really hampers the experience of their multiplayer.

ElRenoRaven

While I can understand the complaints about the health. Twisted Metal ( In my own opinion) has always been a Arena Shooter on wheels (Quake/Unreal). Having stuff like weapon pickups and health picks. As well as understanding the layout of the map design and the little secret area's that give you special ammo. It is up to you the player to learn the map design to increase your chances of victory. Just a few moments ago I was fighting with a cheap ass Talon player who just tried sniping all day. He was low on health and I knew exactly where he was going to go to restore his health. So I took the appropriate cut off angle to beat him to the punch.

Faster vehicles can reach health pickups faster but since they have less health the damage they repair is little compared to a heavy vehicle like Outlaw or Darkside, and being slower takes them longer to get there.

Eventually when a player learns the design of a map they will eventually create their own rotation or path they will take when it comes to picking up weapons and health. So a player who wants to stay alive will obviously learn where health pick ups to stay alive. Saying stuff like ''players will abuse [insert Mechanic]" only applies if that mechanic is unbalanced. If Health packs (or if any method of health recovery) is removed then you have to make the penalty for death even less severe to counter balance the absence of health pickups. With health packs/health semi you can enforce a stronger penalty of death (longer respawns etc etc).

Twisted Metal really is a balanced game, I say this because it is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to games. Most developers don't know how to balance a game for shit and thus really hampers the experience of their multiplayer.

Oh I agree with you personally. To me half the fun is cutting that guy off and grabbing the health before him or jumping into that health semi before he can to prevent him from getting it. Also I love that thrill when you're almost dead and oh there comes that semi and it's open or there is that health that spawns up on top of the building up the ramps. The joy to make that ramp on the semi and then launch off and turn around and nail the shit out of the other guy is so awesome. I myself enjoy that randomness of that. If they got that health then hey they got the better of me. They got that health that I very well could have gotten myself. I had plenty of options to stop them be it freeze, etc.

That's also one reason I think you're seeing some of these people who hated it actually saying you know this isn't so bad. Unlike the past games you have options like freeze more readily at your fingertips unlike in the past when you'd have to say in TMB hit left Right up to launch one. Now you can just hit up on the dpad and launch one.

That's one reason I'll probably spend most of my time in regular deathmatch matchmaking like the demo has. I really do love the settings in the demo. I just love em.

Stupid question: how do you zoom in with the sniper? Feel like I've tried every button.

You don't. You bring it out and then it auto targets someone and you wait for the timer to go down while keeping them in your sights. Then you hit fire again and fire. The length of time you keep it on them increases the strength of it. So while it's a sniper rifle it doesn't really function like one you'd find in a first person shooter.

Tokubetsu

Listening to that wired podcast. Really great. I've always liked Jaffe since I started following his blog back when God of War wasn't out yet but that interview made me appreciate him even more. Jaffe and Levine are some of the most natural sounding guys on podcasts/interviews like these. Super passionate.

What's the difference between Free Look 1 and 2?

I am not liking that the game seems to struggle to stay on the target I want sometimes, as it switches between not locking and locking on, but worse, jumping between multiple enemies at once

ElRenoRaven

God, I hope whoever is playing isn't reviewing the game.

Also, I don't think I like the health semitruck. What do you guys think?

Don't bother me at all. I've been on the receiving end of it's use and of having it used on someone I almost had dead. So I'm fine with it.

Top Bottom