• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

played a bunch of online deathmatches. very fun. really hate the Talons though.... one of my gripes - not sure if this is because of the demo, but I was never able to play two consecutive deathmatches. I would play and then get booted offline and have to go through process all over again...

agreed that the challenge mode might turn off people who try the demo. even after doing the tutorial first, it took me a good hr to get used to the gameplay and kill all 5 cars.

Is the online still an issue for anyone?

Just downloaded this and trying to play Deathmatch gets me a "Matchmaking Error" message.

Edit: Just got in, waiting for the game to start now - excited to try!

DirtyLary

:lol Jaffe

VFzf8.jpg

Pretty cool. He answered my question I posted seconds before those tweets.

@davidscottjaffe Will you have a reporting feature for the 100k penis cars skins going to be created in TM?

Mikey Jr.

Is the online still an issue for anyone?

Just downloaded this and trying to play Deathmatch gets me a "Matchmaking Error" message.

Edit: Just got in, waiting for the game to start now - excited to try!

Still an issue for me.

I have accepted the fact that I will not be able to try this game online.

Having said that, I am going to take a leap and buy it anyways. Lots of good impressions about the online on here, so fuck it.

ElRenoRaven

A fair assessment and one that has definitely come true before with prior games like TMBO... but I think this new game has taken steps to address that and garner a more broad audience. For example its not all that hard to to hit people, some of the weapons really do their job well such as homings or freezes. F**K Smashes, as I call them, where you freeze someone, unload and finish with a ram for the kill. It is both visually and mentally stimulating and not all that hard to pull off. Also a lot of the mechanics include first person views of weapons like Vermin's rocket, turret specials like Darkside or Outlaw. There is also a sniper weapon for those people who love to snipe for god's sake. Both imo are attempts to appeal to the shooter audience. And the speed of the weapons and the speed of the cars has NEVER been this fast before. Again, more in line with today's gaming shooters pace.

Exactly. The gameplay certainly while Twisted Metal has some simplicity to go with that depth that even the casual game player can love. Hell we've seen it in this thread. We've seen people go you know I've never played a Twisted Metal but this is fun and I'm buying it. So I honestly think that we may see a resurgence of Twisted Metal. I think we're going to have new fans that haven't played it before. Sure we'll probably lose a few of the old school fans who don't like the changes but I don't think it will be that many hence we will end up with a lot of new fans. That's a good thing too.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Anyone else having issues with the game not using the full screen size? I get black bars top bottom left and right. Very weird.

ElRenoRaven

Anyone else having issues with the game not using the full screen size? I get black bars top bottom left and right. Very weird.

There's an option to adjust how much of your screen it uses. They do that so that people can adjust it to their tvs.

Still an issue for me.

I have accepted the fact that I will not be able to try this game online.

Having said that, I am going to take a leap and buy it anyways. Lots of good impressions about the online on here, so fuck it.

I seem to have to try lots of times, but then occassionally get lucky and get in to a lobby.

Mikey Jr.

I seem to have to try lots of times, but then occassionally get lucky and get in to a lobby.

Oh I get into lobbies if I try long enough.

The problem is that the lobbies never fill up. It maxes out at 3 people, just below the threshold of starting a game.

I have sat at a lobby for 20 minutes and have never gotten more than 3 people, thusly, I have never played an online game.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
The greatest feeling. A guy low on his health with no boost is mere feet away from the back of a semi and I'm trying to catch up with no weapons. As he's driving up the ramp, I boost ram and kill him as I get the health and jump out. HOLY GAMING GODS, I LOVE YOU!

I surely thought he had the health because he was ON the truck. Got a nice "Fuck you, man". You are welcome, sir. GGs.

Oh, and if someone by the name of MaximusPrime with some numbers posts/lurks here... Damn you for always getting first. Heh.
This, except I'm the talon and use my special to lift the sucker in the air and dropping him to his death.

RagnarokX

A fair assessment and one that has definitely come true before with prior games like TMBO... but I think this new game has taken steps to address that and garner a more broad audience. For example its not all that hard to to hit people, some of the weapons really do their job well such as homings or freezes. F**K Smashes, as I call them, where you freeze someone, unload and finish with a ram for the kill. It is both visually and mentally stimulating and not all that hard to pull off. Also a lot of the mechanics include first person views of weapons like Vermin's rocket, turret specials like Darkside or Outlaw. There is also a sniper weapon for those people who love to snipe for god's sake. Both imo are attempts to appeal to the shooter audience. And the speed of the weapons and the speed of the cars has NEVER been this fast before. Again, more in line with today's gaming shooters pace.

Any PS2 online game was pretty much doomed. TMBO even more so because the online component didn't come out for so long after initial release and because TMB made itself even more niche than previous entries with its grimdark art direction. This game is still mature but it is a lot more lively and fun looking; it's like TM2 mixed with TMB. That will make a difference imo. Plus they got online out the door.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
What's the general feeling about the talon? I'm actually quite good at it. Is it cheating? Are people hating cause they think its overpowered? Personally I don't think it is. The talon is a pest, like a fly, but it should be easy to take out. Maybe some find it hard to play with and dislike it cause if that.

...finally

...the game

...has clicked

I actually just beat the SP Challenge and it was fucking fantastic.

Came done to finally getting the mechanics and noticing those little bluecrosses were gasp!, health!

Once I figured this out, It was just a process of elimination/tactical play and I FUCKING LOVED IT!

Brought me right back to 90s DM

TM just became a day one purchase! (^___^)

Thank you Jaffe and all the crew involved for taking a chance on a bygone era!

RagnarokX

What's the general feeling about the talon? I'm actually quite good at it. Is it cheating? Are people hating cause they think its overpowered? Personally I don't think it is. The talon is a pest, like a fly, but it should be easy to take out. Maybe some find it hard to play with and dislike it cause if that.

No, people just don't know how to deal with it. It is extremely easy to kill when you shoot it, but nobody ever does.

It is fun when there is like 1 person in a room that has an effective strategy against Talon and starts going after you because to him you're an easy kill. Then you start taunting him into doing his freeze strategy so you can block the freeze missile with your shield and watch him crap his pants as he realizes he's screwed :D

I watch a bit of the ign vid and saw Sweet Tooth intro. that was awesome. now I'm really really interested with the single player, no matter what Jaffe said about this game might not be worth it for SP alone, but I like what I see from that awesome intro.

in my last deathmatch, as soon as Talon start hitting someone, all the other cars in vicinity suddenly stop fighting each other and all attack Talon at once, poor Talon didn't even have a chance. lol

ElRenoRaven

Any PS2 online game was pretty much doomed. TMBO even more so because the online component didn't come out for so long after initial release and because TMB made itself even more niche than previous entries with its grimdark art direction. This game is still mature but it is a lot more lively and fun looking. That will make a difference imo. Plus they got online out the door.

I don't think it was so much that but just the way Sony handled getting Twisted Metal Black Online out there. Many of us waited months and months. Hell some never got their copy. Then you could buy it with the TMB Greatest Hits version. That however sucked if you already owned the game. I think both of those things are the biggest things that made the online population of Black almost non-existent. IF it weren't for those issues I think TMB would have been a lot more popular online.

RagnarokX

I don't think it was so much that but just the way Sony handled getting Twisted Metal Black Online out there. Many of us waited months and months. Hell some never got their copy. Then you could buy it with the TMB Greatest Hits version. That however sucked if you already owned the game. I think both of those things are the biggest things that made the online population of Black almost non-existent. IF it weren't for those issues I think TMB would have been a lot more popular online.

Of course it was mostly Sony's fault. The network adapter being a peripheral alone was enough to doom it. TM2012 doesn't have that problem.

No, people just don't know how to deal with it. It is extremely easy to kill when you shoot it, but nobody ever does.

It is fun when there is like 1 person in a room that has an effective strategy against Talon and starts going after you because to him you're an easy kill. Then you start taunting him into doing his freeze strategy so you can block the freeze missile with your shield and watch him crap his pants as he realizes he's screwed :D
It's also fun when there's a Talon player who thinks he has an effective strategy over someone who has an effective strategy on Talons, only to realize that person's strategy doesn't involve freezing. And then you destroy that Talon player so badly that he eventually changes to a ground vehicle :D

It's also fun when a Reaper player does the infamous yet basic-entry-level-combo of freeze+flaming chainsaw, only to shield and break out of the freeze and start going all out on him and watch him TRY to run away.

Really what's so much fun is every possible move and combo you can think of has a counter and that counter has a counter and so on and so forth. Can't wait for the full game so I can go against tougher opponents though, haven't seen a single combo that I couldn't counter yet. Not gloating, just stating a pretty well known fact that the average random player you meet in the TM demo really sucks (EDIT: Not meant to be derogatory, but obviously if you're just getting into the franchise for the first time - like a handful of players in the demo - you have a few things learn).

I love that there are talon and darkside players that are difficult to deal with. Makes the game more interesting and lends a sense of boss battle-like qualities not seen in competitive MP.

It's also fun when there's a Talon player who thinks he has an effective strategy over someone who has an effective strategy on Talons, only to realize that person's strategy doesn't involve freezing. And then you destroy that Talon player so badly that he eventually changes to a ground vehicle :D

It's also fun when a Reaper player does the infamous yet basic-entry-level-combo of freeze+flaming chainsaw, only to shield and break out of the freeze and start going all out on him and watch him TRY to run away.

Really what's so much fun is every possible move and combo you can think of has a counter and that counter has a counter and so on and so forth. Can't wait for the full game so I can go against tougher opponents though, haven't seen a single combo that I couldn't counter yet. Not gloating, just stating a pretty well known fact that the average random player you meet in the TM demo really sucks.
Kewl, bro. Hope the community consists of only hardcore TM fans who know a thing or two. God forbid if this game gets an expanded userbase full of beginners. Pssh, fuck that. Leet TM FTW, right bro?

ElRenoRaven

Found a good article called Twisted Metal Musings from an Ex-Vigilante 8 fan. Thought it was a good read.

Link

Also hmmm..

David's twitter said:
.@Marino_Brea Nope- BUT something very, very cool IS planned that is much better than a tv commercial! Stay tuned- revealed THIS WEEK!

Doel

Love it, so much depth. I can't think of another demo that I've went back to this often. It's the same when I saw the game at a media event - it was the only game I went back to more than once.

It's a day 1 purchase for me, but I'm sort of annoyed that I pick up my Vita the next day as well :p

Man playing with Reaper is insane. His special is ridiculous and he seems to be able to freeze over and over and over. Do different vehicles have the freeze/mine/shield regenerate faster than others?

Also, are there unlocks in this demo? I have never seen "Holy Men" as an available driver but he's there now. Maybe I just missed him before.

Kewl, bro. Hope the community consists of only hardcore TM fans who know a thing or two. God forbid if this game gets an expanded userbase full of beginners. Pssh, fuck that. Leet TM FTW, right bro?
You took that the wrong way. All I'm saying is this game has a counter for everything and eventually everyone will learn them all, much like a fighter game (I'm sure you've heard TM compared to a fighter game a thousand times). Now is it right for someone who is familiar with a fighting franchise like say Street Fighter to go up against someone who is trying it for the first time? No, it's fun for no one. It's great that there are new players interested in the franchise! All for them! But demo matchmaking = pair whoever is queued up and full game matchmaking = pair players based on skill level. It just makes sense one would want to play against similarly skilled players (and I doubt I am anywhere near "leet").

No need to get angry, bro. :p

Man playing with Reaper is insane. His special is ridiculous and he seems to be able to freeze over and over and over. Do different vehicles have the freeze/mine/shield regenerate faster than others?

Also, are there unlocks in this demo? I have never seen "Holy Men" as an available driver but he's there now. Maybe I just missed him before.
Yes to both. As far as the energy for freeze/shield/mines go the rule of thumb is the smaller the vehicle the more you have. Another stat they tweak per vehicle is special regen time. Lots of things to consider when choosing a vehicle and deciding which vehicle you want to engage.

You took that the wrong way. All I'm saying is this game has a counter for everything and eventually everyone will learn them all, much like a fighter game (I'm sure you've heard TM compared to a fighter game a thousand times). Now is it right for someone who is familiar with a fighting franchise like say Street Fighter to go up against someone who is trying it for the first time? No, it's fun for no one. It's great that there are new players interested in the franchise! All for them! But demo matchmaking = pair whoever is queued up and full game matchmaking = pair players based on skill level. It just makes sense one would want to play against similarly skilled players (and I doubt I am anywhere near "leet").

No need to get angry, bro. :p

Yes to both. As far as the energy for freeze/shield/mines go the rule of thumb is the smaller the vehicle the more you have. Another stat they tweak per vehicle is special regen time. Lots of things to consider when choosing a vehicle and deciding which vehicle you want to engage.
My mistake, broheem. Haha.

I just love the game and I'm not all caught up with the nuances, but I. Want. More.

Yes to unlocks? What all is there?

My mistake, broheem. Haha.

I just love the game and I'm not all caught up with the nuances, but I. Want. More.
No worries, I worded that initial post really poorly. But I'm right there with you. I. Want. More. Other games you play one more round because you want to rank up, but in this demo I want to play one more round because I honestly believe there is something I can do to get better, leading up to the brief moment in anticipation between when the game ends and the stat sheet shows me my damage done/damage received to see if I improved.

Yes to unlocks? What all is there?

I thought you said full game, not demo. Sorry, nothing to unlock in demo as far as I know.

ElRenoRaven

Please make this the OT. That was hilarious.

If you let your girlfriend win she will suck your dick.

