• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
sinister is okay, starts off well and proceeds to fall apart. won't matter to kentpaul as I suspect he'll probably see the film high.

Qasiel

sinister is okay, starts off well and proceeds to fall apart. won't matter to kentpaul as I suspect he'll probably see the film high.
I felt the same with Insidious. Great build-up but rubbish and quite hurried ending - kinda like the last couple of Stephen King books I read.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'm completely the opposite here. I don't understand how people get scared when in a room filled with other people and giant green fire exit signs.

But at 1am, all lights off, and you're on your own in a creaky old house? That shit is scary.

The loud ass speakers putting everyone into cardiac arrest with the slightest creek of a door in the movie.

Save my soul I'm going to be shitting myself.

I ain't smoked weed since i was over in the Netherlands.

SKINNER!

Banned
Do places usually include shift allowance in the advertised salary?

Not sure what you mean by that. Like what they'll pay you every month? I don't think so. They only told me the annual salary sum - excluding tax - after the interview stage so the only way I found what I got every month was when my first salary came along...I was too lazy to calculate it beforehand.

Scuderia

Well they told me the Annual Salary, but then a different person told me i'd get 44% shift allowance. I don't know if it's on top of the Salary i was told, or part of it. Obviously i'm hoping for the former.

Easy way is to just wait and see i guess :)

SKINNER!

Banned
Well they told me the Annual Salary, but then a different person told me i'd get 44% shift allowance. I don't know if it's on top of the Salary i was told, or part of it. Obviously i'm hoping for the former.

Easy way is to just wait and see i guess :)

Oh right! I think shift allowance might be a fancy term for overtime pay in case they make you work crazy hours. That would definitely be on top of the salary but don't take my word for it until another gaffer confirms that.

Scuderia

Yeah i guess it differs from place to place. I have a welcome event next monday anyway where this will no doubt be discussed.

It's not overtime pay because i will be working Continental shifts; 5 days on, 5 days off, then 4 on 4 off.

Qasiel

Yeah i guess it differs from place to place. I have a welcome event next monday anyway where this will no doubt be discussed.

It's not overtime pay because i will be working Continental shifts; 5 days on, 5 days off, then 4 on 4 off.
That's quite a nice shift pattern. Mine is 4 on, 6 off, 4 nights, 4 off, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 off. Luckily I've managed to get into a pattern where my sleep isn't affected too much. Doing any nights, or is it just days?

Scuderia

That's quite a nice shift pattern. Mine is 4 on, 6 off, 4 nights, 4 off, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 off. Luckily I've managed to get into a pattern where my sleep isn't affected too much. Doing any nights, or is it just days?

That's pretty cool too. It will be 3 days, 2 nights then 5 off. Followed by 2 days, 2 nights then 4 off. I've worked shifts before, but only ever 8 hours and weekdays, so this should be pretty interesting.

Qasiel

Sheesh!! ....don't know how you guys do that.

Would drive me crazy.
You just have to keep yourself occupied on my shifts, be that watch films, play games, read etc. on the night shifts, else you run the risk of falling asleep quite easily.

It's not too bad, but it sucks when most of your friends work mon-fri and plan good stuff on weekends when you're working.

Did you guys know when Americans say "peanut butter and jelly", they actually mean peanut butt and jam?

My mind is blown.

All these years I was led to believe they were people out there who actually put jelly into their toast

SKINNER!

Banned
zomg, just found a website where I can download a crap-ton of DOS Big Blue Disks (Abandonware is legal to talk about here right?). My dad had the magazine subscription so I used to play the games that came on those huge black floppy disks when I was little. Gonna have a nostalgic breakdown when I get home.

Darren870

Did you guys know when Americans say "peanut butter and jelly", they actually mean peanut butt and jam?

My mind is blown.

All these years I was led to believe they were people out there who actually put jelly into their toast

Hahaha...always find these funny, the difference between the things we say and the things you guys say.

I actually thought the same. then again Americans are so big and fat they will probably end up doing that anyway.

Egh...Only some of us are. (I think its like more then 50% is overweight now)

Nah I've always known that in America jam is called jelly, and jelly is called jello. Comes from watching so much American tv and films as a kid.

And we're not so far behind in the obesity stakes, one of the fatest countries in Europe.

Yeah everyone remembers these assholes

PB%26J_Otter_-_Before_You_Go_1.jpg

Qasiel

I never understood the fascination with peanut butter - to me it just tastes like a handful of peanuts when chewed. Just the thought of a jar of pre-chewed/regurgitated peanuts was enough to put me off as a kid.

Give me a cheese sarnie any day!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've never been that big on jam. I'll eat it if I have no choice (i.e. been offered a slice of cake and don't want to be seen as rude), but as a kid I avoided the stuff.

SKINNER!

Banned
Now cheese and jam, that's a sandwich.

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I was going to post that but avoided it in case I got scolded with "what the fuck is wrong with you" posts again. Cheese spread or singles? always spread for me. Mixes so well!

Oh, phew. Damn shorty, making me feel like a loon with his Cheryl gifs.

My bad :p If it helps, I felt kinda old not knowing what that show was. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that this is more than 10 years old.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The smell of peanut butter has always given me the boke.

I can't eat nuts. I'm not allergic to them, but if I eat them I will instantly throw up. I've had this response since I was a kid, and back in the day my sister used to make peanut butter sandwiches and then chase me with the tub trying to make me sick.

Lirlond

Weirdest interview of my life. We all sat in a circle and talked about our favourite Disney films.

Almost got run over by an idiot who doesn't know how a one way system works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom