• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves new pics

nib95

Banned
I cannot believe how incredible this game looks. 09 is going to be quite the visual tour de force for the PS3.

Azzwanker

Banned
De-mon said:
108768_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108763_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108764_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108765_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

108762_uncharted-2--among-thieves.jpg

mru3xt.jpg

2n5dmd.jpg

3538ffs.jpg

http://bloodworthgt.gametrailers.com/gamepad/

Jezus dude this is FCKING AMAZING

Once again, GAF forgets what a "bullshot" is.
Pristine_Condition said:
Please keep up with the thread before posting this "bullshots" nonsense, ok?
If the screen has more AA than the actual game, it is still technically a "bullshot".
Ballistictiger said:
Uncharted 1 looks better on tv then the bullshots.
In motion, of course. Actual screen grabs, no. Taking a photo of the tv, then shrinking it to less than 720p will naturally create additional anti-aliasing not present in the actual game.
lowrider007 said:
So does anyone have a definitive answer that goes beyond speculation as to whether these are bull shots or not ?
They are technically bullshots if they are captures with higher AA than the game will have. We have no reason to doubt that these are the actual in-game assets, though.
bullshots=/=target renders

Now that this anal-retentive, technicality junk is out of my system, OMFG WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES I CAN'T BELIEVE IT UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!!
angry.gif

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
So does anyone have a definitive answer that goes beyond speculation as to whether these are bull shots or not ?

itxaka

Defeatist
Fuck, that first shot on the snow looks fuckawesome. I <3 ND, they are awesome. No shit they were sharing tech with other ps3 developers, they sure got knowledge on the ps3-

deepbrown said:
Yep. That'd be Arne of ND. They aren't bullshots - we know they aren't, because Uncharted's first screens were just the same. I believe, they might be taken in a higher-res and then downsampled (like all press shots and hence the less amount of jaggies.) - does that count as a bullshot?

No. The Uncharted screens are NOT "Bullshots" They are high Rez shots, made for magazine print.

This
gears_of_war1.jpg

Is a Bullshot

dfyb

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Once again, GAF forgets what a "bullshot" is.

If the screen has more AA than the actual game, it is still technically a "bullshot".

In motion, of course. Actual screen grabs, no. Taking a photo of the tv, then shrinking it to less than 720p will naturally create additional anti-aliasing not present in the actual game.

They are technically bullshots if they are captures with higher AA than the game will have. We have no reason to doubt that these are the actual in-game assets, though.
bullshots=/=target renders

Now that this anal-retentive, technicality junk is out of my system, OMFG WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES I CAN'T BELIEVE IT UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!!
angry.gif
well, some games take it a step further and terminology can adapt to an extent. games like gears will release 'screenshots' using in-game assets, but basically fabricate the image. and then games like halo 3 will do more than simply increasing AA in the 'screenshot' feature.

those are examples of modern bullshots.

if it's just increasing AA, i'd call it a screenshot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Trailblazer said:
No. The Uncharted screens are NOT "Bullshots" They are high Rez shots, made for magazine print.

Thishttp://scr3.golem.de/screenshots/0505/gears_of_war_xbox360/gears_of_war1.jpg[/MG]

Is a Bullshot[/QUOTE]
Was this really necessary!?

God damn it.

JCreasy

My true dream at this point is that some how ND manages to get a writer from LOST to help them craft the story.

The story in the first Uncharted was a little weak. I was never truly clear on what Nathan Drake's true motivation was. Was it finding the truth about Sir Francis Drake or finding treasure and getting rich? All of the above? Either way, his interest in both seemed to trail off by the end of the game.

I didn't even realize Nathan Drake is supposed to be a treasure "thief" until I watched the interview on gametrailers and the new director explicitly said so. I always thought he was a archeologist/academic, and Sully was this shady guy that has some how attached himself to Drake and truly wants treasure for the money. It was just never clear to me that Nathan Drake was interested in riches. Even at the end he seemed mildly amused that Sully had gotten a way with a boat load of treasure.

I think a trained storyteller can do a better job of giving the characters in Uncharted 2 clear motivations throughout the game. I think adding this to the list of priorities will boost the movie-like experience ND obviously hopes to engineer with this game.

Rez>You said:
Was this really necessary!?

God damn it.

I'm Not trolling, I'm just making a point. These Uncharted Screens are NOT bullshots. Their in-game, just captured at a very High Rez, just like all magazine prints.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
dfyb said:
if it's just increasing AA, i'd call it a screenshot.

But if they are using higher resolution pictures then downsizing them naturally eliminates the aliasing, it's not like they artificially added extra AA, so I'd say that these shots aren't bull shots at all if that's the case.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
JCreasy said:
My true dream at this point is that some how ND manages to get a writer from LOST to help them craft the story.

The story in the first Uncharted was a little weak. I was never truly clear on what Nathan Drake's true motivation was. Was it finding the truth about Sir Francis Drake or finding treasure and getting rich? All of the above? Either way, his interest in both seemed to trail off by the end of the game.

I didn't even realize Nathan Drake is supposed to be a treasure "thief" until I watched the interview on gametrailers and the new director explicitly said so. I always thought he was a archeologist/academic, and Sully was this shady guy that has some how attached himself to Drake and truly wants treasure for the money. It was just never clear to me that Nathan Drake was interested in riches. Even at the end he seemed mildly amused that Sully had gotten a way with a boat load of treasure.

I think a trained storyteller can do a better job of giving the characters in Uncharted 2 clear motivations throughout the game. I think adding this to the list of priorities will boost the movie-like experience ND obviously hopes to engineer with this game.
I'd guess that Uncharted 2 has already been written. It probably has been for a long time now.

Personally, I thought ND did a fantastic job with Uncharted. It didn't pretend to be something it's not, it was just a fun, summer blockbuster style plot that was paced really well throughout. I'll be happy with something of a comparable quality.

lowrider007 said:
All arne said is that they're very much not target renders. He did not say that this is the amount of AA that'll be applied in-game. I completely doubt it. If it is, that will be one of the greatest technical achievements in years.

Even without the print-ready AA, the game will be gorgeous.

itxaka

Defeatist
Trailblazer said:
I'm Not trolling, I'm just making a point. These Uncharted Screens are NOT bullshots. Their in-game, just captured at a very High Rez, just like all magazine prints.

Actually, if they capture it at high resolution and then resize them down, they are bullshots as a lot of jaggies and such are diminished and the picture does not reflect an actual framebuffer grab from the running game.

I now the game is gonna be looking awesome, and in motion is gonna look better than that, but fi they are high screens they are bullshots.

Salazar

JCreasy said:
My true dream at this point is that some how ND manages to get a writer from LOST to help them craft the story. The story in the first Uncharted was a little weak.

The LOST writers are your storytelling dream-team ? Fuck

DrPirate

Banned
JCreasy said:

Complain about the story and then suggest getting someone from Lost to help?

I dunno but I stopped watching that show because the story is absolutely batshit insane. I don't know if it wants me to take it seriously or as a joke. I know it's 100% pure fiction, but come the fuck on. It seems the writers wrote themselves into a whole so they'll thatch together bullshit with bullshit.

Get a novelist, get a scriptwriter with decent credentials, hell, use the writers that work there now and just have them think about it some more, but for the love of Christ don't use the writers from Lost.

Edit: and you speak about Uncharted needing clarity AND YOUR BRING UP THE LOST WRITERS. PLEASE. You could have just begged for Uncharted to have a single flashback.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
deepbrown said:
Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge?

I thought noone liked the ME story...

Overlord too.

Story in Overlord and HS is pretty good, dunno about Mirror's Edge, didn't care for the game after the demo.

-Winnie-

Stealth seems to play a big part in Uncharted 2, so I wonder how many kinds of moves Nate will have when sneaking. Obviously it won't be on the level of MGS, but it'd be nice to have some depth.

lowrider007 said:

Probably not. I have been playing Uncharted lately and I am still floored at how good the game looks. Still arguably the best looking game of this generation imo and that is saying alot between two HD consoles. So, imagine if ND are really utilizing the full potential out of the PS3. Scary stuff. I think they will get disturbingly close to these screenshots.

They are bullshots for the simple reason it's not gonna look exactly like that on you telly but let's face it. Uncharted still looks fucking amazing so it does not really matter :lol

Uncharted 2 indubely better visuals are just icing on a already pretty damned well iced cake.

As long as they don't fuck up the gameplay with some new idea that does not pan out or something it's gonna be a great game. (no water ski upp waterfalls with evil exploding barrels while enemies shoot at you plz)

deepbrown

PuppetSlave said:
They are bullshots for the simple reason it's not gonna look exactly like that on you telly but let's face it. Uncharted still looks fucking amazing so it does not really matter :lol

Uncharted 2 indubely better visuals are just icing on a already pretty damned well iced cake.

As long as they don't fuck up the gameplay with some new idea that does not pan out or something it's gonna be a great game. (no water ski upp waterfalls with evil exploding barrels while enemies shoot at you plz)
That was awesome...because it had auto aim - so you could shoot and drive at the same time. The previous one was bad cause you had to stop to shoot :)

Edi: apoligises for saying awesome.

Mohonky

lowrider007 said:
But if they are using higher resolution pictures then downsizing them naturally eliminates the aliasing, it's not like they artificially added extra AA, so I'd say that these shots aren't bull hots at all if that's the case.

As far as I'm concerned, unless thats exactly what I'm going to be seeing on screen during gameplay, it's a bullshot.

Resized, touched up, extra AA etc etc.

deepbrown said:
That was awesome...because it had auto aim - so you could shoot and drive at the same time. The previous one was bad cause you had to stop to shoot :)

Edi: apoligises for saying awesome.

I never thought of using blind fire for the barrels... Now I really feel stupid because I replayed the game just earlier this week and had trouble with that section... Again...

Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Lince

Banned
ok now the bullshots apologists and coop cry babies brigades are in, not a single PS3 game is safe anymore.

FirewalkR

Oh wow, I've playing Crysis on my newly upgraded PC (z0mg it's teh NOTHING touches it) and the last few days I've been thinking that nothing can awe me in the current consoles anymore. This impresses me a hell of a lot though. Naughty God rules. :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
People were calling the original Uncharted-screens bullshots. ND proved them wrong.
People were calling Killzone 2-screens bullshots. GG proved them wrong.

And now people are calling the Uncharted 2-screens bullshots...

*sigh* when will it end?

Remember the greatest purp of bullshots in the history of everything bullshots:
NG_madden_nextgen.jpg

McBacon said:
Screw you! Elena is way cooler than this chikorita will ever be!

Elena standing in the same room as this new girl is going to look like Lindsay Lohan standing next to Samantha Ronson.

lindsay_lohan-samantha-ronson.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
neorej said:
People were calling the original Uncharted-screens bullshots. ND proved them wrong.
People were calling Killzone 2-screens bullshots. GG proved them wrong.

And now people are calling the Uncharted 2-screens bullshots...

*sigh* when will it end?

Remember the greatest purp of bullshots in the history of everything bullshots:
[g]http://www.wiicafe.com/news/media/staff/Images/NG_madden_nextgen.jpg[/img]

Read up again. High resolution pics resized are bullshots because it smooths the image. Is not like we are not gonna see the final product get better like the first one, but the images are technically bullshots as they are not direct framebuffer grabs at the output resolution.

Did they revealed the launch date? Any word about a demo? damn...I gonna play the first one again rigth now.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
PuppetMaster said:
I'm saying I want to see them make out
I think I'd pass on that one (Ronson/Lohan), despite being a fan of girl-on-girl-action. Sophie Howard making out with Lucy Pinder, now THAT'S hot.

deepbrown

itxaka said:
Read up again. High resolution pics resized are bullshots because it smooths the image. Is not like we are not gonna see the final product get better like the first one, but the images are technically bullshots as they are not direct framebuffer grabs at the output resolution.

Did they revealed the launch date? Any word about a demo? damn...I gonna play the first one again rigth now.
The definition of BULLSHOT is not very well-defined. Some make it sound like it's that they are pre-rendered/target renders.

It's also quite an insult to say the word - like the developer is deliberately lying.

It's much better to say that the pics are downsampled.

wouwie

I was convinced that the snow screenshot was concept art. Damn...

All the screens look absolutely superb. The textures look amazing. My most anticipated game ever (yes, i mean ever).

Top Bottom