• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft - Why do you keep lying to PC gamers about simultaneous release dates?

Gez said:
I dont get why for 1/3rd of their games they go Steamworks and the other 2/3rds of their games are UbiDRM. It doesn't make sense!

It's because the 1/3 that are Steamworks are developed by companies that Ubisoft doesn't own. They don't force those companies to use the DRM.

This seems like as good of a place as any to ask: Did anyone experience bizarre jittery animation issues in the PC version of Assassin's Creed Revelations? I have great framerate but the character animation jumps around like it's super low framerate. I made a video demonstrating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kucHnF3keo

Any ideas on how I could fix it?

wiggleb0t

Banned
Not happy at all with the delays in the Creed series.
Really hoping Assassins Creed 3 will launch this year on PC and not be delayed again. Something tells me Ubisoft has some more mud to throw at their below dirt valued pc consumers.

If piracy was less rampant and the game woudl sell as much on PC as it does on PS360, Ubi wouldn't do this.

I'm waiting for the PC version myself and it is a shame that it will probably be delayed, but PC gamers also have themselves to blame. Not us of course, but the good always suffer.

If piracy was less rampant and the game woudl sell as much on PC as it does on PS360, Ubi wouldn't do this.
If Ubisoft gave a shit in porting the things and weren't intent in pissing off PC gamers, piracy rates would be lower (and piracy rates are all overinflated pieces of bollocks that doesn't matter whatsoever) It's a chicken and egg situation, and only Ubisoft can break the cycle.

RedSwirl

Ubisoft could at least give us some crap about how they wanna do the PC version right.

Edit: I'd like to add that their neglect of that platform is even unusual among other big publishers. EA at least cares enough to try to set up their own distribution platform and release PC versions day-and-date. They're at least trying hard to appeal to the PC market.

bhlaab

Ubisoft could at least give us some crap about how they wanna do the PC version right.

Edit: I'd like to add that their neglect of that platform is even unusual among other big publishers. EA at least cares enough to try to set up their own distribution platform and release PC versions day-and-date. They're at least trying hard to appeal to the PC market.

If they were trying hard to be appealing to the PC market Origin wouldn't exist and they'd release through Steam. They dropped Steam because it interfered with their awful micro-transaction DLC scheme.

diamount

Banned
If they were trying hard to be appealing to the PC market Origin wouldn't exist and they'd release through Steam. They dropped Steam because it interfered with their awful micro-transaction DLC scheme.

No, they just don't want to give money away. It's the same reason why Blizzard games aren't on Steam. Even Valve games until a certain time has passed.

alf717

Is Uplay really that bad? I know for AC II it was a nightmare but it was pretty much made simple since then. Only big issue I read as of late is losing your save games which I believe is remedied by turning off cloud saving. I'm not an advocate of DRM by any stretch but it has gotten a little more fair since then. My biggest beef with them especially with Assassin's Creed is all the tacky DLC. Game is release at $49.99 - $79.99. It just feels like an incomplete game. Especially when all this damn DLC is announced before release. I paid a total of $19 for AC 3 plus season pass and all I miss out on are the Benedict Arnold missions.

Edit:

I would also have to go with the update process for AC III as well. The game has its issues and performance is not that great even with high end setups. The slow support and the current music bug with DLC 1 pack is sad to say the least. I hope they fix this stuff but even II, bro and rev still kind of run like crap in certain areas.

No, they just don't want to give money away. It's the same reason why Blizzard games aren't on Steam. Even Valve games until a certain time has passed.

EA is fine with putting their games on other DD services, they split up with Steam because Valve has made it mandatory that if a game has DLC it must be available through Steam itself (I assume F2P games are an exception to this).

Haunted

Knew this bump was about Blacklist when I read the RPS article.

“The August 20th date is also for the PC version as well,” a Ubisoft rep matter-of-factly explained to RPS.

But then, we’ve heard this before, and we still ended up getting burned. Ubi flat-out denied Assassin’s Creed III’s delay the first time around, only for it to pull a complete 180 a month later.

So I decided to be more direct about it and ask what the odds were on something like that for Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Here’s the response I got:

“No worries. It is day and date with the console versions.”
On one hand, I feel kinda bad for the poor son of a bitch PR rep who will have to explain the Blacklist delay to interviewers, on the other hand, they're just asking for ridicule with this.

diamount

Banned
EA is fine with putting their games on other DD services, they split up with Valve because Valve has made it mandatory that if a game has DLC it must be available through Steam itself (I assume F2P games are an exception to this).

Yep, makes perfect business sense to have control over that process. But no, F2P games must also have an option to buy things via Steam wallet.

Yep, makes perfect business sense to have control over that process. But no, F2P games must also have an option to buy things via Steam wallet.

As a consumer buying DLC outside of Steam is a pretty shit process. Honestly I assume Mass Effect 2 was probably the game that made Valve start that new rule (getting DLC in that game for the PC version is a nightmare). Honestly just by having your DLC on Steam it will probably get you significantly more revenue than doing what EA did even with Valve's cut.

alf717

As a consumer buying DLC outside of Steam is a pretty shit process. Honestly I assume Mass Effect 2 was probably the game that made Valve start that new rule (getting DLC in that game for the PC version is a nightmare).

I use the Gamestop service for my DLC and they have been pretty top notch with my season pass to AC III. The Battle Hardened pack had some issues but they fixed it within 15 minutes.

dino1980

The biggest problem I have with Ubisoft except delays are Uplay. I get random "****.exe stopped working", and I cant in anyway fix this problem. This has made that playing titles from Ubisoft has been a real pain. I wonder if people who pirates these games have the same problem?

Retne

The biggest problem I have with Ubisoft except delays are Uplay. I get random "****.exe stopped working", and I cant in anyway fix this problem. This has made that playing titles from Ubisoft has been a real pain. I wonder if people who pirates these games have the same problem?

I doubt the pirate versions have to deal with UPlay at all. If it's the game bugging out on you then it would probably be the same. You might want to look at the pcgamingwiki or the steam forums to see if anyone has come up with a fix for the problem you're having.

As a side note I wish there was a legit way to rip UPlay out of games you've bought. I can't count the number of times I've looked at an Ubi game during a steam sale going for $2.50-$5 and see the UPlay required. I don't want to load another client that I have to remember a login for specifically for Ubi games so instead I just don't buy 'em.

npa189

I was blown away that far cry 3 wasn't delayed last year, but I just don't think of Ubi as a legit PC house anymore, it's sad because I like most of their games, but I also have a nice PC. Next gen will make me more willing to buy their games at launch now. Expecting watch dogs PC delay in 3.. 2.. 1..

Top Bottom