• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft collectors editions will no longer offer physical discs on Xbox

martino

This guy. ^

KbDNH60y5vRYZQkVFuLT7JcQ_ifM6QmNkUPR4u4eBpYWPg2WCG93leUV81Z6XJ8gNPZIhKewf4f1HCrbJiWWs8Ofh-e-Kp01toZcYLMud2ErjZwyO5yVE1oVXdfXqeixDD3ZQWO124cTwU7M3bqA1fVbAompWj0qa5U

Youve never even bought a Ubisoft collectors edition....shut up!

Totally wrong. The physical disk has no value to the collector because its exactly the same as the standard edition disk.
Unless you are literally collecting disks then its utterly pointless.
But for people who display their collectors edition stuff, the disk might as well not even exist.
wrong !
still got this one
874729556.jpg

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Maybe now that there's going to be SKU's without disc drives for consoles, Sony agreed to allow both a disc and digital code with each collector's edition while Microsoft declined? I can't think of any other reason.

Jadsey

I am now looking for the obligatory recent quote from Phil Spencer categorically stating that all future collectors editions will definitely have physical discs....

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Closer and closer to PC gaming from backwards compatibility to the way games are delivered. This is how my Diablo 3 special edition came in 2012.

Hostile_18

Banned
Games on Xbox dont sell much, so saving cost by not manufacturing discs. PS is where money at both for physical and digital.

Still makes no sense. Collectors editions nearly always use the discs of the standard edition + DLC codes.

Plus good sales is all relative, I guarantee the numbers are there. X Box is hardly a small brand with a small user base.

INC

Who buys ubisoft collector editions anyway? Unless they're in the bargain bin a few months later

Only thing I'm taking is that for cross buy PS4 needs the disc while Xbox doesn't.

And that doesnt make sense either

Because then both are the same:

Xbox needs disc/digital for cross buy -> they make it digital -> cross buy

Playstation uses disc for cross buy -> works on PS5 too, as does digital versions too

There is no reason for either have situation where disc Works between gens but digital doesnt.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And that doesnt make sense either

Because then both are the same:

Xbox needs disc/digital for cross buy -> they make it digital -> cross buy

Playstation uses disc for cross buy -> works on PS5 too, as does digital versions too

There is no reason for either have situation where disc Works between gens but digital doesnt.

Was already explained how they handle licenses different in the the thread.

sn0man

I never understood the point of having a collector's edition of something digital. Just makes no sense to me. Collector's edition book? Bring it. Digital game that I have some physical crap for but no disc? What the hell is the point?
You’re going to show those license keys to your kids in 30 years. They’ll see how into being a serious collector you were. Obviously they can’t... well enjoy that license cause the server is down but that alphanumeric code. Oh boy. Serious collecting.

sn0man

I wonder how much the piece of paper with the download code will run a budding collector years from now. Shockingly retarded move.
You don’t understand the point of collecting duh hur hur hur. It’s the convenience of not swapping discs. I don’t want to actually collect something so that it’s mine.

Duh huh, what’s the point of owning something when I’m a collector?!?!?!

/s

sn0man

Given the fact that consoles now have digital no disc drive SKUs it is surprising that they are launching editions with a disc at all. Moving to "Collector's Boxes" that do not contain the game at all and working with retailers to bundle customer's choice of a physical copy or digital code is would be the best way to handle it IMO.
This is really clever. That’s super smart and sadly at least Ubi didn’t go this route.

DaGwaphics

Well, this lends credence to XSS being all digital. Ubi probably fears that most users will be on the digital sku and still wants to sell them these junk boxes with figurines and all that. Putting a disk and key in the box would lead to shenanigans on the gray market, no doubt.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I suspect this is just a cynical cash grab aimed at forcing those who buy collectors editions to have to double dip.

They know that many collectors want to have the physically complete package on their shelves. By selling the game as a separate physical release and then the collectors edition as digital only they're likely hoping that collectors will buy a physical standard copy as well as the collectors edition in order to have said complete package.

The digital copy costs them little to nothing so essentially they're just trying on those collectors packs that came without the games that they previously tried (unsuccessfully) selling but adding in a digital code to avoid the previous stink that such tactics kicked up.

Scummy buggers.

sn0man

I think this is related to the Series S if it doesn't have a disc drive and Ubisoft are expecting the vast majority of Xbox sales to be Series S what use would a disc be.
So why are we pretending that they are doing it for an unannounced console?

Yet as of right now the PS5 is the only console announced with a disc less version?

What are the people that bought the DE going to do when they get a disc In their CE?

They gonna be PS 5AD.

yeah the divide between Sony and MS doesn’t make sense. we assume XSS is SAD but don’t know it. Whereas PS5 already announced DE.

if we are going by the “Ubisoft knows something” theory what they might know is general pricing.

maybe XSS $349 PS5DE $399 PS5 $449 XSX $499 and they are inferring unit sales.

maybe (I’d argue more likely) Microsoft came up with a smarter license system. Maybe xsx game codes are tied to the disc. Like the code is destructive and works until the console detects the corresponding game is placed into the drive. Then it reverts to a physical license.

Xbox requires online setup to play games on xbone consoles. I assume XSX will require an online connection to complete setup to. Might as well stay on and download your game data.

MastaKiiLA

I don't see an issue. Physical media fans will still get a shiny box to put on a shelf in their hovel, to show off to their GILF gfs who are turned on by outdated junk displayed on shelves. The only downside I see is that they aren't providing the option to get the game code packaged in a dust-covered peach jar or cigarette tin.

Last edited:

AGRacing

If there is a console with a disc drive and another without.... They cut off all owners of the disc-less machine from buying the collectors edition. This way any Series S or X owner has access to the "whale edition" of the game.

Bryank75

Banned
If only there was a word for this.... an action that really is not in the interest of the customer.....
A really catchy word that is easy to repeat, like: anti-patron or counter-end-user!

Goalus

It's great to see Xbox leading this trend. Leave the pollution of the environment to Sony and Nintendo.

Bryank75

Banned
In another few years they will just have a picture of what used to come in collectors editions in a large box along with the code for 200 dollars......

Some people will rationalize by saying you are paying for the experience of opening the big box and the statue is quickly forgotten after it is put on a shelf!

Last edited:

Three

I could be wrong but I believe the process when purchasing a game on play station that has Cross by it simply gives you licenses for each platform as different SKUs. Essentially giving you two licenses.

On the Xbox side of things it's one SKU giving you one license across all platforms.

If you're making collectors editions for PlayStation you have to specify what version is which. You can't put a digital code in the box for PS4 without putting one in for PS5 as well meaning you have to give up two licenses. Which then could be flipped, stolen, etc.
How does that make sense when it's tied to the user? Crossbuy hasn't worked like this before between PS3 and PS4 unless you know something about next gen that has changed.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
How does that make sense when it's tied to the user? Crossbuy hasn't worked like this before between PS3 and PS4 unless you know something about next gen that has changed.

A license is tied to the user. Doesn't change the fact that it's different licenses for each platform.

A PS3 license and a PS4/Vita license etc.

DaGwaphics

How does a PS5 DE user purchase a boxed version with a disk? If they include a digital code along with the game, okay, what stops you from selling the disk? The DE can never validate the disk, and if the disk somehow gets tied directly to a specific user account, then Sony would be doing everything that X1 got smacked for in the beginning. Killing the used market and all that.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
How does a PS5 DE user purchase a boxed version with a disk? If they include a digital code along with the game, okay, what stops you from selling the disk? The DE can never validate the disk, and if the disk somehow gets tied directly to a specific user account, then Sony would be doing everything that X1 got smacked for in the beginning. Killing the used market and all that.
You'd be aware that you typically buy CE's and would therefor not buy the DE....

There may also be digital versions of the CE's and separate physical ones.

DaGwaphics

You'd be aware that you typically buy CE's and would therefor not buy the DE....

There may also be digital versions of the CE's and separate physical ones.

Absolutely, so, you'd need multiple skus, and I'm sure that is what will be offered. MS is pushing for single skus across platforms.

Three

A license is tied to the user. Doesn't change the fact that it's different licenses for each platform.

A PS3 license and a PS4/Vita license etc.
So how can you sell your other licence without selling your account?doesn't make sense.

So your'e saying that there is both a Disc and download code? Why would that be the case when you can have a disc that reads on all?

Not like discs are worth anything these days anyway with the day one patches.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So your'e saying that there is both a Disc and download code? Why would that be the case when you can have a disc that reads on all?

You are saying that. It's the only way you could do a collectors edition with a disk and have it work with the DE.

Three

You are saying that. It's the only way you could do a collectors edition with a disk and have it work with the DE.
I'm not saying that nikana is saying there are 2 licences and somehow they can sell off one of them. It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway MS pulled this with the Halo 5 collectors edition. No disc. Later after backlash and a petition from the community they offered the option to send in your code to convert to a disc. Why Ubisoft is not offering a disc just with the xbox version of their CEs is still a mystery to me though.

Redlight

It's only the beginning for Xbox owners. With gamepass they'll gradually become 2nd class citizens for publishers.

No more discs for collectors editions, no next gen exclusive from MS 1st party, then waiting for months for every major 3rd party game Sony has signed as a timed exclusive.

Why not simply buy a PS5 like everybody else at this point and get all that plus every Sony AAA exclusive ?
No next gen exclusive from MS 1st party? But if I buy a PS5 I get exclusive MS first party?

Actually, I don't want to ruin your little fantasy, so let me help...

Word is that Sony has secretly patented gaming itself and MS will only find out years from now, forcing them to pay billions in damages. MS won't be able to afford it and will have to surrender their assets to Sony who will then bankroll Jim Ryan's successful run at the presidency and cement the new era of Sony/American exceptionalism.

PS6 studies will be compulsory in schools and any talk of teraflops or power will be banned. Still no universal healthcare, however everyone will have a really fucking fast SSD.

Last edited:

DogofWar

But why the COLLECTORS edition?
If there are any niche part of the market who will want to keep buying discs it would be the ones buying the collector editions?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So how can you sell your other licence without selling your account?doesn't make sense.

Again I could be wrong, but I believe when a game was bought via cross buy on a disc it came with a code for the other version in PlayStations eco system. I don't know of any games that were cross buy digitally that were sold in stores on PlayStation.

If you put a digital code in the box you would need two codes for it to support cross buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom