• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Platinum: Twitch Develops a Gambling Addiction

Hilariously, I was doing something else and I had the stream running in a different tab. I had the sound turned down because there's only so many times I can hear the E4 theme. I click back on a whim and I see the credits begin to roll. XD

PBalfredo

Randomized is still pretty cool to me. I like the mystery of it. Who are starter is going to be. Which pokemon we'll run into. What new types the gym leaders will be. The community redesigns for the gym leaders was my favorite part of Randomized FireRed.

PBalfredo

i7Ve7jj.png

Ha ha, our Emerald run was sooooooo bad. Even when we did win, it was heavily dependent on luck.

PBalfredo

haha Wallace is so far off to the right

also the touchscreen really helped with the Platinum run

Funny thing is it took up ~50 runs to beat Cynthia, half that of Emerald despite being done in a fraction of the time. That's cause our Emerald team needed massive downtime for grinding and operations to get the team into shape. Whereas our Platinum team was all business all the time except for a few breaks to play in the waterfall in hopes of evolving Shinx.

Platinum E4 statistics

And yeah, the touchscreen helped us out a lot. I was worried that it would be heavily abused by trolls spamming Run and we'd only ever level off of trainers. Turned out to not be the case by large. Our team was pretty evenly leveled until near the end when Flareon, and then Bibarel, zoomed past everyone.

Also, we caught a record of 223 pokemon! I'm rather surprised how much cash we had for pokeballs. Were we particularly good at not blacking out as much as before, or do Sinnoh trainers just pay out like none other?

Funny thing is it took up ~50 runs to beat Cynthia, half that of Emerald despite being done in a fraction of the time. That's cause our Emerald team needed massive downtime for grinding and operations to get the team into shape. Whereas our Platinum team was all business all the time except for a few breaks to play in the waterfall in hopes of evolving Shinx.

Platinum E4 statistics

And yeah, the touchscreen helped us out a lot. I was worried that it would be heavily abused by trolls spamming Run and we'd only ever level off of trainers. Turned out to not be the case by large. Our team was pretty evenly leveled until near the end when Flareon, and then Bibarel, zoomed past everyone.

Also, we caught a record of 223 pokemon! I'm rather surprised how much cash we had for pokeballs. Were we particularly good at not blacking out as much as before, or do Sinnoh trainers just pay out like none other?
I think we were mostly good at investing when we had a lot of cash so we rarely wasted a lot of cash when whiting/blacking out.

Espada

Platinum E4 statistics

One thing I've noted during my Sinnoh playthroughs is that the trainers give you a lot of money, and there are more wealthy trainer classes (Lady, Gentleman, Socialite, etc...) in general.

PBalfredo

I can't believe we actually beat Platinum E4 second fastest. The second half or so of Platinum went really well all things considered. The mail strategy was excellent.

Third fastest. That chart doesn't show FireRed, which was done in, what, five runs? Something stupidly short.

Yeah, thats probably the biggest changer. People were just shooting coords to hit the moves they want. Going as far as switching between Surf and Waterfall when needed.

Meanwhile in Emerald and FireRed, any move in the bottom right corner of the move list was practically dead to us.

Third fastest. That chart doesn't show FireRed, which was done in, what, five runs? Something stupidly short.

Meanwhile in Emerald and FireRed, any move in the bottom right corner of the move list was practically dead to us.
Yeah I intentionally ignored it because it was mostly cheating.

Save Files out. Digging through it...

Pokemon IV's (HP / Atk / Def / Spd / SAtk / SDef)

Shinx = 31 / 9 / 3 / 8 / 23 / 23 (Max HP IV o_O)
Bibarel = 6 / 9 / 23 / 3 / 21 / 10
Flareon = 27 / 14 / 0 / 8 / 7 / 17 (0 Speed lol)
Golbat = 5 / 10 / 16 / 18 / 10 / 31 (Max SDef)
Bronzong = 31 / 30 / 11 / 12 / 14 / 25 (Wow Max HP and almost max Atk, beastly)
Roserade = 10 / 31 / 12 / 3 / 4 / 13 (Max Atk)

Special Mentions inside the Box

Shellos = 1 / 20 / 31 / 31 / 14 / 15 (2 IV)
Geodude = 7 / 7 / 0 / 13 / 16 / 0 (2 0's lol)
Zubat = 7 / 31 / 6 / 16 / 5 / 31 (2 IV)
Tentacool = 6 / 31 / 13 / 28 / 31 / 11 (2 IV)
Wingull = 6 / 2 / 31 / 4 / 21 / 31 (2 IV)
Roselia = 26 / 28 / 24 / 30 / 16 / 29 (Wow at the stat spread)

Save Files out. Digging through it...

