• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

Still no official confirmation if the SATA interface is II or III (leaks suggested II). No confirmation of TRIM support, though the freeBSD version they're based on supports it. Finally, no mention of BDXL being supported or if that's possible through a firmware update. I bet developers would like to be able to grow to 100/128GB instead of doing multiple-discs.

Raist

Banned
No DLNA? MP3s?
I personally don't care, but that's quite shit.

wut

Are users able to record, distribute or stream any gameplay video?
No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

Cerny (I think) mentioned that ages ago.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
No external HDD, music visualizers, MP3's, or DLNA... ummmm what the actual fuck Sony? This is a problem and they don't hint at coming functionality either... GRRRRRR...

How do we go backwards on features. The lack of media support is crazy and even if they don't want people using their own stuff why aren't there other options like background Spotify or Rdio apps.

Mrcapcom

No DLNA? Aww man no PLEX maybe they can make a actual real app now and maybe that will work oh well not like you can't add it later I suppose

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It says that online passes for 3rd-party titles is at publisher's discretion, but Rhode had previously said Sony weren't going to allow them on PS4, thanks to including multiplayer in PS+.

So what gives?

He said that they ultimately couldn't stop a publisher using an online pass for online functionality, but that they were putting a stake in the ground as a first party publisher in the expectation that pubs would follow them.

AAK

Can I disable the wireless on my DS4? Seriously why don't they allow this?? I know when MLG was running Tekken 6 and TTT2 Sony made special PS3's where they couldn't be turned on or synced with a home button only a cable. This would make running tournaments MUCH easier.

Cassius

M77zqBK.png

OK this is bullshit. I love you sony but this is bullshit. Inexcusable.

What the actual fuck.

The PS1 can play music.

No sub to master accounts and no renaming. Seems PSN is still lacking in some aspects.

The OS also seems to be missing lots of media functionality, but I guess a few updates down the line will sort this out.

How basic was the PS3 OS in comparison at launch?

The big ones:

- No in-game XMB, so whenever someone sent you a message you had to exit out of whatever you were doing.
- The store was a web page.

TheFatOne

I was in for day 1, but I'm just going to wait it out now. The only game I really want is Killzone and I can wait to get it cheaper later on. Some of this stuff is straight up bullshit. The no external HDD is garbage. How the fuck does a modern console not have that ability?

It says that online passes for 3rd-party titles is at publisher's discretion, but Rhode had previously said Sony weren't going to allow them on PS4, thanks to including multiplayer in PS+.

So what gives?

No it was clarified a while ago that no first party titles will have online passes and they hope they "example" they set will encourage third parties not to do it.

androvsky

No wonder the Xbox One is being hailed as the superior all-in-one media playback console.
Sony stripped all of the media out of their system.
No MP3s. No media streaming from a connected network. I'm surprised they're still allowing Netflix.

Everything's getting stripped out so they can force people to use subscription services rather than media files which may or may not have been acquired legitimately (even CDs could be burned). It's the only explanation... and it's still bullshit.

UberTag

So what gives?
They lied. The online pass amnesty was temporary because everyone thought Microsoft and the big 3 third-party publishers were going to strong arm always online and no used games. That didn't happen so online/content exclusion passes will soon come back in full force.

But at least Sony won't charge us for them. So there's that. How nice of them.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
No wonder the Xbox One is being hailed as the superior all-in-one media playback console.
Sony stripped all of the media out of their system.
No MP3s. No media streaming from a connected network. I'm surprised they're still allowing Netflix.

Can the Xbox One play MP3s? Can it do background music?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
While folks may not be happy with 100% of the answers, it's awesome for Sony to put out such a detailed FAQ.

Microsoft your turn.

Microsoft's will be similar, just with superior media capabilities and instead of "No." the go-to negative answer will be "We may have another product for you: <link to xbox 360>."

Still no official confirmation if the SATA interface is II or III (leaks suggested II). No confirmation of TRIM support, though the freeBSD version they're based on supports it. Finally, no mention of BDXL being supported or if that's possible through a firmware update. I bet developers would like to be able to grow to 100/128GB instead of doing multiple-discs.

It says it right in the FAQ.

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?

PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

NyMartin

Banned
So if there's no external HDD support or DLNA support then theres no way of transferring my videos or multimedia/ MKVs.

Dammit Sony I liked the PS3 as a media box too, I know your stressing the whole Gaming system but we want to keep features we had. smh

Liamario

Banned
Will I be able to play background music while I play PS4 games?
Yes, the Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games. A subscription to Music Unlimited is required. Get full details here.
Does PS4 include a music visualizer feature?
No.
Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?
No.

This is complete bullshit, as well as not allowing media streaming in 2013!!!

gtj1092

Why didn't they just build off the media functionality of the Ps3. The Ps3 was my media center for a few years and worked great.

This is kind of iffy hopefully they fix these issues by the time I get one. No mp3s really thats laughable considering I could rip cds on my Ps3.

The big ones:

- No in-game XMB, so whenever someone sent you a message you had to exit out of whatever you were doing.
- The store was a web page.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan I forgot about that.

But yeah, PS3 was way worse than PS4 is at launch, even with some of these disappointments.

If I rent a game disc, and then decide I want to buy it digitally, can I use the mandatory install to avoid downloading it and just activate my license?

No, in this example you would have to delete the disc install data and fully install the digital version of the game.

Does this imply that the cache doesn't automatically delete itself? Hope so.

I know I ordered a game console and while it's not a dealbreaker/pre-order cancelling point, but the lack of DLNA or MP3 support is baffling. I hope that this is planned support down the line.

The Edge article wasn't lying: at launch, it seems like the Xbone is best suited for multimedia. Would never buy one for that reason, though.

eznark

Banned
Why the fuck would you only be able to upload videos to Facebook? That kills one of the coolest features for me.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Basically sounds like no media function other than bluray/dvd playback.

You can see that from no USB HD support, no DLNA, no visualizer, no MP3 playback. Pretty backwards from PS3 and lame. Cements my decision to not go next gen until further down in the future even more yay.

Firmware: 1.51,52,53...

Krakn3Dfx

No DLNA????? I was just wondering about this today and hoping they wouldn't mess it up. AARRGHHHHH!

I've been living under the assumption that DLNA would be a no brainer seeing that the PS3 and 360 both had it previous.

Un-fucking-believable is the only way I can describe this.

panty

I can understand this being a big thing for some and seriously can't understand why won't they allow it
Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

But how many of you play mp3s on the PS3 on a regular basis? I mean yeah it was amazing at first and I used it when the PS3 was new but I haven't had any use since the launch basically.

Agreed, it's dumb they blocked it just so people would sub for the Music service.

TheFatOne

Why the fuck would you only be able to upload videos to Facebook? That kills one of the coolest features for me.

Seriously some stupid decisions by Sony right now. Some of this shit makes zero sense. Not going to be a beta tester for their bullshit. Will wait it out, and see if some of this shit is patched in.

Top Bottom