• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft wants "less and less storytelling" in their games.

Which Ubisoft trend from this generation do you enjoy the most?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wouldn't care if this statement were coming from Team Ico, thatgamecompany, id, or Fromsoft. The difference is that those developers know how to blend gameplay with other elements that enhance the experience, whether that be atmosphere in the Souls games, or Austin Wintory's excellent score that helps elevate Journey above and beyond. Ubisoft is not like that at all.

Kinyou

This reads to me like they're using this as an excuse to have a minimalist narrative.

I'm fine with cutting back on the story budget by a large margin, but ideally we should still have cheesy cutscenes. Of course, this is not the western way of doing things.
That's probably one of the issues. With graphics evolving so much the budget for cutscenes must go up and up. A triple A game that doesn't use performance capture for the actors has become very rare.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wouldn't care if this statement were coming from Team Ico, thatgamecompany, id, or Fromsoft. The difference is that those developers know how to blend gameplay with other elements that enhance the experience, whether that be atmosphere in the Souls games, or Austin Wintory's excellent score that helps elevate Journey above and beyond. Ubisoft is not like that at all.
They aren't talking about making games like Journey or Souls.

Tosyn_88

It gets tiresome when people think these things cannot coexist. It's rather sad to think people would rather remove a message from a work of art because they want teh mechanix. Can we not have both??

FStop7

Banned
Assassin's Creed 2 was one of the best games they ever made. Seems bizarre to move further away from that but whatevs. Soon enough they're going to be Vivendi's mobile game shovelware factory so story based content isn't a problem they'll need to contend with in either case.

I know, they're talking about "games as services", and are trying to compete (and likely fail once more) against Destiny, which even then also has an explicit story with cutscenes, and is enhanced by the added backstory of its setting. Now if only it had an actual good story...

So they shouldn't even try? It's not like they don't have the talent. They made Valiant Hearts and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, the former offering an intimate story during the Great War and the latter cleverly linking the gameplay with the narrative

Jb

Assassin's Creed 2 was one of the best games they ever made. Seems bizarre to move further away from that but whatevs. Soon enough they're going to be Vivendi's mobile game shovelware factory so story based content isn't a problem they'll need to contend with in either case.

That was seven years ago dude. I also feel like it's remembered this fondly mostly because of how big of an improvement it was over the first game. If you go back to it it's got all the design problems, jank and poor narrative pacing that people associate with modern AC games.

Timeaisis

Cool, Assassin's Creed being up it's own ass invariably turned me off to that series. Just give me some fun city traversal and assassinations.

A game without story must be either multiplayer or fast paced. Ubi games are really slow and often focus on the tactical aspect or fancy animations. I don't see how this could work out for them.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So they shouldn't even try? It's not like they don't have the talent. They made Valiant Hearts and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, the former offering an intimate story during the Great War and the latter cleverly linking the gameplay with the narrative
I meant in terms of their most expensive games. Not the smaller affairs.

Karak

I don't know him personally but with what he's saying compiled with Yves consistently saying in the past that they're wanting to move more into a "games as a service" and online direction for the future is incredibly off-putting for me.

Ya its interesting. I would agree with almost everything you said also in your later comments. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out

The OP is a bit misleading, he's not talking about leaving narrative games but more about embracing role play, a bit like in Skyrim I think.

Less focus on cinematic might be more accurate.

AudioEppa

The only Ubisoft games I've owned in the last decade are I Am Alive and Valiant Hearts, Hearing this news, if it turns out the way I think it is, means my future interest in their AAA titles will be completely gone. Cutting back on storytelling is a BIG no no, That shit might appeal to others, not me. I swear if it starts to become a trend with other developers... Boiiiiii

Akhe

What? How?! Ubisoft, are you serious?

Stealth edit:
The OP is a bit misleading, he's not talking about living narrative games but more about embracing role play, a bit like in Skyrim I think.

Huuummmm......I can live with that.

I'm out if they cut back on story, they barely put any effort as is. Especially now when I'm craving to play a game where I can immerse into the story but don't have anything to play until bf sales.

OldRoutes

A game without story must be either multiplayer or fast paced. Ubi games are really slow and often focus on the tactical aspect or fancy animations. I don't see how this could work out for them.

It's not about games without settings, it's about games without complex narratives. I don't agree that slower paced games need to have complex narratives... I had plenty of fun with Flower, Monument Valley, FTL and Civilisation, for examples, and they're definitely not 'games with stories'.