Pokemon IV's (HP / Atk / Def / Spd / SAtk / SDef)

Shinx = 31 / 9 / 3 / 8 / 23 / 23 (Max HP IV o_O)
Bibarel = 6 / 9 / 23 / 3 / 21 / 10
Flareon = 27 / 14 / 0 / 8 / 7 / 17 (0 Speed lol)
Golbat = 5 / 10 / 16 / 18 / 10 / 31 (Max SDef)
Bronzong = 31 / 30 / 11 / 12 / 14 / 25 (Wow Max HP and almost max Atk, beastly)
Roserade = 10 / 31 / 12 / 3 / 4 / 13 (Max Atk)

Special Mentions inside the Box

Shellos = 1 / 20 / 31 / 31 / 14 / 15 (2 IV)
Geodude = 7 / 7 / 0 / 13 / 16 / 0 (2 0's lol)
Zubat = 7 / 31 / 6 / 16 / 5 / 31 (2 IV)
Tentacool = 6 / 31 / 13 / 28 / 31 / 11 (2 IV)
Wingull = 6 / 2 / 31 / 4 / 21 / 31 (2 IV)
Roselia = 26 / 28 / 24 / 30 / 16 / 29 (Wow at the stat spread)
Yeah a Roserade with max attack is pretty funny. It definitely helped when we needed to use cut I suppose.

Crayolan

Aww, I missed the end. I figured as much, we were consistently taking out half of Cynthia's team when I went to bed. I think the biggest factors to our domination of this E4 was a well balanced team, great type matchups vs multiple members, and the fact that this was an offense-based E4. In Emerald both Sidney and Pheobe employed defensive strategies which we were really not prepared for and could not do much about other than send out fodder to take the hits (Mighty Doge) or train up until we could 1hko their whole teams (Annie). Platinum E4 trades those long-term-fuck-you-over strategies for powerful and diverse teams with great type coverage--something that's much more easy to deal with for us.

I had to do this just cause I felt sorry for the pokemon.

What COULD'VE BEEN

1yxPr.jpg

uXPik.jpg

Thank you. I'm so dissapointed Sparkles never got to grow up for Flareon. I really hope the streamer adds something to help evolutions along (other than democracy which we can't always count on) in Heart Gold.

Aww, I missed the end. I figured as much, we were consistently taking out half of Cynthia's team when I went to bed. I think the biggest factors to our domination of this E4 was a well balanced team, great type matchups vs multiple members, and the fact that this was an offense-based E4. In Emerald both Sidney and Pheobe employed defensive strategies which we were really not prepared for and could not do much about other than send out fodder to take the hits (Mighty Doge) or train up until we could 1hko their whole teams (Annie). Platinum E4 trades those long-term-fuck-you-over strategies for powerful and diverse teams with great type coverage--something that's much more easy to deal with for us.

Thank you. I'm so dissapointed Sparkles never got to grow up for Flareon. I really hope the streamer adds something to help evolutions along (other than democracy which we can't always count on) in Heart Gold.

I think maybe changing the wait command so that if over half the commands in a 30 second window are wait, no input is accepted for 30 seconds would do the trick.

Edit: Also, it's really cool that 006 turned out to be the biggest beast on our team despite the fact that he was relegated to an HM slave and never given mail. No wonder Solareon chose her to be the mother of his child.

Second Edit: I know it would still make it REALLY difficult to pull off considering we'd have to time the wait activation so that it happens after the button press to activate evolution and the first B press, but it would still be a lot more feasible than what we have now.

Crayolan

Are the stadium people randomized? I found myself (jrat12345) in the front row center wearing a red hat. Also, I can't seem to find the Platinum team anywhere.

The stadium people are made mostly if not entirely of actual stream viewers. No Platinum team because it's a work in progress, there's currently just Roserade.

TrickRoom

I'm calling it. Someone's going to run off with the save file and take their/our Flareon and Shinx/Luxray OTP to mirror match Flint and Volkner at the postgame area.

I kind of feel sad we didn't get to do postgame this gen.

Takashi

I was actually gonna check in this morning then decided not to cause I figured it would still be a while before the game would be beat lol. Cynthia wasn't even so bad after all.

From what I can remember, I think the only big events I've seen live were the first time ATV wrecked Lance, and some gym battles here and there, latter obviously not as important.

Top Bottom