• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UMVC3: Phoenix Wright and Nova Revealed!

Jintor

I'm writing an essay on the sociocultural changes to the world brought on by digital technologies, specifically in the areas of media communication and consumption.

Dartastic

I have two more questions to do for a homework assignment due tomorrow. I'll do them tomorrow because they're dumb and short. And Jameson is awesome.

Level 3 that can otg.... pretty terrible... needs more damage.... NO BEGONE WITH YOU!
Dormammu's level 3 is one of the weakest in damage. It only does a mere 400K, whereas most are in the 430-450K range, or have some awesome utility if they're outside of that range. Beam hypers beat it, so it can't even be used to snatch someone up who tries to random him out in a projectile war. If it had some strong utility, it would not be so bad.

The situation is made worse in that Dormammu is a very meter-intensive character. 3 bars of meter means a lot more to him than, say, Wesker, whose level 3 does 450K. Plus, Dormammu already finishes his hypers by a combined Purification OTG and Chaotic Flame. A basic magic into level 1 does 574.6K for Dormammu, and his level 3 does 713.9K.

Essentially, Dormammu is burning two extra bars of meter for an extra 140K damage. A Stalking Flare will deal 120K chip damage. Thus, unless your opponent has a counter to Stalking Flare, Dormammu will get more out of an OTG into Chaotic Flame followed by Purification canceled into Stalking Flare than his level 3, and he's building two Purifications worth of meter in there, too.

I'm not saying that Dormammu's level 3 is worthless, just that it's much more situational than most level 3s in the game, and Dormammu often has better things to do with his meter, which makes it even less desirable.

Dormammu has so many OTGs...I would rather it have a decent hitbox than OTG!

Gatlyke invincibility, full screen range, OTG-ability and ability to follow up isn't enough for some people. >_>
OTG means nothing to Dormammu. 1D2C, 2D1C, 3D0C, Purification, and Flame Carpet all let him OTG. It's not like he has problems following up his combos. If the hitbox on Dark Dimension were in the space in front of him, it would actually be better, because then he could get some Purification damage in.

Dormammu can't really perform a meaningful follow-up without an assist to help him. He's not like Felicia, who can punish anything anywhere and get a full combo from it, or Dante, who gets a free combo from his. If he could follow-up solo, then it would definitely be much more worthwhile of the meter it spends. My personal team does not let Dormammu OTG relaunch if my point character has died.

The invincibility isn't a big deal because the restricting aspect of Dark Dimension is the hitbox. If you're using it as a counter, it's only as a counter to another hyper that is not a beam. It's not special in this regard - most level 3s have invincibility frames. It would be especially weird if it did NOT have one.

The full-screen range, again, only really matters in the sense that you use it to counter another hyper. Most hypers Dormammu WANTS to counter at full-screen range are beams, and Dark Dimension loses to beams.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Twisted-Gamer said:
Once these last two trailers come out tmrw, some should edit them all togther to make one giant trailer for the OT...
No one likes giant trailers. Plus there will probably be a launch trailer featuring all the characters anyways.

EDIT: Avatar resuming normal duty.

Funny-2.gif

QisTopTier said:
I wish I was as fat as homer haha. I'm a fucking twig. I can't keep weight on at all. Doesn't help with the disability either. You would think someone that sits on their ass all the time and eats all the time would eventually gain weight >.<

I wish I was like you, lmao. Most of the time I eat like a mouse and while I'm no Blob, I've still got quite some weight. It's like I just have to look at a cake to have it added to my weight.
I know so many guys like you, they eat like three times as much and are as slim as my pinky, haha.

GatorBait said:
A lot of problems with time zones in this thread. :|

Yea, MarvelGAF is free to timezones.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GatorBait said:
A lot of problems with time zones in this thread. :|
Well I KNOW it's almost 8:30 EST now, so that means in about 2 and a half hours it's on, right?

Trust me, I regret skipping that single geography class when they covered time zones every passing day of my life.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Becquerel, prepare your second tab for new thread and fire at any cost today :D

It suck to be sick today. I never felt that shitty since last yeat. Ugh.

Hype in 2 and half

enzo_gt said:
Well I KNOW it's almost 8:30 EST now, so that means in about 2 and a half hours it's on, right?

Trust me, I regret skipping that single geography class when they covered time zones every passing day of my life.

Whoa, enzo back to normal? Haha.

Yea, it's about 2.5 hours left. It won't be at exactly 8, there it'll just start coming out, so I'd actually suspect about 3 hours completely. If in doubt, you can go to Google and type in "Time in San Francisco" or something, and it'll show you the time over there. :)

IntelliHeath said:
Becquerel, prepare your second tab for new thread and fire at any cost today :D

It suck to be sick today. I never felt that shitty since last yeat. Ugh.

Hype in 2 and half

Tab is open. And that Rocky/Frank reveal is gonna make you feel better in no time! Well, in 2.5 hours. But after that waiting, you'll be good in no time!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Becquerel said:
Whoa, enzo back to normal? Haha.

Yea, it's about 2.5 hours left. It won't be at exactly 8, there it'll just start coming out, so I'd actually suspect about 3 hours completely. If in doubt, you can go to Google and type in "Time in San Francisco" or something, and it'll show you the time over there. :)

Tab is open. And that Rocky/Frank reveal is gonna make you feel better in no time! Well, in 2.5 hours. But after that waiting, you'll be good in no time!

Haha, I hope so. Going back to sleep and already set my alarm to wake me up in 2 hours o_o

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit enzo, you have forced my hand to change avatars early.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nils said:
Dammit enzo, you have forced my hand to change avatars early.
I had to prematurely or else it'd be like that the entire day and I wouldn't be able to change it haha.

It's okay, the spirit of SolarPowered lives on within us all!

Wow, well done Capcom. You made the hype explode 2 days early and now everything's calming down.

WE NEED MORE HYPE GUYS. WE'LL GET TRAILERS IN 2 HOURS FOR REAL NOW!

Odinson

Catching up on what I missed over the weekend... Avatar switches, Viscant, and trailer leaks/descriptions. I love Mahvel GAF! Now let's get Hype for these reveals!

Trainpic2-1.jpg

ReiGun

sephi22 said:
Just to make the wait easier, what's everyone's favorite character(s) and hyper(s) in Vanilla? Not just personality wise, but gameplay wise too.

Deadpool: I don't really remember why I started playing him, but he's so much fun and fits my playstyle like a glove. Favorite hyper is Cutting Time.

Trish: She's an even better example of that mix between rush and keepaway that I like in Deadpool, with added bonus of being able to fly. Favorite hyper is Round Harvest.

Iron Man: Probably the hardest character I've ever tried to tackle in a fighting game. I still suck with him, but I still like playing him whenever I can. Favorite hyper is Iron Avenger.

X-23: Her combos are so satisfying. Favorite hyper is Weapon X Prime

Phoenix: Dark foolishness aside, regular Jean is really fun to play. Were I a braver man, I would try playing her on point. Favorite Hyper is Healing Field.

Also, TWO MORE HOURS!!!!!!!!!

raccoon.gif

sephi22

Becquerel said:
Wow, well done Capcom. You made the hype explode 2 days early and now everything's calming down.

I'm making a mahvel gaf picture for the hype explosion in the reveal thread.

sephi22

I've been up for 25 hours now without a wink of sleep. I feel really fucked up right now, but I won't sleep till I get the reveals. I'm going to watch some really really effed hentai till the reveals come, the kind that gets you hard but you're too ashamed to fap. Its the only way I can stay up.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Weapon X-Prime is probably my favorite hyper in the game. Start zoning me predictably, that's a paddling, do full screen hyper? That's a paddling. Hyper blazes past damn near everything. Unfortunately you have to be psychic to cruise past Ryu and Akuma's beams.

Nemesis_

sephi22 said:
I've been up for 25 hours now without a wink of sleep. I feel really fucked up right now, but I won't sleep till I get the reveals. I'm going to watch some really really effed hentai till the reveals come, the kind that gets you hard but you're too ashamed to fap. Its the only way I can stay up.

This just seems stupid. >_>

Zissou

ReiGun said:
Deadpool: I don't really remember why I started playing him, but he's so much fun and fits my playstyle like a glove. Favorite hyper is Cutting Time.

Trish: She's an even better example of that mix between rush and keepaway that I like in Deadpool, with added bonus of being able to fly. Favorite hyper is Round Harvest.

Iron Man: Probably the hardest character I've ever tried to tackle in a fighting game. I still suck with him, but I still like playing him whenever I can. Favorite hyper is Iron Avenger.

X-23: Her combos are so satisfying. Favorite hyper is Weapon X Prime

Phoenix: Dark foolishness aside, regular Jean is really fun to play. Were I a braver man, I would try playing her on point. Favorite Hyper is Healing Field.

Also, TWO MORE HOURS!!!!!!!!!

raccoon.gif

Speaking of the awesomeness that is deadpool, has anybody heard if you can now re-assign the taunt button to something that's not select? I play on a TE stick, so integrating deadpool taunts into combos is tough. I guess I could rewire one of the other buttons to be the select button...

ReiGun

sephi22 said:
I'm going to watch some really really effed hentai till the reveals come, the kind that gets you hard but you're too ashamed to fap. Its the only way I can stay up.
Um0C3.gif

Nils said:
Unfortunately you have to be psychic to cruise past Ryu and Akuma's beams.
Stupid things come out in the blink of an eye. I can't input a dp motion that fast! :(

sephi22

Jintor said:
You're a weird chap sephi
why not take up painting instead
Shut up. Kyosuke's about to close in with Nanami.
This shit is more interesting than MLP.

SmithnCo said:
But we kinda knew when the reveals would be, you probably could've slept and set an alarm or something, lol.
True, but the reveals aren't the main reason I'm up. My body clock's effed and I've been sleeping at 6 in the morning and getting up at 4 in the evening. After the reveals I'ma sleep for 12 hours straight and hopefully wake up a changed man.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Did Capcom really confirm that in 2 hours we'll have the trailers? XD

Becquerel said:

Hard to get hype when I've barely slept and am current in class -__-;

Give me an hour and I'll be overloaded with hype though.

SmithnCo

Mpl90 said:

We're assuming they'll be at 8 PST I think.

Capcom's email said Trick or Treat so they have to happen eventually.... RIGHT?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mpl90 said:
No, but eidrian did, and he's like Capcom, but he talks more!

I may not even get to watch the trailers until several hours after the reveal because of a midterm I have and am currently ferociously studying for. feelsbadman.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
ReiGun said:
Um0C3.gif

Stupid things come out in the blink of an eye. I can't input a dp motion that fast! :(

You can't beat them unless you did the input right before the flash. WXP has a 6 frame startup, but I hear it's gotten faster in Ultimate.

Working on another avatar myself. I've got several on the backburner, but the one I'm working on is one of my most likely ones down the road.
Nemesis556 said:
This just seems stupid. >_>
Go with the flow, mang.

or the tentacles in this case
enzo_gt said:
No, but eidrian did, and he's like Capcom, but he talks more!
Also, less trolling.
Nemesis556 said:
It's getting pretty ridiculous, I admit. Imagine if this were the Phoenix Wright reveal trailer!
Imagine if this were Jin, CapCom or Megaman X.

Top Bottom