• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft collectors editions will no longer offer physical discs on Xbox

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Doesn't make much sense to me.

If it were different SKUs, that would mean that a physical PS4 version would not work on PS5. Would it? The disc would simply work as a key to download the PS5 SKU, or you would be stuck with the PS4 version in backward compatibility mode.

Either way, it doesn't make sense.

I think it's very likely due to low demand. Not to say that PS>Xbox, only that maybe Xbox gamers are more digital than PS owners.

I could be wrong but I believe the process when purchasing a game on play station that has Cross by it simply gives you licenses for each platform as different SKUs. Essentially giving you two licenses.

On the Xbox side of things it's one SKU giving you one license across all platforms.

If you're making collectors editions for PlayStation you have to specify what version is which. You can't put a digital code in the box for PS4 without putting one in for PS5 as well meaning you have to give up two licenses. Which then could be flipped, stolen, etc.

Playstation has a bigger reach in developing & emerging markets where physical copies are more important. Xbox is largely concentrated in US/UK so more focus on digital won't be an issue.

You can see this already with official console bundles. Xbox One bundles have DL codes while it's still physical for PS4.

Aceofspades

Banned
Its mainly about demand, I bet Xbox contribution to Ubisoft is less than 10% makes perfect sense to do that.

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
Playstation has a bigger reach in developing & emerging markets where physical copies are more important. Xbox is largely concentrated in US/UK so more focus on digital won't be an issue.

You can see this already with official console bundles. Xbox One bundles have DL codes while it's still physical for PS4.
Correct :messenger_ok:

Microsoft wants to sell GamePass no physical games so Ubisoft might as well save some pennies

I don’t own an Xbox so maybe I don’t understand how it works, but isn’t Gamepass a rotating library of games that you pay a flat fee to play? I think with these you’re actually buying the game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yeah, no, If I'm spending $100+ on a CE it better come with a disc or no sale.

The collectors editions main selling point is the collectors items, the disk itself is secondary so having a download code makes more sense, you still get all the pretty stuff you want to collect while you can still swap in and out of the game without needing to physically remove the disks.

Im actually surprised Ubi is doing a disk for the PS5 considering Sony is the only company that has announced a diskless SKU thats likely to be more popular.

By end of gen this is going to be the norm.
But for now lets be outraged.
RAR RARR ARRRA RARA! Outrage!

hitman-collectors-edition.jpg

4152a31d0b4ddf45338420b31717be9d.jpg

reddead2box.jpg

91RFsh0ACsL._SL1500_.jpg

LOL a digital collector edition haha who will actually pay more for a digital collector edition i mean it hold no more value than the regular digital game it basically the same thing just different name.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
LOLWUT

Isn't the whole idea of buying a collectors editions is to have some physical stuff?
Then what's the fucking point of a physical release? They might just as well sell the box with just one note in there that says "fuck you, lol.".
LOL a digital collector edition haha
Yes, the point of a collectors edition that comes with physical stuff is the physical stuff......which you still get here. Only now you get a digital copy of the game so you don’t need to change discs. This is what the all digital people have been wanting!

Just remember - digital sales now outnumber physical sales. This will appeal to more people. This means digital game + collectors items, which is great.

Black_Stride

LOL a digital collector edition haha who will actually pay more for a digital collector edition i mean it hold no more value than the regular digital game it basically the same thing just different name.
You obviously dont know what collectors editions are....maybe you are thinking of other special editions that have ingame differences.

The collectors editions main selling point is the collectors items, the disk itself is secondary so having a download code makes more sense, you still get all the pretty stuff you want to collect while you can still swap in and out of the game without needing to physically remove the disks.

Im actually surprised Ubi is doing a disk for the PS5 considering Sony is the only company that has announced a diskless SKU thats likely to be more popular.

reddead2box.jpg

91RFsh0ACsL._SL1500_.jpg

kretos

Banned
Why would anyone buy an Xbox at this point? it's only going to get worse

invest your money smartly people and buy a PS5 or you gonna regret it --> life pro tip, free of charge

Last edited:

Patterson

It seems like Ubisoft knows there's not enough demand on the Xbox side so might as well save money and be conservative with estimates.

Nymphae

Banned
I wonder how much the piece of paper with the download code will run a budding collector years from now. Shockingly retarded move.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Since it was already posted i keep it simple:
WellThereItIs.gif

Seriously Is anyone surprised that this would come one day?
All we can do now is to show them that this isnt wanted buy simply not buying their trash.

Dane

WTF is wrong with ubisoft?

Crazy Theory:

They do not want to invest too much in Xbox physical copies because they think people will just wait for it to come on Game Pass. 🤔

There's no Ubisoft game on Gamepass

Third world countries can't barely afford these editions

t. brazilian

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Why would anyone buy an Xbox at this point? it's only going to get worse

invest your money smartly people and buy a PS5 or you gonna regret it --> life pro tip, free of charge

Getting a digital edition of the PS5.......cant be bothered to buy the Collectors edition, sell the disk alone then buy the game digitally.

Dane

According to Polygon, it doesn't affect North America.

Still, WTF is wrong Ubisoft? Discs are like the cheapest thing to produce in these editions.

TBiddy

"makes". And you cared enough to answer.

Aww, I made a typo on my mobile in my second language. I’ll live.

I don’t care about the lack of physical disk. Apparantly you do, even though you never had the slightest intention of buying it. That, my friend, is odd.

Damigos

I could justify their decision not to include disks in collectors editions.
But i cant explain why only on XSX and not on PS5

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Getting a digital edition of the PS5.......cant be bothered to buy the Collectors edition, sell the disk alone then buy the game digitally.
I don't understand why some people are so much "anti-disc". A single dvd cover doesn't take a ton of space on the shelf and the disc spins in the drive only for a short time when you boot the game.

MaulerX

reddead2box.jpg

91RFsh0ACsL._SL1500_.jpg

Yea I was going to say this is hardly the first time this has happened. This is what I call 'Cherry Picked Outrage'. Because I don't remember any outrage for any of those games.

BlackM1st

Banned
Yes, the point of a collectors edition that comes with physical stuff is the physical stuff......which you still get here. Only now you get a digital copy of the game so you don’t need to change discs. This is what the all digital people have been wanting!

Just remember - digital sales now outnumber physical sales. This will appeal to more people. This means digital game + collectors items, which is great.
So... why even bother with a code inside the box and the whole "game edition" shtick?

Just sell toys/items separately and make them 60$ cheaper?

I'm 100% digital since PS3 man. Why would I wait for (usually delayed) physical release of the collectors edition if I can download my game day 0?

And since I'm already have a digital game on my HDD, what should I do with a useless code I paid additional 60$ for? Go to some website and bother myself with reselling the code? Bah, such a hassle.

If you ask me, dorks from Borderlands 3 marketing team did it right. They just sold you toys without any game whatsoever.

rtQUnGy.jpg

Black_Stride

I don't understand why some people are so much "anti-disc". A single dvd cover doesn't take a ton of space on the shelf and the disc spins in the drive only for a short time when you boot the game.

Because my TV and my couch arent right next to each other.
When I want to go from one game to another i dont want to have to travel to do a disk swap.....Im not a fucking animal.
The physical space it takes up isnt the problem, ive got a bookshelf for that sort of shit. The effort around it when I have an easier solution is unnecessary.

You have no idea how many times ive had gameX in the drive, wanting to play gameY, but I turn on my console on and as im getting comfortable on the couch I realize which disk is in the drive.
My day is now ruined.

Worse still, im playing gameY my friend pops up online and invites me to play gameZ, if i was civilized I would literally just accept the invite and the game would boot up and we could go on our merry way......but no im a fucking neanderthal so i have to get up pull the disk out, find the gameZ disk place that in the console, then accept the invite.

My friends look at me sideways and dont believe ive actually got a degree in computer science.

PS5DE for life!
It looks prettier too.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So... why even bother with a code inside the box and the whole "game edition" shtick?

Just sell toys/items separately and make them 60$ cheaper?

I'm 100% digital since PS3 man. Why would I wait for (usually delayed) physical release of the collectors edition if I can download my game day 0?

And since I'm already have a digital game on my HDD, what should I do with a useless code I paid additional 60$ for? Go to some website and bother myself with reselling the code? Bah, such a hassle.

If you ask me, dorks from Borderlands 3 marketing team did it right. They just sold you toys without any game whatsoever.

rtQUnGy.jpg
Of course just selling it by itself would be even better, but this is better than what we currently have.

currently you can either buy a digital copy and a retail copy to get this content and a digital copy, or only buy physical to get it. This is better than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom