• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 273: Volkanovski vs The Korean Zombie

Who wins: Volkanovski or TKZ? Sterling or Yan? Burns or Khamzat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mxbison

Pretty sure Gastelum vs Imamov is off, don't know what they put on the main card instead though.

Predictions:

Volk by KO Rd1 - He had ultra tough opponents recently but Volk definitely has power and KZ gets hit a lot. I think he gets it done early this time.

Yan by decision - Sterling preserves his energy better this time but gets outstruck by Yan and can't get much going in terms of grappling.

Chimaev by sub Rd1 - Chimaev gets dropped in the first round but survives, gets the takedown, lots of gnp, finishes with a choke.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Conor could fight in any era, my first reaction to this card is where is Conor? Even bigger picture we want to see Jon Jones all the other guys are prisoners of the moment.

GymWolf

Pretty sure Gastelum vs Imamov is off, don't know what they put on the main card instead though.

Predictions:

Volk by KO Rd1 - He had ultra tough opponents recently but Volk definitely has power and KZ gets hit a lot. I think he gets it done early this time.

Yan by decision - Sterling preserves his energy better this time but gets outstruck by Yan and can't get much going in terms of grappling.

Chimaev by sub Rd1 - Chimaev gets dropped in the first round but survives, gets the takedown, lots of gnp, finishes with a choke.
1 round ko for volk is probably even less probable than korean zombie winning the whole thing...

Volk is not super aggressive in the first 2 rounds and you need to hit kz with something really heavy to fuck him up for good.

If there is a ko it's gonna be between round 4-5 when the legs are chewed up and kz can't bounce on them to mitigate the damage.

Last edited:

manfestival

Oh baby this is the good stuff right here. This card is fantastic. I cannot wait to watch this one.

Volk vs Korean Zombie - I love you KZ but Volk should have this. I actually see this as an interesting fight with Volk dominating most of it.
Sterling vs Yan - Fight of the night: I am on the fence on this one and it is really hard to call but I think Sterling has learned a lot and he had more dominance in the first fight. Yan has been very consistent but I think this will likely go to a split to Sterling(my memory is admittedly fuzzy on this fight but I remember the drama and seeing it as a wild fight plus I know it is in here but I havent taken the time to rewatch it)
Burns vs Chimaev: Burns because this is the first real test of Chimaev. Chimaev has a rise akin to Johnny Walker and some other names but so far he has starched people in more convincing ways.
Dern vs Torres: I hate Dern but I see no reason why Torres would win.

Just saw that this fight is off. So tired of Kelvin Gastelum and his antics. This guy only has himself to blame for never being champion.
Gastelum v Imavov: Based on Strength of Record, Gastelum should cakewalk this unless he has truly fallen from grace.

Rozenstruik vs Tybura: This is clearly placed as a promo to encourage people to get ESPN+. Fight is so undeservedly low. It actually should be in place of Gastelum vs Imavov but I get it. Rozen should take it with a KO

Last edited:

GymWolf

Oh baby this is the good stuff right here. This card is fantastic. I cannot wait to watch this one.

Volk vs Korean Zombie - I love you KZ but Volk should have this. I actually see this as an interesting fight with Volk dominating most of it.
Sterling vs Yan - Fight of the night: I am on the fence on this one and it is really hard to call but I think Sterling has learned a lot and he had more dominance in the first fight. Yan has been very consistent but I think this will likely go to a split to Sterling(my memory is admittedly fuzzy on this fight but I remember the drama and seeing it as a wild fight plus I know it is in here but I havent taken the time to rewatch it)
Burns vs Chimaev: Burns because this is the first real test of Chimaev. Chimaev has a rise akin to Johnny Walker and some other names but so far he has starched people in more convincing ways.
Dern vs Torres: I hate Dern but I see no reason why Torres would win.

Just saw that this fight is off. So tired of Kelvin Gastelum and his antics. This guy only has himself to blame for never being champion.
Gastelum v Imavov: Based on Strength of Record, Gastelum should cakewalk this unless he has truly fallen from grace.

Rozenstruik vs Tybura: This is clearly placed as a promo to encourage people to get ESPN+. Fight is so undeservedly low. It actually should be in place of Gastelum vs Imavov but I get it. Rozen should take it with a KO
Torres has way better standup and movements around the octagon than dern and good takedown defense, takedown accuracy for dern is absolute shit, like 10%, dern is gonna sweat like a mofo to catch torres on the ground.

Also torres looked splendid in her last fight, dern looked like shit.

I have the short muscly woman winning on this one.

Last edited:

manfestival

Also torres looked splendind in his last fight, dern looked like shit.
Dern always looks like garbage. She is propped up by the UFC but the female divisions have been fairly barren for ages. Maybe Torres is a mismatch. I would want to be wrong on this one.

GymWolf

Dern always looks like garbage. She is propped up by the UFC but the female divisions have been fairly barren for ages. Maybe Torres is a mismatch. I would want to be wrong on this one.
I mean don't get me wrong, i hope the match goes to the ground with a lot of scrambles for obvious reasons

E9ha7pLVoDQA65K.jpg
mjlbmq93l2151.png

Last edited:
Cheers for the threads maestro.

Yan if he can keep his emotions in check will win. The champ can't be discounted though.

Burns couldn't go 2 full rounds with the champ & Borz normally gets it done within 2.

KZ hits hard & has stamina. With CCC in his corner he might have an answer for Volkanovski.

Last edited:

mxbison

1 round ko for volk is probably even less probable than korean zombie winning the whole thing...

Volk is not super aggressive in the first 2 rounds and you need to hit kz with something really heavy to fuck him up for good.

If there is a ko it's gonna be between round 4-5 when the legs are chewed up and kz can't bounce on them to mitigate the damage.

Yeah sure. Most likely is Volk by decision I guess.

Just have a feeling that Volk will try to prove something and you never know with guys like KZ who prefer to block with their face, at some point that chin has to crack.

GymWolf

Yeah sure. Most likely is Volk by decision I guess.

Just have a feeling that Volk will try to prove something and you never know with guys like KZ who prefer to block with their face, at some point that chin has to crack.
He is gonna try the finish for sure, just not in the first round imo.

Toots

Gold Member
I got the Korean zombie fever, do you got it too ?

qNjIhNE.jpg

Anyway i hope both he and Imavov win !

PS : who wants to bet on which accent Mackenzie Dern is gonna use in her post fight itw ?

chixdiggit

Really feel Gilbert Burns is being disrespected by many. Ranked #2 with his only loss in the last 8 fights is to the champ. Khamzat has yet to even face someone in the top ten and everyone just assumes he will destroy Burns.

GymWolf

Really feel Gilbert Burns is being disrespected by many. Ranked #2 with his only loss in the last 8 fights is to the champ. Khamzat has yet to even face someone in the top ten and everyone just assumes he will destroy Burns.
It is not a matter of being disrespected, chimaev manhandle big middle weights and fight on par with big light heavy weights like gustafsson, and gilbert is a very small welterweight.

Not much takedown defense appliable when someone lift you with EASE and slam you down, jujitsu is useless in these cases and gilbert wasn't able to submit fucking wonderwoy after having his back for like 3 rounds, and if rumors are true, chimaev has yet to be submitted in his gym even after sparring with monsters...

I like durinho a lot but it is hard not to see chimaev as a huge favourite.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Picking Volk, Yan and khamzat going with the favorites but I feel there is a good chance of an upset in one of these fights

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Chimaev taking some big shots and swinging wildly

Burns is seeing red now which will work to chimaev's advantage IMO

MaestroMike

Gold Member
looked pretty even to me, but Khamzat gets the decision he'll face colby next which will be an interesting match up I think gilbert's stock probably went up even though he didn't get the decision he was awesome in this fight

Top Bottom