• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft - Why do you keep lying to PC gamers about simultaneous release dates?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the irony being that when ubi release pc exclusive titles, they tend to rush them out the gate long before they're finished (see silent hunter V, il2: cliffs of dover).

1-D_FTW

ghst said:
the irony being that when ubi release pc exclusive titles, they tend to rush them out the gate long before they're finished (see silent hunter V, il2: cliffs of dover).

Trackmania redeems their existence. Although, if they didn't exist, they wouldn't have been in a position to buy them out last year. Poses a bit of a conundrum. But, hey, I'm an easy grader. I fully expected them to completely fuck Nadeo up after they purchased them. And to see business as usual, I'm grateful. Such is the state of Big Publishers in the year 2011. Brownie points for doing nothing and staying out of the way on the obvious.

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Is it going to have always-on DRM? Or do you "only" have to be online when it starts up.
Driver is/will be start-up activation, but this is Assassin's Creed, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they force always-on for it.

Facism

Sinatar said:
This won't last, I guarantee it.

Yeh, and with every other AC, by the time it comes out i'll just end up buying the game cheap cheap second hand for the ps3. Their loss.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Is it going to have always-on DRM? Or do you "only" have to be online when it starts up.

It'll launch with always on and then after feigning surprise at the negative reaction, Ubisoft will patch it to the initial online activation after 3 months or so.

Haunted

angular graphics said:
s2tcT.jpg

yakIP.jpg
Scumbag Ubisoft.

2 or 3 weeks is not a big deal, but substantial delays are. Videogames are a fast business and the audience is fickle, quick to move on to the next big hyped thing. It also effectively kills the impact of any marketing campaigns because they're 99% designed to coincide with the first release.

Zimbardo said:
ubisoft was built on the pc ...and this is how they give some love back.

fucking arseholes.

I don't get this. To me it just smacks of the same kind of silliness that surrounded FFXIII being announced on the 360. Why do they owe the platform anything?

I agree that their PC releases have been shite recently, but it's not like you're owed anything that needs to be "repaid"

SlickVic

Despite the delay, I didn't mind how they handled Brotherhood on the PC. Got rid of the horrid DRM and replaced it with a much more reasonable 1-time activation, gave the Da Vinci DLC for free, and didn't pull an Activision/EA/Bethesda of charging $60. If there's one thing Ubisoft messed up here, they didn't really do a good job conveying that they dropped the awful DRM, as I still see posts on various sites citing Brotherhood as yet another example of constant online activation checks. Makes me wonder how many people skipped buying it for that reason, but of course, delaying a game 4 months isn't exactly helping sales either.

Of course, the fact they brought back the constant online activation DRM back for their most recent PC games makes me think we might see more of the same for AC: Revelations unfortunately.

I don't think it really matters. Ubilauncher + consistent launch online verification for a game = no buy. Used PS3 copy it is.

Edit: Does the launcher check for online every single time you launch the game or not? I thought it did.

iNvid02

despise the online connection at all times, the worst form of drm i've seen so far.
and the online verification when launching is a piece of shit too.

but ubi-launcher itself is fine, it loads very quickly and you can just click play and your off.
they should keep that and ditch the silly drm

edit: ^^ dont get your hopes up yet, all the pc ac titles usually get their delay announcement towards the end of september, we still got about a week to go.

after that i dont think there could be a big delay of months, maybe a few weeks like arkham city

Why would you get it on PC? I guess you could if SP matters to you, because MP sucks balls - 100K on Leaderboard vs. 1.2Mln PS3 vs. probably more on X360 (don't have X360 version). On PS3 I join all game types within 10sec, my brother playing on PC has sometimes to wait a few minutes.

Haunted

Castor Krieg said:
Why would you get it on PC? I guess you could if SP matters to you, because MP sucks balls - 100K on Leaderboard vs. 1.2Mln PS3 vs. probably more on X360 (don't have X360 version). On PS3 I join all game types within 10sec, my brother playing on PC has sometimes to wait a few minutes.
Can't think of a Ubisoft game where I'd rather play online MP than SP.

Kabouter

Castor Krieg said:
SP is the only thing that matters to me really, and that will of course be far better on PC. Brotherhood MP was fun for maybe an hour or two, and unless Revelations has radically different MP, I won't bother with it anyway.

Acheteedo

dLMN8R said:

Are you seriously suggesting that more timely releases would bring Ubisoft into profitability? Ubisoft doesn't have the Sims or a successful MMO, their lack of profits and low percentage of PC gaming income has nothing to do with a release date strategy.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Haunted said:
Can't think of a Ubisoft game where I'd rather play online MP than SP.

R.U.S.E.

the AI was terrible, fighting human opponents was somewhat enjoyable. Untill they quit on your ass.

dLMN8R

We're still 3 months out from the release of Revelations. As my OP shows, almost every other game was delayed with under a month left before release. We still have two more months for a delay of Revelations to be announced.

Acheteedo said:
Are you seriously suggesting that more timely releases would bring Ubisoft into profitability? Ubisoft doesn't have the Sims or a successful MMO, their lack of profits and low percentage of PC gaming income has nothing to do with a release date strategy.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. But I am suggesting that maybe if Ubisoft stopped treating PC gamers like shit, they'd actually make more money from PC games.

Marco1

ghst said:
This, I bought SH5 and what a steaming pile until the modders fixed it.
Have not purchased an ubisoft game since for my PC or xbox.
The fanbase for that game if it was at least fixed and missing DRM is huge for the genre.
They have tried and tried to get ubi to release one more patch to no avail.
They even offered to put together a team of modders who would fix it for free if they were given temporary access to the source code.

I will never forgive them for selling me a non-working version Splinter Cell Conviction, i made my brother buy it too so we could play some Co Op and that uPlay garbage just DOES NOT WORK, after 3 hours of disabling firewalls, redirecting ports on my router and other means i just gave up, i wish Steam did refunds.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's delayed after announcing there'd be no delay? That's it, they're just fucking with PC gamers now

That's OK, I've been fucking with Ubisoft for the last few years. Steam sale Christmas 2012 for AC: Revelations- you can't be bothered releasing on time/ stick ridiculous DRM on, I won't bother buying till the 75% discount.

Mrbob

Sportbilly said:
That's OK, I've been fucking with Ubisoft for the last few years. Steam sale Christmas 2012 for AC: Revelations- you can't be bothered releasing on time/ stick ridiculous DRM on, I won't bother buying till the 75% discount.

No doubt. It is the way to go.

Duxxy3

Obviously got delayed so they could remove their invasive piece of shit DRM and use steamworks instead.

... j/k they're thinking of new ways to fuck over pc gamers

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If it is delayed, it's probably an attempt at steering potential pirates towards the console versions, but the kicker is that when it does launch, it'll most likely have the horrible DRM that comes standard with most of Ubisoft's PC ports. Ubisoft sure are dedicated to earning the title of the worst publisher of the past few years.

As the leading publisher of ultra shallow auto-games, they don't release many worthwhile games these days anyways. There isn't anything in their current line-up that I couldn't easily live without. AC is being run into the ground with these yearly installments so I'll just go ahead and wait until it's super cheap or pass all together.

Card Boy

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
Obviously got delayed so they could remove their invasive piece of shit DRM and use steamworks instead.

I dont get why for 1/3rd of their games they go Steamworks and the other 2/3rds of their games are UbiDRM. It doesn't make sense!

Top Bottom