• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft - Why do you keep lying to PC gamers about simultaneous release dates?

The M.O.B

Yup they won't be getting much of my money, I gave them $5 for AC2 a month ago (barely worth it)and that's the only PC game of their that I have.

Companies that at least put effort into their PC version get my money eventually, companies that neglect the PC version, gimp it, or delay it well past the console versions will get very little if any from me.

gillty

Banned
Who owns the Settlers series? Settlers7 was one of the best PC games of 2010 and sold like shit.

I don't understand why a publisher like Paradox, Kalypso, or Atlus hasn't picked it up.

This cover demonstrates how incompetent Ubisoft is.

settlers7covery8y0.jpg

This is the game:
settlers7r2011-01-0622pjsx.png

Kabouter

Valru said:
Who owns the Settlers series? Settlers7 was one of the best PC games of 2010 and sold like shit.

I don't understand why a publisher like Paradox, Kalypso, or Atlus hasn't picked it up.

This cover demonstrates how incompetent Ubisoft is.

http://www.abload.de/img/settlers7covery8y0.jpg[IMG]

This is the game:
[IMG]http://h5.abload.de/img/settlers7r2011-01-0622pjsx.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Ubisoft owns it, and has owned it since 2001 when they bought the developer/publisher Blue Byte. And did it really sell like shit? That's a shame if true. Also, Atlus? Really?

Duxxy3

Settlers 7 probably sold like shit because it couldn't be played for chunks of time thanks to the DRM.

I'm sure Revelations will end up getting delayed too.

I'd be furious over it if it wasn't for the fact that there's all those other titles to play, but in the end it'll be Ubisoft's loss, because by the time I bother to buy it, it probably won't be full price anyway.

I would be all over Settlers 7 if it wasn't for the DRM. Seems like a fantastic game, but if Ubisoft doesn't want my money, they just don't.

TyrantGuardian said:
I would be all over Settlers 7 if it wasn't for the DRM. Seems like a fantastic game, but if Ubisoft doesn't want my money, they just don't.
Same here.

Anyhow, ubisoft's behavior and inevitable whinging that pc isn't viable for them looks like it'll just be a case of self fulfilled prophecy.

Kabouter

Duxxy3 said:
Settlers 7 probably sold like shit because it couldn't be played for chunks of time thanks to the DRM.
Never had that problem at any time with it, and I've played quite a bit of Settlers 7.

rakhir

TyrantGuardian said:
Same here, I didn't bought it because of he drm.

I bought Anno 1440 off Steam a couple months ago only to find out the game is basically broken and Ubisoft has no intention to patch the Steam version. Valve has since removed the game from purchase until Ubisoft decides to stop being assholes and fix the game. I'll never buy another Ubisoft release be it for PC or consoles.

Curufinwe

Snuggler said:
PoP 2008 is the only game that I would pay to have removed from my Steam account. It's one of Ubisoft's worst offenses in the past few years.

Yes, PoP 2008 is utter garbage compared to AC 2 and Brotherhood.

RedSwirl

Sci-beR said:
If it weren't for AC series, i wud have ignored Ubi games all together :(
Seriously. Assassin's Creed is about the only thing Ubi hasn't fucked up this gen, which is tragic considering the roll they were on 2003-2005.

But seriously though, has Ubisoft ever been that big of a PC dev? Well, last gen they at least released their PC versions day-and-date if I recall, and the old Tom Clancy games were primarily PC games with bad console ports.

EDIT: Just remembered Settlers, Anno, and Silent Hunter. Anything else?

I'm sorry, but I think Ubisoft has become a b-rate company. I know a lot of you like AC, but I think that game has been done to death and beyond that I haven't sent Ubisoft any of my money because of it (though I've played plenty of their games.) They use all sorts of stupid ass DRM, they ruined one of my all time favorite franchises (splinter cell) and now they aren't releasing fucking Trackmania 2 on Steam!?

Fuck my nuts. I'm sorry, but that's just fucking stupid.

