• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

Dragon

Banned
Why the fuck would you only be able to upload videos to Facebook? That kills one of the coolest features for me.

Sounds like it's just not ready. Which is fucking weird considering some PS3 games have it.

Can I share my game videos on YouTube?
No. At launch, PS4 users will be able to use the Share button on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller to upload gameplay videos to their Facebook account, or to stream live gameplay to Ustream or Twitch. PS4 owners can follow PlayStation.Blog and PlayStation.com for further news on other services to come after launch.

You can upload to YouTube as well.

Not at launch you can't.

epaturun

Cerny - doesn't listen to music or watched movies

I so wanted DNLA & .mp3 features - I don't listen to English music so what am I suppose to do?

#PS4MEDIASUPPORT !!!!!!!!!!!

madmackem

Has anyone fired a tweet to shu about this media stuff, i must admit its pretty shitty i mean i have other devices that do all this and i doubt id have used it at all but knowing i cant is pretty shitty.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What type of hard drive does PS4 use?
PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Interesting. So it is 9.5mm and minimum of 160GB.

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online?
PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.

I think I'll order one of these.

mattp

you know, theres a bunch of really weird stuff missing (mp3 playback, no dlna, etc) but i feel like it's safe to assume a bunch of this stuff will come in future updates

both ms and sony seem to REALLY be working down to the wire to meet these launches and im sure its a matter of "we need to just focus on this set of features or the OS will never be done for launch"

MP3 support needs a license which costs money. I guess it will probably support AAC and MP4 files. It's also not really hard to convert multiple MP3s to AAC files.

Why the fuck would you only be able to upload videos to Facebook? That kills one of the coolest features for me.

Facebook's re-enconding is far, far worse then even YouTube's, believe it or not. I love the idea of being able to record my gameplay and share all those crazy moments that no one's ever around to see, but I'm not uploading shit to Facebook.

Most of this is just stuff they kind of had to confirm but didn't really want to come out and say so most of it is negative.

Sony said:
Can users copy the recorded gameplay video from PS4 to other devices, such as PC?

PS4 users will not be able to directly copy recorded gameplay video files from PS4 to other devices, though they will be able to use the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s Share button to upload videos to Facebook for distribution. This function will be supported by a future software update.

That's neat I guess.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wow...all the media functionality that made my PS3 great have been stripped...wtf. Is this forever or just something not coming at launch 1.5?

I guess PS3 Media Server really is only going to be usuable for PS3. Da fuq.

Mondy

Banned
Wait....There aren't even any dynamic themes to purchase off the PSN?? We have to put up with that generic blue tile setup for the WHOLE gen??

shockedjim.gif

hexen

Neo Member
why is there no nfs:rivals in the third party launch lineup?

i thought the rumors of a delay got officially debunked.

e: oh, ok it'll be released a week after launch.

No DLNA support, what the hell?

That's the #1 feature I use my PS3 for. I would've expected it out of the box or in the Day 1 patch.

Hopefully it's patched in later.

So strange how Nintendo can be really far behind the competition in some areas but ahead in others. No proper service like Xbox Live or PSN, games tied to system etc. but the Wii U supports external drives.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Definitely want this function patched in but I will definitely also not be using music day 1. I would like to be able to do it sometime without Music Unlimited.

KAL2006

Banned
No MP3, No DLNA, No external HDD, an not turn off list bar. No sleep mode at launch. Only uploading videos on Facebook.

Sony better get their shit together when I get a PS4 sometime next year.

Steroyd

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Crackbone

As stated, the MP3 deal is likely licensing.

The lack of DLNA is baffling. I don't even use my console to stream, but seriously, that's a major misstep not having it at launch OR confirming it's coming at a not too distant future update.

Can users switch the light bar off and on?
No. The light bar also serves as an indication of whether the DUALSHOCK 4 controller is turned on. Across different games, the color and brightness of the light bar on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller can be adjusted by game developers, but it cannot be completely switched off.

What the fuck.

Can people stop being shocked about shit that has been known for months.

Disappointing about the media stuff. I'm guessing this is something that will come down the line, maybe a year from now they'll add some media features back.

Still kinda sucks.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The only surprise would be if they weren't following these same types of policies.
Yeah I mean I'm assuming we will see locked in support for specific media services. They have that xbox music service. They surely want users using it.

Valnen

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4.
Fix that, Sony. It's going to be a problem later on if you don't.

AndyD

aka andydumi
you know, theres a bunch of really weird stuff missing (mp3 playback, no dlna, etc) but i feel like it's safe to assume a bunch of this stuff will come in future updates

both ms and sony seem to REALLY be working down to the wire to meet these launches and im sure its a matter of "we need to just focus on this set of features or the OS will never be done for launch"

That's the way I am looking at it too for now. A lot of fine detail software bits are missing, but nothing critical and nothing that can't be added. Lots of stuff was added to PS3, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now, despite being slightly dissapointed in some of the things they mention, like DLNA and mp3 playback, both of which I used with PS3 quite a bit.

Glad to see they are focusing on games though as opposed to non game frills.

So wait, if I can't change my Online ID yet I could use a "Real Name" can't I just change my name into some else in my profile? Like in my case, change "CommandoSmiley" into just "Mr. Smiley."You know, like all the various Bruce Waynes and Peter Parkers on Youtube?

This would pretty much be how Nintendo handles friend codes now, the system recognizes the your identification but every person would see your nickname.

VanWinkle

No DNLA and no MP3 support. Oh man that makes me mad. I'm a little bit furious right now. Most everything else sounds good/understandable to great, but this...ugh. Why would they do something so LUDICROUS?!

About the PSN ID thing, that's wouldn't be a PS4 FEATURE, that's a PSN feature. It has nothing to do with PS4. Hopefully they'll change it at some point to allow PSN ID changes, but people shouldn't have expected that to be a part of PS4.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Really? Why would it be safe to assume that?

They chose to kill that stuff off because none of that makes them any money. Why let people use MP3s or videos that they aren't paying Sony for when you can try to force them to use Music Unlimited or buy videos from their store.

Would be seriously surprised if any of this stuff was fixed in the future. They aren't in here because of some technological reasons, they went away for money reasons.

Jack_AG

Banned
Video to Facebook only... no exporting to edit on PC... no CD playing... no MP3 goodness...

Well then... Fuck that noise, man. Fuck it.

Top Bottom