• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ukraine/Russia conflict NEWS thread - Updates on the Ukrainian crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizzeh

Banned
could you please divulge us into what the sources of these balanced and alternative views are?

Iv no interest in this thread anymore, as iv stated before, im British, have absolutely no love for the Russian's, some of their views are backwards, I can't say the wealth distribution system they have is great, have no biased interest in Ukraine what-so-ever, the issue I have is the fact some people are blinkered beyond belief, to think our media (that has a monopoly and owned by an exceptionally capitalist and corporate driven economy, with Goverments financed on it) are unbiased without political agenda is scary. Suggestion, read a book, do some research on our media, completely disregarding this conflict.

The view if you are critical off our Government, your opposing it or worse its propoganda for the otherside. Because our government is never wrong, ie the wmd's in iraq, watergate, bay of pigs, Ferguson riots etc etc

Information does not take too long to cross-reference and research, you can read various alternative and fairly reliable sources and form a balanced, average opinion (I read plenty, im not going to spoon feed you with sources, pull the finger out and look) that is NOT pro-russian or pro anything. All I see here is fox-news parroting (of course there are other sources) that is similar to a Hollywood production, sad music with fear-mongering inclusive and 1 sided narration without even the consideration that there are 2 sides to a coin. I would check the fluoride levels in the water.

Lets just hope this peace lasts and this discussion becomes irrelevant until the next 1 pops up likely somewhere in the middle-east.

antonz

Some new satellite images from around Debaltseve.
B9xa6JBCAAAAlQp.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
The last times that happened:

1) America declared independence from England (with the help of foreign support).
2) America had a civil war.
Hey! George Washington wasn't blowing up international flights.

Or was he...he's coming, he's coming, he's coming...

Simplet

Iv no interest in this thread anymore, as iv stated before, im British, have absolutely no love for the Russian's, some of their views are backwards, I can't say the wealth distribution system they have is great, have no biased interest in Ukraine what-so-ever, the issue I have is the fact some people are blinkered beyond belief, to think our media (that has a monopoly and owned by an exceptionally capitalist and corporate driven economy, with Goverments financed on it) are unbiased without political agenda is scary. Suggestion, read a book, do some research on our media, completely disregarding this conflict.

The view if you are critical off our Government, your opposing it or worse its propoganda for the otherside. Because our government is never wrong, ie the wmd's in iraq, watergate, bay of pigs, Ferguson riots etc etc

British eh?

Information does not take too long to cross-reference and research, you can read various alternative and fairly reliable sources and form a balanced, average opinion (I read plenty, im not going to spoon feed you with sources, pull the finger out and look) that is NOT pro-russian or pro anything. All I see here is fox-news parroting (of course there are other sources) that is similar to a Hollywood production, sad music with fear-mongering inclusive and 1 sided narration without even the consideration that there are 2 sides to a coin. I would check the fluoride levels in the water.

Lets just hope this peace lasts and this discussion becomes irrelevant until the next 1 pops up likely somewhere in the middle-east.

Am I living in an allternate reality where you didn't just claim that Ukraine "banned' the russian language a year after russian propaganda invented this lie? I suggest you cross-reference a little harder and lecture people a little less.

Syriel

Hey! George Washington wasn't blowing up international flights.

Or was he...he's coming, he's coming, he's coming...

Damnit. Bolded too much of the quote.

Still, point remains. There was bloodshed.

And if the colonies lost, there is no doubt that history would see Washington as a terrorist.

Kabouter

Yes, this is exactly where Russian propaganda has found its most fertile ground, in people with pre-existing tendencies to be extremely sceptical of anything Western governments say and anything the West does. Russian propagandists also exploit the tendency a lot of people in the West have of almost assuming that in any conflict, both sides are equally at fault, and that the solution is somewhere in the middle.

Now, as far as Western governments go, yes, there are obvious reasons for distrust. Anything from the NSA's mass surveillance of citizens all over the world to the causes for the Iraq war are reasons to be sceptical of anything that Western governments say. However, we aren't just listening to Western governments. We're also listening to Western media, which while certainly influenced by capitalistic considerations, is still pluralistic and free. On the Russian end of things, the media is essentially entirely under the control of the state, one that is in effect a single party state. You will not hear deep criticism of the Russian government or its positions in Russian media, whereas this is still the norm throughout the Western world. Even publicly funded media in the West are routinely critical of the very government that provides their funding.

In short, it's always good to be sceptical of the prevailing narrative in any situation, but scepticism does not mean outright rejection of the prevailing narrative. Consider who is reporting what and what their interests in doing so might be.

Vizzeh

Banned
British eh?

Am I living in an allternate reality where you didn't just claim that Ukraine "banned' the russian language a year after russian propaganda invented this lie? I suggest you cross-reference a little harder and lecture people a little less.

Well done, inspector, our Gov and US may as well be the same on foreign policy and when your addressing a majority US forum and consider yourself an ally or extension of them, us/our becomes natural sometimes.Im sure my ip is verified both mobile and land.

Do a quick search on the language, if I made a mistake on it fair enough but it's not a well kept secret that it was at least attempted but if you want marginalise everything with that to disprove it all fair enough.

Listen I'm lecturing no one, anytime you open your mouth in discussion that differs from the norm your pounced on, so you can keep your advice mate.

No one is interested in the illegality of the other associated parties or the verification of the Ukraine deputy addressing congress pre-civil war clearly amongst other points.

As I said I'm done with this thread..stop quoting me and move on.

pants

Could we for like one page stop attacking posters? There is a lot of suspect information posted in here on a daily basis, could we rather add information, point out why sources are potentially fraught with pitfalls, exchange viewpoints civilly etc?

Why even bother if it's eternally going to be Cheezmo, Resident_UA and antonz vs Outcome, Yamauchi and now Vizzeh?

Fiktion

Banned
Could we for like one page stop attacking posters? There is a lot of suspect information posted in here on a daily basis, could we rather add information, point out why sources are potentially fraught with pitfalls, exchange viewpoints civilly etc?

Why even bother if it's eternally going to be Cheezmo, Resident_UA and antonz vs Outcome, Yamauchi and now Vizzeh?
This is a ridiculous false equivalency. Your biggest mistake is assuming that both sides intend to argue in good faith.

The vast majority of the posters in here would like nothing more than to discuss the negotiations, events on the ground, and plain old geopolitics. A certain subset of posters are trying deliberately to make it difficult to have that discussion. They obfuscate, derail, and attempt to confuse with outlandish claims and propaganda that then have to be painstakingly refuted and re-litigated over pages and pages.

antonz

Do you have a source for this? Hoping there are larger images as the text is too tiny for me to read, would also like to read the accompanying commentary.

Just tweets from the US ambassador to Ukraine. No detailed explanations sadly. clicking the image should enlarge it to full size but that's the best provided.
@GeoffPyatt is his twitter handle

@GeoffPyatt · 34m34 minutes ago
Seps now have larger fighting force with more tanks armored vehicles, heavy artillery & rocket systems than some NATO and European countries

pants

Just tweets from the US ambassador to Ukraine. No detailed explanations sadly. clicking the image should enlarge it to full size but that's the best provided.

Yeah thats massively tiny. I'll see if these images pop up elsewhere, thanks.

Mully

It's not a personal fight (well maybe it is for Resident). This is a news thread, not a misinformation, blame the West, post Tweets and years old photographs as verified sources thread.

pants

^It's been a personal fight for a long time. I've been in this thread since day 1 and I'm tired of everyone.

@antonz got it bigger, adding the tweets for reference

https://twitter.com/GeoffPyatt

Geoffrey Pyatt ‏@GeoffPyatt 6h6 hours ago
Debaltseve. We are confident these are Russian military, not separatist, systems

Will Stevens @WBStevens · 6m 6 minutes ago
More satellite imagery of advanced Russian weapons systems inside eastern Ukraine.
Via @GeoffPyatt

Mully

Those photos coincided with the State Department accusation of Russian artillery near Debaltseve earlier yesterday.

The Times published a fantastic article about exactly what I've been moaning about the last two days in this thread. People really need to be careful about what they post here since it's a news thread. Twitter posts and photos of Russian armored columns should be used as guidance for research, not as legitimate sources.

When Senator James Inhofe took the floor of the Senate on Wednesday to argue for arming the Ukrainian military, he brought with him what he called indisputable proof of Moscow’s support for the separatists in eastern Ukraine — a poster with three large photographs of “Russian tanks entering Ukrainian territory.”

In his prepared remarks, Mr. Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma, said the images of “Russian troops in T-72 tanks, B.T.R. armored personnel carriers, and B.M.P. infantry fighting vehicles entering eastern Ukraine” constituted evidence of “an invasion of the Ukraine by Russia.”

