• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ULTRA 2017 Electronic Music Festival - 5 mins of your favorite band, 1h of DJ Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.
No streaming for Underworld?
tumblr_static_9g35lkut3xssoc84k8wgcsgko_640_v2.jpg

Aomber

Oh dear, it's time for some baguetta

Missed Zedd unfortunately, love his sets, will have to catch him when it goes up on YouTube

Anth0ny

He uses a Traktor S8. And lol, CDJs are ridiculous, there's no reason to use them unless you're a touring DJ

from what I've seen, it's the default setup at clubs everywhere. as a DJ in training I'd like to practice with the actual hardware I'd be using most of the time, but unfortunately it's completely out of the question :(

fuck it, I can get the job done with my $300 controller!

Aomber

from what I've seen, it's the default setup at clubs everywhere. as a DJ in training I'd like to practice with the actual hardware I'd be using most of the time, but unfortunately it's completely out of the question :(

fuck it, I can get the job done with my $300 controller!
Sure I get that, but at the end of the day CDJs aren't that much different from a controller. I'm sure you could pick up CDJs pretty easily if you have general DJing experience, it's really just a couple jogwheels and a mixer.

That being said I usually encourage people to add a little more than just that, or not use that kind of setup at all. There's so many possibilities for modularity, creating your own performance, and adding a little bit more interaction with the music, whether that's with stems, loops, pulling out a keyboard or whatever.

mau5 goes a bit "full joel" in this post but just another view on the subject:

http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/125290302799/here-is-what-i-dont-get

Dubfire's setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2byCiDOIO7w

Anth0ny

Sure I get that, but at the end of the day CDJs aren't that much different from a controller. I'm sure you could pick up CDJs pretty easily if you have general DJing experience, it's really just a couple jogwheels and a mixer.

That being said I usually encourage people to add a little more than just that, or not use that kind of setup at all. There's so many possibilities for modularity, creating your own performance, and adding a little bit more interaction with the music, whether that's with stems, loops, pulling out a keyboard or whatever.

mau5 goes a bit "full joel" in this post but just another view on the subject:

http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/125290302799/here-is-what-i-dont-get

Dubfire's setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2byCiDOIO7w

heh, I'm still definitely at the "make a little capital" part. but i've seen deadmau5 and disclosure live plenty of times and their performances are not lost on me :)

cj_iwakura

I'm not gonna watch Armin's site on stream, because I'll be pissed when they cut it during the climax. Sticking to the Resistance stage for the duration.

Oh who am I kidding, LET'S GO.

OH GODDAMMIT. DIAF, UMF.

Aomber

Again, I don't understand why we have Resistance on all day but can't have a couple of other stages do the same. Why not have separate streams, like e.g. one for Mainstage and one for ASOT, and just have them run all day? It makes no sense, they wouldn't have to cut armin or anything like that.

cj_iwakura

Again, I don't understand why we have Resistance on all day but can't have a couple of other stages do the same. Why not have separate streams, like e.g. one for Mainstage and one for ASOT, and just have them run all day? It makes no sense, they wouldn't have to cut armin or anything like that.

I guess they're experimenting with it. Or they simply don't want to give away the entire show via streams.

At least we got Resistance, though. It's been overall WAY better than main stage.

Now, Snake has an extremely lo-fi setup, laughing in the face of Zedd's setup. If it works it works, but I would have assumed that by now he'd have transitioned to something larger or with more features. Idunno. At least keep the suspension of disbelief that you're doing more. If you wanna MC then MC. If you wanna DJ then DJ. This is a watered-down version of both at the same time and it doesn't do much for me.

This is a daytime caliber performance. Someone else could have closed besides this jokester but because that one song Lean On and the other feat Bieber he's closing

Pretty much sums up the old issue, where promoters and shit like djmag top 100 decide who is big.

dj snake is what lady gaga is to popgaf

Aomber

Pretty much sums up the old issue, where promoters and shit like djmag top 100 decide who is big.

Sometimes yes, but that is definitely not why DJ Snake is headlining Ultra. There's no question he had some huge singles over the last 1-2 years, can't say I'm a big fan but he's the biggest DJ at Ultra right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom