• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Donation Drama: Donator takes back $11,000 in donations

Darknight

Jobs sure are easy to get if you're a 14-year-old these days.

You're telling a 14-year-old to get a job?

I didnt mean him but in general to those who stream. I find it funny this 14 year old is so invested in this already that now he is in debt for this. Kinda foolish, no? Thats why i was saying people streaming shouldnt depend on donations only to live day to day.

A lot of people do have jobs and still stream, but either way, there's no reason they shouldn't try to make a career out of it if it's what they want. If people are willing to pay for it or if they can find a steady revenue source via streaming, that's a job. Good for them.

Ok this is true but if they have jobs then this instance shouldnt really bring them that much trouble. If you depend on this like its your job, that great and all but its highly risky and I wouldnt trust anyone that does this with streaming as a primary job as responsible unless you make shit tons. Just my 2 cents.

Who was the guy was going around donating hundreds of grand to popular WoW streamers? Did anyone figure who he was or why he did it?

Are you referring to Amhai? Dropped something around 20k to Reckful, and like 11k to Sodapoppon. As far as I know, the donations were legit.

Always be wary of major donation sums. I'd leave the money there for the maximum number of days you have to (until the buyer can no longer contest it) before withdrawing it.
It might suck, but it's the only way to be safe and protect yourself from debt.

I'd also be wary about donating to people who claimed they have lost money through this, unless they've provided solid proof that you can verify through a 3rd party.

jediyoshi

He could do chores and lawns for neighbors. Stupid kids want everything easy these days. They should earn their money, not sit on their asses and play games while they e-beg for money. Serves them right IMO.

This is hilarious. The functional result of this is just as shitty in literally any other context where money is being exchanged and the rest of it is you filling out a weird fantasy in your head. Get over yourself.

DVCY201

There are major restrictions on how much a 14-year-old in the United States can work during the school year, so yeah, in fact.

Eh, I started working when I was 12 and I made it work with school. But, I respect his decision to earn income through perhaps a more flexible route.

It's a no win situation for everyone though, as someone has to pay. Others have said that the card could have been stolen too, which is also possible. Truly sucks, but I don't think Paypal may be to blame. I definitely think there is a lesson here, and it's probably to not spend donation money right away. Hold it for, 90 days(?), then utilize it as you please.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The fear of having charge backs is why some streamers choose not to accept Paypal. Paypal will not side with any of these streamers, which is unfortunate.

If the person is just regretting donating that much then i think it's a scumbag move on their part to rescind their donations. If their a kid using their parent's credit card, well then it's the parents fault for letting their kid get access to their credit card, and the streamers shouldn't be punished for the parent's mistake.

On the off chance that the donations were made with a stolen card then the plot thickens

Anfang

Always be wary of major donation sums. I'd leave the money there for the maximum number of days you have to (until the buyer can no longer contest it) before withdrawing it.

I'd also be wary about donating to people who claimed they have lost money through this, unless they've provided solid proof that you can verify through a 3rd party.

Should be a guide with this bolded in it so streamers can protect themselves.

old

How far back can pay pal charge back? How long before a streamer feels safe withdrawing the money?

Ok this is true but if they have jobs then this instance shouldnt really bring them that much trouble.[/b If you depend on this like its your job, that great and all but its highly risky and I wouldnt trust anyone that does this with streaming as a primary job as responsible unless you make shit tons. Just my 2 cents.
It probably wouldn't... if these people weren't suddenly hundreds of dollars in the hole on their paypal account because of this. That's gonna hurt almost anyone it happens to, dude. C'mon.

Hubb

He wouldn't be asking for "donations" if he did those things already.

I'm not bitter, I just think everyone should earn their money.

I think you are misunderstand what is going on here. He is streaming a game whether he gets donations or not, people like the stream and want to support him (or any streamer) they can donate. If you don't want to donate, don't and just enjoy it, what is wrong with some of you people.

You did no have a small job at that age? A lot of people do.

And if this is his small job?

Seyavesh

why wouldn't he if the opportunity arises

the hustle is real brother~

how do you even know he's asking for donations vs. leaving it open as an option anyhow
how much research have you done because i'm sure it's just about as much as i have which is to say none

what's wrong with paying people for entertainment

this has been really just been a great week for exposing morons on neogaf

Sakura

Paypal needs to update their system to not allow things like chargebacks for donations. And also suspend Paypal accounts for people who want their money back often.

What if the dude making the donations was using someone else's credit card? Should the credit card owner be 11,000 dollars in the hole? I'm not really sure PayPal is at fault here...

You did no have a small job at that age? A lot of people do.
Not sure where you are from but here it is illegal to work at that age.

Alebrije

How much on average earns a person that receives donations for streaming videogames?

I find weird to ask for money just for play but maybe is a nice business and you get a lot of more money that on a job.

