• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN Shelter in Gaza is hit by Israeli rocket fire leaving several people dead/injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
Hamas is clearly to blame for the human shields employed by the UN shelter, so it is not really a war crime.

Its not clicking that the human shields aren't just the problem. Its the lack of preventing deaths since they are fully aware of human shields. If the only answer is blowing up children over a small % chance that a rocket hits a person, the UN has to step in.

When all Israel can do, much like any child, is blame the other child, the adults have to step in to clear things up. Because children can't resolve most issues without moderation of those who know whats best.

Whats best for people not to die, is for Israel's results of civilian death to be reduced. Yes, we are aware of the blame game. Yep, fully aware. We can all hear it, and see them pointing fingers at eachother.

They are both to blame.

BTW, did israel order to bulldoze those israeli criminals homes yet?

tumblr_n5gezpmfgy1r1juiro1_250.gif

He hammed that scene up so bad. It's striking when you first see it, but it becomes laughable in later viewings.

Hamas is clearly to blame for the human shields employed by the UN shelter, so it is not really a war crime.

Do you blame the criminal hiding in the basement of a house with a family upstairs and the police drops a bomb on the house or do you blame the police for dropping the bomb on the family where the criminal also was hiding in the basement. Please note, that JUST like a Gaza civilians cannot leave Gaza because Israel is not allowing them, the family cannot leave the house because the police would not allow them.

Now...tell me who is at fault, the criminal or the police.

ASIS

I just saw that scene again yesterday and it was still pretty great.

Same.

On topic, this massacre needs to stop. Such sad news.

EDIT:

Syria lost 1,700 people in one week, Jordan is the middle of a refugee crisis, Iraq is literally fracturing and Egyptian government is purging the state. Everybody is fucked.
By Arab it means Gulf Arabs. It's a shame but Isreal has been doing a lot of crimes since its inception. As an arab I would say that it's a pretty accurate portrayal.

LNBL

Live images on tv of people throwing rocks and fireworks across the street at Israeli soldiers. Not sure where this is yet

Jackpot

Banned
Seeing news outlets trying to defend this is like watching someone trying to defend Assad during the outbreak of Syria's civil war. That's how twisted this regime is.

s9G1kWI.png

OR

qlEc3Yj.png

I wonder who I should belive

It's possible to believe both. Remember the form taken by IDF 'warnings' and that the IDF doesn't mention the requests for safe windows to evacuate hundreds of children from a part of Gaza under siege. It's a twisted way of telling the truth, when you say you 'warned' someone, without giving them a fair chance of survival otherwise.

Enough is enough, this conflict needs to end. And the US needs to stop supporting this illegitimate leadership of Israel.

I don't know if it'll be any help, but I just sent e-mails to both senators of my state.

werks

Banned
http://www.idfblog.com/blog/2014/07/24/hamas/

In recent days, Hamas has fired rockets from an area of Beit Hanoun where an UNRWA shelter is located. Last night, the Israel Defense Forces told the Red Cross to evacuate civilians from UNRWA’s shelter in Beit Hanoun between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. today. UNRWA and the Red Cross received the message.

Hamas prevented civilians from evacuating the area during the window that the IDF gave them.

Today, July 24, Hamas continued firing from Beit Hanoun. The IDF responded by targeting the source of the fire. Also today, several rockets launched from Gaza toward Israel fell short and hit Beit Hanoun.

So according to the IDF, civilians could evacuate from 10 AM to 2 PM. Hamas prevented the evacuation. IDF and Hamas fired at each other and something happened.

One slight fucking problem. The IDF attack on the shelter happened at 9:45 AM. and UNRWA clearly states that the IDF prevented evacuation. If we believe that the IDF told them to evacuate at 10 AM, it makes it even worse. It means the IDF deliberately attacked before civilians could evacuate.

And for those that are questioning the fact that IDF has attacked the shelter.

So according to the IDF, civilians could evacuate from 10 AM to 2 PM. Hamas prevented the evacuation. IDF and Hamas fired at each other and something happened.

One slight fucking problem. The IDF attack on the shelter happened at 9:45 AM. and UNRWA clearly states that the IDF prevented evacuation. If we believe that the IDF told them to evacuate at 10 AM, it makes it even worse. It means the IDF deliberately attacked before civilians could evacuate.

Sadly the mainstream media will only pick up IDF side of the story, and will not do the due dilligence you just did.

When it comes to Israel. The Democrats become the GOP. the GOP becomes the Tea Party.

wow

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/...rats-bill-iron-dome-109286.html#ixzz38PpRAlEE

Democrats are daring Republicans to oppose a border bill that includes aid to Israel during its increasingly heated conflict with Hamas.
As the simmering battle in Gaza reached its boiling point last week, the Israeli government turned to its strongest ally: The United States. And the White House was happy to oblige, relaying a request to Senate Democrats late last week to ask for more money for Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense program, according to congressional sources familiar with the request.

On Tuesday, Senate Democrats responded by slipping $225 million into its emergency funding package for the migrant crisis at the border, demonstrating the political might of Israel and putting pressure on the GOP in one fell swoop.

But for now, most Republicans aren’t biting. In interviews, GOP lawmakers said that while they support aiding the Israeli missile defense system, it doesn’t have to be paired with the border fix being sought by President Barack Obama.
“There’s strong support for that program and we can put it on any bill. You could bring it to the floor by itself and it would pass overwhelmingly,” said Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).
House Republicans released border recommendations on Wednesday but said nothing about Israel — an issue that unites most GOP lawmakers on both sides of the Capitol.

How low can you go?

Dai101

Banned
I don't really know how trustful is this site but going to post it anyway:

Israeli agency bans radio clip naming children killed in Gaza

Calling material 'politically controversial,' Israel Broadcasting Authority refuses to run item by B’Tselem human rights group.

The Israel Broadcasting Authority banned a radio broadcast made by the human rights organization B’Tselem about children killed in Gaza, claiming its content was “politically controversial.”

On Wednesday the IBA again censored the clip, after considering B’Tselem’s appeal against the decision.

The clip, submitted a few days ago, says children have been killed in the fighting in Gaza and mentions a few of their names. The IBA said it was politically controversial and it does not allow clips of a political character.

B’Tselem wrote in its appeal that since the news programs don’t broadcast the names of the Palestinian fatalities – contrary to the IBA’s own rules — the organization offered to pay to air its clips.

B’Tselem asked what was controversial about the item. “Is it controversial that the children [aren’t] alive? That they’re children? That those are their names? These are facts that we wish to bring to the public’s knowledge.”

“So far more than 600 people have been killed in bombings in Gaza, more than 150 of them children. But apart from a brief report on the number of fatalities, the Israeli media refrains from covering them,” B’Tselem said yesterday.

“IBA says broadcasting the children’s names is politically controversial,” B’Tselem said. “But refusing to do so is in itself a far reaching statement – it says the huge price being paid by civilians in Gaza, many of them children, must be censored.”

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-gaza-conflict-2014/1.606908

Dehumanize the victims so they don't mean nothing but just another number......

LNBL

Ok. So if I am listening correctly. The Israeli Army has blocked off entry into Al - Aqsa mosque for the Palestinians. The Palestinians want to go pray there tonight, as it is a holy night in Ramadan. I'm reading some 70.000 protesters are on foot atm (Not confirmed) and I already saw some people being dragged away with severe injuries on live tv. Palestinians armed with stones and fireworks, which they are throwing to the side of the IDF.

BtValkuCMAACMez.jpg

I don't really know how trustful is this site but going to post it anyway:

Israeli agency bans radio clip naming children killed in Gaza

Calling material 'politically controversial,' Israel Broadcasting Authority refuses to run item by B’Tselem human rights group.

The Israel Broadcasting Authority banned a radio broadcast made by the human rights organization B’Tselem about children killed in Gaza, claiming its content was “politically controversial.”

On Wednesday the IBA again censored the clip, after considering B’Tselem’s appeal against the decision.

The clip, submitted a few days ago, says children have been killed in the fighting in Gaza and mentions a few of their names. The IBA said it was politically controversial and it does not allow clips of a political character.

B’Tselem wrote in its appeal that since the news programs don’t broadcast the names of the Palestinian fatalities – contrary to the IBA’s own rules — the organization offered to pay to air its clips.

B’Tselem asked what was controversial about the item. “Is it controversial that the children [aren’t] alive? That they’re children? That those are their names? These are facts that we wish to bring to the public’s knowledge.”

“So far more than 600 people have been killed in bombings in Gaza, more than 150 of them children. But apart from a brief report on the number of fatalities, the Israeli media refrains from covering them,” B’Tselem said yesterday.

“IBA says broadcasting the children’s names is politically controversial,” B’Tselem said. “But refusing to do so is in itself a far reaching statement – it says the huge price being paid by civilians in Gaza, many of them children, must be censored.”

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-gaza-conflict-2014/1.606908

Dehumanize the victims so they don't mean nothing but just another number......

Haaretz is a major newspaper so its legit

Ok. So if I am listening correctly. The Israeli Army has blocked off entry into Al - Aqsa mosque for the Palestinians. The Palestinians want to go pray there tonight, as it is a holy night in Ramadan. I'm reading some 70.000 protesters are on foot atm (Not confirmed) and I already saw some people being dragged away with severe injuries on live tv. Palestinians armed with stones and fireworks, which they are throwing to the side of the IDF.

BtValkuCMAACMez.jpg
70k seems like an exceptionally high number. But the situation seems to have the trappings of a 3rd intifada. Hoping it doesnt escalate.

BtValkuCMAACMez.jpg

This seems like a pretty blatant attempt to get some good footage of angry Palestinians throwing stones to shop around the news networks over the next few days.

Despera

Banned
We shall bomb your house, please take shelter*

*technically the shelter becomes your home now so it shall be bombed as well.

LNBL

This seems like a pretty blatant attempt to get some good footage of angry Palestinians throwing stones to shop around the news networks over the next few days.

70k seems like an exceptionally high number. But the situation seems to have the trappings of a 3rd intifada. Hoping it doesnt escalate.

Again, i'm not certain its 70k, thats the number that i'm reading online. I'll try pick up a number from the live coverage if they mention it. From what i'm reading it's also not common for them to close the mosque during this night, this was last year.
BtVeESNCMAEdvbZ.jpg

For those who want to know what this holy night is about:

Laylat al-Qadr (Arabic: لیلة القدر‎) (also known as Shab-e-Qadr , loaned from Persian), variously rendered in English as the Night of Destiny, Night of Power, Night of Value, the Night of Decree or Night of Measures. It is the anniversary of two very important dates in Islam that occurred in the month of Ramadan. It is the anniversary of the night Muslims believe the first verses of the Quran were revealed to the Islamic prophet Muhammad. This night is told to be around the last ten days on Ramadan. Its a night where Muslims believe that God blesses everyone, and forgive all sins, accept all prayers as you wish, and the angels come down. This night is usually thought to be on 23rd (as per fatimid) or 25th or 27th of Ramadan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laylat_al-Qadr

King_Moc

Banned

And the western media won't care. Ramadan is a Muslim occasion, and therefore they are all clearly terrorists, right?

Good investigation. The IDF continues to sicken me.

CNN is making sure the headline says its unclear who was behind the attack. I am sure they will update it once its no longer the headline. Gah US media makes me so mad.

Joni

Its not clicking that the human shields aren't just the problem. Its the lack of preventing deaths since they are fully aware of human shields. If the only answer is blowing up children over a small % chance that a rocket hits a person, the UN has to step in.

When all Israel can do, much like any child, is blame the other child, the adults have to step in to clear things up. Because children can't resolve most issues without moderation of those who know whats best.

Whats best for people not to die, is for Israel's results of civilian death to be reduced. Yes, we are aware of the blame game. Yep, fully aware. We can all hear it, and see them pointing fingers at eachother.

They are both to blame.

BTW, did israel order to bulldoze those israeli criminals homes yet?

Do you blame the criminal hiding in the basement of a house with a family upstairs and the police drops a bomb on the house or do you blame the police for dropping the bomb on the family where the criminal also was hiding in the basement. Please note, that JUST like a Gaza civilians cannot leave Gaza because Israel is not allowing them, the family cannot leave the house because the police would not allow them.

Now...tell me who is at fault, the criminal or the police.

You know the situation is bad when sarcastic responses to the UN can look like genuine comments.

How can supporters of Israel think that Israel's current strategy of bi-annual warfare and collective punsishment ensures its long term future and security in the region?. Should this pattern continue, 40, 50 years from now Israel will be a pariah state, like South Africa was in the late 80s and 90s and even the US would struggle to shield it from the consequences of being an international outcast.

From the Washington Post:

When asked if Israel suspected the U.N. school was being used a storage facility by Hamas for rockets and other weapons, Lerner replied: “The school was not a target in any way.” The United Nations reported in recent days that rockets belonging to the militants had been found in two other U.N. schools used as shelters for Palestinian refugees.

Israel’s military, Lerner said, had urged the United Nations and the International Committee for the Red Cross three days ago to evacuate the school because the militants were active there and “had no regard for civilian lives” or “international structures.” Israel’s military also informed the organizations that they would be launching operations there as well.

“But they didn’t comply,” said Lerner. “We do not target schools, and we do not target the U.N.”
(Shells hit U.N.-run school sheltering evacuees in Gaza Strip)

How can supporters of Israel think that Israel's current strategy of bi-annual warfare and collective punsishment ensures its long term future and security in the region?. Should this pattern continue, 40, 50 years from now Israel will be a pariah state, like South Africa was in the late 80s and 90s and even the US would struggle to shield it from the consequences of being an international outcast.

Not if it is a wealthy and powerful country.

At the end of the day, this crisis shows you that money/power control everything. Western world/media couldn't give two shits about the fate of Gazans if they have billions in trade contracts and agreements with Israel.

Not if it is a wealthy and powerful country.

At the end of the day, this crisis shows you that money/power control everything. Western world/media couldn't give two shits about the fate of Gazans if they have billions in trade contracts and agreements with Israel.

South Africa was wealthy and powerful and, like Israel, possessed nuclear weapons. The western world/media didnt give a damn about the black people living in squalor in the Bantustans. But the South African government's time still ran out. The apartheid regime crumbled.

werks

Banned
That doesn't make any sense. Why attack it now if Hamas shot rockets from there days ago?

Did they think Hamas were just hanging around there waiting to be bombed?
Because it's a lie. Every civilian death has been because of Hamas if you believe the IDF.

So they knowingly attacked a shelter hours before they allowed civilians to evacuate.

Because it's a lie. Every civilian death has been because of Hamas if you believe the IDF.

So they knowingly attacked a shelter hours before they allowed civilians to evacuate.

This will be interesting to see if it's picked up by any news outlet and if they are called on it.

nib95

Banned
That doesn't make any sense. Why attack it now if Hamas shot rockets from there days ago?

Did they think Hamas were just hanging around there waiting to be bombed?

The IDF rarely makes sense. So much random propaganda that so often stinks of bullshit. Earlier they were claiming they were Hamas fired rockets no?

Anyway, today is Laylat Al Qadr. A holy night for Muslims. If Al Aqsa is closed off, I can see there being major tensions.

LNBL

Israel’s military spokesman has said that Hamas had been firing rockets from the Beit Hanoun earlier in the day. In a briefing Thursday afternoon, he said Israel was investigating the possibility that one of the Hamas rockets misfired, hitting the school.
By Thursday evening, Israeli officials had released a statement confirming that Israeli shells had hit the building. They said that the Israeli army had been engaged in intense firefights in the area at the time of the deadly incident, and added that Israeli officials had been in touch with the U.N. on the previous day to coordinate evacuating the civilians from the U.N. school.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafrenkel/at-least-13-palestinians-were-killed-inside-the-un-school-wh

The IDF rarely makes sense. So much random propaganda that so often stinks of bullshit. Earlier they were claiming they were Hamas fired rockets no?

Anyway, today is Laylat Al Qadr. A holy night for Muslims. If Al Aqsa is closed off, I can see there being major tensions.

does it really matter anymore? even if israel bombs and kills everyone who is protesting, no government will give a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom