• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch troll tries to donate $50k then chargeback as a prank. It ends bad.

NotLiquid

I really have no sympathy for chargeback trolls after a friend of mine ended up in debt because of them. Fuck this guy, glad he got what he deserved.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Lé Blade Runner;205522468 said:
Oh man. This is glorious. He basically screwed his financial life for good over a prank.

This. Normally I give sympathy to people in financial problems but this one was self induced for fucking LULZ.

He'd just do a chargeback with his credit card and PayPal will be the ones making a loss.

But good to see PayPal not always siding with the donator. Seen cases where the streamer has made big losses because of trolls like this.

Sounds like lawyers will have to get involved. The family this kid stole from to troll these streamers deserve their money back; hopefully this kid is no longer to have internet access for a long time.

Assuming that it is his parent's money then they should be able to receive it back. There are safeguards in place for fraud like this.

SJRB

Gold Member
Got what he deserved... but side note, are all livestreamers that spastic with the weird popups and gifs and shit?

Some streamers handle it more.. elegantly than others [Lirik for example deals with donations really well], but yeah.. There's no way around it, especially with the popular streamers you have to deal with donations popping up on screen very frequently.

Quonny

Is this legit? Chargeback would mean he used a credit card but you're telling me fraud protection did not kick in almost immediately? No way.

Many, many banks aren't suspicious of PayPal transactions, even in large numbers.

To link a card/bank to PayPal you need to have access to a person's online bank account, physical phone (as almost all banks have ID verification through a text or phone call when you log into a new computer), and the person would have to not notice the two charges that PayPal charges when linking accounts.

Much more difficult to do PayPal fraud than just swiping a card number.

Rellik

Is this legit? Chargeback would mean he used a credit card but you're telling me fraud protection did not kick in almost immediately? No way. Regardless, even with PayPal denying the chargbacks he can still get back his money as it is up to the credit card company really. PayPal will come after him though.

He says on his Twitter that PayPal has banned him from paying out any money now.

idonteven

Some streamers handle it more.. elegantly than others [Lirik for example deals with donations really well], but yeah.. There's no way around it, especially with the popular streamers you have to deal with donations popping up on screen very frequently.

lirik is already stupid rich so its not that "special" anymore for him :p

Crayolan

damn those streamers made like 10k each. And the last girl is hilarious having trouble faking her excitement over the $5 donation right after the $1000 one.

That's a lot of money. He should be able to get it back. Sure he was a dick, but he's a kid.

Yes seriously. Considering the large proportion of people living paycheck to paycheck 50k in sudden debt doesn't ruin lives it ruins families. If his parents aren't rich as fuck you're talking about losing homes outright. PayPal should definitely refund. If not the parents need to due out something.

That's a lot of money. He should be able to get it back. Sure he was a dick, but he's a kid.

What?

This shit again. A so called kid with access to PayPal who wanted to troll the streamer and make sure they paying financially for it when he gets the money back. As PayPal charge the person who gets charge backed with fees.

Was that guy just streaming Alladin while somebody was spamming the same emoji over and over in the chat?

Is there any kind of actual communication with viewers or do they just accept that its going to be incomprehensible and just do whatever and hope for money?

The Flash

Banned
rbI9bFf.gif

~Cross~

Someobe should come in this thread and say that's too harsh.

I mean this is the first time the guy did this, sure the guys that suffered the chargebacks would suffer the immediate impact of having thousands of dollars be charged back on them but Paypal should have given him a second chance, furthermore

/s

Wow, serves him right. If I ever got that kind of donation I wouldn't even believe it if I saw the payment go through. I just wouldn't believe. Luck like that never comes my way.

Neil_J_UK

This incident aside, I just don't understand the logic of giving money to people who stream. I get it, you might enjoy watching them, but is that really all it takes to get you to throw money at them?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
What?

This shit again. A so called kid with access to PayPal who wanted to troll the streamer and make sure they paying financially for it when he gets the money back. As PayPal charge the person who gets charge backed with fees.

I'm sure PayPal wouldn't charge them those fees when it's the fault of the prankster. There're special circumstances for cases such as this.

Quonny

Was that guy just streaming Alladin while somebody was spamming the same emoji over and over in the chat?

Is there any kind of actual communication with viewers or do they just accept that its going to be incomprehensible and just do whatever and hope for money?

They're spamming because of the enormous donation. Whenever something "hype" happens Twitch chat goes nuts. It's not like that 90% of the time for many streamers.

Korgill

Sounds like lawyers will have to get involved. The family this kid stole from to troll these streamers deserve their money back; hopefully this kid is no longer to have internet access for a long time.

Assuming that it is his parent's money then they should be able to receive it back. There are safeguards in place for fraud like this.

Patents are responsible for their kids, they should get nothing back. If he was taking from his parents they should have noticed the money missing at some point.

Top Bottom