• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 PS4 patch is live

Xenus

Given how quickly the bugs aside input lag are being fixed, it really looks like production already knew about these issues, and decided to go ahead and release anyway.

Can't fathom why would Sony rather go through this embarrassment instead of that of a delay.

Yeah makes no sense. Get it pulled from all the tournaments and a major black eye for 1 week earlier? If it just input lag the outcry would have still been their from the tournament players but notnearly as harsh

I hope they eventually whip this port into shape because it's a guaranteed PS+ title at some point and I want to feel pleased to get it when that happens.

Granak

Neo Member
I heard something of the sort relating to the fact that Other Ocean used a different engine of Ultra to make this port with? Heard it offhand on the Super Best Friendscast and I wasn't finding anything about it online.. maybe my Google searching skills have failed me.

Dartastic

Still would have gotten kicked from EVO and the same shit would have hit the fan. So no real difference. If this patch fixed input lag THEN i would have said they should have held it back.
Oh totally, it still wouldn't have made it EVO viable; but for someone who isn't GOING to EVO and just wants a reliable way to play a good version of USF4 on my PS4, this is much better.

Shin-Ra

Yes. They no longer produce jaggies.
Why aren't soft particles a standard rendering feature yet.

The 5 frames of input lag won't be easy to fix, especially since this is most likely the PS3 version ported over. Me personally, I don't notice it at all using a pad even online, but for the pro players, I can't see it being just ''patched'' like that. Changes they made are good though.
Why would they start with the worst looking, least compatible version?

The set icon and title menus are still leggy at least.
'Dat Chun Li?

Edzi

Gio sure did a crap job of keeping us updated like he said he would. I'd love an update on the input lag situation, but I doubt they're going to bother telling us anything until the next patch hits.

vg260

Yeah makes no sense. Get it pulled from all the tournaments and a major black eye for 1 week earlier? If it just input lag the outcry would have still been their from the tournament players but notnearly as harsh

Still crazy how they touted the reduced input lag. I want to know what exactly they based that on. Someone must have believed it, but was it based on something in development or just a massive assumption?

Gio sure did a crap job of keeping us updated like he said he would. I'd love an update on the input lag situation, but I doubt they're going to bother.

Sadly, I don't expect it either. I don't have much trust in that guy at this point.

Is game now really worth buying?

Much more worth it than it was before. Though unless you're on 360 or have a PC, you're better off there. Like before, this is still really only recommended for the people who don't have 360/PC or only have the PS3 version. The PS4 version before patch was arguably worse than the PS3 version, but now its signifcantly better.

Edzi

Still crazy how they touted the reduced input lag. I want to know what exactly they based that on. Someone must have believed it, but was it based on something in development or just a massive assumption?
Sadly, I don't expect it either. I don't have much trust in that guy at this point.

Yeah, I just wish they'd actually communicate with us. There are so many unanswered questions, and I think they could win back a little goodwill if they just bothered to tell us why things happened the way they did, even if its not pretty.

vg260

Much more worth it than it was before. Though unless you're on 360 or have a PC, you're better off there. Like before, this is still really only recommended for the people who don't have 360/PC or only have the PS3 version. The PS4 version before patch was arguably worse than the PS3 version, but now its signifcantly better.

But is the input lag still worse than the PS3? I hope Gilley does another test.

I-hate-u

Does anyone think that the PS4 version will ever get to be better than the Xbox360 version?

Never I think. Capcom couldn't fix the couple frame lag on PS3, which had like 3-4 releases of SF4. It seems its a "get it right from the start or it will never be fixed" type of problem.

Edzi

Never I think. Capcom couldn't fix the couple frame lag on PS3, which had like 3-4 releases of SF4. It seems its a "get it right from the start or it will never be fixed" type of problem.

I think there's a small glimmer of hope. They promoted this game by explicitly saying they fixed the PS3 lag, so unless they were just lying through their teeth to trick potential buyers, there has to be some reason why they thought that was going to be the case. Maybe it's still possible.

Shadoken

How did PC version get fixed then? Its definitely possible. Whether or not Sony will invest that amount of money to get it fixed is still a question though. It depends on how big a problem it is on PS4.

Seeing a lot less Ryus and Bisons. Not sure if that's because this patch made it easier to play other characters or I just got lucky. Instead of 90% Ryu/Bison, I'm seeing about 50% Ryu/Evil Ryu. Still annoying, but much better variety.

But is the input lag still worse than the PS3? I hope Gilley does another test.

I think its better. Not sure if its placebo or the real thing, but I'm having an easier time linking cr.lp and other combos I couldn't do yesterday. The most important improvement for me personally is netcode which is SO much better than it was before the patch and I'm not sure if the better input lag has anything to do with it.

Yeah, I just wish they'd actually communicate with us. There are so many unanswered questions, and I think they could win back a little goodwill if they just bothered to tell us why things happened the way they did, even if its not pretty.

I'd give it more than a week to come up with some kind of PR statement. They probably won't say much until its completely fixed and is the definitive edition, if that ever happens.

Edit: And with that said, there's no better PR statement for fixing messy games than to just fix it as soon as possible. People probably don't wanna hear excuses until it's all fixed.

Korezo

How did PC version get fixed then? Its definitely possible. Whether or not Sony will invest that amount of money to get it fixed is still a question though. It depends on how big a problem it is on PS4.

I don't think the pc version ever had frame lag issues, you could always mess around with it messing with pc settings.

But they should answer the question if the lag was fixed or not, ps blog still says it was removed but that was before patch.

Just had a few games, few observations.

Input lag feels the same, didn't have too much of an issue with it anyway, feels between PS3 and 360 IMO.

Menu lag is gone, same with character select menu. Menus move a lot faster now and don't have an issue.

Delay when pressing Network Battle still present, not sure what that is.

AF is MUCH better. Looks clean now.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It's completely baffling that Sony decided to just go ahead with the release last week when they already knew about all the problems the game had and were already working on fixes.

I understand the complexities of input systems and platforms but what irks me is this post by Peter "Cambofiend" Rosas:

Combofiend said:
In addition to having ALL DLC costumes that have been released until this point, this version also fixes the input lag present in the PS3 version

Source

If he had tried the PS4 version before launch he would knew about it and wouldnt post that.
Aaaanyway, ill buy when the input lag is fixed.

farisr

I'm looking at the video game input lag database http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/

and i see that Guilty Gear Xrd Sign PS4 has 5.3 frames lag (89ms) and USFIV PS4 has 7.2 frames lag (119ms). Is it that much of a difference?

What is a good input frame lag goal? 5 frames? what did Capcom advertise?

This was advertised as the definitive version, to be the one evo uses, so it needs to at least match the best version on the market (360) in order to fit that criteria. At this momen(according to displaylag), this patch improved the latency by about 1 frame, but it needs to go down by 2.1 frames (down to 5.1) to match the 360. 5.1 or better is the goal here.

thatJohann

This was advertised as the definitive version, to be the one evo uses, so it needs to at least match the best version on the market (360) in order to fit that criteria. At this momen(according to displaylag), this patch improved the latency by about 1 frame, but it needs to go down by 2.1 frames (down to 5.1) to match the 360. 5.1 or better is the goal here.

Thx for the explanation. I'm learning more about this input lag. I'm not a hardcore player so I don't really notice the input lag precision, but when I played USFIV without the patch I did notice that I had to press the buttons sooner than I usually do on fighting games. It was made worse given that immediately before playing USFIV I had just played Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate and it felt so much more responsive.

On a side note, it seems from this video game input lag database, that Killer Instict on Xbox One has the least amount of input lag on a fighter? only 4.9 frames. PRetty cool!

HabeeNo

OK this patch got me back at it. Those laggy menus and the AF issue were holding me back, but now that that's out of the way, I'm good lol

RobRSG

OK this patch got me back at it. Those laggy menus and the AF issue were holding me back, but now that that's out of the way, I'm good lol

Playing online for 2 hours and I'm back. They need to fix the input lag now and ocasional audio bugs that still happens.

KiteGr

Anyway...
I don't buy digital games, and if this requires 10 patches to play properly, then it's a digital game...
I'll stick with my PS3 edition, thanks!

I-hate-u

I wasn't aware the PC version had input lag.

I think there's a small glimmer of hope. They promoted this game by explicitly saying they fixed the PS3 lag, so unless they were just lying through their teeth to trick potential buyers, there has to be some reason why they thought that was going to be the case. Maybe it's still possible.

I still don't know how they are not liable. They straight up deceived people.

HardRojo

Anyway...
I don't buy digital games, and if this requires 10 patches to play properly, then it's a digital game...
Your PS3 version as it stands isn't the proper one either since it needs to be parched to version 1.05.

It's good that they're promptly patching this and everything, but in a way it feels redundant. You don't pride your system on having the absolute definitive version of a game, and then start pissing in the wind by pinching out a shoddy port that never should have made it past QA. This is the sort of major shortsightedness that is going to have long term repercussions. Street Fighter V is closely tied to the PS4, Sony is partly funding it by all accounts, so it's in their best interests to let fans of this series know they're guaranteed a quality product. How are they going to achieve that when they can't even successfully port a last-gen installment at a satisfactory level? And there's literally no reason for anyone or any team to be pressured into rushing it out in the first place. It's not like V is around the corner.

It's just embarrassing. There's no other word for it. Yakuza 5 better not get this same sort of treatment.

JP

Still can't work out whether I want this game or not. I want it to be good but I'm still not quite sold on it yet. There's still time though.
Anyway...
Damn right. Go for the analogue version of the game, like I did with Journey.
Journey_VinylSoundtrack_Back.jpg

Top Bottom