While none of his colleagues made any objection, just minutes after Mr. Inhofe had finished speaking a friendly conservative news outlet his staff had provided the same images to, The Washington Free Beacon, acknowledged that “serious questions have been raised about the authenticity of some of the photographs” by bloggers with access to Google Image search.

Two hours later, as Gawker reported, a group effort to vet the photographs had revealed that one of the images, taken in October, showed separatists in Ukraine, while the other two did show Russian troops, but driving near Russia’s border with Georgia more than six years ago during the brief conflict in South Ossetia.

Oriel

It's funny how the Kremlin drones always bang on about demanding proof of Russian involvement in Ukraine, like satellite photos. Well now that such imagery is shown will they finally concede Russia has forces in Ukraine? :rolleyes:

Kabouter

Amazing how cab drivers, farmers, and other rag-tag rebels can use such advanced weaponry.

Out of curiosity, since you seem to know, how complex to operate are these rocket launching systems and towed artillery? Like, could they be operated by people after receiving some training or would it require well-trained personnel like the anti-air system that downed the MH17?

antonz

Roughly 12 hours until ceasefire is supposed to begin.

Battalion Azov is reporting an Armor convoy has crossed from Russia and passed through Novoazovsk in likely bid to try and regain the round lost in recent days. Azov is engaged in combat at Shirokino near Mariupol

pants

Those photos coincided with the State Department accusation of Russian artillery near Debaltseve earlier yesterday.

The Times published a fantastic article about exactly what I've been moaning about the last two days in this thread. People really need to be careful about what they post here since it's a news thread. Twitter posts and photos of Russian armored columns should be used as guidance for research, not as legitimate sources.

Of course the source is the Ukraine government.

People really need to be careful about what they post here since it's a news thread. Twitter posts and photos of Russian armored columns should be used as guidance for research, not as legitimate sources.
This is the kind of interaction I prefer actually, someone posts something, more information /validation/or in this case invalidation comes up : the level of conversation easily improves after as everyone will know to question this source more, disregard these images as they pop up again etc. This is way better than people stubbornly deciding their narrative beforehand and then finding crap to prove it.

That being said, if I knew the original source was the Ukraine government I would have treated this as false until verified by an outside source. I've given up on both Russian and Ukrainian reporting about 100 pages ago.

Roughly 12 hours until ceasefire is supposed to begin.

Battalion Azov is reporting an Armor convoy has crossed from Russia and passed through Novoazovsk in likely bid to try and regain the round lost in recent days.
This should probably be one of those cases where you disregard until verified by a better source.

Kabouter

Roughly 12 hours until ceasefire is supposed to begin

Experts in the Dutch media all seem to agree that the chance of there actually being a ceasefire is just about nil with the fighting only having escalated in recent days. I honestly don't know what it will take for this conflict to actually end. I'm certainly not eager to just pour advanced weaponry into Ukraine and turn it into a proxy war, so I'm hoping a different solution can be found. I have a feeling many more civilians will die before this is all over :(

antonz

Experts in the Dutch media all seem to agree that the chance of there actually being a ceasefire is just about nil with the fighting only having escalated in recent days. I honestly don't know what it will take for this conflict to actually end. I'm certainly not eager to just pour advanced weaponry into Ukraine and turn it into a proxy war, so I'm hoping a different solution can be found. I have a feeling many more civilians will die before this is all over :(

Sadly I do agree. There is no way even if a cease fire does happen that Russia does not take Debaltseve first. It is far too vital being a Major Railway position between Donetsk and Luhansk. Sure the roadway connections are there but railway is vital for moving armor etc quickly

Xando

I think if the ceasefire doesn't hold (which is pretty likely) we'll see a big escalation in the next weeks. The US will first pump defensive weapons into ukraine but soon realize that they need more (especially artillery), europeans will impose stricter sanctions and i can see putin officially invade ukraine to "stop the ukraine army killing their citizens", eastern ukraine (and maybe more) will be lost because the west isn't willing to intervene themselves but they will impose stricter sanctions and russia will bankrupt in the next 1-2 years.

Simplet

^It's been a personal fight for a long time. I've been in this thread since day 1 and I'm tired of everyone.

And surprise! That's exactly the result they want to achieve. Obviousy they were never going to convince you of Russia's "humanitarian effort", but the more people are just disgusted of the whole thing the better.

antonz

Can take with grain of salt or whatever but with the build up etc there is little doubt

@leonidragozin · 8m8 minutes ago
Rebel artillery is leveling Debaltsevo, the town is aflame, writes the chief of Ukrainian police in Donetsk region.

Wiping the city off the map. Scorch that Earth so no place to defend

Nothings going to end it if russia doesn't want it to end. US/Nato supplied weapons wont end it.

Ww3 Isn't going to start over this so Russia will continue to do what it likes.

ICKE

Banned
What the hell is going on? The Finnish media is reporting that Debaltseve is under constant artillery barrage. I hope the civilians have been evacuated but it seems like separatist forces are organizing a heavy assault on the entire southern front just before the cease-fire deadline.

There is also heavy fighting in Shirokino (like antonz stated above) and apparently the town is pretty much destroyed at this point.

antonz

What the hell is going on? The Finnish media is reporting that Debaltseve is under constant artillery barrage. I hope the civilians have been evacuated but it seems like the goal is to inflict a lot of pain and send a message of sorts before the cease-fire deadline.

There is also heavy fighting in Shirokino like antonz said and apparently the entire town is basically gone/leveled at this point.

It is basically WWII style doctrine which Russia has never moved past. You level an area until there is nothing to defend or defend from. Eventually The Ukrainians have only 2 choices. Defend out in the open where there is no longer any defenses so hey can be slaughtered under more artillery barrages or fall back. Civilians and others do not matter. They are meat to be grinded.

Every city Ukraine is forced out of pretty much ends the same. Burned out ruins.

Why wont you give us these alternative and fairly reliable sources?
Why dont you want us to get a balanced opinion?
IF these sources are so good you would want to share them in order to enlighten us.

Flouride levels?
what?
are you a truther too?
whats next?
chemtrails?

Vastag

Why wont you give us these alternative and fairly reliable sources?
Why dont you want us to get a balanced opinion?
IF these sources are so good you would want to share them in order to enlighten us.

Basically this, either you tell what sources are you talking about or you shut up with all the nonsense.

So that agreement that Russia signed? (the russian ambassador to ukraine to be exact). They now deny being party to any minsk agreements.

Putins spokesmen said this earlier.

antonz

So that agreement that Russia signed? (the russian ambassador to ukraine to be exact). They now deny being party to any minsk agreements.

Putins spokesmen said this earlier.

Oh see that is the farce of it all. Russia,UK,France and Ukraine actually signed Nothing.

OSCE and the "Rebels" signed the agreement. The "Normandy Group" is simply "overseers" and "enforcers"

In other news. Rebel leader when asked about Ukraine regaining control of border as per agreement says of course not
http://slon.ru/fast/world/zakharche...u-kievu-kontrolya-nad-granitsey-1215502.xhtml

You can't have fully transparent information in a war, especially not in a stealth, hybrid war which Russia wages against Ukraine.
There are still established facts which people may accept or ignore based on their preconceptions while exposing their intellectual dishonesty. Russia's stealth, hybrid war on Ukraine is one such fact.

Anyhow, I suggest two threads: one for the conflict and one for the east vs. west, cold war II discussion. The conflict thread should focus on the war (call it Russo-Ukrainian Donbass war). The other one can contain all peripheral discussions and news (on sanctions or when Russian jets invade EU airspace).

I will create drafts for both threads (containing time lines and primary and secondary sources from all sides) and run them by Kabouter, Resident_UA and Outcome or Yamauchi. Everyone may add their opinion, unless it's some idiotic truther shit.

chadskin

AFP: #BREAKING Shelling kills two in centre of Ukraine rebel city Donetsk
https://twitter.com/afp/status/566584159519637504
andrewsweiss: Poroshenko sticks to promise to impose martial law in all of #Ukraine if ceasefire fails RU http://t.co/RnYGTN2Upl
https://twitter.com/andrewsweiss/status/566586464323264512
MaxRTucker: Surprise! #Zakharchenko: #Debaltseve not part of Minsk2. Basically he's up for ceasefire everywhere except where there is fighting. #Ukraine
https://twitter.com/maxrtucker/status/566589791442313216
KevinRothrock: http://t.co/i95Gy4Nt4Y Donetsk rebels say Minsk 2 ceasefire doesn't apply to Debaltseve. "There's not one word about it in the agreement."
https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/566589636399890433
maxseddon: Rebels in Donetsk plan to take more territory if their independence isn't recognized & won't return Ukraine the border. So much for Minsk!
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/566589918991118337
AFP: #BREAKING Russia accuses Ukraine, Western nations of distorting peace deal
https://twitter.com/afp/status/566593427157315585

