• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ukrainian Conflict - Donetsk Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I predicted this days ago in the other thread. Russia would use protecting "Russian citizens" bullshit to move in and take the area. They did the same thing in Georgia flooding S. Ossetia with Russian Passports for a pretext to invasion.

Obama is spineless so he would never take a stand so Putin just laughs as he moves in

If not intervention, I hope the rest of the world wakes up to this and takes strong diplomatic measures in response.

Oh, so this is how World War III starts. I admit I was not predicting this would be how, but then again WWI started with a guy getting shot in Sarajevo.

ICKE

Banned
The interim government in Ukraine has done the right thing so far though. These provocations from the Russian side are dangerous in the sense that any action from Ukraine would probably mean full military intervention in Crimea and at that point full sovereignty goes out the window - completely different to simple air space violations, crazy militias and what not.

Ovek

7Member7
Same reason why China is starting to do shit and nothing is done either.

Shits gonna go down hard when China finally gets around to claiming the Senkaku Islands, the surrounding territorial waters and air space. And by shit going down I of course mean the nothing at all.

antonz

If not intervention, I hope the rest of the world wakes up to this and takes strong diplomatic measures in response.

Sadly the 7 Pipelines that connect Russia to Europe that run through the Ukraine probably means Europe won't be willing to say much. Russia has Europe by the throat with those pipelines.

One of the reasons why it was so important for America to make a strong stand because there isn't a we will just kill the pipelines option.

This situation has the long term effect of perhaps showing China what they can expect if they decide to take senkaku by force etc. Sets dangerous precedents

BFIB

With CNN's incredible journalism, I can't wait to read the "breaking news" with their interview with Mila Kunis.

Madness

Don't expect much, not when Russia provides nearly 40% of all the natural gas and oil imports into the European Union, and through Ukraine. Russia isn't part of the WTO, and imposing other kinds of restrictions such as travel on politicians, finance and banking sector restrictions, will probably be met with higher prices for oil and gas. Obviously there could be economic repercussions, but at the end of the day, Germany, France, Italy care about their country and economy rather than Ukraine or the Crimea. Will be interesting to see how it plays out and you know China, India and others are watching to see what happens.

Wow. It would have been better to not even issue a statement. Whoever his foreign policy advisers are, he should fire them.

Obama shouldn't even make a public statement on the matter, if he wants to sabre rattle at the Russians he can do it over diplomatic channels. That way when he doesn't back up his statements/promises like last time he won't look like a fool in the eyes of the world.

It's amazing how many people seem to be under the impression that Obama's statement is aimed at Russia. Public statements issued by American presidents on American media are aimed at American citizens.

This statement was intended as a first act of agenda setting - making Americans aware of the situation (since I imagine most aren't) and prepping the public to expect further actions.

It sucks for the Ukrainians, but a spartition of the russophile regions would probably be the more sensible solution to this mess.

It's amazing how many people seem to be under the impression that Obama's statement is aimed at Russia. Public statements issued by American presidents on American media are aimed at American citizens.

This statement was intended as a first act of agenda setting - making Americans aware of the situation (since I imagine most aren't) and prepping the public to expect further actions.

People on here are hilarious. They rail on the guy for daring to do something in Syria now they call him a pussy because he's not acting against Putin.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael

Quiet! Obama is spineless!

Ovek

7Member7
Does matter if a place declared independence if it's not recognize. So, Georgia has every right to reclaim it.

And there are ways of dong that, the Georgia government however decided the best way of doing that was to start shelling towns full of civilians... Sooo yeah...

Purkake4

Banned
Don't expect much, not when Russia provides nearly 40% of all the natural gas and oil imports into the European Union, and through Ukraine. Russia isn't part of the WTO, and imposing other kinds of restrictions such as travel on politicians, finance and banking sector restrictions, will probably be met with higher prices for oil and gas. Obviously there could be economic repercussions, but at the end of the day, Germany, France, Italy care about their country and economy rather than Ukraine or the Crimea. Will be interesting to see how it plays out and you know China, India and others are watching to see what happens.
Russia joined WTO in 2012, not that it's relevant in this case.

antonz

Prior President's have had no issue having a bit of fire in their speech even when it was directed at Americans. Fire is good in these situations. Though I don't think anyone would believe it from Obama.

People on here are hilarious. They rail on the guy for daring to do something in Syria now they call him a pussy because he's not acting against Putin.

For the record, I think we should have intervened in Syria as well. And Rwanda in the 90s (one of the most shameful acts of non-intervention in U.S. history).

Prior President's have had no issue having a bit of fire in their speech even when it was directed at Americans. Fire is good in these situations. Though I don't think anyone would believe it from Obama.

You have been playing both sides for years now. Every thread like this you're either saying he's doing too much then you say he does too little the next thread.

Probably more because he prevented a US-led invasion of bombing of Syria when they tried to use that chemical weapons redline as justification for entry into the conflict.

While I'm happy everything turned out the way it did, Russia had plenty of ulterior motives that had nothing to do with peace and everything to do with natural gas and oil.

antonz

You have been playing both sides for years now. Every thread like this you're either saying he's doing too much then you say he does too little the next thread.

You are right. I opposed his actions with Syria. the US was arming and aiding Militant Jihadists. That is not something that would ever benefit America. We armed militant Jihadists in the 80s and that worked out real well for us.

What exactly do you want the US to do, start a war with Russia over Crimea? Putin knows what he is doing, he knows the US is unwilling to start World War III and the EU is spineless so he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Economic sanctions against Russia, full support of the EU and NATO in what they decide to do, offer to help alleviate any fuel shortages should Putin try that crap, that sort of thing. Not start a war.

Edit: Strip Russia of MFN status.

Whatever you may think, Putin is not stupid. He's perfectly aware that escalation is in nobody's interest.

Oh I know Putin is not stupid. In fact quite the opposite, what he is doing here is very clever. He is escalating in a way that cannot be easily responded to without provoking a war. He is very good at this, having practiced on Chechnya and Abkhazia/South Ossetia before starting here.

Forsete

Whats with all this spineless talk? I thought people wanted "western imperialism" to stop.

Someone else can grab the helm.

Whats with all this spineless talk? I thought people wanted "western" imperialism to stop.

Someone else can grab the helm.

Predicting what guys like antonz want is like trying to predict the lottery. It's literally double talk when it comes to what Obama does and does not do.

Linkyn

Oh I know Putin is not stupid. In fact quite the opposite, what he is doing here is very clever. He is escalating in a way that cannot be easily responded to without provoking a war. He is very good at this, having practiced on Chechnya and Abkhazia/South Ossetia before starting here.

This is all just screaming Czechoslovakia.

So far Ukraine has been totally restrained to what Russia has done today in Crimea.

But if this is true then that restraint could be tested to breaking point in the coming hours.

Kristina Dei ‏@2kdei

#Ukraine defense ministry says he has info "radical forces" plan to enter military bases in #Crimea starting at 2 am local time

If this happens, and Ukrainian forces fight back then this could well be used as a pretext for the Russian forces now deployed inside Crimea to engage the Ukrainain forces there.

If will be difficult, but the smartest thing to do would be for the Ukrainian forces in Crimea to surrender. Any resistance will be spun as aggression justifying whatever Russia does for long enough to achive whatever goals they have.

The interim government in Ukraine has done the right thing so far though. These provocations from the Russian side are dangerous in the sense that any action from Ukraine would probably mean full military intervention in Crimea and at that point full sovereignty goes out the window - completely different to simple air space violations, crazy militias and what not.

I don't think I would call them provocations, they literally deployed military formations to seize airports in Ukrainian territory. Of course this is a play straight out of the memoirs of Adolf, do all sorts of ridiculous and unacceptable things, then if anybody else dare responds to it, say that the war is their fault, and they started it.

leroidys

Not really similar to Georgia situation at all IMO. There was a preexisting territorial dispute there. This is more like Kuwait.

ICKE

Banned
Just in case anyone is wondering :

The Russian army has been entirely restructured after the conflict in Georgia. They now have the brigade as the key unit. There has been a reduction in the number of officers, they have phased out conscription and moved towards a more professional model.

As far as material reforms go, there is the ongoing SAP (state armaments programme), budget is around 23-25 trillion roubles which is close to 800 billion dollars.

All the war games during last autumn such as Zapad-2013 which included a simulated bombing on Lithuania, Poland and Sweden, are just a manifestation of the modernization and growing strength of the Russian army. The difference to USA is that there are less checks and balances...and quite a lot of politicians and generals who want to restore the old way of handling things.

antonz

Predicting what guys like antonz want is like trying to predict the lottery. It's literally double talk when it comes to what Obama does and does not do.
You are welcome to keep jumping on me as if I have not made my position clear but I think anyone can see the difference between arming jihadists in a civil war where the majority support the leader and Russia invading another nation

TheJLC

WW3, let's go! LEEERROOOYYY!!!

In all seriousness, it's concerning. But I doubt the US will do anything. It was pretty much as slap on the face to Obama to deploy more forces as Obama was 'warning' Russia about intervening militarily.

knitoe

Ukrainian should not bother trying to fight Russia forces. They are just going to lose and give Russia an excuse so they can horde territory. Their best option is to cry like a baby, and hope, economic sanctions can sway Russia long term. But, given the EU depends on so much of Russian energy, I can't imagine the sanctions remotely tough enough. And, good luck with any UN resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom