• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Can my child’s PS3 sub-account be changed to a master account on PS4 once they are past the age of 18?

Unfortunately, no. In this case, we would advise creating a new master account. We apologize for the inconvenience.
LOL! That's ridiculous!

Goldrusher

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No.
Does it even have media features?

Basically sounds like no media function other than bluray/dvd playback.

You can see that from no USB HD support, no DLNA, no visualizer, no MP3 playback. Pretty backwards from PS3 and lame. Cements my decision to not go next gen until further down in the future even more yay.

M77zqBK.png

OK this is bullshit.

That's actually very well known and they talked about it a while ago. You can subscribe to Music Unlimited if you want to play custom tracks. Sucks, yes.....but not something we are just learning about.

Majine

Banned
Can users switch the light bar off and on?
No. The light bar also serves as an indication of whether the DUALSHOCK 4 controller is turned on. Across different games, the color and brightness of the light bar on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller can be adjusted by game developers, but it cannot be completely switched off.

What the fuck.

wut

Are users able to record, distribute or stream any gameplay video?
No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

Fuck. I was really hoping there wouldn't be the option to place restrictions.

For reference, the Vita's Screenshot function works the same way, and some games, like U. Marvel vs Capcom 3, disallow using it at all for literally no reason. So we could potentially see this again on PS4 with video recording.

Alright, this is a little depressing. I'm all in favor of games BEFORE media, but not a complete lack of media options. No MP3? What?

dorkimoe

Why is it so hard to allow changeable usernames?

maybe so you cant go around annoying people? and constantly changing names to maybe scam someone? i dunno.

The worst thing steam ever did was allow constant user name changes, the best thing they ever did was add the option to add alias's to someone.

I'm glad i didnt think it was cool to make my name xXxXsnipadorkimoeXXX420.

cant play mp3's? lol wat?

No. The light bar also serves as an indication of whether the DUALSHOCK 4 controller is turned on. Across different games, the color and brightness of the light bar on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller can be adjusted by game developers, but it cannot be completely switched off.

What the fuck.

This has already been known for months.

mitchman

Gold Member
PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

This is contrary to other information given by people that has actually opened the console and I believe this might have been changed. 12.5mm has been given and is needed for larger harddrives such as with some 1.5TB drives.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/12479-playstation-4-hdd-specs-revealed-hgst-25-5400-rpm-and-more.html

In addition to this, ComputerBil also revealed that Playstation 4 HDD supports 2.5" drives up to 12.5mm height.

Jack_AG

Banned
"PS4 can output 5.1 or 7.1 audio via DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)."

This is curious... I wonder if that means ONLY 5.1 or 7.1

I use an optical converter to output audio from my PS3 to my PC line-in but it only accepts 2.1 PCM. I do this when I'm not using my headphones and when not playing surround-sensitive games. I wonder if we will be able to change the settings to 2.1 like the PS3.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well this is a bit disappointing.

Some things that I found important
- Absolute nope to external storage
- Accounting works the same as on PS3, i.e. nobody's going to care I'm using a bunch of accounts from different regions
- DLNA is out and you need an MU subscription to play music as you play games. Guess they really don't want us using our own content. This is bad.
- Killzone SF will use DS4's speaker to play back audio diaries. This wasn't fun when Wii did it, please don't do that.

If I’m not a PlayStation Plus member but I log into a PS4 system owned by a PS Plus member, will I be able to play online multiplayer?

Yes. If you don’t have a PS Plus membership, you can still access online multiplayer modes if you log into a PS4 which is set as “Primary” by a PS Plus member. This means that, for example, if one housemate is a PlayStation Plus member, everyone in the household will have access to online multiplayer. Additionally, on the same PS4 system, any games or content purchased by one user are available to other users who play on that console (unless that content has expired).

Has this been known!? Only one account needs PS Plus to unlock online multiplayer for the system.

Does anyone know if i can make a new PSN account with the same email address as current one? If i provide all the info?

I obviously want to change my PSN ID for this gen as i am willing to lose everything i bought on PSN during PS3. (Which isn't much)

Krakn3Dfx

This FAQ may have the unintended consequence of making me switch launch consoles if the XB1 still has DLNA and MP3 support. I say that after almost a year of being super fuckin' hyped about the PS4. Seriously, we use that functionality all the damned time on the PS3. Admittedly, it'll still be there and I'm keeping my PS3, but still, jesus fucking christ.

Lime

Will any PlayStation Store content purchased on PS3 or PS Vita systems be transferable to a PS4 system?

In some cases, yes. For example, a selection of popular digital titles including Flower, flOw, Escape Plan and Sound Shapes will be available to purchase on PS4 after launch. Gamers who purchased these titles for the PS3 or PS Vita systems will be able to download the PS4 versions of these titles, some of which feature enhanced graphics or improved features, to their PS4 systems for no additional charge.

Nice!

FUCK

maybe so you cant go around annoying people? and constantly changing names to maybe scam someone? i dunno.

The worst thing steam ever did was allow constant user name changes, the best thing they ever did was add the option to add alias's to someone.

I'm glad i didnt think it was cool to make my name xXxXsnipadorkimoeXXX420.

cant play mp3's? lol wat?
I'd gladly pay a little fee to do it like on XBL.

FDC1

No MP3 is weird, I know they want to push Music Unlimited but come on...

Well, at least, they don't try to hide it, it's cool from them to post a clear FAQ like that before day 1

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Does anyone know if i can make a new PSN account with the same email address as current one? If i provide all the info?

I obviously want to change my PSN ID for this gen as i am willing to lose everything i bought on PSN during PS3. (Which isn't much)

No, just register another mail account.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Will I be able to play background music while I play PS4 games?

Yes, the Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games. A subscription to Music Unlimited is required. Get full details here.
Does PS4 include a music visualizer feature?

No.
Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No.

Fucking shit.

edit:eek:h I see I'm a bit late on this lol

Lesiroth

No sub to master accounts and no renaming. Seems PSN is still lacking in some aspects.

The OS also seems to be missing lots of media functionality, but I guess a few updates down the line will sort this out.

How basic was the PS3 OS in comparison at launch?

bob page

You can change your profile name on steam and that's what is important. So what that you have to pay, you at least can change it.

My Steam username doesn't show up half the time when people search for me, so I tell them to use my account login, which is unfortunately an email for ages ago that no longer exists.

Cade

I'm still excited about the 15th and PS4 and all but there are some super questionable decisions in there. Hope they iron these things out quickly post-launch.

Top Bottom