Einhander

To the people who don't get it: Specifically speaking for the Assassin's Creed series, most people play those games for exploring historical eras and the overarching stories. If you remove the story, then you're not giving much of a motivation to continue playing all the way through. Imagine for a moment if Ezio's story was largely removed; ACII would be lifeless and boring. Or let's point out AC Rogue's story of revenge. Removing that would defeat the purpose of the entire premise the game is based on. A big chunk of the reason that I play the AC series are for the interesting stories. No, of course they aren't Oscar-worthy scripts, but they are emotionally-gripping enough to keep me engaged to the end. Ubisoft needs to leave the story alone. Perhaps it could be tweaked for improvement, but don't outright remove the narrative. If there's anything that should be removed, it's the damned view points that you have to get to and activate.

OldRoutes

Ubisoft needs to leave the story alone. Perhaps it could be tweaked for improvement, but don't outright remove the narrative. If there's anything that should be removed, it's the damned view points that you have to get to and activate.

I think this is precisely what he meant. He later mentions, in that interview in the OP, that he understands the repetitive aspects of previous games, and they're heading towards a different approach. He mentions the new Assassin's Creed as one the example, so keep an eye on that.

Prepare for The Division 2.

The Division had an amazing setting and technical capabilities to make a great storytelling experience, but was ruined by always-online design and non-existing story.

This "make your own story" bullshit doesn't work. Good gameplay can help create memorable experiences, not stories. Nothing is preventing to have both in a game. I am a terrible storyteller and the stories I make suck. That's why I pay money to play games from professional writers.

Clearly it does work. The Division was their best selling new IP of all time or something, correct? Anyone can feel free to correct me on that. They're obviously looking at the sales of that and stuff like Far Cry Primal and saying "we can sell few million copies of these games soon after launch with little to no story". Ubisoft gets an erection when their games do well. I have no doubt that The Division played a huge role in some of these decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't damage controlled later but someone else from Ubisoft. lol

Pizza

Ubisoft does gameplay really good but their stories often don't pull me in

I'm not saying cut out all the story, but if the next asscreed game pro more of a focus on really great gameplay with story taking a bit of a backseat I'd be real down

Normally I'd be against a statement like this, but besides Far Cry 4 I can't think of another recent Ubisoft game with a story worth a damn. So play to your strengths I guess.

The OP is a bit misleading, he's not talking about leaving narrative games but more about embracing role play, a bit like in Skyrim I think.

This sounds terrible to me. Skyrim is an insufferable bore. I like Assassin's Creed but won't buy the next one if Ubi doesn't bother with characterization/narrative (I have no interest in "creating my own").

It gets tiresome when people think these things cannot coexist. It's rather sad to think people would rather remove a message from a work of art because they want teh mechanix. Can we not have both??

The mechanics can be the message.

You can have both, in a perfect world, but game design is about resources and tradeoffs. I would think you would encourage different developers to navigate different paths through the hard decisions that every game developer has to make.

I would think you would applaud a creative company having the conviction to take a firm stance on something so fundamental. Are we really going to attack them for having a creative vision that doesn't comport to our preconceived notions?

nachum00

It's precisely because of attitudes like this which is why games storytelling is stagnating.

Games can absolutely be used to tell great stories.
Nah the reason its stagnating is because you have to be an indie developer if you want your game to be your uncompromised vision. And even then budget constraints and lack of man power means you'll constantly be cutting corners.

AAA games are focus tested to hell and back so they can appeal to the widest audience possible. That and no huge company is interested in investing in art and originality, those things are too hard to sale.

Truth be told the videogame indrusty is still relatively young and games that can be considered timeless classics based mostly on their narratives are few and far between.

Storytelling in a video game is fine, so long as it's done well. What with Ubisoft not telling stories all that well, this might be a better move for them.
Of course, if they can't do "emergent" storytelling or nail the mechanics...
That isn't to mention their apparent games as a service mentality...
Hm.

Lime

I like to have a reason or a context from which I play. I can't handle empty shells

I don't think their AAA factory game design applies well to "emergent" gameplay, but I'd love to be wrong

Very disappointing to me, I can't play video games without a base story in them that has a beginning and an end, which is why I don't play online games in the first place. I already don't like Ubisoft anyways, this just solidified my opinion.

MogCakes

I could do with less hollywood-style scenarios. But it's not really up to Ubisoft. What Vivendi wants is the more relevant question.

Top Bottom