• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 will be played on X360 at EVO2015

If I were to give Other Ocean the benefit of the doubt, I'd probably say that this game needed to come out at least a month before EVO and they were likely feeling incredible pressure to finish it up. They were likely rushed (in addition to all the other problems).

One lesson here is that no video game takes exactly as long as you think it would to come out, even ports.

Boke1879

If I were to give Other Ocean the benefit of the doubt, I'd probably say that this game needed to come out at least a month before EVO and they were likely feeling incredible pressure to finish it up. They were likely rushed (in addition to all the other problems).

One lesson here is that no video game takes exactly as long as you think it would to come out, even ports.

All parties involved probably wanted a timely port.

ZarKryn7

Sony has good ties with BluePoint and they always deliver with their ports. Iron galaxy didn't do well with Borderlands and Ratchet and Clank FFA (or q force). And now other ocean with this.

Bgamer90

Banned
Understood. I guess that is possible, but i dont know anything about how such deals work, so i cant say much about it. Are new fighting games usually shown off at EVO? Seems like a good place to do it at least.

Yeah, new fighters have been shown off at EVO in previous years.

EDIT: I dont think it really matters that much at this point in time. Ultra Street Fighter 4 is over a year old now and its the 3rd(?) release of Street Fighter 4. I dont think which system being used in a tournament this year will have any impact on how Street Fighter 5 will be. Its not like people have much choice anyway, concidering that the game will only come out on PS4 and PC.

I agree; I was simply talking about Sony using EVO to have the series be even more associated with the Playstation brand before the release of Street Fighter 5. It now can't really happen since the main event (USFIV) isn't being played on PS4.

Kikujiro

Sony should've just delayed the port until it was 100% players tested and ready, they wanted the EVO exposure, now they only got bad press.

As someone else said, this is clearly a decision took by some higher-ups who don't know anything about fighting games and competitive play.

I-hate-u

Why in the hell didn't Sony get Iron Galaxy to do the port? Third party production worked with them in the past, IG are working on brand new fighting game content with KI and made their own fighting game with Keits. Not to mention, they also worked with Capcom to port legacy fighting games in the past.

What the heck????? Seems like an obvious fit.

Just realized something. Why in the hell didn't Sony get Iron Galaxy to do the port? Third party production worked with them in the past, IG are working on brand new fighting game content and made their own fighting game with Keits. Not to mention, they also worked with Capcom to port legacy fighting games in the past.

They probably wanted the cheapest option.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's one tournament versus SFV. USFIV on Ps4 didn't even have to happen.

Why can't they have all versions? Get an arcade machine in there. Be be authentic.

360 is also a ten year old system. Who buys one now? Gens have moved on and so have ports. You should have already owned one IMO.

Whose going to Win EvO2k15 SFIV? I think SFV could go smoothly, of course there's always something to say about it. Capcom and Sony aren't stupid. They weren't born yesterday either.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So why 360 instead of PS3?

Isn't this whole thing sponsored by sony, this just looks extremely embarrassing for them.

I hope they learn their lesson about going cheap on ports. Ports deserve goddamn respect, no one will pay for an inferior version of a product that you can get better else ware.

.....And Naughty Dog? TLOU: Remastered?

Doesn't count because he was talking about out sourced ports.

Lulubop

Why in the hell didn't Sony get Iron Galaxy to do the port? Third party production worked with them in the past, IG are working on brand new fighting game content with KI and made their own fighting game with Keits. Not to mention, they also worked with Capcom to port legacy fighting games in the past.

You don't think they have their plate full with KI? I certainly do.

vg260

I'm sure they would have knocked it out of the park, but it's a weird situation with their tight ties to Microsoft on KI, and SF effectively going to Sony. Not to mention they probably have their hands full.

I-hate-u

They probably wanted the cheapest option.

How well did it turn out for them? Seriously, you are porting a game that has been played hardcore for half a decade by people that know the game frame by frame. They can't skimp out on ensuring the title at least rivals the Xbox 360 version, when they have assured us it will be the ultimate edition of the title.

Vice

It's one tournament versus SFV. USFIV on Ps4 didn't even have to happen.

Why can't they have all versions? Get an arcade machine in there. Be be authentic.

Easier for players to know they need a stick for one system rather than having to have a ps3, xbox or -s4 stick depending on what console they have to play on. Easier for players who use converters as well. Arcade cabinets would wreck the experience for pad players and hitbox players. Plus, there aren't that many, if any, official USF4 cabinets in America.

Isn't this whole thing sponsored by sony, this just looks extremely embarrassing for them.

I hope they learn their lesson about going cheap on ports. Ports deserve goddamn respect, no one will pay for an inferior version of a product that you can get better else ware.

PS# version has slightly more input lag than the 360 version and has slowdown issues with certain characters on certain stages.

YoungOne

Because console wise sf4 is best on 360.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm sure that suits over at Japan can comfort themselves by thinking that.

The fact is, this fuck-up has stained their reputation with the FGC and is going to hurt them long term.

This isn't a stain. It's a bad port and it's getting the treatment it deserves. SFV could very well come out perfect.

You're right, but I still think Sony has the 1up on all this with SFV anyway. I haven't used my Xbox to play SF since 3s was on XBL back with the Anniversary Collection.

I'd say they won't make the same mistake twice.

Balb

Respect for the guys who run EVO for not compromising the integrity of the tournament despite all of that Sony pot money.

Kikujiro

Iron Galaxy did Borderlands Vita and it was pretty bad, Sony needed a bigger and expert team like Hexadrive or some people from Capcom. Street Fighter is an important IP, you can't just go cheap with it.

At this point, EVO is probably considering adopting PC for SFV tournaments just to stay away from the PS4...

Lmao guys if you don't know anything about the tournament scene please don't talk. SFV will be on PS4 because EVO will be getting PS4s no matter what, it will be the main console for fighting games (they will be running anime games, Mortal Kombat X, Tekken 7 and SFV on it). Plus who's going to buy them all the PC equipments?

kirblar

They're just a bit busy right now working for a competitor.

Boke1879

At this point, EVO is probably considering adopting PC for SFV tournaments just to stay away from the PS4...

lol no they aren't. They would likely never use PC. Against gamers have a habit of showing outrage at the time of incident. Honestly by years end and the eventual release of SFV people will be too hype to even care.

I-hate-u

You don't think they have their plate full with KI? I certainly do.

I'm sure they would have knocked it out of the park, but it's a weird situation with their tight ties to Microsoft on KI, and SF effectively going to Sony. Not to mention they probably have their hands full.

IG handled working on multiple projects in the past that include helping on Destiny, working on the Borderland ports, Divekick, and KI season 2. Don't underestimate Dave Lang.

There seems to be a lot of short term thinking with these remastered ports.

Hire the lowest bidder, track record be damned.

Perhaps also there is much ignorance and apathy towards technical competence at the executive decision making level. You'd think a company like Sony would be smart enough to hire wise long term decision makers in an arm as critical to its long term success as PlayStation.

From my experience only one studio has demonstrated flawless technical prowess to port one generation up. That studio is Hexadrive. Either them, or get the original developers on board.

I can't stand sloppy or dodgy deals to the least deserving.

I agree that Hexadrive has done an amazing job on all their releases... except Type-0. That was a travesty... of course it might've just been budget related.

Yup, pretty crazy that no one seems to consider that factor. By declaring that USF4 was going to be the played on PS4 at Evo, Sony and Capcom put Other Ocean under a strict deadline condition. And absolutely no one among us know if that deadline was reasonable.

Auctopus

BluePoint probably has their plate full

Busy with Uncharted Collection most likely/hopefully.

I know we've had some killer titles like Bloodborne but I really feel like Sony have rested on their laurels for the last couple years in knowing they have the lead. Really wish they'd have capitalised on their success rather than cooling off/partially sucking :/

supahkiwi

Banned
The ps4 version was pushed and promoted as the tournament standard going forward, and Sony added 500000 dollars to the pot at EVO as part of the initiative. It's a big deal that USFIV won't be played on a Sony platform because someone screwed up the port.

Sony did not add a 500k pot to EVO.

I-hate-u

Yup, pretty crazy that no one seems to consider that factor. By declaring that USF4 was going to be the played on PS4 at Evo, Sony and Capcom put Other Ocean under a strict deadline condition. And absolutely no one among us know if that deadline was reasonable.

Yep. Other Ocean should be out of blame. Sony however...

Good on Evo.

Sony messed it up real bad. This port was 100% in their control. It was a simple port and they went with the cheap road instead of doing it right.

Talking on the larger consequences the entire SF exclusive deal was about winning over the fighting game fans and they have cocked that up completely for this year. Maybe SFV will turn it around but with this quality Sony Support I have doubts about that turning out well.

People wont buy into it as easy now and its a massive blow to the SF brand.

Capcom has to be pissed as well. They have Sony the freedom and clearly they cant be trusted with a simple port.

Jomjom

Banned
I hope lots of people are retweeting this to Adam, Shu, and Gio just to make sure this never happens again.

Sony fucked up by being cheap as fuck and they should feel bad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Other Ocean is definately not free of blame since they were the ones who developed the title. Regardless of external circumstances, they were the ones who consented to the commission of the product and are directly responsible for the condition it is launched in. All 3 sides do have blame in this situation.

The most important thing, is what are they going to do about it now.

Sony who is the publisher in this situation, is the one who needs to do the most damage control, even though they are not the only blamed party. Cause its their commissioned port, and their current gen exclusive money on the line, as well as their consumers directly affected by being cheapasses and going with Other Ocean

Top Bottom