• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 tech interview, NINE days away from submission

Wizman23 said:
Oh go cry some more. Every fucking 360 shooter thread has been de railed for the past 2 years just so Sony fanboys can come in and proclaim how Killzone 2 is the greatest game ever ever created and how it will sell 20 million copies and win the console war for Sony....yeah how did that turn out??

About as well as the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm getting sick and tired of these fucking PS3 thread derails. How many 360 threads turn to shit like this?

Every single Alan Wake one... By the PC bots unfortunately.

aznpxdd

Red Blaster said:
About as well as the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals.

idgfsy.jpg

Downslide

Banned
Violater said:
K can the vale talk stop here?

you heard the man, stop talking about wide river valleys.

i mean, that's really off topic for a gaming forum, take that shit to the escarpment sub forum

mr_nothin said:
Who CARES? Really...if it looks 90% identical most of the time then why do you care what you see? If they just said the videos were real-time in the 1st place...on the 1st game then most ppl wouldnt even have noticed.

I dont get this video vs real-time debate. The game looks great while you're playing it and looks on par with the cutscenes. So why are we whining about "pre-rendered videos" just so Naughty Dog can impress the 5% of their fans that actual care?
Well, how about different skins/costumes not showing on cutscenes? Or the different post processing modes? That's quite lame.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm getting sick and tired of these fucking PS3 thread derails.
To be fair, this is one of those "my console is better than yours" disguised as an U2 thread.

Firewire said:
And this bugs you how exactly?

It might be one of the reasons why this thread turned into such a trainwreck. Doesn't really bug me despite the fact that it's obsolete talk to make Sony happy.

schennmu said:
It might be one of the reasons why this thread turned into such a trainwreck. Doesn't really bug me despite the fact that it's obsolete talk to make Sony happy.

So what? If you know it's just ND saying what they have to, why complain about it?

spwolf

schennmu said:

obsolete? its definetly not obsolete.

schennmu said:

Its not possible on 360, ND are owned by Sony...

rhino4evr

who cares who makes what for what. Uncharted 2 is coming out in a few months..and it looks incredible. Probably the only game I buy for the rest of the year..

Truespeed

bluescreenoflife said:
Why are there people like you who feel the need to not only enjoy something that is well made... but to claim it has no rival?

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are beautiful looking.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 have a great writer with voice actors that are worthy of and sometimes transcend the writing.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are fun to play.

But to take a shit on Valve and their "B-Grade" engine makes you look like a fucking joke who grew up playing a Playstation and can't expand their mind past it.

Every employee at Valve is the best in the world at what they do, period.

Did you actually read back the fucking joke you just spewed out of your ass? You lavish praise on Naughty Dog, but somehow give a free pass to someone calling their studio, their people, their technology and their games B grade. But, when I counter by saying their engine doesn't even compare to the ND engine your little porcupine quills start emerging from your popped out collar.

Here's the moral of the story, because you had trouble getting it in the first place, if you're going to call a company B grade you better hope the company you're comparing them to is superior in every aspect otherwise you end up looking like an idiot.

Truespeed

andycapps said:
Have you even played Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead, or Team Fortress 2 on a PC? Go check out the current thread for GAF replaying through Half Life 2, which is a 5 years old game. The game has aged very well and still looks very, very good. You can't say that for a lot of the same games at the time. Say what you want about the Source engine, but it's very scaleable and looks pretty good. Play through Half Life 2 and tell me that isn't epic, or that Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2 aren't extremely finely tuned games. I've put more hours into those two games than any console game. On second thought, nevermind, why am I falling for this bait? :lol

Naughty Dog is good at what they do, maximizing the results on the only platform they work on, PS3. Uncharted is a phenomenal looking game, as are Valve's games. Sucks that the OP had to bring Valve into this as they don't relate to the original article AT ALL. Who cares if Valve games can't be played on PS3 as long as you've got a halfway decent PC? Again, Valve's games are first and foremost designed for PC, so even if you have a 360, I'd still recommend them moreso on a PC anyway.

This thread is the perfect example of why PC gamers hate console gamers and vice versa. And it's also the perfect example of GAF. :D

That's a rhetorical question, right? Because everyone has the epic Orange Box in their collection. But, I think you're missing the point I was making when I criticized their engine and not their games. Personally, I think the Source engine is great and TF2 is one of the best looking games on my PC, but that has more to do with art style then pushing their engine to CryEngine levels. But, when someone calls Naughty Dog B grade in a Uncharted 2 thread you need to restore the momentary lapse of reason that person had.

Truespeed said:
Did you actually read back the fucking joke you just spewed out of your ass? You lavish praise on Naughty Dog, but somehow give a free pass to someone calling their studio, their people, their technology and their games B grade. But, when I counter by saying their engine doesn't even compare to the ND engine your little porcupine quills start emerging from your popped out collar.

Here's the moral of the story, because you had trouble getting it in the first place, if you're going to call a company B grade you better hope the company you're comparing them to is superior in every aspect otherwise you end up looking like an idiot.

Valve's target audience and fans are the collar popping type apparently, good to know.

The point was that I lavished praise on Naughty Dog for the same reason I lavish praise upon Valve, because they fucking deserve it. It's hard to not presume that you would bust a nut over Naughty Dog whether or not they rightfully deserve it when they are a Sony exclusive studio and you define your online identity with a piece of their console branding.

Here was my thought process:

1. I consider ND and Valve to both be among the best in the business

2. You claim ND to be without equal, or at least certainly not equalled by Valve

3. ND only makes games for Playstation

4. Your avatar is of Playstation iconography

5. Valve is every bit as if not more talented than ND

6. You claim a part of Valve's development process is sub par

7. Valve released their last games on both hd consoles and the pc

8. I question the motivation behind your statements

Draft

Valve is Pixar, ND is Dreamworks.

You have to be high on crack cocaine to put ND anywhere near Valve Fucking Corporation.

StuBurns

Banned
Draft said:
Antz is better than A Bugs Life.

In terms of game design, yes, Valve are probably the best developer in the world, but games are more than just that, and ND are far from a 'b-level' developer. They're easily among the best on a technical level.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
stuburns said:
In terms of game design, yes, Valve are probably the best developer in the world, but games are more than just that...
I'd like you to expand on that?

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
I'd like you to expand on that?
Well, if you wish to evaluate a development studio, you can do so on more than just the game design, such as the technical prowess of the programmers, and although as a gamer, the only thing that really matters is the thing you play, when 'rating' a studio, more than that should be taken into account. Valve are, in my eyes at least, the best game designers working at the moment, that doesn't mean they are the best game development studio.

WinFonda

I have a gut feeling telling me that unlike the e-world where fanboys rule over all, Valve and Naughty Dog have a great deal of respect for each other's work - as most sane professional people do.

vilmer_

Draft said:

You have to be high on crack cocaine to put ND anywhere near Valve Fucking Corporation.

At least ND has put out a $60 game in the past 5 years. If Episode 3 doesn't release early 2010, I'm going to go batshit.

Truespeed

bluescreenoflife said:
Valve's target audience and fans are the collar popping type apparently, good to know.

The point was that I lavished praise on Naughty Dog for the same reason I lavish praise upon Valve, because they fucking deserve it. It's hard to not presume that you would bust a nut over Naughty Dog whether or not they rightfully deserve it when they are a Sony exclusive studio and you define your online identity with a piece of their console branding.

And yet you let the B grade studio slide off you like water off the back of a duck. You didn't even acknowledge it. I think your agenda was not only very clear, but embarrassingly obvious. In case you didn't fucking know, this is a Uncharted 2 thread so please try to keep your Valve shit out of it, k Gordon? As for my avatar - well, I change it like underwear, but keep reading stuff into it, Matlock.

bluescreenoflife said:
Here was my thought process:

I question your thought process.

This thread....,wow. All because ND said U2 wouldn't work on 360. So much butthurt and bitter tears. Can we actually talk about the game now? I thought it was already established that the PS3 was a bit more powerful than the 360.

Lord Error said:
As does probably every game with facial animation. Like for example:

Ok, you got me there... but you said "every game with facial animation" and yet posted a pic of real people cosplaying... and they're not even making that face. :D

Master Z said:
This Valve vs ND thing is one of the most pathetic nerd arguments I've ever seen, congratulations you fucking tools.

Don't over dramatize it. Everyone's just joking around so don't spoil it. I fellatiate Valve, but I beat Uncharted twice and loved every
fucking tomb zombie filled
minute. And as much as I vouch for the Source engine and talk of it aging gracefully, I still think that Uncharted 2 is going to be the best looking console game ever made.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
bluescreenoflife said:
Ok, you got me there... but you said "every game with facial animation" and yet posted a pic of real people cosplaying... and they're not even making that face. :D
It's all one image with the one on the left. I didn't bother cropping it out.

Draft said:
Valve is Pixar
Perhaps you are onto something - as they both make memorable looking visuals and are good at storytelling - but leave much to be desired when it comes to gameplay :p

Top Bottom