• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] CEX already selling Playstation 4 Slim for £380

My Facebook friend posted this 40 minutes ago with caption "Not even announced yet!"
s8C5fO1.jpg

(I'm in the UK)

And yet we can't even get a hint on NX.

500GB is just about enough given the tie ratio consoles typically have had in the past. I don't know what they're like for this gen, but I can't imagine a huge deviation.

If you're a keen gamer who browses this forum then yeah, I'm sure you want more space. But for the average user and Mr or MRs GTA, FIFA and COD. They don't.

It amazes me how people don't understand this and the idea that many people are pretty ok with just managing the space they have.

The figures may have changed since but about a year ago the average attach Rate of a ps4 was about 4.5 games. That's still enough for a 500gb drive.

johnny956

Sony's retail channels are just that good. Slims out in the wild already before announcement. Andrew House did say he wanted to announce things closer to launch so they're already beating expectations by releasing it before announcing it!

gossi

It amazes me how people don't understand this and the idea that many people are pretty ok with just managing the space they have.

The figures may have changed since but about a year ago the average tie ratio of a ps4 was about 7 games. That's still enough for a 500gb drive.

Yeah my workmates are around that. One has uninstalled a game to make room for another.

Theonik

lol sony messed up here. how have people got these so early?

i wonder if we'll see the same happen for Neo.
This thing happens quite frequently, the difference is that consoles don't usually get announced as they are going out. Given that Sony likely wanted a wide release straight after the announcement they were going to leak whether from 'lost' shipments or local distributors getting greedy. Information about it happening also gets out more efficiently now than ever before. The other difference is the volume of units is quite high which isn't consistent with indie retail leaks which lends credence to the possibility of a shipment getting stolen.

Jotaka

I really don't get this people wanting to be "first".... They are paying more for a product designed to be cheaper than available model. I guess people like to burning hundreds pounds for the novelty.

xpCZbjL.jpg

I really don't get this people wanting to be "first".... They are paying more for a product designed to be cheaper than available model. I guess people like to burning hundreds pounds for the novelty.

There's literally always a premium for buying new technology first

So what do you think the odds would be of stopping by a mom n' pop game shop and there being stock available? Nil? Thinking about making a few stops on my way home from work...

Dinjooh

So much for Sony's 'Apple style announcement'

Leak wise, this is completely in line with the 'apple method' though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So what do you think the odds would be of stopping by a mom n' pop game shop and there being stock available? Nil? Thinking about making a few stops on my way home from work...

Haven't we only heard reports from the UK so far? I think it's fair to assume this isn't some widespread available item, more likely just a warehouse or distribution centre somewhere that got robbed or fucked up.

For those worrying about price, don't. CEX price things up if they get copies / units in before the official launch date. They'll adjust the trade and sell prices once it officially comes out.

TVC 15

Neo Member
I frequented Computer Exchange near Tottenham Court Road the other day, the original CEX before it became the chain we all know and (un)love.

Man what a depressing sight, I remember getting VF 3TB and Darkstalkers Nightwarriors for Saturn in the early Noughties, tonnes of retro stuff, anime vhs/dvds Pal console conversions etc.

Its just stacks of £1 DVD's, cracked smart phones and that famous CEX/Cash Converters smell now, Bleurgh.

Can people not wait 2-4 weeks for a reveal and the product on shelves.

At this point, Sony should just tell retailers to put it out on shelves and then never talk about it. Ever. Just pretend like they don't even sell a PS4 slim. It would be the first unannounced, never marketed console.

I'd probably buy one just for the memes at that point.

A CEX that I used to frequent always blared incredibly loud rap metal, whilst kids ran up and down screaming and moving the boxes out of alphabetical order.

Great times.

I frequented Computer Exchange near Tottenham Court Road the other day, the original CEX before it became the chain we all know and (un)love.

Man what a depressing sight, I remember getting VF 3TB and Darkstalkers Nightwarriors for Saturn in the early Noughties, tonnes of retro stuff, anime vhs/dvds Pal console conversions etc.

Its just stacks of £1 DVD's, cracked smart phones and that famous CEX/Cash Converters smell now, Bleurgh.

Can people not wait 2-4 weeks for a reveal and the product on shelves.

That one still open? I thought they closed that one and kept the one next to the arcade (well it was an arcade, it changed to one of those shitty slot machine places few years back).

Shin-chan

That one still open? I thought they closed that one and kept the one next to the arcade (well it was an arcade, it changed to one of those shitty slot machine places few years back).
There's two around there. The one you're talking about and another on Rathbone Place near a Cafe Nero.

I used to live near it at uni and went a lot. I got a lot of GameCube games from there at the time, but that was the Rathbone one. The Tottenham Court Road one is too narrow and a bit stifling to be in.

s_mirage

Just to play Devils advocate for my corporate overlords, the idea that CEX just accept stolen goods willy-nilly isn't true. Just last week I had to send someone away because during the test for the phone they wanted to trade in it came up as lost/stolen. You also need a serial number on the device and valid ID for any trade-in, so if anything dodgy does come through its easy enough for the police to track them down. Maybe it's lax in other shops, but that's how ours' does it.
and you gotta love that 15% discount m8

I used to work in a shop which sold DVDs and was near to a CEX. We frequently had problems with people stealing our stock and going straight to trade it in. Apparently the staff there didn't find anything odd in people trading in multiple copies of new, sometimes sealed, items.

Shiggy

I used to work in a shop which sold DVDs and was near to a CEX. We frequently had problems with people stealing our stock and going straight to trade it in. Apparently the staff there didn't find anything odd in people trading in multiple copies of new, sometimes sealed, items.

Not really odd. Could've been unwanted gifts. People quite also do it here at Gamestop, they buy cheap games to use them for some trade-in offer, which still comes cheaper than buying the game they really want somewhere else.

Impotaku

Ah crime exchange, doing what they do best in recycling stolen goods. Oh sure they'll deny everything and say they notify the police if they have suspicions but it's all bullshit they love getting crackheads selling stolen gear it keeps their stock levels healthy.

Suprised Sony haven't investigated how they have stock of something that hasn't even been released yet.

There's one in leeds, like with all of them in the chain. The loud blaring music & shit inefficient slow staff at the till make sure that one visit was all i needed.

Top Bottom