• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft collectors editions will no longer offer physical discs on Xbox

Rolla

Banned
Digital codes instead/only for

ASSASSIN’S CREED VALHALLA
FAR CRY 6
WATCH DOGS: LEGION

giphy.gif

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I also hope more companies don't start doing this. I will just buy regular editions then....assuming they still come with discs. That's lost money for them.

NickFire

I second the WTF?

This is really strange. At first I thought maybe they are worried about complaints from people who have digital only (which I assume Series S will be) and buy the game without realizing the discs are useless for digital only. But that makes no sense because we know PS5 has an all digital console too. Next guess is maybe MS is moving straight to discs being worthless without a code anyway like they were planning (I believe) for current gen before changing course after the Sony disc share video. But wouldn't that have leaked by now?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Their data probably shows Xbox customers are more likely to buy digital. Not being able to get any physical collectors edition things has been one of the only drawbacks of going all digital. This solves that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We know that PC gamers don't usually buy games at full retail prices, and usually wait for major sales, that's why they're neglectable by the likes of Rockstar. Maybe previous collectors edition didn't succeed in the xbox platform?

Last edited:

Bridges

Well, if it's true that Series S will not have a disk drive, maybe they're anticipating the vast majority of their Xbox sales to come from S owners.

Purely anecdotal but nobody I know (including myself) buys physical for Xbox anymore anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they have the numbers to make this make sense

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sounds reasonable. Still odd though.

It makes sense if Cross Buy on PS4 are all different skus meaning it needs the disc to be able to verify you have the game.

Where as smart delievery I believe is just a single sku across all platforms.

Last edited:

onQ123

Don't worry they are gonna get the disc out to you guys through smart delivery you wouldn't want some dumb UPS or FedEx driver handling your games would you?

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Could this have anything to do with Sony not selling digital full game downloads anymore? All they sell are codes for DLC.

MacReady13

Apparently this is the future we wanted? Fucking hell they are MAKING us HAVE this as the future. More and more I revert back to retro gaming...

Aranea

No much point on grabbing the Xbox collector's edition if the game is on digital format. Really weird decision from Ubisoft.

Krisprolls

Banned
It's only the beginning for Xbox owners. With gamepass they'll gradually become 2nd class citizens for publishers.

No more discs for collectors editions, no next gen exclusive from MS 1st party, then waiting for months for every major 3rd party game Sony has signed as a timed exclusive.

Why not simply buy a PS5 like everybody else at this point and get all that plus every Sony AAA exclusive ?

It's likely because Collector's Editions are (by design) the most expensive SKU to make, which in turn means they're the most limited SKU of any game, which in turn means they are almost always the least selling SKU of any game. So if the PlayStation version of a CE is going to do low numbers, then the Xbox version of the same CE is doing even less. For example, if the last AssCreed's CE did 50,000 on PS4, it probably did 10,000 or less on Xbox One.

With that in mind, removing the disc from the Xbox version makes sense. If they can save money by removing instruction manuals, the next logical step is to remove the disc entirely. More savings, more money.

Fun fact: Collector's Editions of a bunch of other shit rarely (if ever) sell well. For example, you might have a regular/standard edition of a backpack that sells 200,000 units, and then the limited edition of that same backpack selling 20,000 units. The limited/collector's edition almost always costs more money, so retailers don't want to stock shit -- especially bulky items -- that they'll have a harder time to move. An Olympics Edition, a Championship Edition, and a Pink Ribbon Edition are some of the few limited editions that put up big numbers in comparison to the regular/non-limited product.

llLeonhart

Who said anything about digital cross buy not working?

It's about different SKUs.
Doesn't make much sense to me.

If it were different SKUs, that would mean that a physical PS4 version would not work on PS5. Would it? The disc would simply work as a key to download the PS5 SKU, or you would be stuck with the PS4 version in backward compatibility mode.

Either way, it doesn't make sense.

I think it's very likely due to low demand. Not to say that PS>Xbox, only that maybe Xbox gamers are more digital than PS owners.

Stuart360

It's only the beginning for Xbox owners. With gamepass they'll gradually become 2nd class citizens for publishers.

No more discs for collectors editions, no next gen exclusive from MS 1st party, then waiting for months for every major 3rd party game Sony has signed as a timed exclusive.

Why not simply buy a PS5 like everybody else at this point and get all that plus every Sony AAA exclusive ?
Jesus do we always have to have these Xbox doomsday scenarios over every little thing that comes up?. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom