• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(UK) Xbox One X Hits 80k Copies Sold, Matches Switch Launch Sales, Beats PS4 Pro

Adam_802

But I thought MS was selling off the Xbox division and getting out of the console hardware space???? /s

Seriously though, great news. And it shows a market for "high-end consoles".

goldenpp72

But I thought MS was selling off the Xbox division and getting out of the console hardware space???? /s

Seriously though, great news. And it shows a market for "high-end consoles".

That market tends to be front loaded though, which would make this unfortunate.

MilkyJoe

Wait.. what??

MS says, demand for Xbox One X is super high We get a series of naysayers saying MS is lying about demand using availability as proof, after all if they're not sold out, it must mean MS is bullshitting about demand being high, without even knowing their output... amirite? . Now we have some proof about great sales, and suddenly it's not fair because others are constrained? wtf am I reading? lmao.

Babies.

Not Drake

Now we have some proof about great sales, and suddenly it's not fair because others are constrained? wtf am I reading? lmao.

Tell me who's saying it's not fair. You get a raw data and then you put it in the context of availability, price compared to other systems, number of days tracked in the "launch week", etc. Then you form an opinion on it. It's up to you how you take it. Calling each other names, ridiculing arguments of your opponents is silly.

DESTROYA

Good for MS, hopefully they can maintain that level of sales.
Its really great hardware and I give MS credit and this is coming from a mainly PS4 user.
Wish they had more IP's I was into but as a multiplatform system this is the console to get.

Nategc20

Banned
Nah, the king of this gen is the base spec PS4.
The switch and the X are viable now.
Third parties/PUBG for the X and portability for the switch are selling points.

Xbox One X on paper looks like a king of multiplats, but I think it's a bit too late in the console cycle to take that place. Still, I really hope they have great success with such a great product.
The next gen is like 2-3 years away. PS3 caught up late to the 360.

PS4 Pro reached 80,000 in 4 weeks, 1X in 5 days.

... and we are talking about a 399 console vs a 499, so it is more impressive that most think

Nategc20

Banned
For beating base ps4?
Not in a million years
Never said beating, but going forward what do Sony has to hang their hat on? Exclusives? That's all they got going forward. Being powerful then the base xbone was HUGE. Now they can't say that anymore with the X playing EVERYTHING better across the board. This is significant because the mainstream knows the X plays everything better and it's not even close. If they got the money for the X why settle? This mentality will be in shoppers minds this holiday just like itbwas for the base PS4 and xbone. Throw in BC and 4k patches to earlier gen games means buying xbox one x means buying a whole new experience.

I don't need to say anything switch related because it's gaining late traction on the ps4 anyhow so this gen is Sonys to lose and I wouldn't be surprised if all three companies be 10-20 million apart sales wise this gen.

Laserdisk

Never said beating, but going forward what do Sony has to hang their hat on? Exclusives? That's all they got going forward. Being powerful then the base xbone was HUGE. Now they can't say that anymore with the X playing EVERYTHING better across the board. This is significant because the mainstream knows the X plays everything better and it's not even close. If they got the money for the X why settle? This mentality will be on shoppers minds this holiday just like the same argument for the base PS4 and xbone.
It has install base to hang it's hat on, people go with what their friends have and that's a huge influence on casual buyers.
Exclusives help more than the 6tf of power they don't understand

LOL GAF is turning into "Days of Our Lives". People should just be happy for the 1X's success as a sign of renewed competition, which is great for everyone. The constant effort to downplay by warriorz is just ridiculous. Grow up.

Bönthö

Neo Member
Never said beating, but going forward what do Sony has to hang their hat on? Exclusives? That's all they got going forward. Being powerful then the base xbone was HUGE. Now they can't say that anymore with the X playing EVERYTHING better across the board.

For the great majority the investment to a certain brand (your physical games, install base, friend's console) and games on each platform are still the biggest deciding factors on which one to buy, and for that same majority the console they have or are planning to buy will still be either og ps4 or xbox one. You might be misled by browsing gaf, but in the end it's a niche market for both pro and one x when taking the whole ps4 and xbox user base into consideration.

An average consumer most likely won't notice if a game has jaggies, little stuttering etc and doesn't even understand or care about the power difference. If he/she would mind, one x and pro would have sold much more in their opening week. That's why exclusives really matter. If xone's and ps4's hardware would have been flipped, do you think xone would have sold more? If xbox one would've had ps4's exclusives, it certainly would have sold more than it has atm even with a little bit weaker hardware. Most people have no idea that og ps4 is a bit beefier than xone, but they do see the games on each.

Journey

Banned
For beating base ps4?
Not in a million years

Beating it? Yes. LTD sales is one thing, but if Switch or X become the Go To console and everyone starts buying software there, it doesn't matter if another console is already sitting inside their entertainment center if it's collecting dust. Not saying that will be the case, just pointing out how LTD sales is not necessarily the most important metric.

Unknown?

Good for MS, hopefully they can maintain that level of sales.
Its really great hardware and I give MS credit and this is coming from a mainly PS4 user.
Wish they had more IP's I was into but as a multiplatform system this is the console to get.
Like the S it’ll probably plummet next year. It’s got hype but no software to back it up. Power isn’t what helped PS4 stay ahead of the race. It helped at launch but only because it was cheaper.

Never said beating, but going forward what do Sony has to hang their hat on? Exclusives? That's all they got going forward. Being powerful then the base xbone was HUGE. Now they can't say that anymore with the X playing EVERYTHING better across the board. This is significant because the mainstream knows the X plays everything better and it's not even close. If they got the money for the X why settle? This mentality will be in shoppers minds this holiday just like itbwas for the base PS4 and xbone. Throw in BC and 4k patches to earlier gen games means buying xbox one x means buying a whole new experience.

I don't need to say anything switch related because it's gaining late traction on the ps4 anyhow so this gen is Sonys to lose and I wouldn't be surprised if all three companies be 10-20 million apart sales wise this gen.

Is this gamefaqs now? This is embarrassing.

Wiped89

Pretty good for what was a muted launch in retail stores and on the marketing front. That most sales were for the project scorpio edition indicates that the majority of day one buyers preordered months ago.

Switch was the launch of a whole new platform and had a much bigger push behind it.

Wonder how it'll do long-term versus One S sales.

I see comments like this about every game and console in almost every sales thread. It was marketed TONS here in the UK. Way more than the PS4 Pro. I've seen ads on TV, on social media, in cinemas, all over. I think a lot of people on here just don't spend enough time doing other things to notice them (no offence to you)

Uhtred

I have to give credit to Phill. He had, and continues to have a very difficult job. Hes done so well.

Swass

Wait.. what??

MS says, demand for Xbox One X is super high We get a series of naysayers saying MS is lying about demand using availability as proof, after all if they're not sold out, it must mean MS is bullshitting about demand being high, without even knowing their output... amirite? . Now we have some proof about great sales, and suddenly it's not fair because others are constrained? wtf am I reading? lmao.

What did my post have to do with demand or discounting what MS says. I commented about data posted that the Pro and Switch were supply constrained while the X wasn't which was also backed up by several other posts in this thread. MS saying demand is high could be anything when you don't know what their original projections and expectations for the system were.

And holy shit on the fanboy trolling being allowed on the site in this thread.. I guess traffic is traffic.. but damn.

Like the S it’ll probably plummet next year. It’s got hype but no software to back it up. Power isn’t what helped PS4 stay ahead of the race. It helped at launch but only because it was cheaper.
Xbox one x sales will likely drop off, yes, but what helped the ps4 at launch was that the xbox one had an inescapable wave of negativity AND the fact that it was $100 more expensive despite being less powerful (largely due to the inclusion of kinect). That started the entire domino effect, resulting in the gap in sales, lower number of exclusives, and continued poor perception of the xbox one system. But I think people are a bit short-sighted when the say there is or will be no software for the xbox one x, as if MS is just sitting around doing nothing. Whether people want to count Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves as legitimate new software or not, that's exactly what they are, plus Halo 6 is looming on the horizon. But there is plenty of time to announce new stuff at the end of this year or the beginning of next year, regardless, and I don't think it's crazy to expect MS to announce new stuff over the next 3-6 months.

JP

I'd imagine that Microsoft were pretty happy with numbers like this, I do wonder how it will translate into long term sales though as I'm still not sure that it's a mass market console. I'm not really convinced that Microsoft ever expected it to be that though.
I really wish that that when people used words like these, and many others like them received an instant ban when they posted them. They're inherently negative and nothing positive ever came out of people using words like these.

Swass

I'd imagine that Microsoft were pretty happy with numbers like this, I do wonder how it will translate into long term sales though as I'm still not sure that it's a mass market console. I'm not really convinced that Microsoft ever expected it to be that though.

I think the most interesting metric, which we will never be privy to, would be how many Xbox One X purchases are new customers opposed to existing upgrades. This would be a far more telling stat about the future success of the console than raw sold through numbers.

Renna Hazel

Yeah, it really is quite crazy how people do this. I don’t even think they consciously do it to be honest - I think they are just so in love with their preferred console that it just comes out.

I’ll never understand it...

Is there really anything bad about adding context to the numbers? For anyone who does analyze these things, context is very important. The launch sales are good, but for people who will use industry standards to make an analysis for the future, it's good to have the full picture.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I really wish that that when people used words like these, and many others like them received an instant ban when they posted them. They're inherently negative and nothing positive ever came out of people using words like these.

I agree. Hope mods get on this more quickly.

LordRaptor

I think the most interesting metric, which we will never be privy to, would be how many Xbox One X purchases are new customers opposed to existing upgrades. This would be a far more telling stat about the future success of the console than raw sold through numbers.

Thats actually the one metric MS does give out - MAUs.
If there is not a corresponding spike in MAUs, then it is fair to assume that sales are cannibalising existing users, not adding new ones.

Swass

I agree. Hope mods get on this more quickly.

The ban culture surrounding this site is partially what lead to its downfall.. the new site only bans for 24 hours unless blatant and continued rule breaks occur.. it makes quite a difference.

That said, it's starting to look like anarchy here now.. I'm very surprised what people are getting away with, especially juniors.

Thats actually the one metric MS does give out - MAUs.
If there is not a corresponding spike in MAUs, then it is fair to assume that sales are cannibalising existing users, not adding new ones.

This would be a great point except it will also be mixed with $189 black Friday Xbox One S deals that are surely going to make these numbers spike, at least here in the US, which is going to muddy the waters for sure.

Laserdisk

Beating it? Yes. LTD sales is one thing, but if Switch or X become the Go To console and everyone starts buying software there, it doesn't matter if another console is already sitting inside their entertainment center if it's collecting dust. Not saying that will be the case, just pointing out how LTD sales is not necessarily the most important metric.
At this price the X will not do it.
This is people upgrading or buying a second console.
It's a shame I can't get those metrics anymore.

Carl

Unfortunate amount of trolls crawling out of the woodwork purely because someone put these numbers in context

Euler007

Great , this could rush PS5 announcement. Just imagine if MS had good IPs by this moment.

Not a chance. The way I see these number is that the PS4 install base increased by 70k more than X1/X in the month. If I was the CEO I'd keep selling the software to that huge base as long as possible, let the competitors do their move first. Release the next gen a year after competition with better specs, price and backwards compatibility to the huge catalog the install base will have attracted. It would help the Y1 drought.

Is there really anything bad about adding context to the numbers? For anyone who does analyze these things, context is very important. The launch sales are good, but for people who will use industry standards to make an analysis for the future, it's good to have the full picture.

Context is fine. It’s just that PS4 Pro being supply constrained may have been a factor, but we can’t simply assume that if there was more supply that it would have sold more units (or at least enough to beat these numbers). And that seems to be what people are implying. That isn’t analysis, it’s conjecture.

Tomeru

Never said beating, but going forward what do Sony has to hang their hat on? Exclusives? That's all they got going forward.

LOL? Lets see what happens when TLoU2 and GoW comes out... You may not care for those mere exclusives, but I'm sure atleast a dozen gamers do.

Swass

Because the PS3 was doing well in EU and Japan.
In which market is the Xbox One beating the PS4 to close the gap?

This, people thinking the Xbox One is going to make any headway on the PS4 based upon the PS3 doing it to the 360 are grossly misinformed on how last generation played out.

Context is fine. It's just that PS4 Pro being supply constrained may have been a factor, but we can't simply assume that if there was more supply that it would have sold more units (or at least enough to beat these numbers). And that seems to be what people are implying. That isn't analysis, it's conjecture.

It's not like we are talking huge numbers here.. the difference is 30,000.. that doesn't seem like an insurmountable number if supply was there.

Gitaroo

Because the PS3 was doing well in EU and Japan.
In which market is the Xbox One beating the PS4 to close the gap?

hope MS can bounce back and be successful, I don't expect it to even reach 50% of One number but it should at least show that there is a market for powerful hardware. Maybe Sony will launch 2 sku next gen, one intended for 4K and one for lower end model for 1080p.

RidHood

Neo Member
Will consider buying one if there is anything more into it than the standard Halo/Forza/Gears..

There are just too many games I can't miss out on PS4

-GUNHED-

Neo Member
This is a positive for the both the industry and gaming.

It’s also what the original Xbox One should have aspired to be.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Will consider buying one if there is anything more into it than the standard Halo/Forza/Gears..

There are just too many games I can't miss out on PS4

That's why I have both. The X is an amazing piece of hardware it will be serve as my 4k uhd player once I get a new TV. It will be my go to machine for 3rd party games. Still have a OG PS4 for Sonys great exclusives.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's a great system and I have enjoyed mine very much so far.

MS did a lot of great things with this system.

The 360 enhanced games is the feature I am most impressed with.

JaffeLion

Banned
Code:
PS4 ----------- 250,000 --- 2 days
Xbox One ------ 150,000 --- 2 days
Switch -------- 80,000 ---- 2 days
Xbox One X ---- 80,000 ---- 5 days
PS4 Pro ------- 50,000 ---- 3 days

* hardware figures are up-weighted 20%
** stock shortages of both PS4 Pro and Switch will have impacted the performance of those machines

*** pathetic spinning

Top Bottom