While the quotes are funny I think we need to have a more tame OT title for the first one at least. If we should be lucky enough to ever make it to an OT 2 then we could probably start thinking of silly titles.

Helscream

Banned
Playing this game, man, I gotta say that I'm a bit uneasy about TM's success.

Let me preface this by saying that I LOVE the game so far from what I've seen of it. I've played Twisted 1, 2, and Black and I think that ESP hits all the right notes with this one. There's an amazing level of depth and complexity to the game and for fans of the series there's a whole lot to digest.

Which is part of the problem. I'm going to wade into some theory here and I'm sure I'm going to get some of it wrong so bear with me. The new TM's core target has got to be the original fans. Most of them are probably around 20 - 40 years old. Most of them probably have a fairly decent income that will allow them to pick up the game new if they want and most of them probably will. The recent strategy for a lot of publishers these days is to make games for the greatest common denominator, hopefully maximizing sales. The result (for this type of competitive, online game) is your Call of Duties - easy, simple, repetitive gaming junk food. Addicting, but does very little to fill you up. There is somewhat of a deeper level for those who want it - but log on at any given time and the majority of the games are simple Team Death Matches. CoD is fairly simple (though a bit of a challenge for those new to the genre), and not very deep.

TM on the other hand is both complex and deep. The deepness of the game isn't a problem. There are a lot of games out there that are both simple and deep. Clash of Heroes is a good example. Diablo III is another example (well, according to the developer blogs anyway.) TM is fucking complex. A lot of the buttons are pulling double or even triple duty. I'm a game designer, a decent TM player, and life-long gamer and it took me about 45 minutes to get to the point where I could clear the challenge mode and about 90 minutes until I clear it with Reaper.

Now think about your potential customers. For the sake of ease let's divide them into three groups - a) TM veteran, b) online, competitive gamer, c) TM virgin, normal gamer. It's a pretty safe bet to say that a) will buy your game. For b) and c) though you're looking at about say an hour or so investment in the game just to get the controls down. B) may or may not play through SP, and will probably go into MP. They initial time investment to get the controls down stands. Afterwords, the clock is ticking. Will this game provide something that they can't get with CoD or Battlefield 3? They'll get owned repeatedly, get frustrated with the complex controls, get rammed, flaming chainsawed, sniped, flipped through the air and frozen. Will they hang around long enough for everything to click? Or will they just take the game back and go back to CoD?

I think c) will go on to play through the SP campaign and probably clear it. They'll probably step into online once and, if we're lucky, will make the transition to online play. I'm doubtful though because when / if they do - they'll be up against a) and b). I think these guys will end up selling the game back as they go on to play SSX, Mass Effect 3, or whatever fairly big, online game comes out in the new future.

That ultimately leaves a) and a sprinkle of b) for online play. I guess it depends on TM's budget. DJ has gone on to say that ESP is fairly small, but I think with licensing, marketing, the length of production, and all the QA playtesting they've done will have pushed up costs fairly high. How many new sales do they need to break even? I'm guessing that the first 2 weeks will be good for sales. All or most of a) will buy in. B) will come in through word-of-mouth from a). C) will come in from the massive amount of pimping Jaffe is putting into the game, high review scores, livestreams, and marketing. I'm guessing that a small (yet significant) number of gamers will leave after the first two weeks to either A) go back to a previous game or B) go to a newer game like Darkness II or SSX (another remake of a fan favorite.) A month or so after release you'll have to deal with Mass Effect 3. I'm guessing that less than half of the online community will remain after the first month. I hope I'm wrong. I really do because I'm going to be playing SSX (during the daytime when my son is awake) and Twisted at night after he goes to bed. Hell, I'm thinking of buying two copies (thanks, online pass..) so I can play online at work during lunch. I want the game to succeed, it just seems like there are so many hurdles for it to go through to be successful (complexity of the game system / controls, high level of entry skill wise, longer lasting combat scenarios, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen, a fair number of people really fall for the game once they get used to it but the price of entry is high. I wonder if enough people have the fortitude or patience to wrestle with the game before they fall in love with it. There are examples where a developer targets a small, niche audience and manages to reap fame and fortune despite prohibitive production costs (Swords and Sworcery), but it's definitely not the norm. Props to ESP and Sony for trying that approach, but man, I hope it works out for them because I want to see more devs doing stuff like this.

(I've already pre-ordered the game and am looking forward to seeing what ESP and Jaffe do next. As much as I want ANOTHER TM, I hope they branch out and so something other than cars;D)

Well as a consumer and gamer I ultimate want to purchase a game that has the most replay value. Multiplayer adds to that value, but also the depth of a game can add even more if done correctly. When a game has depth, naturally that means the game has multiple layers and thus multiple combinations of how you can go about experiencing a game. So naturally you would want to buy a game that gives you the most bang for your buck.

For example, a multiplayer game that has a lot of depth possibly means that in combat you have a large variety of ways to combat your enemies as well as possibly countering their attacks. I am by no means a expert on the fighter genre. But Tekken 6 has to have the most depth then any other fighting game I have played this generation. There is just so much depth there and such a large cast of characters as well as customization I can imagine anyone who buys this game will have hours upon countless hours on replay value.

On the opposite spectrum take Uncharted. The game is oozing with quality, but when it comes to combat there is not much depth there. I played Uncharted 2 online, but I really could not play it ours on end because I would just get burnt out on how shallow the combat was. Uncharted is not the only culprit here, but this is just an example.

Twisted Metal has a lot of depth. You have Vehicle which each one has a different speed,armor,handling,hitpoints,special. Then you have different weapons that can serve multiple purposes on top of your energy bar. Then you have shit like level design, does it have special properties? Does it have environmental hazards (like lava)? Does the layout of the map change in real time? I don't mean to sound redundant and I am sure you have experienced the depth yourself. But when you see all the possibilities and variety that is available to you. You eventually realize just how deep this game really is.

Now lets talk about difficulty. I myself at first was having trouble with the control scheme. Mainly because every game that involved driving/racing cars was either R2/L2 or X/[ ] and then O for E brake. After getting the hang of the controls I realized how smooth the transitions were and how much sense the layout made overall. I don't find myself accidentally smashing the wrong button nor do I find myself having trouble shooting while turning and boosting. So I am sure Eat,Sleep,Play went through a lot of trial and error to find the most fluid control scheme.

I can also understand players being turned off by a game being too difficult, but lets be honest. This generation of gaming has to be the most accessible and easiest to date. Casual gamers are the main culprit, but if they are not capable of owning shit within the first 2 minutes of their gamely experienced they automatically want to trade it back in (Of course this is the most extreme of cases). I think a game like Demon Souls, Dark Souls was so well received because even though it was hard, that difficulty made victory so much sweeter. Most games really lack in providing the player with a elaborate challenge, and so when they beat the game it really ends up feeling like a hollow experience.

From personal experienced I cannot tell you how badass I felt when I would beat a game like God of War/Devil May Cry on the hardest difficultly. I was countering every attack on top of building up a big combo and I felt like I was the shit. And very few games really offer that kind of adrenaline rush. With most modern games today the height of success is hiding behind cover to regenerate your health or dropping a grenade when you die to get a free kill. I may be coming off as a dick, but I am exhausted of players thinking they are good because they accomplish a achievement that the game just hands to you on a silver platter.

I understand that money talks and Publishers/Developers want to reach the highest common denominator. But in the process a game gets created that is so diluted and watered down that lacks its own identity that you end up playing a 1-dimensional game that is ultimately hollow and unsatisfying. It is like Wal-Mart trying to be the end all be all the one stop shop, but ultimately lack the specific item you want to acquire.

If Twisted Metal does not do well it will be because a majority of gamers want a easy accessible game that showers you with praise and worship for accomplishing the most mundane and simplistic task that are not even remotely challenging. Stuff like Call of Duty do well because of this said strategy. They throw big ass numbers in your face as well as "HEADSHOT" making you think your such a over achiever. David Jaffe has already stated several times that this is the best Twisted Metal they have ever done. And if you do not like Twisted Metal the way it is. Then there really isn't much else to say. They have play tested the shit out of this game to make it as fun and as balanced as possible. So if people lost interest, then they just don't like it. But that does not mean Twisted Metal is less of a game.

Games like Unreal Tournament and Quake had no such thing as experience points or leveling/perks. You would spawn, and it was up to you to find the weapon pickups/health/armor. Everyone was on a even playing field. When you nailed someone with a nasty shock combo or when you nailed someone with a mid-air rocket the kill itself was more glorifying then any experience points earned could ever be. Twisted Metal is harkening back to where the kill possessed all the glory itself. Imagine how insane it would be if you nailed Talon mid-air with a flaming chainsaw? Or doing donuts around someone with Crimson Fury as they are incinerated from the flamethrower? Such a grizzly satisfying and glorious moment is rarely experienced in this generation of console games.

It may be difficult to grasp and even more difficult to master. But when you do the taste of Victory is so overwhelming you will find it hard to recreate that feeling elsewhere.

I know this is just my opinion and is probably incoherent ranting to some people. But there it is. WALL OF TEXT.

Top Bottom