• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UMVC3: Phoenix Wright and Nova Revealed!

I was planning on going to sleep, but seeing as how it's 6:43 am PST right now. I should just stay up. YouTube, Amazon MP3s and this long ass walk in Hollywood at 1am set my night off right.

rukland

I am so ready now that one kid is off to school and the other one is up. I have MvC3 in playing around with that while waiting for the reveals. HYPE is building!

Regarding vanilla characters... That depends how you classify "favorite", haha. For instance, I hate Wesker both as a character and how he plays, but I play him cause I'm good with him. :p
I'll just go ahead with those characters I actually enjoy. And it's a BIG list, so...

Trish is just so fun to watch with her traps and huge sword. I'm totally straight for her. Favorite hyper is Round Harvest.

Arthur - I just loved Ghosts n Goblins, and he is just so fun to watch and play as. For the Princess is, of course, just perfectly fine as a badass hyper for him.

Tron actually is one of, if not my absolute, favorite characters in the Mega Man universe. She is such a fun character in the Legends games, and I think I'm one of the very few people to be able to say that they played her own solo game, Misadventures of Tron Bonne. I also just love using her cause she's so fun - and it seems I'm actually decent with her. Hyper? Well both the Level 3 and the Lunchtime ones are amazing. I can't decide!

Of course, I'm a huge sucker for Crimson Viper, I've been trying to play her for pretty much shortly after getting the game. Favorite hyper... I don't really have one, they all look badass. But I guess Burst Time. :)

Then there's Hsien-Ko, who was my main character in Darkstalkers and on my first team when picking up Mahvel. Though she is terrible in this game, I still like her very much. Fav hyper combo for her is the hammer with the morning stars.

I also got to really like Jill, and with her I like the Uzi one. It's fun! :D

Spider-Man was one of my longer main characters, although I dropped him in favor of Wesker. With him, I enjoyed using Maximum Spider cause I love how he says it.

Magneto, as often as he appears, is just so fun to watch. I never really played him myself, only gave him a try. Of most top tiers, he probably is the one I don't mind seeing all the time simply because he just looks so badass. Gravity Squeeze obviously is my fave hyper.

I've always been a big fan of She-Hulk, and in MvC, she has the same status for me as Magneto. I don't play her, but she's is SO fun to watch when being used, especially by Combofiend and the likes. My favorite hyper with Shulkie is Taking out the Trash.

Taskmaster has been a long favorite of mine in terms of character, and I was pleasantly surprised about his inclusion in Marvel. I still play him (although not as often anymore since I picked up Trish), and my favorite hyper is the arrows.

I've loved Iron Man since I was a kid, and the recent-ish movies only underlined that badassery that is Tony Stark. The tincan is another one of those characters I can't play to save my life, but they're just a BLAST to watch. Unfortunately, this guy is really rare. I hope we'll get more Iron Action in Ultimate. I don't think I need to name the hyper here...
It's Iron Avenger.

Out of the Avengers, though, Thor always has been my favorite character, and I still love him because of the cheesiness of his Ye Olde English talking. He was among the 3 characters I first played when I picked up the game. His Mighty Tornado hyper is my favorite here.

Doctor Doom has been the third character on my initial roster, and was the only one who actually stayed. In the time I've played this game, I dropped many characters, and I dropped the Doctor as well, but he was the only character I regularly came back to. Now, he's been anchored as my anchor. I love all of his hypers, though Doom Time is just so fun to watch - he fucking sits down and watches you suffer. :D

Being a big sucker for both Cosmic Marvel and villains, obviously the next character that should be named is the Super-Skrull. Whenever I feel random, I pick him instead of Wesker in the hopes I somehow learned to be good with him, but I'm really not. I will definitely try picking him up in Ultimate, though - he's probably one of my most favorite characters in vanilla in general. As for the hypers, I like Inferno a lot, but Death Penalty is just too good. TOO GOOD MAN TOO GOOD.

MODOK is of course the next step, and when I first heard about his inclusion in Marvel, I burst out in laughter. Especially because I was told that in a very salty manor. Being a comic fan, I obviously knew all about MODOK, and I read MODOK's Eleven (a really hilarious comic, go check it out) just shortly before the news came in. And I fucking LOVE MODOK. He's definitely my absolute favorite character in this game. His theme is funky, and he is just a blast to play - despite the fact I can't save my life playing him. My favorite hyper for him style-wise is Killer Illumination, although the Hyper Psionic Blaster is really awesome in its utilization of the Level of Understanding-mechanic.

Although I don't like the X-Men series all too much, Phoenix was one of the earlier characters I picked up. As someone mentioned earlier, aside from the DP shenanigans, she is actually really fun to play as, and I enjoy whenever a Phoenix player has the guts to actually use her on point and not just tag her out immediately. Watching Clockwork play regular Jean is just amazing. I love Healing Field as well.

Dormammu obviously is another one of those villains, and I've always loved his badassery in the comics. While I usually am not a fan of redesigning characters, the redesign of Dormammu, which MvC uses, is one of the best redesigns ever made, and Dormammu looks just awesome. I really hope this look sticks around, because the old red spikey flamey head is a little bit silly for the evil overlord of the Dark Dimension. Aside from that, Dormammu also was one of the characters I tried playing early in my gamelife, but it should never work out. I love all of his hypers, though the Level 3 is probably the best cinematic hyper in the game, so obviously that one takes the cake.

Speaking of Dr. Strange's nemeses, there's also Shuma-Gorath. As soon as he was released, I bought him and immediately played him. And he turned out to be really fun to play with. It also really felt that the comboing with him is extremely fluent. I never was a fan of chargers, though, because I don't get along with them, so unfortunately, I eventually dropped him again. I still love seeing him whenever I do, and of course Chaos Dimension is my favorite hyper.

Finally, Storm, one of the very few X-Men I actually really like. She was another one of those early characters of mine, and I actually recently started slowly picking her up again. I love seeing Storm's movement and attacking, and she is really fun to watch on streams. My favorite hyper is the cinematic one that triggers DHC glitch so well, I forgot its name.

Mpl90 said:
Did Capcom really confirm that in 2 hours we'll have the trailers? XD

Well we got this:
http://twitter.com/#!/WesPhillips/status/130845878155091969

And eidrian who has secret connections told us 8 AM. It's most likely PST since that's Capcom's PR time usually, thus I would suspect it to appear in a bit more than an hour.

Edit:
Whoops, sorry for double post, didn't expect nobody to post, lol - but at least both posts are relevant.

rukland

I think most of us are either still waking up or never went to bed. So yeah posting from people now is going to be sporadic at best until we get the reveals.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
sephi22 said:
Just to make the wait easier, what's everyone's favorite character(s) and hyper(s) in Vanilla? Not just personality wise, but gameplay wise too.

Character(s): Dormammu, Spiderman, Wesker, Dr. Doom
Hyper(s): Gravity Squeeze, Bionic ARRRRRRM, and Sphere Flame

Character(s): Magnus, Storm, Dorm, Wesker, and C.Viper

I didn't know a thing about Dorm until this game, so I went and read the comics he has been in. I've been a fan since then.

I can't really use C.Viper in SFIV (Bison Army for life), and I can't really use her that well in this -yet-, but she's awesome.

Storm and Magnus have been my fav since ye old days at the arcade.

Wesker is gdlk, or, he was before RE 5.

Hypers: Gravity Squeeze, Hailstorm, Lost in Nightmares, Dark Dimension, and Lunch Rush (Tron's hyper, whatever it's called)

ReiGun

Another favorite character I forgot is Captain America. He sucks, but I love playing the guy. All of his hypers are great (favorite is Final Justice), and his combos look so stylish. And his "Steve Rogers Super Cop" alt is amazing. I think I'm going to seriously pick him up in Ultimate.

ONE HOUR REMAINS!!!!!!!

racoon_animated.gif

Dispite having a Viper Icon, im absolutely terrible with her. I plan to put in more lab time with her in Ulitmate. I just love her design and her look, she reminds me of a SNK character(Venessa mostly)

Shes a hot badass. The. End!

rukland

My favs seem to have started to form Wesker, Hulk, and ? thats my problem I like the way the two I have play still can't find a third I like and can remotely play well. Hoping Nemesis works for me.

rukland said:
My favs seem to have started to form Wesker, Hulk, and ? thats my problem I like the way the two I have play still can't find a third I like and can remotely play well. Hoping Nemesis works for me.

Ghost Rider might actually work for that team.

rukland

Becquerel said:
Ghost Rider might actually work for that team.

Yeah he was the other one I was looking at. I figure it's going to be my version of team scrub and I am fine with that. I just want to have fun.

SmithnCo said:
T-minus 30 minutes before someone maybe decides to upload something hopefully. Maybe. Hopefully.

After NYCC and Saturday, I am fully prepared to actually not get any trailers today, but in a week. :p

Dahbomb

Another favorite character I forgot is Captain America. He sucks, but I love playing the guy. All of his hypers are great (favorite is Final Justice), and his combos look so stylish. And his "Steve Rogers Super Cop" alt is amazing. I think I'm going to seriously pick him up in Ultimate.
Captain America for sure does not suck in UMVC3.

Ashkeloth

Might as well write a mini-essay on my favourite characters since I'm bored and waiting for the hype train to pull into the station I'm at.

Spider-Man: I grew up watching the animated series, so he's probably one of my favourite super heroes. He's got a really nice moveset and just works in a lot of ways. He's also great for trolling if I'm in the mood. "Duuuude, you suck!"

Deadpool: I'll admit. I'd heard the hype about him before he was even included in the game, but I'd never really been exposed to Deadpool before that. He's a hilarious character with well thought out zoning and rushdown moves equally. He's on the lower end of my favourites, but still deserves a place.

Magneto: I used to think Magneto was kind of lame, but now, with his newer "old-man" voice, he's got this idealistic old badass vibe going on. His ending was actually surprisingly nice as well, considering he's generally considered a villian. I don't actually play him, but I never get tired of seeing those combos and hearing "You are defeated".

Viewtiful Joe: HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY! I loved the PS2 games, I love his character. It's just a shame that he never seems to work that well no matter what game he's in. Perhaps his dodge will revolutionise him, but to be honest, I think he's going to be stuck in the lower tier for all time thanks to his stature.

Spencer: Take a shitty redesign from a passable game that no-one really wanted, and you get the recipe for a wasted character slot, right? Wrong. Thanks to one line and one certain performance, this character has actually ended up probably doing more good for the Bionic Commando series than the entire 09 game did. BIONIC AAAAARM!

Amaterasu: Okami was probably one of my favourite games from last generation, and Capcom really nailed her moveset in MvC3. The fact that she's a goddess that just does not give a damn seals the deal for me. "What, I won? Who cares? Time for a nap next to the corpses of what could potentially be 3 of the strongest beings in the universe. Perhaps my win-quote will reference me taking a piss on them too."

Jintor

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu this time zone shit is bad for my sleep cycle.

Dahbomb

I love PST. It's an exact 12 hours difference from mine meaning if it's 8 AM there it's 8 PM here. I just got off from rotation as well and have the rest of the night completely off.

Dahbomb

*TURNS ON INTERCOM*

THIS IS YOUR HYPE CAPTAIN SPEAKING. WE WILL BE ARRIVING AT OUR FINAL DESTINATION IN EXACTLY 10 MINUTES. PLEASE HAVE YOUR PASSPORTS AND DOCUMENTS READY FOR INSPECTION ONCE WE DISEMBARK.

IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE SERVING YOU TODAY ON ABOARD MAHVEL HYPE TRAIN UNLIMITED. WE HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE RIDE AND LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR FUTURE HYPE NEEDS.

Top Bottom