Do they stream for 6,8,12. Hours every day?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I'm not bitter, I just think everyone should earn their money.
The irony is that you say "i'm not bitter" while also determining what constitutes as "earned money." Please tell us more about this child's life since you seem to have all of the facts.

LiK

What if the dude making the donations was using someone else's credit card? Should the credit card owner be 11,000 dollars in the hole? I'm not really sure PayPal is at fault here...

if they have access to someone else's CC, then it's fraud and they should go through all the appropriate steps with the CC company.

Anfang

How much on average earns a person that receives donations for streaming videogames?

I find weird to ask for money just for play but maybe is a nice business and you get a lot of more money that on a job.

Do they stream for 6,8,12. Hours every day?

Average person isn't making much if any. The big boys get the cash and most stream for 8+ unless they are a pro.

Omega

Banned
This is why I love when someone streaming video games from their parent's basement does the whole "Streaming full time is my job!" bit. No, you don't have a job, you play video games all day.

Entertaining people is still a job. Just because they don't sit in a cubicle doesn't mean it's any less of a job.

Have you ever played games for 7-8 hours a day, which is what most successful streamers do at a minimum? It's extremely boring and exhausting. You can't decide to take a day off either, because that person can then go on to watch someone else and you might potentially lose a viewer.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pretty much. It sucks for the people receiving the donation, but people who had their CCs abused deserve their money back as well.

Bolded and quoted again. If these are fraudulent donations, the victims of credit card/identity theft take priority over any streamer.

Paypal will always side with the buyer, so yeah. Charge backs as long as 50+ days past is kinda crazy though, but if its fraud, then they have the right to do it.

I think you are misunderstand what is going on here. He is streaming a game whether he gets donations or not, people like the stream and want to support him (or any streamer) they can donate. If you don't want to donate, don't and just enjoy it, what is wrong with some of you people.

And if this is his small job?

Well, they should have verified that the donations were legit before spending the money. Either way there should be something in PayPal's ToS about stuff like this shouldn't there?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well, they should have verified that the donations were legit before spending the money. Either way there should be something in PayPal's ToS about stuff like this shouldn't there?
Forgetting the fact that the money was donated more than 50+ days ago. We can reasonably assume that they didn't immediately spend it and waited a while first like any person who has experience with paypal would.

Exactly this.

Venfayth

Well, they should have verified that the donations were legit before spending the money.

What the fuck are you even saying?

Lol might be dyslexic, read it as 5+ days the first time.

Yeah, it was 50 days. It never shows up as questionable money, it sits in their account as soon as it is donated (unprovoked) and then they take it out. Then at some arbitrary point in time the donator has it refunded, and now all of a sudden the person who they donated to has to pay back money they never knew was on a leash. They could not have known.

Rapstah

This is a 14-year-old finding a way to earn money on the side with school. If he had gotten an online job filling out forms and then the employer scammed him out of 800 bucks after two months because it was an unsafe internet job, whose side would everyone be on?

Vodh

Well, one thing this thread has showed us is just how easy blaming the victim is if you deem them unworthy for whatever reason.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
This is a 14-year-old finding a way to earn money on the side with school. If he had gotten an online job filling out forms and then the employer scammed him out of 800 bucks after two months because it was an unsafe internet job, whose side would everyone be on?

Should be doing chores bro.

DCDW

It said the donator was 15, there's no way it was his legitimate credit card/bank account. Unfortunately I would have to side with Paypal in this since it's clear it was never his money in the first place. If it were someone 18+ I might side with the streamers since there's room to argue he's just trying to pull a fast one with the chargeback, but with someone 15 and a credit card or bank account with 11k, it just doesn't fly.

That said the streamers have my sympathy as it sucks with some of them having spent the money and now are in debt. Streamers should be given a chargeback insurance option with Paypal (or whatever online donation system they use) to cover them, since I feel they are very vulnerable to these sorts of things.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
If the person is just regretting donating that much then i think it's a scumbag move on their part to rescind their donations. If their a kid using their parent's credit card, well then it's the parents fault for letting their kid get access to their credit card, and the streamers shouldn't be punished for the parent's mistake.

On the off chance that the donations were made with a stolen card then the plot thickens

Are you serious? For crying out loud.

Is one suppose to lock one's wallet and purse in a safety box in the privacy of one's own home?

Furthermore, one is not covered against fraud committed by one's own kin - as such, one cannot dispute a transaction made by a relative.

There are major restrictions on how much a 14-year-old in the United States can work during the school year, so yeah, in fact.
Isn't it summer now?

Also you can wor if you are 14 in the us. 3 hours during school days and 8 hours during non school days. So ya, get a job.

Personally a 14 year old should not be streaming.

Haunted

Oh man, a 14-year old donating over $11.000. Now that's a cry for attention if I ever saw one. Probably just wanted to be friends with the streamers he likes - donating a lot of money is the quickest way to do that, I suppose.

Top Bottom