• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ukraine/Russia conflict NEWS thread - Updates on the Ukrainian crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stronger warnings against posting Russian blog shit has left some posters with only "Enlighten yourself" as a thread shitting strategy.

Ironically that's the same strategy you pulled with your 'lolilluminati' shitposting when I pointed out Russian Monsanto blog shit in a recent thread.

I suspect there is plenty more Drama ahead, lets hope it is more politics and not fighting.

The latter is most likely considering the porous border leaking Russian tourists along with the heavy weapons their employer kindly allows them to take on holiday.

Oriel

The ceasefire won't last if the "rebels" maintain this sort of attitude:

Two rebels commanders, meanwhile, have been quoted as saying they are entitled to open fire in Debeltseve, with one reportedly saying it was "their territory" and the ceasefire only applied to the frontline.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31475744

Debeltseve is Ukrainian territory; any attempt to take it by the Russians would result in the scrapping of the ceasefire. Hopefully some sane leadership from the Kremlin (lol) will keep a cool on their proxies in Donbass.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So basically you're calling me a fool for not listing your conspiracy theories without you having any proof?

Show me proof and i'll edit my post.

If you're so hellbent in taking my comment as a suggestion that you're a fool after me explicitly saying that was not what was said, then you're free to attach that label to yourself. Witty and all...

As for the conspiracy theories, I don't remember me listing any. Unless you disagree with Ukraine being currently a puppet state (of the West) or disagreeing on the essence of the war (and uprising support that led to the coup d'eta ), geopolitics. Everything else is a snowball effect.

Looks like another mink. Shelling in some areas, but continuous and later some battles. At this point the 'ceasefire' never worked, since some groups still want territory. In my view it is either holding or not.

Nivash

lol at "largely holding" it's either holding or it isn't.

Cease-fires actually rarely mean a complete end to hostilities, especially when one side (the separatists) is irregular. The last ceasefire suffered from a lot of random exchanges of fire too. But if the casualties go down by say 90 % and there are no offensives from either side they are considered to be holding.

That basically means that whether the agreement was even remotely successful depends on what exactly is going on in Debeltseve.

chadskin

PARIS (Reuters) - France and Germany said a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine was being generally observed despite local incidents, which needed to be resolved quickly, according to a statement from the French presidency on Sunday.

French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke to the Russian and Ukrainian presidents about the agreement reached in Minsk on Feb. 12 and agreed to move towards the next steps provided for in the deal, the statement said.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/france-ge...rved-despite-incidents-162742247.html#slUBTTp

That's an interesting assessment.

antonz

and of course Russia sent in another 170 truck "humanitarian aid" convoy. Have to love that respect for the integrity of borders.

It really is hysterical that they can say its holding when the fighting is pretty much happening everywhere it was prior to the ceasefire.

Russian TV along side Zhironovskys plan for Ukraine. Take all the east and south for Russia, give the west to Poland some to Romania etc and leave a small center piece with Kyiv for Ukraine
WCBfXGj.png

Nivash

and of course Russia sent in another 170 truck "humanitarian aid" convoy. Have to love that respect for the integrity of borders.

It really is hysterical that they can say its holding when the fighting is pretty much happening everywhere it was prior to the ceasefire.

Russian TV along side Zhironovskys plan for Ukraine. Take all the east and south for Russia, give the west to Poland some to Romania etc and leave a small center piece with Kyiv for Ukraine
WCBfXGj.png

I'll never understand their obsession with "returning" western Ukraine to Poland. Is it some attempt to appear balanced in arguing for Russia getting to grab half of Ukraine? Simply being anal about history? General hatred of Lviv? More trolling? Lviv and the surrounding area isn't even remotely Polish anymore because the USSR forcibly relocated the Poles from it. And Poland wouldn't want it in a million years!

Nivash

Oh now it applies to Debaltseve. Not yesterday when they were shelling Ukrainian troops there. Why the change of heart I wonder? They were pretty set on the ceasefire not applying to Debaltseve since it was "their" territory.

Lack of success on the ground maybe? Shelling aside, they never really seemed to be able to punch through the defenders at Develtseve despite going at it for nearly a month. Either that, or they're switching tactics and have decided to besiege the city if it's true that they have it surrounded.

antonz

Lack of success on the ground maybe? Shelling aside, they never really seemed to be able to punch through the defenders at Develtseve despite going at it for nearly a month. Either that, or they're switching tactics and have decided to besiege the city if it's true that they have it surrounded.

This probably plays a part. There is supposed to be up to 10,000 Ukrainian Troops there plus armor etc. Ukraine was supposedly able to get one last big resupply and fresh troop rotation in before the ceasefire too.

On top of that Russia may finally be trying to weasel its way out as they got what they wanted. I mean local elections before the borders are even sealed etc. Like those are going to be legitimate.

Well so much for that. Being reported the 40th Battalion in Debaltseve has apparently been given an hour to surrender or they will be annihilated
@RolandOliphant · 3m3 minutes ago
Reports: Ukrainian's 40th btn in Debaltseve told to surrender by 11 pm (an hour from now) or be wiped out. Can't immediately confirm.
@myroslavapetsa · 13m13 minutes ago
Militants issue an ultimatum to Kryvbas Battalion in #Debaltseve demanding that soldiers put down arms by 23:00 Kyiv time

antonz

It would certainly be feasible to be hearing shots fired. Stating a direction doesn't mean they are in that city exactly either. Basically the resident is claiming to hear fire to the southwest which would be heading towards Debaltseve which we know has been under attack.

New dispatch: Flying Drones with the Dnipro Battalion: Russian Roulette (Dispatch 93)

The map from above is quite old btw. No idea why they reused in on Russian tv:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/24/ukraine-crisis-partition-letter-idUSL5N0ML1LO20140324

MOSCOW, March 24 Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45am EDT

A prominent Russian politician has proposed dividing Ukraine along the lines of an infamous Nazi-Soviet pact and suggested that regions in Western Ukraine hold referendums on breaking away from Kiev.

In a letter sent to the governments of Poland, Romania and Hungary, Vladimir Zhirinovsky also suggested those countries hold referendums on incorporating the regions into their territory.

Map as drawn by Polish tv:
http://www.tvp.info/14506221/duma-do-polskiego-msz-podzielmy-ukraine

About thos Saxons :(
General Sir Richard Dannatt condemns armoured vehicle transfer to Ukraine

He told The Telegraph: “I took these out of service by the UK Army in 2005/6 as completely unsuitable for current operations, so I find it incredible that they are being sold/gifted to Ukraine. I am incensed by the thought we are supplying, even via a 3rd party, SAXON APCs to the hapless Ukrainians.
“They are quite useless, semi-armoured lorries that should be nowhere near anyone’s front line."

He said that it was "nothing short of immoral” to present the transfer of the vehicles as a "good news story" for the Ukrainians.
Gen Sir Richard added:"My concern is the inadequate nature of these vehicles which I ordered out of British Army front line service when I was Commander in Chief Land Command 2005-2006. They were withdrawn from Iraq and never deployed in southern Afghanistan.
"To suggest that the UK is making a significant gesture of support by supplying vehicles which we took out of service ten years ago, because we deemed them unsafe, seems bizarre at best and downright dangerous at worst."
The Ukranian authorities have made it clear they fully intend to use the vehicles in their struggle against the separatists.

and

A MoD spokeswoman said the sale had been organised for some time through the Disposal Services authority, which deals with obsolete military equipment.

She said: “As the foreign secretary has made clear, our policy since the beginning of the crisis has been to supply non-lethal assistance to the Ukrainian Armed Forces. There has been no change to this and we have not provided lethal assistance.

“These vehicles were provided unarmed under a commercial contract, dating to 2013, by a private company. They offer protective mobility to personnel, and are defensive in nature; they are not close combat vehicles.”

MOSCOW, March 24 Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45am EDT

A prominent Russian politician has proposed dividing Ukraine along the lines of an infamous Nazi-Soviet pact and suggested that regions in Western Ukraine hold referendums on breaking away from Kiev.

In a letter sent to the governments of Poland, Romania and Hungary, Vladimir Zhirinovsky also suggested those countries hold referendums on incorporating the regions into their territory.

I would rather say that Zhirinovsky is more infamous than prominent.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Yeah, Saxons were basically designed as troop transportation in low conflict zones IIRC. The first thing I thought when I saw those pictures is that they were bought for the police.

Looking at its specs, they are not meant to defeat anything above 7.62 caliber ammunition. I hope they are not sent towards the frontlines, because otherwise they are going to be minced by anything bigger than a common AK.

Yeah, Saxons were basically designed as troop transportation in low conflict zones IIRC. The first thing I thought when I saw those pictures is that they were bought for the police.

Looking at its specs, they are not meant to defeat anything above 7.62 caliber ammunition. I hope they are not sent towards the frontlines, because otherwise they are going to be minced by anything bigger than a common AK.

Actually, they were designed to transport infantry to the frontlines (a "battle taxi") in Germany in the event of the shit hitting the fan during the Cold War. So while not designed to go into combat, I suppose it would offer more protection than a truck or an unarmoured Land Rover/Jeep.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Actually, they were designed to transport infantry to the frontlines (a "battle taxi") in Germany in the event of the shit hitting the fan during the Cold War. So while not designed to go into combat, I suppose it would offer more protection than a truck or an unarmoured Land Rover/Jeep.

Yeah, I mean, if you want to move troops in place where big caliber rounds are raning down on the reg, you probably want something heftier than that. Thus the low conflict mention (I could have probably worded that better).

Oriel

WCBfXGj.png

Ironic stuff coming from people who call others fascists and Nazis.

zer0das

Banned
The best part is that dude expects Poland to go along with it even with Poland's long history of getting screwed by Russia.

Outcome

Banned
Shows what you know about behaving appropriately. She was out of line and he handled it perfectly. that was not the time or place for such outbursts.

Do you see on this video the bodyguard be pushing her across the restriction line? I do not see that. I see him shutting her mouth up. Again. If it would had been Ukrainian journalist and Putin's bodyguard then you would be speaking about violation of freedom of speech and democracy.

Outcome

Banned
I didn't remember that I read about it in this thread. I'd like to ask you, guys. What is your opinion of the russian journalists who get killed in Dobass? There were so far 4 russian journalists killed plus one Italian. Do you think that they were also "out of line" and Ukraine forces acted as they should to act, killing these five journalists?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I didn't remember that I read about it in this thread. I'd like to ask you, guys. What is your opinion of the russian journalists who get killed in Dobass? There were so far 4 russian journalists killed plus one Italian. Do you think that they were also "out of line" and Ukraine forces acted as they should to act, killing these five journalists?

The killing of journalists should always be investigated and punished accordingly.

But this particular question coming from a Putin defender comes as kind of gross.

ICKE

Banned

It is clear that people who are fighting against the separatists have also committed crimes against humanity. There are many stories of innocents being killed on both sides, this is what always happens in brutal civil wars.

But we should also not use these incidents as excuses for other acts of aggression.

that is a nice way to stop someone from getting to close to a protected asset

What the hell are you talking about? Every single person in this room was probably checked several times for weapons, and I'm pretty sure they also did a background check on them. How can a person of her size be of any danger to any of those guys there? What a shitty excuse.

Shows what you know about behaving appropriately. She was out of line and he handled it perfectly. that was not the time or place for such outbursts.

He "handled it perfectly"? That's pretty disgusting. He brutally forced her to shut up. You can see the shock on her face when he walked away. And if she really was a threat, why wasn't she detained?

But it's nice to see how some people here really think about democratic values. An occurrence like this would be unthinkable in Germany.

Kabouter

Gemüsepizza;152274830 said:
What the hell are you talking about? Every single person in this room was probably checked several times for weapons, and I'm pretty sure they also did a background check on them. How can a person of her size be of any danger to any of those guys there? What a shitty excuse.

He "handled it perfectly"? That's pretty disgusting. He brutally forced her to shut up. You can see the shock on her face when he walked away.

But it's nice to see how some people here really think about democratic values. An occurrence like this would be unthinkable in Germany.

Yup agreed, that should just not happen with journalists.

chadskin

Fighting seems to escalate more and more again. Here's some footage from the Azov battalion said to be in the east of Mariupol earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTT1JBxbim8
Doesn't look like ceasefire to me, and it's not even in/around Debaltseve.

Some statements from the past few hours:

fpleitgenCNN: #Ukraine military spox says 129 infringements of ceasefire so far. Will not pull heavy weapons until fighting stops.
https://twitter.com/fpleitgencnn/status/567287515707867138
Ukrainian army spokesman: 5 Ukrainian forces killed, 22 hurt in clashes with pro-Russian separatists after ceasefire - @cnnbrk
http://www.breakingnews.com/item/2015/02/16/ukrainian-army-spokesman-5-ukrainian-forces-kille-2
MarQs__: #Ukraine MoD: At 12:00 local time, terrorists fired heavy weapons again in #Donetsk, they prepare a press con to blame Ukrainian side.
https://twitter.com/marqs__/status/567282986614525952
Ukraine rebels say no arms pull-back until 'full ceasefire' - @AFP
http://www.breakingnews.com/item/2015/02/16/ukraine-rebels-say-no-arms-pull-back-until-full-c/
German government spokesman says fighting around Debaltseve in Ukraine continues to be source of concern - @Reuters
http://www.breakingnews.com/item/2015/02/16/german-government-spokesman-says-fighting-around-d/

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Yeah. Surely. I wander what you'd had said if that had been Ukrainian journalist getting shut up by a Putin's bodyguard.

It wasn't one of Poroshenko's bodyguards, you can see he remains in the building after Poroshenko's entourage has left.

He was one of the security detail for the venue / Minsk.

Jackpot

Banned
Caught on camera: in Minsk the bodyguard of the Ukraine President Mr. Poroshenko squeezed Russian female journalist ("channel 24") shutting her mouth so she could not speak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi19yfgBN0w

I wish she kicked him in his balls hard.

Should not happen, but where were you when Separatists held a female journalist hostage?

http://time.com/69910/ukraine-separatists-take-prisoners/

Or when the Russian deputy speaker ordered his aides to "violently rape" a pregnant journalist after she asked him a question about Ukraine?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...iolently-rape-pregnant-journalist-on-live-tv/

News appeared on the russian propaganda web-site. Very strange.

hur hur hur, wonder if there's a hidden meaning to your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom