• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Console Release Date Announced

Laconic

Banned
They had to release a copy of the game for Evolution this year because it's slated to be featured as a main game for the tournament, the largest for SF in the world. The retail release was their original date and the special upgrade version for the US is earlier so players have time to acclimate to the game before it happens.

Want proof? The Japanese retail and upgrade versions are slated for August just like the US retail version. Of course, the JP market has the Arcade version but they didn't want to eat into their arcade profits unless they had to. They have to do release the upgrade for the US earlier or they risk pissing a huge part of their core demographic off. It appears at Evo but no one but the Japanese has had time to practice it? That PR shit storm would be incredible.

Oh, the timing makes sense, considering... despite being all of a month and change window of prep time.

But if was simply a case of getting it out on time, one would think that the costumes would be there too.

It may seem a trifling thing, but parity would be nice.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can you get the costumes by pre-ordering the digital upgrade? Or is it only for retail

Laconic

Banned
That really, really sucks. I can't personally see myself buying it a third time on consoles again. Since this isn't a big upgrade in the first place.

It would be my fourth time purchasing it. As it will be for a lot of people. One would like to think that such might cause Capcom to feel obliged to court us with at least equal value propositions in the different formats.

Skilletor

Wait, so there IS an upgrade path for the PC version or no?

If yes, have they said what people with the GFWL version of the game will do to upgrade?

ArjanN

I think the upgrade path on PC will be a new game entirely anyway, except that you get a discount for owning the previous version. Seems like a given since they're using Steamworks for Ultra instead of GFWL.

Idk why I'm surprised at the amount of salty tears in this thread because if a belated PC release.

Well, 360/PS3 are kind of on the way out.

Wynnebeck

Banned
They had to release a copy of the game for Evolution this year because it's slated to be featured as a main game for the tournament, the largest for SF in the world. The retail release was their original date and the special upgrade version for the US is earlier so players have time to acclimate to the game before it happens.

Want proof? The Japanese retail and upgrade versions are slated for August just like the US retail version. Of course, the JP market has the Arcade version but they didn't want to eat into their arcade profits unless they had to. They have to do release the upgrade for the US earlier or they risk pissing a huge part of their core demographic off. It appears at Evo but no one but the Japanese has had time to practice it? That PR shit storm would be incredible.

Thanks babe.

Shouta

That really, really sucks. I can't personally see myself buying it a third time on consoles again. Since this isn't a big upgrade in the first place.

The game has 5 new chars (for Street Fighter IV), balance changes for the entire cast, and additional system changes as well. It's definitely a pretty significant upgrade. But if you've bought the base game a few times, I can understand the apprehension of getting it again.

nded

Five new (ish) characters, balance changes, new mechanics, online training and edition select sound like pretty big changes. $15 for all of that seems fairly reasonable to me.

Nyoro SF

Wait, so there IS an upgrade path for the PC version or no?

If yes, have they said what people with the GFWL version of the game will do to upgrade?

My opinion:

Capcom has no way to upgrade you if you have GFWL. GFWL is a standalone application, the only way to get an "update" for it is to send it through GFWL. GFWL will be dead before the upgrade launches on forums.

You must own the Steam version, they'll likely push an update that strips the GFWL... through the Steam network only.

Luckily the Steam version has been ludicrously cheap many times.

This is all conjecture of course.

pixlexic

Banned
My opinion:

Capcom has no way to upgrade you if you have GFWL. GFWL is a standalone application, the only way to get an "update" for it is to send it through GFWL. GFWL will be dead before the upgrade launches on forums.

You must own the Steam version, they'll likely push an update that strips the GFWL... through the Steam network only.

With batman they just gave you the new non gfwl version and you just deleted the old one.

Laconic

Banned
My opinion:

Didn't the GFWL version of Vanilla get tranferred to Steam, if you upgraded to Super? I have both on my Steam list now, but I had it on GFWL, and I do not recall being silly enough to repurchase Vanilla after Super came out.

vg260

My guess is they'e just going to add all the GFWL keys to Steam's database (like Batman), and that will that will let you redeem it for AE on your Steam account so you can upgrade, and just leave AE for dead instead of doing work on stripping GFWL on the existing version. They don't have much to lose by giving away a defunct AE for free, and it would be the easiest solution.

edit: this assumes Ultra will not use any of your existing AE files, and Ultra will be essentially a fresh new game. I think Steam can recognize an existing game on your account to discount a new purchase. Again, just speculation though

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm curious if you can upgrade the free copy of AE given away from PS+ to Ultra and still keep the game after your PS+ time period runs out. If so, I might consider picking it up. If not, I'll just skip this altogether.

Moofers

What about PS+ customers who downloaded AE a few months back? If we upgrade and then quit subbing to Plus, does our game go with it?

Nyoro SF

My guess is they'e just going to add all the GFWL keys to Steam's database (like Batman), and that will that will let you redeem it for AE on your Steam account so you can upgrade. They don't have much to lose by giving away a defunct AE for free, and it would be the easiest solution.

That would be pretty slick.

Now if only the PC release date didn't suck.

The Cowboy

I wonder how they're going to handle the non Steam versions of the game for upgrading?, I'm really wanting to know this.

vg260

I actually wonder about the PS+ situation. I tweeted the point community guys about it.

Wouldn't the PS3 Ultra update act just like purchased DLC, so if your Plus ends, you won't lose the Ultra upgrade but will still need the AE base game again?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Really wish that we were getting a portable version of this. Vita preferred, but I'd happily take 3DS too.

Fanboy-dream situation would be Ultra having cross-play online between PS3/PS4/Vita versions and 360/Xbone versions.

Time to get back into SF4. Gonna main Poison and play Rose as my secondary.
Rose all the way for me.

I started back up yesterday. Been using Rose -I blame JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for that- on and off when I would play sporadically over the past few months Definitely want to switch to someone new for Ultra (coming off of Chun) so will be looking to see how the roster additions end up compared to SFxTK.

spoonztt

Releasing 2 days before my first exam, wonderful.I wonder if the spectator mode bug on the PS3 digital version will be fixed.

Pretty much LOL

Guess I'm not getting it then, since no PS4 version and I'm not supporting a months late PC version that will have a piss poor online community anyway.

But you can have all those DOA style perv costumes

mqdefault.jpg

alstein

Pretty much LOL

Guess I'm not getting it then, since no PS4 version and I'm not supporting a months late PC version that will have a piss poor online community anyway.

Which is a way to ensure the PC comm stays piss poor.

First off, it's 2 months. That's the least of any fighting game ever on Steam outside of Divekick. Yeah, it's not where I want it to be, but it's progress.

Second, no GFWL should improve things, unless Steam gets throttled by your ISP (Steam will be one of the first targets after Netflix, convinced of this). Also, given this is probably the last major revision- I can see folks getting this down the road when Microsoft shuts off 360 support, which could happen sooner than expected.

Also, if you have it on Steam, it's $15.

Ermac

Wait, the PC version of SFIV/AE had piss poor online community? I was planning on getting it...

impact

Banned
Which is a way to ensure the PC comm stays piss poor.

First off, it's 2 months. That's the least of any fighting game ever on Steam outside of Divekick. Yeah, it's not where I want it to be, but it's progress.

Second, no GFWL should improve things, unless Steam gets throttled by your ISP (Steam will be one of the first targets after Netflix, convinced of this). Also, given this is probably the last major revision- I can see folks getting this down the road when Microsoft shuts off 360 support, which could happen sooner than expected.

Also, if you have it on Steam, it's $15.

Two months is huge for a fighting game. I refuse to support a company that consistently treats the platform like a red headed stepchild. It's not my job to make the PC SF4 scene better, it's Capcom's job and they're already doing their best to fuck it up.

Wait, the PC version of SFIV/AE had piss poor online community? I was planning on getting it...

Not very active and general skill level is lower than on consoles (my experiences with all fighting games on PC)

There's still good players don't get me wrong, but they're much rarer than if playing on either console.

Ermac

Two months is huge for a fighting game. I refuse to support a company that consistently treats the platform like a red headed stepchild. It's not my job to make the PC SF4 scene better, it's Capcom's job and they're already doing their best to fuck it up.

Not very active and general skill level is lower than on consoles (my experiences with all fighting games on PC)

There's still good players don't get me wrong, but they're much rarer than if playing on either console.

Damn, for some reason I thought there'd be less players with higher skills. Hmm, gotta decide between pervy mods and better community now.

Marz

Why is it every time there's a Capcom thread people come in and bitch and complain?

Don't people get tired of that? Shits annoying.

I for one didn't expect it this early I'm pumped

Laconic

Banned
Why is it every time there's a Capcom thread people come in and bitch and complain?

Don't people get tired of that? Shits annoying.

I for one didn't expect it this early I'm pumped

I believe the composition of your argument is somewhat jumbled.

No one is complaining about Capcom as a whole. They are complaining that Capcom as the publisher of USF4 has effectively screwed up in the way that they are releasing the USF4 content. There are legitimate complaints being aired in here.

alstein

Damn, for some reason I thought there'd be less players with higher skills. Hmm, gotta decide between pervy mods and better community now.

Unless you're a local champ or above level player- you won't have a hard time finding comp better than you.

The community is smaller, but I think Ultra the difference will be less, moreso over time.

To me, the one downside of PC is the macro cheaters- you see a few of those in ranked modes.

Top Bottom