• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 will be played on X360 at EVO2015

Kikujiro

Honestly they just need to focus on fixing the game. Words won't help at all. For competitive purposes. The situation has been fixed. They are using the 360 version for EVO.

Saying they dropped Other Ocean and a mini-team at Capcom or some other team like Hexadrive is working on it will help a lot.

Boke1879

I guess they thought they'd save time, where the game was already set up for the PSN system, online, trophies, button prompts, etc. But you'd think all the hassle with de-tangling all the Cell processor-specific coding would take more time. It is probably the reason for the mess they're in now.

It's hilarious that they didn't even bother edit most of the button prompts. Couldn't spare one guy half a day's worth of work.

But it makes no sense. You can't just hand over the most flawed version of the game at the time to port over. It should be easier to port PC to PS4.

This is why I saw the responsibility is shared. I believe all parties involved wanted a fast port of the game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I guess they thought they'd save time, where the game was already set up for the PSN system, online, trophies, button prompts, etc. But you'd think all the hassle with de-tangling all the Cell processor-specific coding would take more time. It is probably the reason for the mess they're in now.

It's hilarious that they didn't even bother edit most of the button prompts. Couldn't spare one guy half a day's worth of work to change the title screen, and substitute the PS3 shoulder button icons for PS4 ones?

I'd say its even worse because not only do they have to dangle with CELL's issues when PS4 is not even remotely the same, they have to deal with all of the PS3 versions's issues specifically as well. No PC code means no higher grade textures, AF or AA sliders at all, because PS3 never had any of those to begin with.

If they had used PC code, they could have just went with the PC highest grade assets, but yeah...i still don't understand going with PS3 code to begin with. If Capcom was the one who decided that, they need to come clean

Arzehn

So we should be happy that they even decided to release it at all!

Thank you Sony for this great port!

Now everybody, please be outraged quieter!

Look, I'm no apologist for Sony. That's not the point I'm trying to make.

I'm saying MrWizard could have set a different narrative. It's called being a professional and looking after your sponsors as best you can, something which should absolutely matter to him.

You are reading to much into it.

Maybe.

BouncyFrag

Street Fighter Tournament?
Pcxb.jpg

We have a system for that, it's called the Xbox 360.
We have come full circle, but the tables have now turned, lol.

DR2K

Banned
False advertising is heavily frowned upon in a court of law and that's what this version is so far.

Edzi

Sony really needs to come out and be clear about the situation, the damage is done, but if they want to regain the people's trust they need to drop the PR talk. Promising patches is not enough, especially when Other Ocean is still doing the work.
There's plenty of time before the Capcom Cup finals, better act fast.
Honestly they just need to focus on fixing the game. Words won't help at all. For competitive purposes. The situation has been fixed. They are using the 360 version for EVO.

At this point, I feel like it's more about Sony (and Capcom) coming out and showing that they actually give a damn about their customers. Other Ocean doesn't need to apologize, they just need to disappear.

Now everybody, please be outraged quieter!

I hope this never dies.

Boke1879

How's anyone but Sony's (and Other Ocean) fault?
Capcom probably didn't have plans for the game on the platform to begin with and trusted Sony with the whole ordeal.

Again they share blame. How do they provide them with the PC code? How do they not check in on their own flagship game that's supposed to be the standard for their premier tournament?

Loudninja

This blame game stuff is pretty stupid.

There are 3 parties involve in this,trying to pick one to blame is not possible without details.

test_account

XP-39C²
I would assume that Sony had plans to advertise Street Fighter 5 during the (originally, PS4) Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournament. Don't know if they could still do that now.

Either way, this has been a really big mess.
Why wouldnt they be able to advertise Street Fighter 5 though? Its still a brand new game. Unless you mean that there was some marketing deal that was only possible because of the PS4 port of Ultra Street Fighter 4.

Yep, should have delayed it. Trying to make it to Capcom Cup was not a good decision.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/83/831fed82a85437a7c7c47a373d3141b042593d8db8d7fd174207724f486426bf.jpg
I wonder what Miyamoto's thoughts are on Duke Nuke Forever hehe :p (Besides the long loading times on consoles, i actually thought that it was a pretty good game). There is always possible for patches too, so a game isnt necessarily bad forever. But yeah, a delay could minimize the chance of a game being bad, indeed.

Street Fighter Tournament?
http://i.picpar.com/Pcxb.jpg
We have a system for that, it's called the Xbox 360.
Lol :)

Why is this such a big thing? I'm genuinely confused by the responses in this thread. I know this competition is apparently a very big deal, but why exactly did people ever believe that the PS4 version of this game was somehow automatically a lock as the preferred platform for this competition? Didn't the PS4 version literally just get released, meanwhile the game has been available on other platforms since around September of last year?

I imagine you'd go with a version of the game where the various competitors have had a decent bit of time and preparation.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How's anyone but Sony's (and Other Ocean) fault?
Capcom probably didn't have plans for the game on the platform to begin with and trusted Sony with the whole ordeal.

Capcom handed over the code to their own game, they handed over the PS3 code instead of PC. They are explicitly also to blame for the quality of the port.

Sony and Capcom need to focus on fixing this shit as quick as possible and providing damage compensation through apologies as well as ASAP patching or refunds. As someone else said, Other ocean only needs to probably not get any work ever again unless they can provide proof they can do more than assemble some code together from already provided assets

Kusagari

Why is this such a big thing? I'm genuinely confused by the responses in this thread. I know this competition is apparently a very big deal, but why exactly did people ever believe that the PS4 version of this game was somehow automatically a lock as the preferred platform for this competition? Didn't the PS4 version literally just get released, meanwhile the game has been available on other platforms since around September of last year?

I imagine you'd go with a version of the game where the various competitors have had a decent bit of time and preparation.

Because Sony/Capcom marketed this as the definitive edition of the game and went out of their way to try to make it the preferred platform for tournaments.

LeleSocho

Banned
Again they share blame. How do they provide them with the PC code? How do they not check in on their own flagship game that's supposed to be the standard for their premier tournament?

Who said they did/did not? Probably Sony or Other Ocean just requested the PS3 code to Capcom and that's what they did, for a competent developer that's a good enough basis to make a port.
Also did they really needed had to check stuff with a port of a pretty basic 7 y/o game?
More about how come Other Ocean didn't even think about calling a couple of random FGC players to try the thing? When the game released FGC players realized within seconds that the game felt quite off.

Sony has a partnership with Capcom on this. They announced that the PS4 ver would be the ver to play on the capcom pro tour. Turns out the port is shit.

Boke1879

It was a deal. The PS4 version was going to be used in tournaments going forward. This change was only recently made because the port is so bad.

The big deal was the PS4 was going to be the definitive version and be used in Capcom Cup events. I think everyone assumed because of this standard that they wouldn't botch the port, but they did for some reason. In reality I don't think it's as big a deal as people are making it out to be because this only applies to a small section of gaming in general (struggle for Fighting Games real), but still it should have never happened.

Most matches get played on training stage, but it's not even close to 100%. Plus it's nice to be able to have the option to play on other stages don't you think?
Yah but supposedly only a couple other stages lag, and I believe those are the newer stages that weren't properly optimized (the ones ported from SFxT). I haven't even seen definitive proof that on both systems they don't lag (and what stages do).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The ps4 version was pushed and promoted as the tournament standard going forward, and Sony added 500000 dollars to the pot at EVO as part of the initiative. It's a big deal that USFIV won't be played on a Sony platform because someone screwed up the port.

BIGWORM

Because CPT. Capcom was mandating the PS4 version be used when it released as the CPT standard, which EVO is part of. When the PS4 version dropped, it was all fucked up, and CPT/Capcom dropped the PS4 as standard. I'm not sure what happened with the Other Ocean patch that was supposedly dropping today, but because PS4 version was dropped, EVO won't have to buy a bunch of PS4s, and people won't have to buy a PS4/PS3 stick for it.

*edit* Beaten like a red-heade step child 3 times over.

Boke1879

Who said they did/did not? Probably Sony or Other Ocean just requested the PS3 code to Capcom, for a competent developer that's a good enough basis to make a port.
Also did they really needed had to check stuff with a port of a pretty basic 7 y/o game?
More about how come Other Ocean didn't even think about calling a couple of random FGC players to try the thing? When the game released FGC players realized within seconds that the game felt quite off.

Nah I'm reading the PS3 version is the base. If Capcom provides the code then that's what they use. Sony nor other ocean can make the game out of nothing. Capcom has to provide the code.

Because CPT. Capcom was mandating the PS4 version be used when it released as the CPT standard, which EVO is part of. When the PS4 version dropped, it was all fucked up, and CPT/Capcom dropped the PS4 as standard. I'm not sure what happened with the Other Ocean patch that was supposedly dropping today, but because PS4 version was dropped, EVO won't have to buy a bunch of PS4s, and people won't have to buy a PS4/PS3 stick for it.

The patch went for submission yesterday/today. It has to be QA before it goes live next week.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why wouldnt they be able to advertise Street Fighter 5 though? Its still a brand new game. Unless you mean that there was some marketing deal that was possible because of the PS4 port of Ultra Street Fighter 4.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Either way, anything Xbox isn't really ideal in a main event tournament for a game whose sequel will be a PS4 console exclusive. I'm positive that they wanted an early start on making Street Fighter be greatly associated with the Playstation brand; That can't really happen anytime this year though due to this whole situation.

Someone catch me up please, what is this "Sony fucked up" stuff all about... I'm assuming there's more to it then it not being played on the PS3/PS4 at Evo.

Kikujiro

EVO already has PS4s or Sony already gave them, they are running other games like Xrd and Mortal Kombat X on the PS4.

Top Bottom