• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch streamer dies during charity gaming marathon

Shredderi

I'm surprised that people don't seem to know about the very real risks posed by sitting for super long periods of time. Not saying that clot was the culprit here but it happens from time to time. I would never do a 24h-stream for this reason alone. I mean it's not as bad if you get up every once in a while. I read about this clot thing a few years ago and it made me super paranoid and now I get up from my chair at least once every hour.

So sad about this news. Guy was just trying to help.

Sitting for long periods of time can take it's toll, unfortunate, but people should really start to discourage these type of marathonic seassions, there are better ways of raising money for charity.

That said, RIP

boltz

I do the majority of my gaming/TV watching laying back in bed.

I assume that's safer?

Don't see much of a problem with that as long as you are healthy in general, ie get regular exercise and eat decently. The other thing is taking regular breaks so you don't get repetitive stress injuries.

D i Z

A friend of mine opted or forgot to take his insulin one Friday when we got together for a night of RPG. Things like this happen more often than a lot of people realize, and go south very quickly. That short break away from viewing eyes or a moment of privacy in the restroom can turn into a nightmare if no one comes looking after a while.

joecanada

Always scared of something like this happening. Sometimes I'm going through 50+ hours of no sleep and feel awful.

Anyways RIP PoShYbRiD.

what? you should not do this for any reason.... if it is due to sleep disorder try to go to a sleep clinic.

you are a danger to yourself and others if you say drive at all or do anything of the sort. try to get help if possible. This will have serious effects on your long term health, as a former graveyard worker I can personally attest.

Mega

Banned
There are a ton of people that do 24hr gaming marathons for charity.
That'd be incredibly shitty thing to do to streamers when this guy's death is probably do to multiple factors. The mere fact that he streams so often just means also there was a better chance that he'd die while streaming. A heart attack at 35 is tragic but it's not rare.

Video game streaming and 24h+ live marathons haven't been around long enough for us to see how truly bad it is for those streamers. But we do know staying up all day is bad for you. Also true for sitting down for hours and hours. These guys will have weak, sickly bodies and heart disease to look forward to later in life.

I do the majority of my gaming/TV watching laying back in bed.

I assume that's safer?

Just as bad if not worse. The health benefit of lying down is the sleep part.

Fact: If you spent 72 hours without any sleep, YOU WILL DIE.

Take good care of yourselfs guys.

Not fact. Plenty of people have done it and gone up 10-11 days awake, although anything past a day is very unhealthy.

Holdfing

RIP

Blood clot I guess? As someone who had DVT before, it is NOT a joke, even if you're lucky and the clot doesn't dislodge and you manage to get help. Also, it can go totally unnoticed until it's too late. At least stretch your legs every hour.

Chemist

Neo Member
wtf?
35 is not 80
in fact you should be at peak(physically and mentally) at

Anyone who believes this is either not 35 or is in ridiculously good shape. I'm 34 and let me tell you it's not even close to 24. Streamer expectations are so huge it's becoming toxic imo.
Edit quote fail

I don't think is true. I mean I was up for 4 consecutive days in the army at one of the bigger camp thingies.

presumably if you were at a camp you were active during that time though, you were moving around, eating food, etc. doing normal activities that a human body is made to do. you weren't just sitting in one spot for 22 consecutive hours, getting up to smoke cigarettes from time to time.

it's fully possible to be a healthy gamer. get up and stretch your legs once every hour. don't just eat junk food crap - that only stresses out your heart even more.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
it's fully possible to be a healthy gamer. get up and stretch your legs once every hour. don't just eat junk food crap - that only stresses out your heart even more.

Just be a healthy person.

Our diets are messed up and our lifestyles are messed up in the modern day. This makes it ESPECIALLY important to be doing physical excercise everyday (walking, running, biking, weightlifting, swimming, yoga, ANYTHING).

The odds are already stacked against us healthwise, its very important to not neglect our health.

RIP

we really need to understand that sitting idle for lengthy hours is bad for your health. Desk jobs, people who fly a lot, etc. you need to get your circulation of blood going or else you can suffer from blood clots. Not saying this is why he passed, just speaking in general from someone who sits at a desk all day.

the210

It's never a good idea to speculate about how someone died but since everyone else is why not.

Maybe the guy had an ongoing serious health problem that killed him. Maybe thats why he was doing charity events in the first place.

22 hours straight with fatty foods, smoking, alcohol, and 35 years old?

Does not sound good for anybody, much less a 35 year old. Condolences.
Exactly. RIP. Let it be a lesson to maybe not be so irresponsible with your body. Getting up and stretching every 30 minutes can do wonders alone

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My heart goes out to this man's family.

I've participated in Extra Life for the past four years, so I've personally done a few of these 24-hour livestreams. People regularly misunderstand the toll that gaming like this can take on your body. In addition to the usual stuff like sitting for an extended period of time, this can also take a toll on a person's mental faculties as our favorite hobby typically keeps your brain and reflexes on high alert while gaming.

Just like a running marathon, it's a good idea to be aware of your body during a gaming marathon. Also like a running marathon, not everyone is particularly suited physically to not be injured by participating. As others have said, you need to take regular breaks where you get up and stretch, and to stop participating if you feel like your body is telling you to stop.

Estellex

Personally, I think I would want to go out while I am gaming. I am an extremely depressed person and I don't mine dying this way.

UraMallas

22 hours straight with fatty foods, smoking, alcohol, and 35 years old?

Does not sound good for anybody, much less a 35 year old. Condolences.
I'm 34 and I am still able to do the things I could do 15 years ago mostly unfettered. I might be a bit slower physically and mentally as well as during recovery but I assure you I am far from the grave.

Condolences to his family.

Estellex

I'm 34 and I am still able to do the things I could do 15 years ago mostly unfettered. I might be a bit slower physically and mentally as well as during recovery but I assure you I am far from the grave.

Condolences to his family.

Most SF pro players are in their 30s

Top Bottom