I watched their E3 presentation this year, and I was highly unimpressed, hopefully they can change my mind.

Can't wait for them to delay the PC version of asscreed so that I won't even have the option of accidently buying it instead of just renting it for $10. Save me some money Ubisoft, you know you want to.

hteng

Banned
yes, AC2's release for the PC was fucked up, it was delayed so much i practically forgot it, i end up buying it cheap during holiday season on steam. fuck you ubisoft and your always on DRM.

Sucks about Ubi treating the PC like a step child, but honestly, after the first AC underwhelmed epically, I gave up on Ubi. Though I do like the Scott Pilgrim game, although that's console only, I believe.

coopolon

I have to admit, I find this pattern pretty hilarious. After the first few games it became obvious it's going to happen with every game so I don't care. But then people respond to you in threads saying "No, it's going to be same day as consoles, just see what they said on their twitter" I get to laugh again.

Publishers have a table which tells them how many console game sales they lose due to PC piracy. Launching the PC version after 6 months seems to be the sweet spot since that is when console sales are tailing off and the money they get from the PC version at that point is just gravy.

Zeliard

They do this as yet another useless attempt to curb piracy. They figure if they delay the PC version by weeks or months, you'll buy the console version because you're just dying to get your hands on the game.

Again, they don't seem to understand the notion that their attempts to curb piracy only ever hurt legit consumers.

And I don't think it's just Ubisoft doing this either. The whole "delay the PC version and pretend it's for a reason other than piracy" has been a general trend in the past couple or so years.

dLMN8R

infinityBCRT said:
Publishers have a table which tells them how many console game sales they lose due to PC piracy. Launching the PC version after 6 months seems to be the sweet spot since that is when console sales are tailing off and the money they get from the PC version at that point is just gravy.
Yeah, sure seems to be doing their bottom-line well!

btw this could only possibly be true in a controlled experiment, which implies at least one or two launches of high-profile games simultaneously released across multiple platforms without compromises, that in the end, sells well. Ubisoft doesn't have anything close to that data from which to work.

Wow, I didn't realize it spanned that many games. That is just really messed up.

Why can't they just accept the fact that you can't beat the pirates. If you build it, someone can unbuild it.

They should just quit with the ridiculous DRM, and instead use that time to release PC demos.

meanwhile silent hunter 5 and il-2 cliffs of dover were horribly rushed (lol cliffs of dover being rushed, but it's true)

sh5 with ubidrm, il2 with steamworks. ubi trying their best to kill off sim communities :(

infinityBCRT said:
Was this meant to be read tongue-in-cheek, or are you presenting it as a factual statement that you legitimately believe?

Uriah

luka said:
Mai gahd. I was so close to getting this too. Saw it on the steam storefront and loved the trailer...then I saw it was Ubisoft and immediately kicked into cynic-mode.

I heard the mouse controls are awful.

Aselith

infinityBCRT said:

Where does that information come from and how do they calculate it?

Uriah said:
I heard the mouse controls are awful.

It's really funny. I was listening to Giantbombcast and they kept talking about how it was a great game but it was going to be so much better for PC because it felt like you didn't have enough control and a mouse would be so much better. lol. Not fucking buying that game and I was super excited and planning to pick it up launch week at full-price. Maybe I'll get it for $2 next year although we'll probably still be waiting for a patch to come out of Ubi.

coopolon

Does anyone know if Greg Vederman (former PC Gamer Editor in Chief) still works there? I'm curious what he has to say, not just about the DRM but about the lying about delays, lying about DRM, etc.

TheExodu5

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Seriously. Assassin's Creed is about the only thing Ubi hasn't fucked up this gen, which is tragic considering the roll they were on 2003-2005.

But seriously though, has Ubisoft ever been that big of a PC dev? Well, last gen they at least released their PC versions day-and-date if I recall, and the old Tom Clancy games were primarily PC games with bad console ports.

EDIT: Just remembered Settlers, Anno, and Silent Hunter. Anything else?

Heroes of Might and Magic
Myst IV (not sure if they still own the license...)

Top Bottom