• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] CEX already selling Playstation 4 Slim for £380

Cex is a decent place , got my apple pen for like $70 after trading in 8 garbage games, I got $6 store credit for Fuse of all games, fuse

It's a second hand store so if they get something that's not released yet of course they'd have a high price on it

Cex are such cunts now. The mark-up they put on their goods is insane

But because they have a effective monopoly nobody calls them out.
Their markup comes from their allowance of trade in credit for goods. By marking up their prices they're able to take in a lot of product that Game do not.

If you're looking to point to someone it's not CEX.

Okay from the sounds of it this was bought of someone not like with yet to be released games they get from legit distributor and just put the stock out when it comes in as not bound by street date, if i was the guy coming back in with more and possibly VR i would be very worried likely police informed by now and as i say CEX are usually very helpful as want to avoid the selling stolen goods charge.

PSVR would be the most interesting one as doubt you can play it, the firmware has not been updated to support as far as i know. So would be buying it but not able to use it, plus there are no games out.

Personally i would not want to buy a slim and use my PSN account likely a breach of T&C and sony could ban account (and sometimes do in normal stolen goods cases).

NOOI

Banned
Or legally purchased by someone with connections in retail who were willing to break their agreement with Sony.

I don't know which it is, and unless you've got any evidence to present, neither do you.

It will be considered a criminal investigation until the supplier proved otherwise. You don't get the benefit of the doubt here if you end up selling stock that aren't suppose to be available. You have to prove you know where it came from, or you would have intentionally purchased stolen goods. Sony keeping quiet is likely part of the requirements in making sure they could persecute, as part of the evidence for criminal culpability would be the fact that the console isn't announced.

LewieP

It will be considered a criminal investigation until the supplier proved otherwise. You don't get the benefit of the doubt here if you end up selling stock that aren't suppose to be available. You have to prove you know where it came from, or you would have intentionally purchased stolen goods. Sony keeping quiet is likely part of the requirements in making sure they could persecute, as part of the evidence for criminal culpability would be the fact that the console isn't announced.

Please demonstrate that any form of criminal investigation is occurring here, or are you just making assumptions?

Jimm

No way in fuck is it going to retail for that when it releases

It definitely won't be that's how CEX works though. They buy and sell new items at a high price to get the stock then lower it later. They have their own supply/demand thing going.

I doubt it was stolen, likely a promo console to a dev or something, CEX would have the owners name and I.D details anyway incase of any legal issues.

novabolt

I can understand the pricing of the console, they are targeting the mainstream and non self aware consumers. Also for two weeks, they have a console that isn't available to the public. The only way Sony can mess up their plans is by saving face and just release the slim early in the UK but I doubt that's going to happen.

Also, that isn't the retail price, I heard the new slim will cost £60.

kyser73

How many scousers post here?

I mean I see 'Liverpool', 'Sony Distribution Centre' and 'CEx' together, and I draw offensively stereotyped conclusions.

NJD316

Neo Member
Yeah CEX is notorious for buying literally anything off people, no matter how dodgy it seems. Not sure how they get away with not abiding by stolen goods laws, must be some sort of legal loophole.

NOOI

Banned
Please demonstrate that any form of criminal investigation is occurring here, or are you just making assumptions?

I don't understand your position at all. Are you denying the high likelihood that a major theft has taken place? Yes, it is possible it was about one supplier breaking street date, but until that has been tracked down and confirmed the case would have been investigated as a theft.

Further, CEX can lose their licence to trade 2nd hand goods. This is not a joke, we are not talking about music copyright violations here. Depending on the total worth of stock stolen, there could be jail time.

Even if it isn't stolen, it's incredibly stupid of CEX to buy the thing. Who know if it's even a final retail unit? What if Sony ban it? Why take the risk, for what, £80 markup?

Hi as i have said in other posts CEX work very closely with the police, they buy a lot of phones, tablets, computers, watches and second hand consoles so a percentage will be stolen it is just statistically likely. They know about stolen goods and train there staff to watch out for them and suspicious transactions like selling goods they person can't unlock etc. I very much doubt they will get in any legal trouble they have had a lot of practice and make you sign deceleration that not stolen etc, they are covered normally and as i say in order to protect themselves further are very helpful to the police, sometimes proactively by calling them if they know someone is selling stolen goods, if you get robbed and have something unquie stolen is a good idea to go to local CEX (after the police of course) give them an police incident number and picture of goods or description and they will look out for it, if a ps4 give them your psn as turn on the console and make sure it works so if the theft has not removed your account can tell straight away. CEX are not the devil, they are far better than pay day loans and pawn shops, but still do hear sad stories close to the end of the month with people selling stuff only to come back and buy it at increased price a few weeks later.

As pointed out by other users thay require photo id and take a copy of it often or at the very least the details, so if it is stolen very likely the person selling it will get in trouble not CEX.

I mean I see 'Liverpool', 'Sony Distribution Centre' and 'CEx' together, and I draw offensively stereotyped conclusions.

What's Liverpool got to do with it? This is in Widnes if these came from Liverpool they would of been sold in one of the 20 CeX stores already in Liverpool.

I'm sure we would of heard if there had been a break in at SIE Centre.

LewieP

I don't understand your position at all. Are you denying the high likelihood that a major theft has taken place? Yes, it is possible it was about one supplier breaking street date, but until that has been tracked down and confirmed the case would have been investigated as a theft.

Further, CEX can lose their licence to trade 2nd hand goods. This is not a joke, we are not talking about music copyright violations here. Depending on the total worth of stock stolen, there could be jail time.

I'm saying it is possible that no crime has been committed here, which you seem to now agree with.

If a theft has taken place as you suggest, I'd want to see at least some evidence rather than just making an assumption.

Kilau

Yes, that's how much is weighs. Slim my ass!

image.php

Jacknapes

CEX often sell things at inflated prices, sometimes more expensive pre-owned than brand new.

But, sometimes you can find a bargain.

pelican

Having products in large quantities that haven't been announced/released yet? Unless you subscribe to the 'they fell off the back of a lorry' theory, they're nicked.

Not necessarily. These could be genuinely sourced units from the distribution being sold through a retailer. It is wrong to assume these units are 100% nicked.

I received my Vita well before launch. Did I nick it? No. Could I have legally sold it to CEX for profit? Yes.

At the end of the day CEX probably get the seller to sign a waiver claiming they have the rightful ownership of the item.

pelican

I thought Scousers were too busy nicking wheels of motors to be interested in PS4 slims?

;p

I'm saying it is possible that no crime has been committed here, which you seem to now agree with.

If a theft has taken place as you suggest, I'd want to see at least some evidence rather than just making an assumption.

Again CEX do a lot of business in phones so often find they have stolen goods in stock etc so have put in protections to prevent against charges one of the major ones being how closely they work with the local police and helpful they are. They are considered helpful by the police when it comes to stolen goods not a problem. Along with legal disclaimers etc. they have been in the second hand goods business for a long time and would not have survived this long if they did not have things like this covered. This case is slightly different i will grant you as unreleased product, we are purely basing that this was sold to the store on some tweets it is still perfectly possibly they got stock early from there legal supplier, even if it looks unlikely.

With all the interest and people asking questions about it I am sure they will have contacted the police or the police contacted them, and they will be very helpful to the police so whoever is selling them be warned if stolen, if they are legally obtained and can prove it there is not crime, sony wont be happy but don't see direct to CEX so little they can do to hurt them.

To be fair Widnes is a far bigger hive of scum and villainy. Bloody woolyback towns casting bad stereotypes back on Liverpool!

Coxy100

Banned
I can understand the pricing of the console, they are targeting the mainstream and non self aware consumers. Also for two weeks, they have a console that isn't available to the public. The only way Sony can mess up their plans is by saving face and just release the slim early in the UK but I doubt that's going to happen.

Also, that isn't the retail price, I heard the new slim will cost £60.

Not sure where you heard that mate - but you heard wrong. I have it on good authority that it's £50.

Not necessarily. These could be genuinely sourced units from the distribution being sold through a retailer. It is wrong to assume these units are 100% nicked.

I received my Vita well before launch. Did I nick it? No. Could I have legally sold it to CEX for profit? Yes.

At the end of the day CEX probably get the seller to sign a waiver claiming they have the rightful ownership of the item.

Exactly also they get stock of new consoles/games from supplier legally that are then sold as second hand even though sealed, happens all the time with games that they break street date (often at inflated price or RRP which is higher eg £50) people don't assume that the 200 copies of No Mans Sky across 50/100 stores are stolen no they just got the games early and put them out. Always used to ask my mate to keep an eye out for games if i really wanted them like GTAV on ps3 if i was willing to pay there early tax. Also the reason they sell games at high price even once they are out is because you get a lower price/higer trade in value when trading in goods to works out cheaper if trading in the total value.

I think you really don't understand if you think the people in store will be arrested, unless they say something silly like they know they were stolen. My friend bought stolen phones all the time and never got arrested because they help the police and have legal disclaimers etc.

I think that's how they ended up with the Slims - they took the van by mistake instead of the wheels!

A van full of Slims...

If a van full of slims went missing i have a feeling we would know about it, do fairly quickly when Nintendo stuff goes missing, know a little tricker here as has not been announced, but in the cases of Nintendo CEX were informed and know not to buy them when the whole stock went missing. As said if stolen then is far more likely to have been a few from a distributor or retailer by the staff walking a couple out somehow, but probably more likely that the person has bought them off someone breaking street date, or who was given early access like devs, or they may even be owner of a small store or distributor trying to make some quick money, but in that case there are shooting themselves in the foot because if sony finds out good luck getting sony goods for a while, but all legal ways they could be sold to CEX and not stolen.

I bet some people would still think its the official retail price if they would sell it for 999 bucks.

Some people should really use their brain more often.

popo

Very unlikely to be stolen. Since it is not officially for sale all Sony would have to do us report the thefts - it would have to have been a major heist given the number of units in the wild - and PC Plod could go to CEX and seize all the stock and check CCTV for the sellers.

Much more likely Sony already shipped to retailers for the anticipated "surprise" launch and some of the smaller indie stores are selling early.

Theonik

I can't believe even more reputable second hand retailers like CEX are jumping in on this given these units are probably stolen. I know they have massive profit potential here that's quite appealing since no-one else would touch this with an 8 foot pole but they are just asking for Sony to sue them to oblivion.

Very unlikely to be stolen. Since it is not officially for sale all Sony would have to do us report the thefts - it would have to have been a major heist given the number of units in the wild - and PC Plod could go to CEX and seize all the stock and check CCTV for the sellers.

Much more likely Sony already shipped to retailers for the anticipated "surprise" launch and some of the smaller indie stores are selling early.
Either is likely. Sony seems to be kinda stuck since any more overt action or calling out the stock as stolen would reveal it's real. They should just reveal it at this point.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Great shop ! I bought 12 ps2 games for 20 pounds just the other week
The hardware they sell is a complete joke tho

Snk vs capcom chaos
Gran tourismo 4
Tinesplitter 1
Timesplitter 3
Colin mcrea 4
Burnout revenge
Guilty gear x2
Half life
Black
Outrun 2006
Juiced
Final fantasy 12

Venom Fox

Banned
Notice the buy in price they are offering? We raise the price of newly released (in this case not) items in order to give you a very good trade in price. This way we can buy loads in, drop the price and offer a better selling price to people who want to buy. It's got nothing to do with wanting to take advantage.

Venom Fox

Banned
Also Sony couldn't sue CEX for buying them... they haven't acknowledged it's real or even that it exists so a claim like that wouldn't hold any water.

NOOI

Banned
Also Sony couldn't sue CEX for buying them... they haven't acknowledged it's real or even that it exists so a claim like that wouldn't hold any water.

Why should Sony need to announce anything? They just had to go through legal channels. Just because you haven't heard anything doesn't mean Sony didn't say anything. They can say plenty without needing to tell people who aren't cops or lawyers.

Top Bottom