• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

Sp33Demon

None of this is heartbreaking to me since my gaming style and setups have progressed significantly to the point that I don't use or need some of these omissions but some of this is very "What the hell?"

I guess the first date with PS4 is over and we just found out she has kids and bad credit. Still sexy tho.

That's the point. You can make your real name any name. No one is asking you for ID. But your user id is your user id, and that can't be changed. Sounds a lot like Steam where your display name and your username are two different things.

Yes, there will more than one person whose real name will be the same thing, just like real life, but behind the scenes, they all will have unique user ids, just like on PS3.

That's what I thought. I'm just sitting here thinking if that's the case, then what's the hub-bub on not being able to change your online ID?

mattp

No dlna or external hard drive support is huge problem for me and I imagine for anybody else who digitizes their physical movie and tv collection. It's one of my most used features on the ps3 tbh.

to be fair, there's not really external hd support on the ps3 either
you couldnt use it to store games

Loudninja

Seems that stuff was not top priority.

I am sure it will come some were down the line,PS3 was missing a ton of stuff as well.

Not one mention of Gaikai any where. I would imagine they would mention it in streaming, backwards compatability, or during cloud references. They did define other features and specify they are not avaliable at launch...

Dragon

Banned
Well, at least they are honest... right?

I'll give them that, they're being transparent.

In the grand scheme of things, I have Plex, Boxee Box and Roku at my house. I can deal with this, but that doesn't mean it isn't absurdly shitty to roll out at launch without features that've been around for years on your previous console.

Some Nobody

"Waaah, we want a gaming system! Not a media system."

"Waaah, where are all the media features?"

Be patient you guys, I'm sure they'll come in future patches. Sony has stated multiple times that they're focusing on gaming so it makes sense to put media features off in order to achieve a timely launch.

C'mon dude don't do this. .mp3 support? .avi support? These things should've been the FIRST thing you made to work after making a gaming console. But I know for a fact (because its in the article) it supports Netflix and Music Unlimited, something you have to continually pay for rather than files you already own.

So they finally admit you can't change your PSN name.

The 360 has had this feature since 2005, and Sony just can't make it happen for 2013. Unbelievable.

Well this is a bit disappointing.

Some things that I found important
- Absolute nope to external storage
- Accounting works the same as on PS3, i.e. nobody's going to care I'm using a bunch of accounts from different regions
- DLNA is out and you need an MU subscription to play music as you play games. Guess they really don't want us using our own content. This is bad.
- Killzone SF will use DS4's speaker to play back audio diaries. This wasn't fun when Wii did it, please don't do that.

The lack of mp3 support is ridiculous. It's so backwards. At this point in our digital lives most have a personal collection of music.

iceatcs

What does DLNA do? I've never used it on PS3.

I think let the system reorganisation of your movie collection over stream. I hate it, but I think it is quite popular for people who can't be bother to organisation the file.

VanWinkle

"Waaah, we want a gaming system! Not a media system."

"Waaah, where are all the media features?"

Be patient you guys, I'm sure they'll come in future patches. Sony has stated multiple times that they're focusing on gaming so it makes sense to put media features off in order to achieve a timely launch.

Saying we want a gaming-focused console doesn't mean we don't want some of the "given" features that their 8 year old system had on day one.

_RT_

I don't really care about MP3 support. Seems like it should be in there by default... but I can't remember the last time I played an mp3 let alone on a console. Spotify, Pandora, Google All Play Pass ftw.

Absence of DLNA is baffling though and they better have an explanation for this. But now that I think about it.. i've used PS3 DLNA features less than 10 times in 5 years.. still it seems like it should be there by default.

Worst news out of the FAQ though is no external harddrives. That one will actually affect me.

I've never been one to pounce.... but if I hadn't smartened up and built an HTPC, I can say I I really would be cancelling my pre-order of the ps4. I was always using my ps3 for music and movies.

I'm really baffled by these choices.

flkraven

minimum 160gb drive eh? Does that confirm the size of the OS? If 50GB is required empty to play a game, does that mean 160GB-50GB = OS?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I asked, but from the lack of mp3's support, it's likely x264 hasn't even been considered.

It will have to support AVC because AVC is what Blu-ray uses, but if you can't even plug an external drive it's meaningless (updates off USB will have to be in recovery mode).

No DLNA support is the only thing that fucks with me, will have to keep my ps3 around for that for the foreseeable future now :/

Can someone explain what no DNLA means for me as a consumer? I don't quite understand it.

Means I can stream my 5TB+ collection of tv shows and movies from my NAS storage over the network without having to put them on an external drive and into the PS4, not that you can even do that now.

C'mon dude don't do this. .mp3 support? .avi support? These things should've been the FIRST thing you made to work after making a gaming console. But I know for a fact (because its in the article) it supports Netflix and Music Unlimited, something you have to continually pay for rather than files you already own.

I guess it's a difference of opinion for me since I don't see the appeal of using MP3s on a console. I've never understood the extreme demand for this, even if it does seem like a basic feature.

nictron

How much will I need to download before I can start playing with PlayAsYouDownload?
The portion of a game that must be downloaded before gameplay begins will vary title by title, as will the time that it takes to download that initial portion. Users will be able to see when they are able to start playing by an indicator on the download progress meter. Certain titles, such as Killzone: Shadow Fall, will enable you to pick which mode to start downloading first, such as single-player or multiplayer.

Yessssss

Derrick01

Banned
Both of these consoles really were not ready to launch this year. There's going to be so much stuff missing from PS4 on day 1 and while I don't really care about it that much since I'm all about the games, I feel for many of you.

grumble

That's what I thought. I'm just sitting here thinking if that's the case, then what's the hub-bub on not being able to change your online ID?

There are valid and important reasons for someone to want to change their online ID if it can be displayed publicly. For example if it's offensive or if it contains their real name and they want to remain anonymous.

For Sony to prevent users from accessing this feature (which I'm assuming is dead simple to implement unless they really screwed up) is foolish. charge them 9.99 to do it and you'd make a killing.

Lionheart

No DLNA support sucks! Hoping my Synology can be accessed from the browser if it's any good. One of the answers does confirm the browser at least. :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
so do we get free music unlimited if we subscribe to ps+? :p sigh...

Nope.

I bought a year long sub when it was like $1 a month for some sale they did last year. It's worth that but only because I have a Vita. Definitely not $5 a month or whatever the regular rate is.

Weird stuff, this kind of moves the PS4 out of the games box + media box sweet spot that the PS3 has occupied. Leaves a little more space for the SteamBox in that regard.

Top Bottom