Vizzeh

Banned
Yes, this is exactly where Russian propaganda has found its most fertile ground, in people with pre-existing tendencies to be extremely sceptical of anything Western governments say and anything the West does. Russian propagandists also exploit the tendency a lot of people in the West have of almost assuming that in any conflict, both sides are equally at fault, and that the solution is somewhere in the middle.

Now, as far as Western governments go, yes, there are obvious reasons for distrust. Anything from the NSA's mass surveillance of citizens all over the world to the causes for the Iraq war are reasons to be sceptical of anything that Western governments say. However, we aren't just listening to Western governments. We're also listening to Western media, which while certainly influenced by capitalistic considerations, is still pluralistic and free. On the Russian end of things, the media is essentially entirely under the control of the state, one that is in effect a single party state. You will not hear deep criticism of the Russian government or its positions in Russian media, whereas this is still the norm throughout the Western world. Even publicly funded media in the West are routinely critical of the very government that provides their funding.

In short, it's always good to be sceptical of the prevailing narrative in any situation, but scepticism does not mean outright rejection of the prevailing narrative. Consider who is reporting what and what their interests in doing so might be.

Thanks for the extremely balanced & rational response, as you said it is certainly worth holding scepticism and critical thinking over everything we are subjected too, the Russian media certainly looks to be filled with propaganda as does Ukrainian and to be fair even our media does too. The government over our history, whilst serving our interests, definitely serve their own first, with corporate and capitalistic foreign policies and have been well documented in being involved in many scandals.

There are various topics and research on government involvement on media, quite a few books out and 'follow the money' examples but without getting offtopic here is a generic basic example on theory, on wiki, (which cannot be 100% construed as fact imo) without anything opinionated Agenda-setting theory. Of course that is just "what" it is, there is no information about how it is currently implemented by corporations/elitists/financiers etc.

The Guardian is the most free-press in our media you are likely to find as they are ran Scott Trust Limited 'The sole shareholder in Guardian Media Group, the Trust was created in 1936 to safeguard the journalistic freedom and liberal values of the Guardian'

This should be read in its entirety.
Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

The US military is developing software that will let it secretly manipulate social media sites by using fake online personas to influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda.

They also ran a story NSA files: why the Guardian in London destroyed hard drives of leaked file

Exclusive: NSA pays £100m in secret funding for GCHQ

• Secret payments revealed in leaks by Edward Snowden
• GCHQ expected to 'pull its weight' for Americans
• Weaker regulation of British spies 'a selling point' for NSA

'A threat of legal action by the government that could have stopped reporting on the files leaked by Edward Snowden led to a symbolic act at the Guardian's offices in London'
- There are many related stories, doesn't matter if you are pro-snowdan or not, The government will use force on unregulated material.

There are other opinion pieces on the above by Guardian editors which shown a much more threatening stance by GCHQ on that day and the state of the free media, certainly worth reading/researching.

But even as above shown they are not above regulatory pressure
'my Guardian blog was to be immediately discontinued. Not because my article was incorrect, factually flawed, or outrageously defamatory. Not because I'd somehow breached journalistic ethics, or violated my contract. No. The Gaza gas piece, he said, was "not an environment story," and therefore was an "inappropriate post" for the Guardian's environment website.

There are ties with deep media monopoly and the lobbing influence on American/British public policy and the influence of that media with top elite corporations and our governments.

Although the argument is certainly true, that at least on most lower level policies and politic narrative our media is extremely free to question and hold our government to justice, unlike in a majority controlled media in Russia/N.Korea/China etc.

I feel we could do more to understand and ask the questions to ourselves on why this war began, not just because Ukraine rejected the pro - EU pact but the civil unrest caused at the time in Kiev, the role Svoboda had on public unrest (due to the corrupt Ukrainian government) being a neo-Nazi, anti-Semitism and political extremism party with affiliation to exceptionally violent methods and gang 'terror' and with that, the role McCain and Gov had with them (plenty of news trails + capital motive) photos in last page with their Neo-Nazi leader Oleh Tyahnybok + McCain and his pure hard-on for getting weapons into Ukraine that escalate, which is not just because he is a nice guy.

Svoboda Neo Nazi article by the huffington post (many more out there)
"Neo-Nazi," the official position of the United States government along with the stance taken by many in the American media both now seem quite dubious, if not downright ridiculous, especially considering that one would be hard-pressed to machinate the lineup that now dominates Ukraine's ministry posts."The Obama administration has vehemently denied charges that Ukraine's nascent regime is stock full of neo-fascists"

The Ukrainian Deputy in 2013 pre-Kiev riots and unrest, with Prior knowledge to the a Civil War https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9hOl8TuBUM - If this can be verified it is scary shit. (not by a couple of random drive-by posters) - Geoffrey Pyatt was also mentioned in this.

Victoria Nuland (Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs at the United States Department of State ) and Geoffrey Pyatt (the United States Ambassador to Ukraine) with leaked phone call Phone tap recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSxaa-67yGM#t=81 on who they would like to install as the interim PM in Kiev. - This lead to a Public article by the BBC covering this transcript where she famously said "FUCK THE EU" which a few mainstream media reported on, sometimes disengenously.. quoted from the article:

BBC's Jonathan Marcus: Overall this is a damaging episode between Washington and Moscow. Nobody really emerges with any credit. The US is clearly much more involved in trying to broker a deal in Ukraine than it publicly lets on

“During an April 28 meeting with Ambassador, Our Ukraine (OU) insider Petro Poroshenko emphatically denied he was using his influence with the Prosecutor General to put pressure on Tymoshenko lieutenant Oleksandr.”

” During an April 28 meeting with Ambassador, Our Ukraine (OU) insider Petro Poroshenko denied that he was behind Prosecutor General Oleksandr Medvedko’s recent decision to issue an arrest warrant for Tymoshenko lieutenant Oleksandr Turchynov. … [to] question him about the alleged destruction of SBU [Ukraine intel] files on organized crime figure Seymon Mogilievich.” [Russian Mafia Boss of Bosses] WikiLeaks Public Library of U.S. Diplomacy

edit: Petro PoroshenkoWikiLeaks - Information from source removed due to potentially invalid information

McCain, Arseniy Yatsenyuk (The now Ukraine Prime Minister), left, and Oleh Tyahnybok (The leader of the aforementioned seemingly extremist party.) and Senator McCain on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013
McCain and Oleh Tyahnybok at the Pro-European rally.

The above if you take the time to read, might answer some of your questions on my inquisitive stance on the war. Please do not flame, make derogatory remarks, take the information with a pinch of salt, everything isn't so simple a marauding dictator on the loose when we seemingly have done plenty to "poke the bear". There are a wealth of information out there and I personally have no interest in engaging with anyone that wants to pick tiny flaws to devalue an entire idea, or use condescending tones and aggression instead of using critical thinking, no matter how ridiculous anything sounds. Even if it is its viewed as rhetoric in some peoples view, most of it is fact with hard evidence, fact that is not in the hands of mainstream public, and not mass-circulated.

I am pro-American and pro-British, we are basically extensions of one-another but I do like to question our governments and at least "try" and see the other view of the war, rather than be absorbed by 1 side. I personally do not see any reason why the narrative that putin wants to steam roll over Ukraine (to his distaste or not) and Europe as a legit theory. The moment he shows aggression beyond the mostly majority Russian ethnic/Language counties of Ukraine, I see in part, a war that is fueled by oil, weapons and pushed by corporate greed. Obama can have my backing to push that red button if Putin so much as takes his top off again and flex's and I would certainly be patriotic enough to stand up and be counted in any form of oppression by Putin. I stand up for my country, not my Government. They serve Us.

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.”
― Thomas Pynchon.

Also on the current President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko, “Our Ukraine Insider” for the U.S. State Department indicate that newly elected President of Ukraine, Petro Poroshenko was an agent for US States State Department. A confidential message from the U.S. Embassy in Kiev on April 29, 2006 mentions the newly elected Ukraine president twice.

This is a bit of Russian propaganda that keeps returning even though it's easily checked and shown to be false. The similarity of this talking point coming back so often really makes me wonder if there is some common set of disinformation that people work from.

“During an April 28 meeting with Ambassador, Our Ukraine (OU) insider Petro Poroshenko emphatically denied he was using his influence with the Prosecutor General to put pressure on Tymoshenko lieutenant Oleksandr.”

Our Ukraine is the name of the party so an Our Ukraine insider is someone with inside knowledge of the Our Ukraine party, not someone who is an agent of the US.

Google has 34,6 million hits for 'Our Ukraine Insider' with tinfoil megdispensary globalresearch.ca at the top and endless lists of posts on boards in all languages repeating pretty much exactly the same thing.

Vizzeh

Banned
This is a bit of Russian propaganda that keeps returning even though it's easily checked and shown to be false. The similarity of this talking point coming back so often really makes me wonder if there is some common set of disinformation that people work from.

Our Ukraine is the name of the party so an Our Ukraine insider is someone with inside knowledge of the Our Ukraine party, not someone who is an agent of the US.

Google has 34,6 million hits for 'Our Ukraine Insider' with tinfoil megdispensary globalresearch.ca at the top and endless lists of posts on boards in all languages repeating pretty much exactly the same thing.

To be fair, regardless what it means or what information that leak holds, if it is ambiguous or not, it is just a piece of information. No one is going to own up to anything. It may or may not be true, its just 1 point amongst many reasons to be sceptical on the official narrative that can be disproved or approved easily.

It isn't even that great a piece of information. Just a point.

chadskin

Also on the current President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko, “Our Ukraine Insider” for the U.S. State Department indicate that newly elected President of Ukraine, Petro Poroshenko was an agent for US States State Department. A confidential message from the U.S. Embassy in Kiev on April 29, 2006 mentions the newly elected Ukraine president twice.

For one, "Our Ukraine" is a political party in Ukraine Poroshenko was a member of, it's not "Our Ukraine Insider Poroshenko". Just to be precise.

Also, what do you think the purpose of an embassy is (beyond issuing Visas)? Let the Vienna Convention help me out here:

"The functions of a diplomatic mission consist, inter alia, in representing the sending State in the receiving State; protecting in the receiving State the interests of the sending State and of its nationals, within the limits permitted by international law; negotiating with the Government of the receiving State; ascertaining by all lawful means conditions and developments in the receiving State, and reporting thereon to the Government of the sending State; promoting friendly relations between the sending State and the receiving State, and developing their economic, cultural and scientific relations"

Among loads of other sources, talking to people in the government and at various other levels to gather information and intelligence to report back to the home country (aka cables) is basically the bread and butter of every embassy.

As for Poroshenko, I don't know much about him but I'm going to assume he was always, or increasingly over time, leaning towards a pro-US stance which would explain why he had conversations with members of the US diplomatic mission occasionally and why he was supposedly illegally wiretapped by the SBU as one cable suggests. Unless Poroshenko crossed the line of international law and domestic law in terms of the content of these conversations, then that's perfectly fine for him to talk to members of the US diplomatic mission. At the time he was just a member of the Ukrainian parliament, not the Ukrainian government, so he really was just a small fish in the pond of Ukraine's politics. That said, he certainly was a valuable source of information when it comes to the inner workings of the "Our Ukraine" party which had won the parliamentary elections in 2006.

Not to go down the "whataboutism" road here but I can assure you there are plenty of Ukrainians who regularly talk to the members of the Russian diplomatic mission, too. Or to the German, French, British, [insert country with an embassy in Ukraine here] diplomatic mission. To call Poroshenko an "agent of the US state dept" is, well, frankly, dumb.

To be fair, regardless what it means or what information that leak holds, if it is ambiguous or not, it is just a piece of information. No one is going to own up to anything. It may or may not be true, its just 1 point amongst many reasons to be sceptical on the official narrative that can be disproved or approved easily.

It isn't even that great a piece of information. Just a point.

Russian Maskirovka in action.

chadskin

The Finnish Institute of International Affairs pointed out one more proof of Russia's involvement in Ukraine, in no other document than the Minsk II agreement:

Although probably accidentally, the document provided proof of direct Russian military involvement in the conflict. Among the heavy weapons to be withdrawn is the Tornado-S, which is explicitly mentioned. This high-tech, long- range multiple-launch rocket system (MLRS) entered into service in the Russian Federation in 2012, and is operated by no other state. Hence, if Tornados are to be withdrawn from the conflict zone, they could not have originated from anywhere but Russia.

http://t.co/0EeizkN2sB (PDF), via https://twitter.com/lucian_kim/status/566547026650083329

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom