• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] CEX already selling Playstation 4 Slim for £380

Venom Fox

Banned
Are you a lawyer? Just curious.
My reasoning is simple.

CEX are buying these off people. Sony decide to take legal action against CEX for buying stolen goods. How can Sony possibly prove CEX knew they were stolen when there wasn't any indication from Sony that units had been stolen in the first place. CEX would just say "Hey we thought these were snide Chinese copies or consoles that were modded by fans".

It'd literally be impossible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that CEX knew they were stolen. Something which you have to do in front of a court and judge.

So happy you included this. Why is it every single one stinks and plays awful abrasive metal/happy hardcore? Why is there no median?
Can't really comment on the smell but we play a wide range of music from the 70's to current charts.

BigEmil

It's a Pawn shop...they always sell above RRP especially for early stiff they receive. This is not the official price.

Bet there phones went off the hook,with the last call being..."Hello,can I speak to the manager please....who's calling...Sony,Mr Sony" click

popo

Either is likely. Sony seems to be kinda stuck since any more overt action or calling out the stock as stolen would reveal it's real. They should just reveal it at this point.

You think a large volume of units being stolen - without the press hearing about it - is likely?

Chunky

Just to play Devils advocate for my corporate overlords, the idea that CEX just accept stolen goods willy-nilly isn't true. Just last week I had to send someone away because during the test for the phone they wanted to trade in it came up as lost/stolen. You also need a serial number on the device and valid ID for any trade-in, so if anything dodgy does come through its easy enough for the police to track them down. Maybe it's lax in other shops, but that's how ours' does it.
and you gotta love that 15% discount m8

dose

My reasoning is simple.

CEX are buying these off people. Sony decide to take legal action against CEX for buying stolen goods. How can Sony possibly prove CEX knew they were stolen when there wasn't any indication from Sony that units had been stolen in the first place. CEX would just say "Hey we thought these were snide Chinese copies or consoles that were modded by fans".

It'd literally be impossible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that CEX knew they were stolen. Something which you have to do in front of a court and judge.
That'a a terrible argument and wouldn't have a chance of standing up in court imo. So despite the packaging and the device itself being labelled with Sony everywhere, you think CEX could get away with 'we didn't think it was Sony's machine, and because we'd never heard of it, it can't be stolen'?

Theonik

My reasoning is simple.

The law doesn't require proof that the offender knew they were stolen. If they can be proven that they would suspect they were stolen that is enough, say consider an unannounced console. That they thought was Chinese knockoffs would not hold as a defence either since CEX sells them as PS4s which is them acknowledging that they are real. The court examines the facts and determines if they would believe they could be stolen.

Furthermore, Sony could send a notification to CEX that the products might be stolen, and CEX ignoring it would be incriminating as now they can't deny knowing they are stolen. This is all without publicly announcing the system. Police might also have been notified in the meantime and such an occurrence would be investigated as per Sony's wishes accounting for the delicate conditions that a company secret.

You think a large volume of units being stolen - without the press hearing about it - is likely?
All it'd take is a 'misplaced' container. This sort of thing has happened before with Halo games being nicked from the factory. The difference is that MS publicaly went and said the theft took place whereas Sony wants to publicaly deny these units even exist and is probably resolving this from the background.

Shiggy

When selling stuff to Gamestop in Germany, they require your identity card and you need to sign that they items sold are your property. The same isn't happening in the UK?

Yeah CEX is notorious for buying literally anything off people, no matter how dodgy it seems. Not sure how they get away with not abiding by stolen goods laws, must be some sort of legal loophole.

Isn't the onus is on the victim to report the theft to the cops and possibly have the Serial number handy in the case of higher value items.

Razmos

My Facebook friend posted this 40 minutes ago with caption "Not even announced yet!"
s8C5fO1.jpg

(I'm in the UK)

Mr Git

Not even just leaked prior to the announcement, but sold. Embarrassing.

What I really can't believe is that they'd still sell any models with a 500gig hard drive, let alone new ones. Gotta make the 1tb in the Neo look good by comparison I suppose.

Elven_Star

What I really can't believe is that they'd still sell any models with a 500gig hard drive, let alone new ones. Gotta make the 1tb in the Neo look good by comparison I suppose.

I'm glad they did, actually. Wouldn't want to pay extra for more storage which I'm not gonna use anyway.

LewieP

If there is no 500gb entry model they can't sell a 1tb model for more. It's classic price discrimination.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Sony don't even acknowledge the change now and just keep pretending like it doesn't exist. Just want to see how long they can keep it up.

krae_man

If that price is accurate, that basically means a $399US price point which does not surprise me in the least.

Price cuts from Sony this gen have been practically non existent.

Popsickles

Considering the PS4 slims are not up for retail sale then the units are obviously stolen from the distribution centre. Sony themselves may not yet be aware of the units being taken if they have a very large stock pile. This is not the first time CEX has been found to be trading stolen goods, remeber Uncharted 4

THE:MILKMAN

It has to be that whichever distribution centre is the one that released these (It surely is a single one?) got pissed about storing thousands of consoles for weeks and in the end just sold them on or sent them to retailers who just sold them on quickly under the counter so as not to be tied up with stock for weeks?

There have been no indications or reports these have been stolen.

This is one big fat mess though and if Sony are only going to address this on or after the 7th then it will be a farce.... if isn't one already.

My reasoning is simple.

Can't really comment on the smell but we play a wide range of music from the 70's to current charts.

271.gif

Audioboxer

Paying £380 to get a... PS4. lol.

Yeah sure, people get excited about shiny new designs, but it is genuinely a PS4. No tangible upgrades, and only potentially minor cost savings on electricity. Of which you're never getting those savings back in the inflated price you've just paid.

People can and will do whatever they want with their cash, so allow me to morph back into an old man yelling at the clouds.

Khrno

People working at SIE don't get the staff sales of new games/consoles until the release day/week, back in the day with the PS3 and PS4 releases we didn't get them until the official release date.

As for the PS3 revisions, they arrived the week after the release date, if the revision was released on a friday, our staff sales arrived the tuesday or wednesday after.

So these consoles were most likely obtained from other methods and not the normal staff sales (I don't work there anymore, but I did get confirmation that the Slims have not arrived for staff sales yet).

THE:MILKMAN

Yeah sure, people get excited about shiny new designs, but it is genuinely a PS4. No tangible upgrades, and only potentially minor cost savings on electricity. Of which you're never getting those savings back in the inflated price you've just paid.

People can and will do whatever they want with their cash, so allow me to morph back into an old man yelling at the clouds.

It is the instant gratification demographic Andrew House was talking about.

500GB is just about enough given the tie ratio consoles typically have had in the past. I don't know what they're like for this gen, but I can't imagine a huge deviation.

If you're a keen gamer who browses this forum then yeah, I'm sure you want more space. But for the average user and Mr or MRs GTA, FIFA and COD. They don't.

KHlover

Banned

Could be worse. Could have paid a thousand bucks for No Man's Sky.

Top Bottom