• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 tech interview, NINE days away from submission

Calling long-time GAF'ers: what's the typical turn-around time for a thread to get back on OP-track? Ten pages? 15 pages? I'm just exercising some expectation management in due time :lol

evolution

Keikoku said:
And I assume that calling Valve b-rate (obviously what the OP meant) isn't as retarded as this ?

Valve has nothing to learn from Naughty Dog, they made much more better games than them, Half Life is a classic masterpiece, same goes for HL² Ep2 and many other stuff.
Your whole argument is based on what someone didn't even say.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Armitage said:
Not talking about ND's bitching there.

Really?

Armitage said:
Yes guys, I'm sure Gabe cares about a b-rate console developer's bitching. You're seriously comparing naughty dog to Valve? Two of the greatest FPSs ever vs. a mediocre adventure dealy? I understand why you'd be excited about dynamic sound, though.
Are we reading the same things you wrote?

Cheeto

Armitage said:
Yes guys, I'm sure Gabe cares about a b-rate console developer's bitching. You're seriously comparing naughty dog to Valve? Two of the greatest FPSs ever vs. a mediocre adventure dealy? I understand why you'd be excited about dynamic sound, though.
:lol
Now you did it.

DenogginizerOS

Keikoku said:
Really ? My bad then.
I think reading the OP is pretty essential to formulating opinions and is a pre-requisite here on NeoGAF. This thread is a classic example of how great news about an upcoming game can be ruined.

StuBurns

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I think reading the OP is pretty essential to formulating opinions and is a pre-requisite here on NeoGAF. This thread is a classic example of how great news about an upcoming game can be ruined.
Out of interest, what part of this was news?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
stuburns said:
The pacing is off on console as well, they're masters of pacing and design, half their mastery is completely absent on the console version of HL2 and it's kids. TF2 is crap on there too. Although I do think L4D, while still much better on PC, is rock solid on console, it at least rivals the best the console has to offer in terms of interface and control.

Maybe on PS3, but 360 TF2 plays fine. LB/RB quick switch between the three (or four if Spy/Engie) weapon/build, spy clothe options. Adjust to it and it's quick and easy (and you have the D-pad to switch to the one you want if it isn't near the one you were on previously).

I don't think the pacing is off in HL2 for consoles either, but I mostly played it on X-box and the 360, so what the hell do I know then? :lol

Piggus

badcrumble said:
To be fair, Valve games really should be played on PCs no matter what. Stuff like the Half-Life weapon selection system is clearly not designed with a console in mind.

You probably won't have a better experience with the console versions unless your PC was built in a shed by your early nineteenth century Irish ancestors.

Seriously. Anyone who has experience with Source games on the PC would know that 30fps in these is a sick joke.

StuBurns

Banned
TheSeks said:
Maybe on PS3, but 360 TF2 plays fine. LB/RB quick switch between the three (or four if Spy/Engie) weapon/build, spy clothe options. Adjust to it and it's quick and easy (and you have the D-pad to switch to the one you want if it isn't near the one you were on previously).

I don't think the pacing is off in HL2 for consoles either, but I mostly played it on X-box and the 360, so what the hell do I know then? :lol
I played it 360, and I think it is way off. It's so much slower. And I think the balance is off on TF2 on both consoles also, well, I haven't played the PS3 version, but I know it doesn't support keyboard/mouse, so I'm sure it has the same issues.

DenogginizerOS said:

I think people have actually been banned for posting without reading the OP. It was a totally different context though. Stupid people asking questions in official threads that are already answered in the OP.

Holtz

This thread really is an example on why people should be obligated to read the opening post before replying. What a shitfest.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Donos said:
11abq01.gif
:lol :lol

pretty much

StuBurns

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I wasn't aware ND was sharing their tech with 3rd parties.
Yeah, they did last time too, there was a podcast a few weeks ago with an interview from a ND tech guy, I forget the name of the podcast, because it's not one I listen to, but he talked about their tech sharing in some length, pretty interesting. The best I have it's it was the 100th episode, and I believe an IGN one.

Balestra for the win. Just crave to put my hands on this game (and GoW3, which i find even more impressive technically, but just because i'm a coder...).

PSGames

First of all, we fill the Blu-ray 100 percent, we have no room left on this one. We have 25GB of data; we're using every single bit of it."

So we'll have cutscenes that are pre-rendered videos and not running in realtime again?

StuBurns

Banned
-Yeti said:
I hate how he just had to state that "it's not possible on the 360".

Why does it even matter?
Yeah, it is annoying, maybe this exact game couldn't, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be changed to work, maybe even better. And I doubt ND have masses of experience with the 360 hardware. If it's even true it's a strange statement to make, they aren't competing with them.

I'd hate to be the people responsible for drawing up the paperwork for meetings and code sharing between Naughty Dog and third parties. I mean, damn. NDAs all over da place.

StuBurns

Banned
badcrumble said:
I'd hate to be the people responsible for drawing up the paperwork for meetings and code sharing between Naughty Dog and third parties. I mean, damn. NDAs all over da place.
It's open source isn't it? I know Insomniac are, or at least were. You could go to their site and grab the whole thing couldn't you?

Pimpbaa

PSGames said:
So we'll have cutscenes that are pre-rendered videos and not running in realtime again?

The cutscenes were there to hide the long loading. Plus there was stuff they couldn't do in realtime in the cutscenes, like quick transitions from one area to another.

DenogginizerOS

PSGames said:
Is this bad if it looks amazing? I mean, this is like bitching about amazing breasts that might be fake.

StuBurns

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Is this bad if it looks amazing? I mean, this is like bitching about amazing breasts that might be fake.
It doesn't look as good though, if it's the same codec as last time, it was pretty bad actually.

Robot 492

Banned
Armitage said:
Don't kid yourself. ND is up there with the best, just like Valve.

StuBurns

Banned
Raist said:
You played UDF on Gametrailers?
You think the compression on the cutscenes in U1 was equal in image quality to the realtime game? If so, I recommend serious eye examination, or a HDTV.

mr_nothin

Banned
PSGames said:
Who CARES? Really...if it looks 90% identical most of the time then why do you care what you see? If they just said the videos were real-time in the 1st place...on the 1st game then most ppl wouldnt even have noticed.

I dont get this video vs real-time debate. The game looks great while you're playing it and looks on par with the cutscenes. So why are we whining about "pre-rendered videos" just so Naughty Dog can impress the 5% of their fans that actual care?

skulpt

Armitage said:
Sorry, meant to put b-rate developer's fans'

Sorry. I didn't realize a developer who is putting out what was voted as the overall console game of the show for both E3 and GC a B developer. That's WITH Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, God of War 3, Forza 3, GT5, and every other game out there being shown. ;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mr_nothin said:
Who CARES? Really...if it looks 90% identical most of the time then why do you care what you see? If they just said the videos were real-time in the 1st place...on the 1st game then most ppl wouldnt even have noticed.

I dont get this video vs real-time debate. The game looks great while you're playing it and looks on par with the cutscenes. So why are we whining about "pre-rendered videos" just so Naughty Dog can impress the 5% of their fans that actual care?

We care because the pre-rendered videos use a subpar codec that is a disservice to the graphics. The game holds up fine and does not need to be pre-recorded so they can throw in a couple extra effects, artifacting and poor color levels in the cutscenes is irritating.

G_Berry

Banned
I think most of you have missed the point regarding Valve and the lack of PS3 support.

Time and money people, time and money.

spwolf

grif1020 said:
We care because the pre-rendered videos use a subpar codec that is a disservice to the graphics. The game holds up fine and does not need to be pre-recorded so they can throw in a couple extra effects, artifacting and poor color levels in the cutscenes is irritating.

:lol

Menaged

I finished Uncharted 1 a few days ago (my 4th run) and didn't notice any problem with the IQ of the cutscens...
And yes, I use an HDTV and my eyes are perfectly fine.

Raist

Banned
stuburns said:
You think the compression on the cutscenes in U1 was equal in image quality to the realtime game? If so, I recommend serious eye examination, or a HDTV.

I have 10/10 and the latter too :p
I dunno, it didn't strike me at all so I guess it's not that bad.

J-Rzez

Didn't Gabe give ND some props way back in the day? If he is having trouble with the PS3, perhaps he should talk to them. Their work proves their skill, Uncharted 2 will "WOW" more people possibly than GT5 and GoW3. Hell, after even just the tiny beta, Uncharted 2 quickly put out the KZ2 fires.

If it ends up better than the first in all regards, I'd be shocked if Uncharted 2 doesn't walk away with tons of awards, from visuals, to audio, to gameplay, to story telling/acting.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
Armitage said:
The dig was at Gabe Newell. It in no way implied that Valve made sub-par games or compared them with the games produced by Naughty Dog.
Armitage said:
That's the thing. There is no shit storm. It's just some fanboys being uppity at a respected developer who bad mouthed their favorite piece of plastic. Nobody really cares all that much, except for the people who care too much about everything like this.

Did we read the same first page?
Very ironic that you are simulating the 'cool and collected' shtick when you were clearly hot and bothered in the above quoted post of irrational, arbitrary drivel.

Keikoku said:
And I assume that calling Valve b-rate (obviously what the OP meant) isn't as retarded as this ?

Valve has nothing to learn from Naughty Dog, they made much more better games than them, Half Life is a classic masterpiece, same goes for HL² Ep2 and many other stuff. The ND praise is pretty much Gaf exlusive. For an average gamer they're just good developers among many others...
Like 'Armitage', you have completely missed the point.

What does the phrase 'they made much more better games than them' mean and what does it have to do with this thread? Unless you were talking purely on a technical level I interpret that statement as entirely subjective and it has no relevance to the comment in the OP. Clearly Gabe Newell and Valve have had problems with the Cell BBE, and they'd tell you that themselves (they've said it enough in interviews as it is). He has simply tried to dismiss the thing altogether, saying that they would be wasting time trying to learn the architecture and that the technology itself is irrelevant. This says something about them objectively - particularly the latter, because quite frankly his head must be up his arse if he can't see that this is the direction the entire industry (computer science, not merely consoles/gaming) is moving towards. They will have to get to grips with it at some point, like everyone else is doing/has done and they will be that much behind the later they leave it. As far as I know the frustration was majorly down to working with something unfamiliar rather than lack of software support as in inferior toolsets - there's certainly nothing overly complex with the processor itself. Naughty Dog have managed to design ICE (1st party) and EDGE (3rd party) for developers to work with. If I were 'Armitage' I'd rethink branding them B-rate while cock-sucking Gabe Newell.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Armitage said:
I can't believe what I just read.

Top Bottom