• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 145 |OT| A Special Night with Jon Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets talk match ups in the event that Jones loses.

Hendo vs Evans
Jones vs Gus/Lil Nog/Davis/Shogun (if he beats Page) or will he just move up to HW?

Heel

Lets talk match ups in the event that Jones loses.

iyBS0BgBEoq2P.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Latin night =/= Latin chicks...

Dammit dude you just reminded me. I have a date this Saturday... I'm going to miss the fight.

Blonde with big boobs> guys punching each other

But you forgot ..

guys punching each other PLUS super friends super awesome chat > blonde with big boobs

Right ... right?

sadface.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You do realize that Jon Jones strikes do not have K.O. power?
6 TKO's
2 KO's

His strikes hit hard enough. :)

And no I'm not calling Jones a knockout artist, I'm saying that Rashad is more likely to be knocked out than his chances of winning.

Eric Hall

You do realize that Jon Jones strikes do not have K.O. power?

shoguntapping.gif
brandverasmashedface.gif

Not KOs, but the man can brutalize someone with strikes. Rashad got KO'ed by Machida, wobbled by a Thiago Silva strike, I feel like he also got wobbled with a Rampage strike. Rashad does not have that great of a chin, so it could happen

Bossun

All those Jones haters!!

But I have to admit at first I didn't like him but the more I see his fights the more I like him.

He's obviously way over everybody else. Everyone looks so sluggish, heavy and slow in front of him. It's like he's playing with them. He even barely get hit.

Wich raise the question is he resistant? Maybe just a few good hits is what is needed.

Actually it does seems that all his opponent are too "classical" when it comes to fighting, maybe they should act a bit more unexpected when in front of Jones.

Rory straight up worked the "interim champ who wont defend said title", why is being fed nobodies.

Rory = GSP's successor and future king of 170. The kid is pure talent and us Canadian mma fans will need something to brag about when GSP is out of his prime :p

butimnotarapper

Neo Member
I guess I'm one of the few here who think Evans has a serious chance at beating Jones.

I like both fighters equally, but my gut is telling me Evans right now.

I'm in the minority too. I've been a Jones fan since the Bonnar fight...but it's a sport where everyone gets caught eventually. I'd still favor him 60/40 but I always thought Rashad would have the best chance to beat him just for the fact that he's not scared of Jones. To me it's just like everyone who's fought Jones looks less like they're fighting and more like they're just trying to figure out ways to attack

And also, the dude's only lost once. I don't know how some of you are calling a round 1 KO when Jones hasn't KO'd anybody in the UFC

Measley

I just don't see how Evans wins this.

Jones has smashed everyone in this division. Before Jones came on the scene, Machida, Evans, Jackson, and Shogun would toss the belt between each other constantly, and no one could really dominate. For example, Rampage and Machida had a fight that went to decision for Jackson. Machida decimated Evans. Evans beat Jackson. etc. etc.

Jones came on the scene and stomped Shogun, stomped Jackson, and stomped Machida. Unless Evans has something new in his toolbox, he's going to get stomped too.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm surprised we're 200 replies deep into a Jon Jones main evented thread without accusations of racism yet. We've come so far!

Norml

I just don't see how Evans wins this.

Jones has smashed everyone in this division. Before Jones came on the scene, Machida, Evans, Jackson, and Shogun would toss the belt between each other constantly, and no one could really dominate. For example, Rampage and Machida had a fight that went to decision for Jackson. Machida decimated Evans. Evans beat Jackson. etc. etc.

Jones came on the scene and stomped Shogun, stomped Jackson, and stomped Machida. Unless Evans has something new in his toolbox, he's going to get stomped too.

Jones got that insane reach advantage that is like 10 inches!!!

Only way I see Evans winning is getting that mount where both arms get trapped and the face is open to free hits.

Heel

I'm surprised we're 200 replies deep into a Jon Jones main evented thread without accusations of racism yet. We've come so far!

That's what makes MMA-GAF great. We've risen above the filth found in UFC arena crowds and every other place of discussion for MMA on the internet. We are the 1%.

eVa5s.jpg

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone can beat Jon Jones it is Rashad. He will press the fight and never let Jones get set.

I liked Rashad's chances before I saw the Davis fight. Not that I thought he'd win but it made for a more interesting fight if he was actually fighting well.
I'm curious to see how his knowledge of Jones helps him.

I don't know, I've watched some of Rashad's fights recently and nothing I've seen has particularly impressed me. I'm no expert but to me he looks too hesitant to do anything. He throws out his feelers and dances around a bit but seems to lack any sort of penetration with his attacks, at least early on. He was decent against Ortiz but the Davis and Jackson fight was pathetic. Just some thoughts.

JJD

I don't have anything against Bones, but I'm hoping he loses.

No one's unbeatable, if he keep fighting long enough he will eventually lose. And if he loses now to a bitter rival like Rashad, it will only make him train harder and harder. I think there's still ways to improve his game, he's still young. Better lose now when he still have the drive to improve than later when he's old and lacking motivation. I think in the end he would emerge an even better fighter.

And imagine how awesome the rematch would be.

We have not yet seem his true potential. He's not that strong, and his technique while pretty good can still improve. His stamina and resistance have yet to be tested. His biggest advantage on anyone on his weight category is his size (specially legs and arms), it would be fun seeing him fight against that swede guy.

Shogun looked ill on the press conference and during his fight with Bones. I'm not taking away JBJ merits, but if Mauricio was in a good condition the fight would have been more equal. I still think Bones would have won, but it wouldn't have been as easy.

Shogun looked ill on the press conference and during his fight with Bones. I'm not taking away JBJ merits, but if Mauricio was in a good condition the fight would have been more equal. I still think Bones would have won, but it wouldn't have been as easy.

This-fuckin-guy.jpg

Dysun

Even as staunch Shogun fanboy I wont give him the excuse of long layoff/knee injury/whatever bs you can cook up. He got worked over

Eric Hall

Shogun only lost cause he had malaria and his mother recently died and he had a bad weight cut and he had a long layoff and his shorts are too small and his knees are made out of bubblegum and glass and......

dabig2

Shogun tapping out lightly at the end there is...man that's somewhat demoralizing. Felt bad for the guy. That's why I respect Machida for getting choked out till the better end.

Zeliard

Ain't no shame in tapping out to a barrage of strikes. Machida was just choked unconscious on his feet and unceremoniously dropped like a sack of potatoes, so I'm not sure how that's any better. :p

TheNatural

My Member!
Ain't no shame in tapping out to a barrage of strikes. Machida was just choked unconscious on his feet and unceremoniously dropped like a sack of potatoes, so I'm not sure how that's any better. :p

I guess they're all better than Big Nog refusing to tap until he got his arm broken, or Miesha Tate getting her elbow dislocated.

Zeliard

I guess they're all better than Big Nog refusing to tap until he got his arm broken, or Miesha Tate getting her elbow dislocated.

Yeah that's when pride goes a bit too far. No point in having to go through extensive rehab just to try and prove a point. Sometimes you just gotta know when you're beat.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Shogun has an Iron chin. Greg Jackson is a tactician, therefore Jones gameplan was to beat the body until the head dies. Shogun tapped after the match was off.
Everyone including Henderson head hunts a guy like Shogun.
Jones is awesome he is dynamic love him as a fighter hate him as a personality.
So fucking lame!

He really looked up to Rashad stealing many in ring mannerisms (crawling into ring, squatting low in the stare-down before touching gloves, etc.)
He is a swagger jacker indeed. I got to say though his style is his own, Greco-Roman, Judo, & Kickboxing. Fuck what ya'll say I even see a little bit of Puroresu. The nerd in me loves John Jones. That said Rashad is a beast he is stronger knows John is human more than anybody. Greg Jackson would know all of Rashad's weaknesses however Jones has been training in the same environment Rashad knows very well himself. Shad may have evolved he picked up pointers from B-hop, have a team of elite fighters that specialize in every area of the game. Looks stronger, & above all has hate burning in his heart seeing a protege take his title shot & succeed to the point of being a rookie prospect into a champion seemingly overnight. Hate is the single most motivating factor, I know Rashad will show no mercy this is going to be great, we will see Jones aura of invincibility disintegrate before our very eyes. In this fight he will appear very human.
Human to the point of Cain vs Brock. Jones will pay for any mistakes in his flashy spin kicks & elbows. Regardless of what you believe this one just may not be going to decision fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom