• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft collectors editions will no longer offer physical discs on Xbox

Karmic Raze

When I was tempted into buying CE’s before, I HATED the fact that I had to have the game on disc. I’d welcome to change to a digital copy being included with it. I don’t buy the CE’s for the damn physical copy anyways. Honestly though, I’m probably not going to be buying anymore CE’s unless it’s an anime game that I HAVE to have and that’s about it. Fuck the rest, I say.

EDIT: I’ve been digital only except for my CE’s for years now.

Last edited:

martino

One more reason i will not own an xbox then.
I have zero confidence a closed box and will let me play my games down the road when the commercial exploitation has ended.
i know i can take care and will be able to use my disks for most of my life (if not all).

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Given the fact that consoles now have digital no disc drive SKUs it is surprising that they are launching editions with a disc at all. Moving to "Collector's Boxes" that do not contain the game at all and working with retailers to bundle customer's choice of a physical copy or digital code is would be the best way to handle it IMO.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And game makers wonder why gamers don't want to go over $60 for games.

Ever since the cartridge days, game makers have increased sales and cut costs using endless means:

- Gaming industry revenue has never been higher
- Collector editions
- Digital medium
- DLC and microtrans
- Discs are cheap. Cartridge rom chips cost a lot
- Games are kept alive on a digital marketplace so game sales can still go on for 10 years or more if they want. Just let it sit there. At some point with physical, there' no more reprints

Now UBI is saving another 25 cents on a disc.

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
Prove it.

pA5GUrd.jpg

Rockman33

And game makers wonder why gamers don't want to go over $60 for games.

Ever since the cartridge days, game makers have increased sales and cut costs using endless means:

- Gaming industry revenue has never been higher
- Collector editions
- Digital medium
- DLC and microtrans
- Discs are cheap. Cartridge rom chips cost a lot
- Games are kept alive on a digital marketplace so game sales can still go on for 10 years or more if they want. Just let it sit there. At some point with physical, there' no more reprints

Now UBI is saving another 25 cents on a disc.
Cut costs? Games cost more than ever to make these days. Games used to have 1-2 year dev cycles during the cartridge days. They can now take upwards of 5 years.

Last edited:

Pallas

Weird strategy coming from Ubisoft. Thankfully I no longer care about special editions. Most the time it’s cheap trinkets that are heavily overpriced.

Would like to hear their reasoning but I doubt we will, instead we will get some hot take from Insider #3567 about either Sony money hatting a physical version(because why not), Xbox is just too dead for a physical copy including in their collectors edition, or Ubisoft is in Gamepasses future.

It’s probably none of the above and something more ridiculous.

Playstation has a bigger reach in developing & emerging markets where physical copies are more important. Xbox is largely concentrated in US/UK so more focus on digital won't be an issue.

You can see this already with official console bundles. Xbox One bundles have DL codes while it's still physical for PS4.

I ain't even mad, digital for life since 2013. Its so hawt and appealing when I run my 5tb and everything's there categorically organized. Boot up your library with just one click.

And goddamnit, it's 2020.!!

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I could justify their decision not to include disks in collectors editions.
But i cant explain why only on XSX and not on PS5

Unless they’re changing it back for PS5, Sony doesn’t do digital game codes anymore on PSN, only DLC. It’s been a long time since you’ve been able to buy a digital code for new PS4 games.

Sony still puts physical disks in their console bundles instead of codes, so its possible this a mandate from Sony to include physical copies.

So... why even bother with a code inside the box and the whole "game edition" shtick?

Just sell toys/items separately and make them 60$ cheaper?

I'm 100% digital since PS3 man. Why would I wait for (usually delayed) physical release of the collectors edition if I can download my game day 0?

And since I'm already have a digital game on my HDD, what should I do with a useless code I paid additional 60$ for? Go to some website and bother myself with reselling the code? Bah, such a hassle.

If you ask me, dorks from Borderlands 3 marketing team did it right. They just sold you toys without any game whatsoever.

rtQUnGy.jpg

No troll, being serious here...but do people really buy stuff like this..like that?..I don't think i've bought a collectors edition of anything since like....early ps3/xbox 360 days and even then it was just like 1 or 2 joints.

I barely even buy DLC unless its a story expansion for a game I reaaaaaallly like. Are people really buying these big sets of stuff like that? Do they sell well?

I really don't know. I always wondered that shxt

Aidah

That's fine, I don't buy physical games on Xbox anyway.... (I don't buy digital games on Xbox either).

teezzy

Banned
People who buy collectors editions in 2021 should be given wedgies anyhow.

Leave that shit to the weebs.

Kagey K

Banned
Weren’t we just railing in collectors editions having no game o code in them?

Now at least they include the game, but we still hate them?

Also NA editions seem to still have the discs it’s just n other markets they don’t, or did we overlook that?

Ulsterman

Neo Member
I think this is related to the Series S if it doesn't have a disc drive and Ubisoft are expecting the vast majority of Xbox sales to be Series S what use would a disc be.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I think this is related to the Series S if it doesn't have a disc drive and Ubisoft are expecting the vast majority of Xbox sales to be Series S what use would a disc be.
So why are we pretending that they are doing it for an unannounced console?

Yet as of right now the PS5 is the only console announced with a disc less version?

What are the people that bought the DE going to do when they get a disc In their CE?

They gonna be PS 5AD.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
They've probably got sales stats to make these decisions. Like CE sold, CE SKU detected on live. They're not going to purposefully hurt their bottom line on a whim. I wonder if it's to do with smart delivery - aka the Xbox will just download the right version, whereas the PS5 needs the disc to play the PS5 patched versions.

