• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 vs Mass Effect 2: Which game had the best single player experience?

Which game had the best single player experience?

Results are only viewable after voting.
This so much. UC2 is just one time experience. Amazing one, though. But in terms of gameplay, story, and character development, ME 2 is a better game.
Replayabilty is subjective. I replayed UC2 like 6 times. Like a great movie, you can play it again and again and it's always such an awesome enjoyable ride. I only played ME2 once, 1) because it's a long game and too much of a time investment to play it multiple times, and 2) I kind of like to stick with my first choices in games with narrative and dialogue choices. Same reason why I won't play The Walking Dead a second time

Patapwn

Mass effect 2 was a big downgrade imo from mass effect 1. The world seemed smaller, the sense of exploration diminished greatly. It felt very much like a corridor shooter and not a particularly amazing one at that. Uncharted 2 was a legitimate TPS that really knew what it wanted to be so I'm going with that

Moaradin

Yes, the final level of the game (and final boss) were utter trash... but I felt the same against ME2's. The design was pretty sick though, won't lie.

Dude, the suicide mission in ME2 might be one of the most memorable last levels in ANY game IMO. The last boss was weird but the mission as a whole is amazing.

Uncharted 2. And I don't even like Uncharted.

As a shooter, ME2 (and the whole series, really) is average-at-best, and as an RPG it's utter trash. Everything beyond that depends on how much you like its story and characters.

uncharted 2 was fantastic the first time through, and my fav in 09.....but thats it. going back to the baked set pieces youve already seen isnt as fun later

but Mass effect 2 is fantastic even on your third-fourth-fifth run. The Squad and the last few hours of the game gets better every time.

ME2 without a doubt

Replayabilty is subjective. I replayed UC2 like 6 times. Like a great movie, you can play it again and again and it's always such an awesome enjoyable ride. I only played ME2 once, 1) because it's a long game and too much of a time investment to play it multiple times, and 2) I kind of like to stick with my first choices in games with narrative and dialogue choices. Same reason why I won't play The Walking Dead a second time
That's great and all, but games like ME2 are meant to be played multiple times to get a different character, results, choices, and endings. UC2 is a one time experience that you put on shelf after playing it once, and after few years, you play it again just like re-watching a movie.

Game4life

Banned
That's great and all, but games like ME2 is meant to be played multiple times to get a different character, results, choices, and ending. UC2 is a one time experience that you put on shelf after playing it once, and after few years, you play it again just like rewatching a movie.

The horrible ME3 ending means that ME2 loses its impact. None of the choices mattered in the end. That retrospectively puts the entire ME franchise out of contention in any best of lists IMO. Now without its story it is a poorly controlling TPS with no cool levels or encounters. UC2 is a much much better game in that aspect. The train sequence alone is better than any level designed in ME2

Mass effect 2 was a big downgrade imo from mass effect 1. The world seemed smaller, the sense of exploration diminished greatly. It felt very much like a corridor shooter and not a particularly amazing one at that. Uncharted 2 was a legitimate TPS that really knew what it wanted to be so I'm going with that

This soo much.

The horrible ME3 ending means that ME2 loses its impact. None of the choices mattered in the end. That retrospectively put the entire ME franchise out of contention in any best of lists IMO. Now without its story it is a poorly controlling TPS with no cool levels or encounters. UC2 is a much much better game in that aspect. The train sequence alone is better than any level designed in ME2

This soo much.

Not to mention ME2 was a significant downgrade in the RPG department compared to ME1.

That's great and all, but games like ME2 are meant to be played multiple times to get a different character, results, choices, and endings. UC2 is a one time experience that you put on shelf after playing it once, and after few years, you play it again just like re-watching a movie.

exactly, you are missing out on extra content if you dont play it again with different decisions in mass effect.

you pretty much see what the game has after beating uncharted 2 once...unless you wanna shoot at bullet sponges on higher difficulties again

Prototype

Mass Effect 2 by far!

U2 was nice once, but after seeing the set pieces there wasn't really another reason to go back. Gun play was fairly boring and enemy types were largely the same throughout the entire game, they just sent more of them.

ME2 had paragon and Rebel paths + multiple different classes, which each played differently. Larger variety of enemy types and more ways to play.

How is this even a question? U2 is laughably lacking compared to ME2.

The horrible ME3 ending means that ME2 loses its impact. None of the choices mattered in the end. That retrospectively puts the entire ME franchise out of contention in any best of lists IMO. Now without its story it is a poorly controlling TPS with no cool levels or encounters. UC2 is a much much better game in that aspect. The train sequence alone is better than any level designed in ME2.
We aren't talking about ME3. When you put it that way, any games becomes inferior because of a bad sequel with letdown plot. ME2 as a standalone was a great game, despite the fact that the sequel was a letdown. And before people played ME3, people replayed ME2 to get a different ending and different dialogues.

Only on gaf do I see arguments that Mass Effect is a better-controlling TPS than Uncharted. I love this forum. :p

Uncharted is sloppy as shit in comparison. I hadn't been so frustrated with controls in years when I finally played 99% through Uncharted 2 (after Uncharted 1), not since Mafia on the PS2. Even Mass Effect 1 was (for me) far better in comfortable controls. Of course, all from what I felt playing the first two Mass Effect games (on the 360) and the first two Uncharted games.

:3

But I thought Uncharted 2 was more fun, and it wasn't as much of a time investment so it had more replay value to me. The gameplay was good enough to keep me coming back, and there were harder difficulties and unlockables. Yes, there is more content in ME2, but that doesn't mean it's inherently more replayable.

I've played through Uncharted 2 more times than I can count, and while I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2, I never feel compelled to play it again. I'm going with UC2.

Uncharted is sloppy as shit in comparison. I hadn't been so frustrated with controls in years when I finally played 99% through Uncharted 2 (after Uncharted 1), not since Mafia on the PS2. Even Mass Effect 1 was (for me) far better in comfortable controls. Of course, all from what I felt playing the first two Mass Effect games (on the 360) and the first two Uncharted games.

Uncharted has sloppy combat compared to ME? Now I've heard it all. Uncharted is fluid, fast paced, and snappy. ME is cumbersome and stiff. I get the appeal of ME, but the combat is one aspect I have never liked.

It's a surreal feeling when I'm reminded exactly why I hated Greg's writing and really IGN in general right after seeing a thread with him in it.

TBH I think both are overrated but I feel like ME2 is going to age a bit better.

Can you expand on this? What did you find frustrating about the controls or sloppy?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Only one of those games had Garrus so...
mass-effect-2-screens_11-06-09.jpg

Game4life

Banned
We aren't talking about ME3. When you put it that way, any games becomes inferior because of a bad sequel with letdown plot. ME2 as a standalone was a great game, despite the fact that the sequel was a letdown. And before people played ME3, people replayed ME2 to get a different ending and different dialogues.

Well unlike other sequels there is an overarching plot and your decisions in each of these games are supposed to affect the overall ending so when that did not happen it does spoil the rest of the games. Now when one replays ME2 today it would not matter what choices I want to make because I know the game does not give a shit about the choices anyways. It is the opposite for something like UC which are stand alone games. UC3 being shit does not affect UC2 and will not affect UC4. Again going through ME2 would have been more bearable inspite of this if the core gameplay at least was good but it is too mediocre in my opinion.

Not to mention ME2 was a significant downgrade in the RPG department compared to ME1.

Yeah this too. But I would not mind the significant downgrade that much if they atleast made a competent shooter.

nib95

Banned
exactly, you are missing out on extra content if you dont play it again with different decisions in mass effect.

you pretty much see what the game has after beating uncharted 2 once...unless you wanna shoot at bullet sponges on higher difficulties again

Very few of the enemies are actually bullet sponges if you have a skilled aim. In-fact, most enemies are one hit kills, even on the hardest difficulty.

ME2 is definitely a much deeper game, with more narrative and character outcomes and all the rest, but it's not really fair to say UC2 is a one time play experience sort of game either. The combat arena's and general scope and degree of verticality in many of the levels, coupled with the mix of stealth and gunplay, do allow for a fair degree of variety in approach and tactics.

As I said previously, I've completed the game several times and enjoyed it each time, namely because of the dynamic nature of the combat. A lot of people I've found play the Uncharted games where they remain behind one or two pieces of cover for prolonged periods of time, and just keep popping out to shoot every now and again, rinse repeat. But if you experiment and are brave about it, there's so much more to it. Jumping around, platforming, climbing, melee, stealth, multitude of attack, mobility and vantage options etc.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
Both games were among the greatest games of the last generation. Mass effect 2 convinced me to buy a third 360 after the previous two bricked and it did not dissapont. I beat the game on 360 three times and then bought it on ps3 where I beat it three more times. The world bioware created was stunning, expansive and full of intetesting characters. Easily my favorite of the trilogy.
That said, my pick is uncharted 2 and its not even close. I love cinematic games and uc2 combines that cinematic feel that I love with smooth tps gameplay better than almost any other game out there. It has one of my favorite casts from any game, great acting, huge set pieces, beautiful vistas, witty one liners,and impeccable pacing which combined into a near perfect gaming experience IMO. It was my favorite game of last generation behind only The Last of Us.

Alo0oy

Banned

& Uncharted 2 was meant to be replayed an infinite amount of times due to how fun the game is (as many people here have already said), so your post makes no sense.

Drac84

They're both 2 of my favourite games. I'd give the edge to Uncharted 2 though. Both had great writing, characters and music, but there's just something about the UC2 set pieces that clicks with me. The building, the train, the village, they were all genuinely thrilling moments. The graphics also (at the time) blew me away in a way that ME2's didn't.

ME2 by far! It was mind blowing experience for me, because I had no expectations for it whatsoever. I played it because it was in my backlog. It one of those games that you start another playthrough immediately after completing. It's that good!

remove the spectacle and mass effect 2 is an average game.

Remove the charming protagonist and Uncharted is a Call of Duty game.

Can you expand on this? What did you find frustrating about the controls or sloppy?

I struggled with the gunplay. I've played shooters on the PS3 and they've been mostly fine, but Uncharted came along with the most bothersome gunplay. The cover system and the aiming didn't sit well with me at all. I managed to get through nearly two Uncharted games before I gave up on the series. Sniping is useless because trying to get an aim is tough as shit and the enemies seem to react everytime you have them in your sights, whether they see you from cover or not. I just hate the controls and the gunplay. It was a most disappointing experience after hearing nothing but great things about the games. :(

e: might be just me, but the gameplay/controls pushed me away.

Toa TAK

Banned
Mass Effect 2 without a doubt. The choices, characters, worlds are a lot more fun to me. Sure Uncharted rules in gunplay, but I don't feel as invested in that as I do ME2.

Alo0oy

Banned
Then try using logic. I never said the game is not replayable at all.

You said the game was meant to be played once, which is not the case at all, if a game's mechanics are fun, I'll replay it until there's something else to play. While in ME2 I found myself chugging through the game in my subsequent playthroughs just to see the different outcomes, I found ME2 far more fun when I rebought the digital trilogy & went through the games in order just once.

None of this matters if you don't find it fun to play through in the first place.

I, for one, attempted to replay ME2 to see the additional content, but I stopped when I realized the the additional content didn't keep it from being a mediocre cover shooter with a half-assed stat system bolted on.

Also, it boggles my mind that Miller is actually paid to write.

You said the game was meant to be played once, which is not the case at all, if a game's mechanics are fun, I'll replay it until there's something else to play. While in ME2 I found myself chugging through the game in my subsequent playthroughs just to see the different outcomes, I found ME2 far more fun when I rebought the digital trilogy & went through the games in order just once.
I never said that. I said it's a one time experience. Like watching a movie.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
& Uncharted 2 was meant to be replayed an infinite amount of times due to how fun the game is (as many people here have already said), so your post makes no sense.
I agree. I've replayed uc2 9 times and have put countless hours into its mp. And I had more fun in my multiple playthrous of uc2 than I did replaying mass effect 2 because of the gameplay. Me2 is a tight corridor shooter with serviceable shooting and the dialogue options rarely change a conversation. Although blasting people in the face was fun in my evil playthroughs. But ultimately the experience is the same through each playthrough. Having better moment to moment gameplay certainly helped the replayability of uc2 more for me personally. But I rarely ever replay any games at all, so the fact that I replayed mass effect 2 six times should speak of the quality of that game as a complete experience as well.

redcrayon

Uncharted 2 was a great shooter, but I played it through once and traded it in the next day, I can't see me ever wanting to play it again. The simplistic, weak puzzles and almost auto-climbing make a thin disguise for what is just adding some welcome pacing to 10 hours of shooter, but it does shooting very well. ME2 I've played through three times, and it's three times as long. I thought the combat in both was excellent, but UC just feels like disposable fun in comparison, like an enjoyable action film. That's not a bad thing as that's what it's mimicking. I just love the world of ME, the depth it offers outside of shooting, the control over the lead character's interactions with everyone and the characters, it gets my vote.

They are both excellent though.

I never said that. I said it's a one time experience. Like watching a movie.

I disagree. Even though you can't change the story and it's a fairly linear game, it's still not a passive experience. A movie is going to be the same every time you watch it, but in UC2 the combat is going to play out differently, you may take more time to explore, you could play on a harder difficulty, you could play using an unlockable, etc.

Oh yeah, I remember that CoD game that had vertical levels & an agile protagonist that could use his agility for gameplay purposes, what was it called again?

I guess you didn't get that I was sorta countering a ridiculous statement with another ridiculous statement. :p

Oh yeah, I remember that CoD game that had vertical levels & an agile protagonist that could use his agility for gameplay purposes, what was it called again?
I'm pretty sure he was just kidding. Even without charming characters, Uncharted is still Uncharted because what makes it great is not its characters.

nib95

Banned
I suppose this could be a subject for another thread, but there's this common misconception that replayability revolves around games having more stuff to collect or do, or having branching or different choices in story options etc on alternative play throughs, and whilst that can be true, it's not necessarily a requirement. A really fun game, with diversity in approach (be in combat options, ways to tackle levels etc), engrossing gameplay, story, world or characters, a multitude of difficulty levels and so on, is often more than sufficient.

I've replayed games like Uncharted 2, Super Mario 64, Half Life 2, Final Fantasy VII, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4 etc so many times, not necessarily because the second time around there were alternative story options, different playable characters and all the rest, but just because the games were so fun.

Top Bottom