• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

jwk94

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Reading through it right now. I'll update the OP when I find some important info. Don't want to post the whole thing.

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?
PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

When playing disc-based games on PS4, do I need to install data to the hard drive?
Yes, all PS4 Blu-ray Disc games must be cached to the hard drive to ensure a smooth gaming experience. However, certain titles may not require you to wait for the game data to be fully cached before starting gameplay. In order to start playing disc-based games, users will need to insert the game disc into PS4 just like on the PS3 system.

If I rent a game disc, and then decide I want to buy it digitally, can I use the mandatory install to avoid downloading it and just activate my license?
No, in this example you would have to delete the disc install data and fully install the digital version of the game.

Will I be able to watch Blu-ray movies on PS4?
Yes, you will need to download and install PS4’s day-one system software update 1.50, and then activate your Blu-ray Disc video capability with a one-time activation through the internet in order to play Blu-ray Disc films and DVD video content.

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online?
PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?
Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick. However, to use the USB method the first time you take PS4 out of the box and before installing system software update 1.50, you’ll need to enable safe mode. When PS4 is powered off, press and hold the Power Button for seven seconds to enter safe mode. Note: Users should only update using official files downloaded from PlayStation.com.

What PS4 software features have been announced, but won’t be available at launch in North America?
Below is an overview of certain features that have been announced that will not be available when PS4 launches in North America.
Share controller via the internet to assist a friend
Suspend/Resume mode
Wireless Stereo Headsets support
Wireless Stereo Headset
Pulse Wired Stereo Headset
Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite Edition

Is there a way to rename my Online ID on PS4?
No. But PS4 does give you the option of allowing your friends to see your real name in addition to your Online ID. You can also choose to import your Facebook photo to be used as your PSN profile picture if you wish.

Will PS4 support custom Dynamic Themes, as currently available on the PS3 system?
No, PS4 will not support Dynamic Themes as they currently exist on the PS3 system.

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

Can multiple users log into one PS4 system?
Yes, as on PS3, PS4 users can switch between multiple SEN accounts on one PS4 system.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is there a way to rename my Online ID on PS4?

No. But PS4 does give you the option of allowing your friends to see your real name in addition to your Online ID. You can also choose to import your Facebook photo to be used as your PSN profile picture if you wish.

Well that answers that. : /

Z3WYYT9.png

:(

Is it possible to output all game audio through DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s 3.5mm headset jack?

Yes, you can select the Output to Headsets option to either ‘Chat Audio’ or “All Audio.”
awwwww yissssss

Jonboy

So where do we set the "real name?" Couldn't you just use whatever you wanted? Or does it pull from Facebook like the photo?

MoeB

wut

Are users able to record, distribute or stream any gameplay video?
No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

So many questions... reading now.

Sata II?
No thicker than 9.5mm?

Seriously? Are you kidding?

EDIT: No DLNA? What the actual fuck Sony.

CSX

wut

No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

so in other words, anti spoilers on early copies lol?

sestrugen

wut

This is....odd

curb

Banned
Do I need to “reset” my video settings if I change TVs, as on PS3?
This process will not be necessary for PS4.

Oh thank goodness. I had to do that over the weekend. It took me forever to find my composite cable.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
wut

Thats just for the in game recording so people don't post spoiler or devs can turn it off for other reason. You can record with external devices.

PvkLExU.png

Can users copy the recorded gameplay video from PS4 to other devices, such as PC?

PS4 users will not be able to directly copy recorded gameplay video files from PS4 to other devices, though they will be able to use the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s Share button to upload videos to Facebook for distribution. This function will be supported by a future system update.

Noooo :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Will I be able to filter system and friend notifications in order to avoid being disturbed while playing a game or watching a movie?

Compared to PS3, you’ll have much more control over displayed notifications, including messages, friend requests, Trophies, download status and more.

YES

Sorral

Well that answers that. : /

I don't think doing what steam does (using a different name other than the actual account name) would be THAT hard...

I mean, they are allowing us to add our 'supposedly' real names. What stops anyone from using whatever they want in the first/last names' fields?

Wow, still can't change my sub-account into a master account. I am pretty fucking pissed off about that. Now I have to decide if I want to make a new account or keep maintaining a master account for the rest of the time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is....odd

Not really, pubs ultimately have the copyright on this stuff. We've known about this for a while.

Some other details on voice control:

After enabling the voice control mode, you will be able to control key PS4 functions using commands such as starting up a game or taking a screenshot. At launch in North America, six languages will be supported (English (US and UK), Spanish (European), Italian, French (European), German, Japanese), with more to come following future system software updates.

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?

Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick. However, to use the USB method the first time you take PS4 out of the box and before installing system software update 1.50, you’ll need to enable safe mode. When PS4 is powered off, press and hold the Power Button for seven seconds to enter safe mode. Note: Users should only update using official files downloaded from PlayStation.com.

hope this 1.5 patch is available before launch to dl.

Guymelef

When playing disc-based games on PS4, do I need to install data to the hard drive?

Yes, all PS4 Blu-ray Disc games must be cached to the hard drive to ensure a smooth gaming experience. However, certain titles may not require you to wait for the game data to be fully cached before starting gameplay. In order to start playing disc-based games, users will need to insert the game disc into PS4 just like on the PS3 system.

Umm...

zinder

Can PS4 and PS3 users play together online, cross-platform?

The functionality is technically possible and some developers may choose to support it for their titles.

I wonder if that has some potential..

StuBurns

Banned
This...
Can users switch the light bar off and on?

No. The light bar also serves as an indication of whether the DUALSHOCK 4 controller is turned on. Across different games, the color and brightness of the light bar on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller can be adjusted by game developers, but it cannot be completely switched off.
This is bad Sony, bad.

No MP3 playback? :/ Granted, I don't plan on playing my music on my TV or using background audio, but this just sounds like a really odd omission.

Can PS4 and PS3 users play together online, cross-platform?

The functionality is technically possible and some developers may choose to support it for their titles.

I wonder if that has some potential..

If they could do that, it could bolster some of the MP games early on in the gen....but the point is to try and convince people to move to next gen. If they can just buy the PS3 version and play with the PS4 people, they may wait a while.

whome0

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.
Thats a huge huge dissapointment for me, did not see this was coming.

Top Bottom