• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves |OT2|

Atruvius

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’ve always wanted to ask this since I’ve never gotten into – just how good is the multiplayer and is it still active?
It is really good. It has about 44 000 daily players. Yesterday played it and noticed some annoying lag and people usually vote against dlc maps. Explosive power weapons and wall hack booster makes me frustrated.

Atruvius said:
It is really good. It has about 44 000 daily players. Yesterday played it and noticed some annoying lag and people usually vote against dlc maps. Explosive power weapons and wall hack booster makes me frustrated.

It seems like it’s still alive and well. I think it’s time to let Red Faction Guerrilla go for a while. After I play through both campaigns for Uncharted 1 and 2 I'll start to get into this! Hopefully I won’t get completely crushed!

RaGe_pt

Tricky I Shadow said:
It seems like it’s still alive and well. I think it’s time to let Red Faction Guerrilla go for a while. After I play through both campaigns for Uncharted 1 and 2 I'll start to get into this! Hopefully I won’t get completely crushed!

I've been playing it everyday, it's still pretty active. Lots of players and it's a great experience...

KAL2006

Banned
One thing I like about Uncharted 2 online is it's noob friendly, I don't get destroyed like when I play other online shooters like COD, Killzone and etc.

Yesterday I kick ass, today the opposite... What the hell!

Then again, it was 8 am when I started so everyone playing was probably from reasonable hours elsewhere in the world lagging the shit out of the game. Weapon pickups were so delayed.

ShogunX

Been playing the multiplayer over the past few days for the first time ever and it's pretty good. I would say there are one or two glaring issues with the online like how much people use melee as a crutch for an easy kill. Another problem is the jumping around like a deer when somebody gets injured - I've started doing it myself and its very effective but also ridiculous.

Hopefully they fix the melee for Uncharted 3 and takeaway the lock on effect it has.

T-0800

Why do I regulary have to unistall the latest update to stop UC2 from locking up when it first loads? Very frustrating.

Shanks

Is there a trick to get into more Co op games that are not on easy or normal? I finally unlocked hard and it never seems to get selected. I can't even get to crushing to unlock the trophy. It seems like I can set a preference but is there just an overwhelming majority that leave it on easy or something?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Shanks said:
but is there just an overwhelming majority that leave it on easy or something?
Unfortunately yes. That's why it's better if you play it with friends. You can host the match, do a custom co-op session and pick whatever difficulty you want and map of your choice.

I have never once gotten paired up with a group of randoms that had it in Crushing. It's always Easy or Normal. I don't know why they couldn't make it so that matchmaking only looks for people who are willing to play the difficulty option you have chosen. I hope that for Uncharted 3, it will filter it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Shanks said:
Is there a trick to get into more Co op games that are not on easy or normal? I finally unlocked hard and it never seems to get selected. I can't even get to crushing to unlock the trophy. It seems like I can set a preference but is there just an overwhelming majority that leave it on easy or something?
Yes, find two other people and do it as party cause you're gonna have a really hard time finding a group to do it with using matchmaking.

Shanks

Rewrite said:
Unfortunately yes. That's why it's better if you play it with friends. You can host the match, do a custom co-op session and pick whatever difficulty you want and map of your choice.

I have never once gotten paired up with a group of randoms that had it in Crushing. It's always Easy or Normal. I don't know why they couldn't make it so that matchmaking only looks for people who are willing to play the difficulty option you have chosen. I hope that for Uncharted 3, it will filter it.

So what are my options if I have no friends.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Shanks said:
1) Add people who are willing to play with you on here or through the Naughty Dog forums.
2) Hope that matchmaking picks up a set of randoms that won't have it on easy or normal.
3) Never complete it on Hard or Crushing because matchmaking hates all of us.

EDIT:

BTW, heads up to anyone:

Uncharted 2 GOTY Edition is $20 at Best Buy.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Got back into the multiplayer for this after the beta and it's reminding me how much fun I had last time. Does no-one play team-objectives though?

It's hard as hell getting into a match for anything other than deathmatch.

FinalD

Shanks said:
I still play the game online and willing to aid with co-op so you can add me if you like/are desperate. PM me for PSN ID. Timezone = UTC+1 (+1)

Of course it's not cool to play with a newbie so I won't tell NeoGAF about it if you do ;)

FWIW: I did manage to complete all three missions on crushing and all other co-op games included in the DLC's, but you pretty much need a third person for all missions (unless you're a god or something).

RichardAM said:
Got back into the multiplayer for this after the beta and it's reminding me how much fun I had last time. Does no-one play team-objectives though?

It's hard as hell getting into a match for anything other than deathmatch.
I usually play 'All competitive types' and although most of the time it means deathmatch I also play a fair amount of Plunder/KotH/etc. Also Plunder only usually gets me a match pretty fast.

Been playing a bit of multiplayer again. I really used to enjoy it but it has been messed up by all these fuckers......

-Using plunder as a means to get kills. People who just guard the treasure and not score need to just start playing arena.

-People using the stupid ass treasure pickup glitch to run light speed with the treasure. Bastards.

-It is STILL possible to glitch and dissapear into a wall, killing people from there... WTF Naughty Dog?!

The glitches better be impossible or fixed fast in 3 or the MP will be fucked up like UC 2's, fast.

Oh yeah and where the hell is my Hammer's only an multiplier LAB??

hyped to play this, yes I'm lttp, just beat Uncharted 1 2 weeks ago

I'll comment further if the updates ever actually download..im at 2 out of 9 done after 30 minutes..on a 50 meg connection

GodfatherX said:
hyped to play this, yes I'm lttp, just beat Uncharted 1 2 weeks ago

I'll comment further if the updates ever actually download..im at 2 out of 9 done after 30 minutes..on a 50 meg connection

Make sure you have lots of extra underwear

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ShinHayase said:
Oh yeah and where the hell is my Hammer's only an multiplier LAB??
It's been abandoned. I'll be surprised if Naughty Dog ever have any labs going on in the future.

GodfatherX, you are in for an amazing fucking ride. Post your impressions!

Flavius

Late to the party on this one. Picked it up a few months ago, but just got around to finishing up the last 8 campaigns or so today.

I really, really enjoyed it. Final scene with Drake & Elena sealed the deal. Honestly, not sure that I've witnessed a more touching conclusion to a game...the characters and story resonated with me just that much.

Amy Hennig and the Naughty Dog folks fucking rock. Can't wait to play UC3!

Cruzader

Banned
Flavius said:
Late to the party on this one. Picked it up a few months ago, but just got around to finishing up the last 8 campaigns or so today.

I really, really enjoyed it. Final scene with Drake & Elena sealed the deal. Honestly, not sure that I've witnessed a more touching conclusion to a game...the characters and story resonated with me just that much.

Seriously, that last scene blows my mind how well it was done. Its hard for me to have memorable moments/scenes from any media and the ending for UC2 is just amazing.

Btw just yesterday, I think, I finally got the Platinum as Im getting ready for UC3!!!!! First trophy I got when it came out in 2009, the last one, 2 years later LOL.

Flavius said:

WTF man. You're late to the party....

So where the hell is your "overrated" comments and "graphics are so-so" compared to your favorite game? Nothing about Drake's murderous globe trot?

I kid. Love reading posts like your's. Can't wait for 3.

Flavius

MoonsaultSlayer said:
WTF man. You're late to the party....

So where the hell is your "overrated" comments and "graphics are so-so" compared to your favorite game? Nothing about Drake's murderous globe trot?

I kid. Love reading posts like your's. Can't wait for 3.

Beautiful graphics, and absolutely deserving of the praise it received.

And not to rekindle old debates, but I wonder how many of the folks who genuinely had a problem with Drake killing so many NPCs while cracking wise are fans knowledgeable of the source material that so obviously inspired him? Indy did it, as did the long-forgotten stars of the Saturday morning serial adventures before him. The game doesn't celebrate death. The camera doesn't linger on a violent, bloody explosion of gore, followed by some gruesome, headless corpse, falling into a heap. If it did, I'm sure I'd have issues with it, but as it is, it didn't detract from my experience one iota.

Ricky_R

Flavius said:
Beautiful graphics, and absolutely deserving of the praise it received.

And not to rekindle old debates, but I wonder how many of the folks who genuinely had a problem with Drake killing so many NPCs while cracking wise are fans knowledgeable of the source material that so obviously inspired him? Indy did it, as did the long-forgotten stars of the Saturday morning serial adventures before him. The game doesn't celebrate death. The camera doesn't linger on a violent, bloody explosion of gore, followed by some gruesome, headless corpse, falling into a heap. If it did, I'm sure I'd have issues with it, but as it is, it didn't detract from my experience one iota.

You sure we don't have the same genes? :D

Rikyfree

Massa said:
/rant time

Alright, so with the free DLC for PS+ I went back to this game's MP today.

First match is completely uneven with a bunch high level people using shotguns and the see through walls cheat on the other team. In any other game I would have left this pointless match, but to avoid losing 40k I stick around having a terrible time for the 5 minutes or so it takes the other team to completely obliterate us.

So for the next match the game doesn't start. I quit and almost say "screw this" but no, I decided to try it one more time. And what do I get when I log in again? "You just lost 40k because we haven't bothered to fix this bug" or something like that.

Fuck this shit. I'm glad Uncharted 3 will have an online pass so I can give it away and force myself to completely avoid it.

/rantover

Well, bye. Lol, I'm just messing with you. I know how you feel, but U3 multi, that which I have played, is SOOOO better than U2. But to each their own.

Himself

Event though the thread is mainly multiplayer discussion (or dead) at this point, I figured I'd ask. Just how crushing is Crushing? I'm looking for a good challenge but don't want to drive myself mad. If I die more than say 10 times in a given area, I'll be driven mad.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Crushing is easy. Way easier than the first Uncharted's Crushing. There's only 3 areas where you'll probably have trouble in, but if you take cover, aim for headshots, you will be OK. Try to get stealth kills too to avoid fights. It's really not that bad.

Himself

I only beat the original on Easy because the AI/endless spawning/bullet sponging was really detracting from my enjoyment. Then I beat U2 with relative ease on Normal. I like challenging but I hate cheap/annoying/poorly designed/whatever. Guess there's only one way to find out...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rewrite said:
Crushing is easy. Way easier than the first Uncharted's Crushing. There's only 3 areas where you'll probably have trouble in, but if you take cover, aim for headshots, you will be OK. Try to get stealth kills too to avoid fights. It's really not that bad.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

U2 Normal = U1 Easy
U2 Hard = U1 Normal
U2 Crushing = U1 Hard

nib95

Banned
Just started the campaign again in prep for Uncharted 3. Seriously....still blows me away. Even after so many play through's and so many games in-between. From the very opening sequence this game has me whipped and eating from it's palm.

Duffyside

Banned
Been replaying the series in preparation for U3, and seeing that Batman was coming I started a little earlier than planned. I moved away from U1 once Elena was captured, as I was starting to get bored with the game, feeling it didn't hold up quite as well as I had hoped. And I feared feeling the same for U2, as before I started replaying them I had a soft spot in my heart for U1, as many people seem to.

Finished U2 just a few hours ago, and I loved the experience so much I immediately went back into Chapter Select and played a few of my favorite moments again, even though I had just played through them for like fifth time. What an amazing game, so totally holds up. The gameplay is pretty basic, but in U2 there was enough enemy variety and strong encounter design that it kept things challenging and fresh, the latter aided by nice breaks between the shooting action with traversal, character moments, set-pieces, and more.

But I think more than anything else it's the environments that make me love this game so much (well, other than the characters). It actually is what has had me most worried about U3 — not that I think it will be anything but great, just not living up to U2 — since its announcement. I was worried a desert setting would mean the game would lack the color and vibrancy of U2; the Tibetan city, the village, the museum, the train, the last area, all were filled with such life and detail, from water to vegetation to peeling paints of greens and blues and reds and yellows... All we've seen of Uncharted 3 isn't drab, but it hasn't come close to the original U2 screens, for me.

Still, I'm incredibly excited for 11-1-11. I have hopes that the environments that we've seen are used to make "surprising" settings later on seem even more invigorating by contrast. But all that really matters are the characters. Even with playing U2 five times completely now, I would still sit, wait and listen to the little character interactions and cute little quips that we were treated to.

I do hope there are some new characters to come in U3 (like Tenzin and Chloe were for U2), but I'll still be there day 1 just for the characters I already know and love.

I've been replaying bits and pieces of UC 2 as well. What's surprising to me is how challenging the game is compared to many other shooters, even on normal (and I normally play games on the highest difficulty). Setpieces aren't just designed to look cool, and they can get pretty tough starting around chapter 5. The game was designed to be legitimately challenging, and I love it.

I’ve been replaying Uncharted 2 as well.....I got the platinum trophy a few days ago.

The game holds up extremely well and it’s still my favourite game of the generation.

Chuck

Still without luck
I guess I should say that I played through Uncharted 2 last week in one sitting. 8pm to about 7am (with breaks) and I was only planning on playing it for 3 hours or so. I seriously couldn't stop playing, and, well, I didn't.

Still an absolutely amazing game and would still be a "10" if it came out this year, or probably even next year. It definitely got rid on any bad taste the recent multiplayer beta has left me with and got me even more excited for U3.

nib95

Banned
Lol, took a break from the game whilst completing Gears 3 with my cousin and now I'm back to U2 (which I was dying to get back to even though this is like my 4th or 5th play through). Can't believe this game still excites me after so long. My fave section coming up soon as well, Tibet, Snow, the Ice Cavern etc. Though to be fair, there are so many amazing moments and set pieces throughout that it's hard to pick a favourite.

I have a new tv and I've been booting up both uncharteds to tweak my picture and I'm blown away every time. My tv makes it seem like I'm seeing them for the first time... I never thought they'd look better.

I still prefer 1's jungles with the wet rocks by rivers to 2's swampy Borneo with dry rocks along the sides of the water. Erks me.

nib95

Banned
Just completed it. Dunno what number play through it was, but ever the master piece I remember it to be. Near flawless imo. In-fact, the only area of complaint I have is the final boss, which imo wasn't horrendous, but wasn't close to the quality of the rest of the game either. Honestly, just sublime through and through. Right to the very end from the final bridge run through to the completely charming, funny and believable little banter between Elena and Drake just before the final end credits.

Still the best this gen has to offer imo, and by a long shot. No idea how U3 is going to top this.

Glassboy

nib95 said:
Just completed it. Dunno what number play through it was, but ever the master piece I remember it to be. Near flawless imo. In-fact, the only area of complaint I have is the final boss, which imo wasn't horrendous, but wasn't close to the quality of the rest of the game either. Honestly, just sublime through and through. Right to the very end from the final bridge run through to the completely charming, funny and believable little banter between Elena and Drake just before the final end credits.

Still the best this gen has to offer imo, and by a long shot. No idea how U3 is going to top this.
Completely agree. I feel like it's the best of the generation and top 5 all time. I cannot wait for U3

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck, I'm almost done with this game. I'm so 2009 but this game is flawless.

Top Bottom