• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 will be played on X360 at EVO2015

Duxxy3

Because CPT. Capcom was mandating the PS4 version be used when it released as the CPT standard, which EVO is part of. When the PS4 version dropped, it was all fucked up, and CPT/Capcom dropped the PS4 as standard. I'm not sure what happened with the Other Ocean patch that was supposedly dropping today, but because PS4 version was dropped, EVO won't have to buy a bunch of PS4s, and people won't have to buy a PS4/PS3 stick for it.

*edit* Beaten like a red-heade step child 3 times over.

They still need to buy PS4's for MKX. They'll need them next year for SFV anyhow.

Someone catch me up please, what is this "Sony fucked up" stuff all about... I'm assuming there's more to it then it not being played on the PS3/PS4 at Evo.

From my understanding;

Sony wanted a port of SF4 on PS4. Capcom didn't want to do it so essentially told Sony to go ahead and do it themselves. Sony chose Other Ocean to do it and they ended up screwing up the port. Now here we are.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of that though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Either way, anything Xbox isn't really ideal in a main event tournament for a game whose sequel will be a PS4 console exclusive. I'm positive that they wanted an early start on making Street Fighter be greatly associated with the Playstation brand; That can't really happen anytime this year though due to this whole situation.
Understood. I guess that is possible, but i dont know anything about how such deals work, so i cant say much about it. Are new fighting games usually shown off at EVO? Seems like a good place to do it at least.

EDIT: I dont think it really matters that much at this point in time. Ultra Street Fighter 4 is over a year old now and its the 3rd(?) release of Street Fighter 4. I dont think which system being used in a tournament this year will have any impact on how Street Fighter 5 will be. Its not like people have much choice anyway, concidering that the game will only come out on PS4 and PC.

LeleSocho

Banned
Nah I'm reading the PS3 version is the base. If Capcom provides the code then that's what they use. Sony nor other ocean can make the game out of nothing. Capcom has to provide the code.

Maybe you didn't understand what i said. I'm questioning if it's a matter of Capcom giving the code or Sony/OtherOcean requesting the PS3 code.
For what we know Capcom could've been totally ok to give code for whatever platform and OtherOcean asked for the PS3 one (which is a good enough basis for competent developer).

Again from what we know Capcom really could have no fault for this and it's wrong to pre-emptively shit on them if we actually don't know what they did.

Because Sony/Capcom marketed this as the definitive edition of the game and went out of their way to try to make it the preferred platform for tournaments.

But they have no real control over that, though, is what I'm saying. Unless EVO is somehow owned or managed by either Capcom or Sony, there wasn't much they could do, definitive version marketing notwithstanding, that could have made EVO use a version of the game just to vibe with their marketing.

I admit to not following the 2D fighter competitive scene nearly as much, but I know plenty about other forms of gaming competitions, namely counter-strike tournaments, and it was usually always up to the people who ran the competition to decide which version of a game to use. I don't think I know of an instance where Valve or any other company could dictate which version was used unless there was some type of agreement in place beforehand. I'm assuming, obviously, that neither Sony nor Capcom had any such agreement, and even if they tried to secure one, it would still ultimately be up to the people who ran EVO to make the final decision. And something tells me they much prefer to go with a version of the game that was out longer and likely has many more people playing it.

Any and all issues would have had a much greater period of time to be addressed and worked out by the devs, and it would leave much less room for excuses or random outcomes come competition time.

edit:: Holy shit, I see what you guys are saying now. Sony even added $500,000 to the overall pot for this competition, and it isn't even being played on their platform? Ouch. Didn't know this was such a recent change of course by EVO also.

Still don't understand the obsession of getting the port to the input lag of the xbox360. If they make the PS3/arcade input lag standard than people will have to adjust to that or get tournaments to convert to that standard. I doubt that could easily be achieved anyway, because it seems entirely platform dependent (seeing the PC version has the least input lag, while x360 is slightly larger, etc).

Dynomutt

Such a missed opportunity. It's like missing a layup. What's going on Sony? Been bugging, store being lazy and get back on point.

Boke1879

Maybe you didn't understand what i said. I'm questioning if it's a matter of Capcom giving the code or Sony/OtherOcean requesting the PS3 code.
For what we know Capcom could've been totally ok to give code for whatever platform and OtherOcean asked for the PS3 one (which is a good enough basis for competent developer).

Again from what we know Capcom really could have no fault for this and it's wrong to pre-emptively shit on them if we actually don't know what they did.

I find that version highly unlikely. This is a technical game and the PS3 was the worse of all versions. The PC version right now is the best.

Even still how does Capcom now check on their flagship IP that should be the standard for their premiere fighting tournament. IMO blame is shared equally again. I think all parties involved just want a fast port.

But they have no real control over that, though, is what I'm saying. Unless EVO is somehow owned or managed by either Capcom or Sony, there wasn't much they could do, definitive version marketing notwithstanding, that could have made EVO use a version of the game just to vibe with their marketing.

I admit to not following the 2D fighter competitive scene nearly as much, but I know plenty about other forms of gaming competitions, namely counter-strike tournaments, and it was usually always up to the people who ran the competition to decide which version of a game to use. I don't think I know of an instance where Valve or any other company could dictate which version was used unless there was some type of agreement in place beforehand. I'm assuming, obviously, that neither Sony nor Capcom had any such agreement, and even if they tried to secure one, it would still ultimately be up to the people who ran EVO to make the final decision. And something tells me they much prefer to go with a version of the game that was out longer and likely has many more people playing it.

Any and all issues would have had a much greater period of time to be addressed and worked out by the devs, and it would leave much less room for excuses or random outcomes come competition time.

Capcom has an invitational tournament called the Capcom Pro Tour. You get invited to the tournament by winning other tournaments that are authorized as part of CPT. Also by accruing points on placing highly on this tournaments. A CPT authorized tournament has to abide to a certain set of rules. EVO is one of those tournaments with many others.

Part of those rules was using PS4 ver upon release. That changed now.

Capcom has an invitational tournament called the Capcom Pro Tour. You get invited to the tournament by winning other tournaments that are authorized as part of CPT. Also by accruing points on placing highly on this tournaments. A CPT authorized tournament has to abide to a certain set of rules. EVO is one of those tournaments with many others.

Part of those rules was using PS4 ver upon release. That changed now.

Yea, I see what you guys are all saying now. A definite screwup.

Blackage

Still don't understand the obsession of getting the port to the input lag of the xbox360. If they make the PS3/arcade input lag standard than people will have to adjust to that or get tournaments to convert to that standard. I doubt that could easily be achieved anyway, because it seems entirely platform dependent (seeing the PC version has the least input lag, while x360 is slightly larger, etc).

The tournament standard is 360 and has been for a while. Evo used to be the lone holdout, but they dropped it last year, since then every tournament has used the 360 version. Asking people to switch back to PS3/4 input latency 2 months before Evo is unreasonable, and again, Evo would be the only tournament using it for the end of Capcom Pro Tour, which again is really unreasonable.

Sony should take that 500k cpt finals money and redo the game.

I don't know, it'd be pretty bad form to take it back now after the fact, but maybe they had some agreement involving the $500k? Is it possible for that prize money to be deducted since the PS4 version isn't the one being used?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You've probably already figured this out by now but there was an agreement between Evo and Sony to use the PS4 version as part of the Capcom pro tour and pot bonus.

reKon

Banned
This is just embarrassing and pathetic. After all the criticism's that this HD remasters have been getting and plans for this version to be used for EVO it it's mind-boggling that they fucked this up.

Good job sucking, lol..

Korezo

Nah. That money is still going to players who win. No need to punish them for this terrible port.

16 people vs thousands that bought this garbage. Makes no sense to sponser something not even being played on your machine but your main competitions machine..

LeleSocho

Banned
I find that version highly unlikely. This is a technical game and the PS3 was the worse of all versions. The PC version right now is the best.

Even still how does Capcom now check on their flagship IP that should be the standard for their premiere fighting tournament. IMO blame is shared equally again. I think all parties involved just want a fast port.

Yeah but the PS3 version literally had just the input lag problem to be solved otherwise it would be perfect, nothing major that would need a big overhaul.

I still think the absence of quality checking from one of the FGC is to blame on the developer first and foremost then on the publisher and finally on the IP holder.

ShinMaruku

Capcom better be checking SFV so hard to not give being supervising or investing a good bunch of money on SFIV

Maybe but remember this studio do ports for a cheap price.

Dimps is making sfv it will likely be just as fucked up. Expect the worst. People never change nor learn until catastrophe.

Kikujiro

I don't know, it'd be pretty bad form to take it back now after the fact, but maybe they had some agreement involving the $500k? Is it possible for that prize money to be deducted since the PS4 version isn't the one being used?

Lmao I'm pretty sure he's joking (I hope at least), Sony is sponsoring the Capcom Cup since the beginning of the year and every Premier Events and smaller events have been using the X360 version, so it's not a big deal for them, it's more about gaining the FGC attention since SFV will be a big exclusive for them. It's thanks to Sony's money that the best players this year are traveling around the world and competing in tournaments because there are money to be made.

The problem is that the PS4 version was going to be the de facto tournament edition, they said it themselves, yet they managed to completely fucked it up.

plainr_

Lol. This is so embarrassing for Sony. Maybe they'll be careful with their words in the future, or better yet, not be such cheap asses.

giphy.gif

Don't have to buy a new stick.

Thank you based Wizard

When did Beyoncé bleach her skin?

Doubt it. SFV is still being promoted by Sony/Capcom.

Perhaps i am missing something but why is Sony to blame? I would assume capcom is entirely responsible.

Sony was in charge of the port. They gave it to Other Ocean to handle and here we are.

Lmao I'm pretty sure he's joking (I hope at least), Sony is sponsoring the Capcom Cup since the beginning of the year and every Premier Events and smaller events have been using the X360 version, so it's not a big deal for them, it's more about gaining the FGC attention since SFV will be a big exclusive for them. It's thanks to Sony's money that the best players this year are traveling around the world and competing in tournaments because there are money to be made.

The problem is that the PS4 version was going to be the de facto tournament edition, they said it themselves, yet they managed to completely fucked it up.

What's pretty strange now is I went from having zero or very little interest in Street Fighter V, to now all of a sudden having a good bit of hype to buy it on PS4. :p

Funny how actually paying attention to something can drag out all kinds of interest that you didn't even think was there.

Boke1879

16 people vs thousands that bought this garbage. Makes no sense to sponser something not even being played on your machine but your main competitions machine..

At the end of the day that doesn't matter really. Their main goal is they got SFV exclusive to their console.

The 500k money I'm sure is already in play that's done and over with. Patches are coming. God knows how long it'll take but that 500k isn't going to make things move faster.

Toxi

Banned
That's what's missing though.

The narrative in this thread is just anti-Sony.

Not "Shame the PS4 version sucks right now, but at least Sony's not making them use it for EVO"
The narrative in a thread about a game Sony messed up up is anti-Sony? No shit.

Sony really fucked up.

USF4 might get a year or two (or more) left even if SF5 takes a main spot at EVO. So they can still salvage it, but not this year.

Boke1879

Yeah but the PS3 version literally had just the input lag problem to be solved otherwise it would be perfect, nothing major that would need a big overhaul.

I still think the absence of quality checking from one of the FGC is to blame on the developer first and foremost then on the publisher and finally on the IP holder.

I agree with you. And FGC member should have been brought in to test this game. Even if there weren't any technical problems. You can't expect Sony or Other Ocean to understand the nuances of a game like this.

Recall

Lots of Microsoft fanboys up in this thread son

Some of us don't pick sides as we aren't petty children. Some of us just like to play the most competitively balanced version of a game, but if that makes people fan boys then so be it.

Top Bottom