• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch troll tries to donate $50k then chargeback as a prank. It ends bad.

imBask

Banned
Yes seriously. Considering the large proportion of people living paycheck to paycheck 50k in sudden debt doesn't ruin lives it ruins families. If his parents aren't rich as fuck you're talking about losing homes outright. PayPal should definitely refund. If not the parents need to due out something.

There are consequences to your action. He had a paypal account and donated money and he got burned doing so

This is not a "my 3 yo kid clicked on buy gems in a mobile game" situation

Interfectum

What's funny, the idiot probably still didn't learn anything from this. He's probably still on the internet right now trolling.

SerTapTap

They really need to make chargebacks harder for stuff like this. Honestly it's SUCH a problem specifically for donations paypal should consider some sort of exception for sites like twitch/gofundme because assholes are ALWAYS trolling these.

Glad he had to pay, deserved to.

sora87

Damn, that's a shit load of money. Reminds me of the overwatch thread, people who were cheating there are fucked unless they build a totally new PC. Now this kid is fucked unless he gets a crazy good job. Harsh but fair?

It's always sad seeing some of these twitch people who get super emotional over being tipped a lot of money only to have it end up as a joke.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wow, you guys are rough.

If this family isn't rich this $50,000 could ruin their lives. Over a prank. That doesn't actually put anyone in danger.

~Cross~

I'm sure PayPal wouldn't charge them those fees when it's the fault of the prankster. There're special circumstances for cases such as this.

The jackass waited an entire month to do the charge back and everything was done entirely in bad faith. That money could have already been spent on rent, food, utilities etc. So the people completely innocent to the ordeal will have to be at the very least inconvenienced, at worst legitimately burdened by the guys actions.

Fuck him

FluxWaveZ

What's funny, the idiot probably still didn't learn anything from this. He's probably still on the internet right now trolling.

Er, if this story is genuine and the chargeback really didn't go through, I 1000% guarantee you that the idiot learned A LOT from this.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Patents are responsible for their kids, they should get nothing back. If he was taking from his parents they should have noticed the money missing at some point.
This.

But there's a defence force for everything on GAF

Man, I forgot how cringy streamer culture is. I legit feel squeamish. That said, the real world is full of punches in the face, maybe he'll learn from this right hook.

Slayven

How did he even have 50k dollars to toss around like that? His parents must be from the Gates family or something.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Who has 50k in real money just to play around with....

Shit I would troll myself buying some top shelf hookers.

Finally, justice is served somewhere.

Congrats to the streamers who can eat "McDonald's for a year".

Man, I forgot how cringy streamer culture is. I legit feel squeamish. That said, the real world is full of punches in the face, maybe he'll learn from this right hook.

Yeah, I noticed this too. After not watching anything on Twitch for a year, all of the donation shit seems so over the top, if not cringe-worthy.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
If he was spending his parents money, there's no way they should have to pay this. That's just complete BS.

Patents are responsible for their kids, they should get nothing back. If he was taking from his parents they should have noticed the money missing at some point.

If this is with a credit card payments would be posted afterwards.

And a child being a complete idiot online does not mean that their parents are neglectful and deserve to lose 50k.

The only reasonable solution for this to stop in the future is to make chargebacks fees come from card holder.

Got what he deserved... but side note, are all livestreamers that spastic with the weird popups and gifs and shit?

A lot of the uber-popular streamers are actually pretty low-key, but for the people who are sort of borderline partners or just starting out, those sorts of things are perceived as a way to add "production value" to set their stream apart from the "just a guy literally picking up a game and streaming cold" streamers.

To be fair, it probably works, even if it's a poor replacement for actually having an engaging personality or providing interesting content.

Wow, you guys are rough.

If this family isn't rich this $50,000 could ruin their lives. Over a prank. That doesn't actually put anyone in danger.
At the same time the streamers shouldn't have to give the money back as well over a prank.
So who pays for the prank? In this case, the ones that started it.

Life's unfair.

This. Let's not forget the goal here in waiting a month was for them to spend some of the money/all of it/whatever and then have to PAY back that cash.

He was trying to fuck over each and every one of them.
Exactly, the whole point of the prank was to make the streamers have to pay back the money. Karma hurts.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If he was spending his parents money, there's no way they should have to pay this. That's just complete BS.

Unless they want to press charges for him stealing their credit cards, they are out of luck. It's their responsibility to keep their accounts away from their child.

PayPal always charges them.

Hence why one of the reasons he has done this. He got everything coming.

This. Let's not forget the goal here in waiting a month was for them to spend some of the money/all of it/whatever and then have to PAY back that cash.

He was trying to fuck over each and every one of them.

LiK

Haha, Fucking dumbass. Good on PP. Read about these stupid trolls and how they can financially ruin some streamers with these chargebacks.

spootime

Doesn't refunding a donation to a streamer actually cost the streamer money? I watch cs go streams a lot and one streamer was saying he lost like ~$400 bucks in paypal fees from some guy refunding thousands of dollars of donations from him.

Asd202

Oh yeah it he was waiting a month to chargeback did the supposed owner of the card notice that $50k is missing? Unless the kid comes from a wealthy family a he had his own card?

LakeEarth

What he was doing was monsterous, but I just can't feel any ... (googles for correct spelling) ... schadenfreude for what has happened to him, especially considering it was probably using his parents money. I just hope they're rich.

There are consequences to your action. He had a paypal account and donated money and he got burned doing so

This is not a "my 3 yo kid clicked on buy gems in a mobile game" situation

I'm not sure "burned" is the right adjective to describe how utterly monumental a 50k debt is. Imagine a sudden doubling of your expenses. I know for a fact my life would be ruined. It was a stupid prank by someone who clearly doesn't understand money and likely was spending his parents money who made the unfortunate mistake of trusting their son. The kid deserves punishment, but not to have his life shot to bits. His family definitely doesn't deserve the same.

A lot of the uber-popular streamers are actually pretty low-key, but for the people who are sort of borderline partners or just starting out, those sorts of things are perceived as a way to add "production value" to set their stream apart from the "just a guy literally picking up a game and streaming cold" streamers.

To be fair, it probably works, even if it's a poor replacement for actually having an engaging personality or providing interesting content.
What age bracket does this kind of streaming usually target? I'm only 23 and I feel like a crotchety old man for thinking this is inane and ephemeral.

scitek

Would it kill YouTubers to learn some standards with regards to audio levels and whatnot? Fuck's sake, you have to juggle the volume from clip to clip.

Tiops

Wow, you guys are rough.

But it does, if you get the money from Paypal and the person that donated charges back, you have to pay it back. People already got screwed by this a lot of times, if you search a little you can see tons of people recommending not taking donations from twitch because of the risk of shitheads like this kid trying to prank other with fake donations. He did this "prank" with the ill intent of fucking someone over.

It's totally deserved.

Which responsible parent leaves their kid in charge of a credit card that has a limit of $50,000 or over?

Not a responsible one.

Top Bottom