• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

LTWheels

If I rent a game disc, and then decide I want to buy it digitally, can I use the mandatory install to avoid downloading it and just activate my license?

No, in this example you would have to delete the disc install data and fully install the digital version of the game.

That's a shame. I think for the Xbox they have said that this still can be done despite the changes they have made. Was hoping it would be the same for the PS4.

darkwing

No sub to master accounts and no renaming. Seems PSN is still lacking in some aspects.

The OS also seems to be missing lots of media functionality, but I guess a few updates down the line will sort this out.

How basic was the PS3 OS in comparison at launch?

it played MP3s

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Can PS4 users send voice messages to each other?
Yes, PS4 users will be able to record voice messages up to 15 seconds long and send them to friends for later listening.

Didn't realize this is a thing. Seems cool.

can't change your username

well I guess I got to stick it with my incorrect spelling, underscore ridden username

Edit: Still reading it... Sooo long *Scroll, Scroll, Scroll

Curufinwe

wut

Are users able to record, distribute or stream any gameplay video?
No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

That's been known for months.

Qassim

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

Haha. So bad.

UberTag

No wonder the Xbox One is being hailed as the superior all-in-one media playback console.
Sony stripped all of the media out of their system.
No MP3s. No media streaming from a connected network. I'm surprised they're still allowing Netflix.

Crackbone

The lack of media functionality is disappointing.

I'm not giving them a pass on that one, it's stupidity of the highest order.

I do however appreciate knowing everything up front. At least it's being transparent, i'll give them that.

Im building a gaming pc. The lack of personal media support is an absolute dealbreaker, especially as the console obviously supports it. Im not signing up to music shitty unlimited.

TwIsTeD

I wish they would clarify on the HDD speed required.....5400 rpm ugh

And honestly who the hell cares about MP3s on a Game Console...its almost 2014....buy a Chromecast or Apple TV if it really is a big deal

Can't believe you can't share to youtube. I mean that's just stupid.

I guess I could share somewhere else, download it it off of there and then put it on youtube. But still.

It says that online passes for 3rd-party titles is at publisher's discretion, but Rhode had previously said Sony weren't going to allow them on PS4, thanks to including multiplayer in PS+.

So what gives?

Baliis

A shame that they seem to be going pretty backwards in terms of multimedia capabilities. It doesn't affect me personally, but it will for a lot of people.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No DLNA, no MP3s and no external storage.

Welcome to next gen.

Sony you had to disappoint us.

Some of this is pretty shitty news honestly. I can't understand the rationale in removing features that were standard in the PS3. Hopefully there is some explanation coming

Dragon

Banned
Probably going to add that in later, took them like a year to add wallpapers to the ps3 :/

Doubtful. They most likely are stuffing their stupid Music Unlimited down our throats.

And that will be their excuse I bet. No account name changing and MP3 support is just terrible. Not a deal breaker but still just bad.

People whining about account name changing are pretty silly compared to all the rest of this shitty news.

GameSeeker

While folks may not be happy with 100% of the answers, it's awesome for Sony to put out such a detailed FAQ.

Microsoft your turn.

2San

My Steam username doesn't show up half the time when people search for me, so I tell them to use my account login, which is unfortunately an email for ages ago that no longer exists.
You should contact valve if you have that type of issue.

Top Bottom