Also relevant

....to clarify that this doesn't apply to North American Collector's Editions - physical discs will be provided for all platforms in that region.
- Link

Last edited:

Ulsterman

Neo Member
So why are we pretending that they are doing it for an unannounced console?

Yet as of right now the PS5 is the only console announced with a disc less version?

What are the people that bought the DE going to do when they get a disc In their CE?

They gonna be PS 5AD.

That's a good point as I said think it comes down to sales of the systems in question if the unconfirmed S was to outsell the X 5/1

Kagey K

Banned
That's a good point as I said think it comes down to sales of the systems in question if the unconfirmed S was to outsell the X 5/1
or the confirmed, what if the disc less PS5 outsells the one with a disc 5/1.

How do you justify selling them a disc they can’t play?

Ulsterman

Neo Member
or the confirmed, what if the disc less PS5 outsells the one with a disc 5/1.

How do you justify selling them a disc they can’t play?

Even at the the 5/1 ratio on PS side that's enough systems to warrant the production cost, whatever the reason you can bet it's to do with money.

Kagey K

Banned
Even at the the 5/1 ratio on PS side that's enough systems to warrant the production cost, whatever the reason you can bet it's to do with money.
I don’t think you understood what I meant. The 5/1 was every Ps5 with a disc drive vs every PS5 without one.

Perhaps you should stop looking for wars and read into the words typed.

Last edited:

Ulsterman

Neo Member
I don’t think you understood what I meant. The 5/1 was every Ps5 with a disc drive vs every PS5 without one.

Perhaps you should stop looking for wars and read into the words typed.

In your reply you stated the disc less would outsell the disc version 5/1 and yes I understood it and that's what my reply was in relation to.

Kagey K

Banned
In your reply you stated the disc less would outsell the disc version 5/1 and yes I understood it and that's what my reply was in relation to.
So how do you tell the people that want the Collectors Edition that they can’t play the game, because they bought the disc less drive PS5?

This was my question before it got derailed.

Last edited:

Ulsterman

Neo Member
So how do you tell the people that want the Collectors Edition that they can’t play the game, because they bought the disc less drive PS5?

This was my question before it got derailed.

Your being very silly they can play the game simple buy the digital version. Have a nice day

Kagey K

Banned
Your being very silly they can play the game simple buy the digital version. Have a nice day
How do you get all the collectible goodies on the digital version?

The statues going to randomly appear on thier digital shelves?

Isnt that the only reason to get the CE editions now?

Yet you dismiss it as silly?

If it wasn’t for all that physical stuff would Collectors editions exist and why would they matter?

Last edited:

Ulsterman

Neo Member
How do you get all the collectible goodies on the digital version?

The statues going to randomly appear on thier digital shelves?

Isnt that the only reason to get the CE editions now?

Yet you dismiss it as silly?

If it wasn’t for all that physical stuff would Collectors editions exist and why would they matter?

Anyway not sure about your million questions but back on point I still think it comes down to sales and system in question that the topic is about. If you have any questions on how the CE will work on any other system please forward it to Ubisoft.

Kagey K

Banned
Anyway not sure about your million questions but back on point I still think it comes down to sales and system in question that the topic is about. If you have any questions on how the CE will work on any other system please forward it to Ubisoft.
😂😂😂😂😂
pI don’t know why I waste my own time.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
No troll, being serious here...but do people really buy stuff like this..like that?..I don't think i've bought a collectors edition of anything since like....early ps3/xbox 360 days and even then it was just like 1 or 2 joints.

I barely even buy DLC unless its a story expansion for a game I reaaaaaallly like. Are people really buying these big sets of stuff like that? Do they sell well?

I really don't know. I always wondered that shxt

cormack12

Gold Member
Can you even play games day 1 anymore without a patch?

This is a serious question, I've been digital this whole gen.

Yeah you just play the shipped code. Unfortunately the amount of day 1 patches with actual critical bugfixes has increased so the experience won't be perfect.

IDappa

Then what's the fucking point of a physical release? They might just as well sell the box with just one note in there that says "fuck you, lol.".
This is for collector edition isn't it?, So I'm assuming it's their figurines/statues with extra shit like lore books. They should just offer the statues without the game at all and one with the game included.

Edit. I see people have already mentioned this after your comment. My bad.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Crazy Theory:

They do not want to invest too much in Xbox physical copies because they think people will just wait for it to come on Game Pass. 🤔

A crazier one: That Epic stakes Sony have, is playing some nasty hand in the dark... maybe? IDK

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
One more reason i will not own an xbox then.
I have zero confidence a closed box and will let me play my games down the road when the commercial exploitation has ended.
i know i can take care and will be able to use my disks for most of my life (if not all).

This guy. ^

KbDNH60y5vRYZQkVFuLT7JcQ_ifM6QmNkUPR4u4eBpYWPg2WCG93leUV81Z6XJ8gNPZIhKewf4f1HCrbJiWWs8Ofh-e-Kp01toZcYLMud2ErjZwyO5yVE1oVXdfXqeixDD3ZQWO124cTwU7M3bqA1fVbAompWj0qa5U

Youve never even bought a Ubisoft collectors edition....shut up!

Collector editions with no disk has no value for collectors.

Totally wrong. The physical disk has no value to the collector because its exactly the same as the standard edition disk.
Unless you are literally collecting disks then its utterly pointless.
But for people who display their collectors edition stuff, the disk might as well not even exist.

Portugeezer

They probably sell like crap on Xbox, the market is almost a third of the PS4's and these expensive versions sell less as it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom