• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 vs Mass Effect 2: Which game had the best single player experience?

Which game had the best single player experience?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alo0oy

Banned
I suppose this could be a subject for another thread, but there's this common misconception that replayability revolves around games having more stuff to collect or do, or having branching or different choices in story options etc on alternative play throughs, and whilst that can be true, it's not necessarily a requirement. A really fun game, with diversity in approach (be in combat options, ways to tackle levels etc), engrossing gameplay, story, world or characters, a multitude of difficulty levels and so on, is often more than sufficient.

I've replayed games like Uncharted 2, Super Mario 64, Half Life 2, Final Fantasy VII, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4 etc so many times, not necessarily because the second time around there were alternative story options, different playable characters and all the rest, but just because the games were so fun.

Yup, replaying ME gets less fun the more playthroughs you have, I certainly replayed ME2 around 3-4 times, but the latter playthroughs felt like work, while I spent hundreds of hours playing UC2 (single player & multiplayer) & they were some of the most fun hours I've had.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I suppose this could be a subject for another thread, but there's this common misconception that replayability revolves around games having more stuff to collect or do, or having branching or different choices in story options etc on alternative play throughs, and whilst that can be true, it's not necessarily a requirement. A really fun game, with diversity in approach (be in combat options, ways to tackle levels etc), engrossing gameplay, story, world or characters, a multitude of difficulty levels and so on, is often more than sufficient.

I've replayed games like Uncharted 2, Super Mario 64, Half Life 2, Final Fantasy VII, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4 etc so many times, not necessarily because the second time around there were alternative story options, different playable characters and all the rest, but just because the games were so fun.
You sir, are my friend. You get it. And I've replayed that same list of games many times myself.

Tetra-9

This is very well true for me and I'm sure others. Some game can are just more fun to be replayed than others, even if you do the same thing over and over. There's still a "magic" to it.

redcrayon

True, I love RPGs but my favourite game isn't one. I still wouldn't put UC2 on my personal list of games to go back to though (unlike the other examples you give), but I can totally understand why some people love it.

On reflection, I think perhaps I wanted UC to be something it's not- it's a shooter with a few simplistic puzzles, whereas I find puzzles, story and exploring the scenery far more interesting than the guns. Also, I never play online, so I can see why people who pour hundreds of hours into arena deathmatches like those games more than me and probably appreciate the fine tuning of the gunplay for PVP more.

Moaradin

I replayed ME2 at least 10 times all the way through, and half of them I chose the exact same choices and class. I loved the game that much lol.

Sotha_Sil

For me, it's Mass Effect 2 in an utter landslide. Uncharted just feels irrelevant in comparison, for lack of a better word.

Dargor

Uncharted 2. There was some parts of that game that really made me say "wow!"

ME2 was good, but it wasn't great.

JediLink

Looks like there's no consensus so far, lol

I have to go with Mass Effect 2 here. It's longer, deeper, grander and just more compelling overall.

For me Mass Effect 2 hands down, no competition. Much more interesting game world, better characters, better and more varied combat and I just like it's rpg-liteness. It doesn't try to be anything else than it is. Climbing in Uncharted comes boring after a while and while some praise it for verticality or its protagonists agility, they never really managed to use that in enemy encounters. It's tps is on average level, not bad but just not snappy and don't feel natural enough, ME2 felt better in this department too.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Okay so Mass Effect 2... I have mixed feelings.

They pulled a Prince of Persia: Two Thrones with ME2. They "grittied" it up for a mass-appeal male audience.

1. All the female characters suddenly have big boobs and / or skintight outfits. Before they were more practical.

2. The level design got worse. The environments in the first game were more open and could go from combat to story at any time. In ME2 it's "STORY GOES HERE, COMBAT GOES HERE, NEVER SHALL THEY MEET."

3. The collectors are shitty, pointless enemies that aren't integrated into the plot as well as the Geth.

4. Dumb stuff like The Vorcha, Aria, and Jack are added that reinforce that gritty "Two Thrones" tone.

5. The Illusive Man is a terrible villain. The game focuses wayyyyy too much on Cerebus.

6. The environments feel less organic, with blatant videogame cover strewn everywhere.

7. The dumb human Reaper is dumb. The Reapers in ME1 were like this awesome Cthulu-esque threat. And ME2 and 3 robbed them of all their mystique.

Basically they took the awesome world building of ME1 and took a big gritty shit on it.

banagher

Uncharted 2 takes the C̶i̶n̶t̶a̶m̶a̶n̶i̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ cake here.

One of my favourite games of all time.

Kallor

Its Uncharted 2. I was in love with both games and even though ME2 was longer it also had a lot of filler or straight up junk in it (scanning planets lol. I couldn't leave them alone and it sucked). I remember playing one of the DLC worlds (Overlord?) and thinking my game must have glitched or something. The textures, pixels, everything was fuckin horrible looking. Worst looking that I stuck around to play through on that gen at least.
For Uncharted, nothing blew me away again that gen like the train section, collapsing building, ice caves. So good.

Uncharted 2 takes the C̶i̶n̶t̶a̶m̶a̶n̶i̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ cake here.

One of my favourite games of all time.
U2 holds a special place in my games library. It was my first PS3 game, I guess that made the experience feel somewhat more special

Head.spawn

Uncharted 2 > Mass Effect 2, The Last of Us, Uncharted 1, Uncharted 3

Great game, I hope Uncharted 4 is closer to that game than Uncharted 3.

TheXbox

Uncharted. ME2 has a superior cast and story, no question, but the gameplay is poor. Straight up. The level design is consistently awful and the shooting is clunky as shit. Biotic-focused classes are serviceable but everything else is below par. The combat has as much depth as Uncharted only it's ten times less fun to play. Let's not forget the hours spent scanning planets, either.

Uncharted 2, on the other hand, is a blast to play from start-to-almost-finish. It is a masterful showcase in pacing. There is not a dull moment in that twelve hour story. The shooting is good, the platform is fun, and the set pieces that combine the two are outstanding.

Hmm.. Let's see.

One game is an RPG with over 50 hours of gameplay and story with plenty of side quests, narrative and time to explain the entire situation. Tension can slowly be build, characters can be slowly developed into the player liking or hating them.

One game is an Action/Adventure TPS with a little over 10 hours of gameplay and some of the finest core singleplayer experiences the world had ever seen, but it was also fairly linear and never gave the player the feeling that he/she could create the adventure.

I do not see how it is fair to put an excellent RPG up to an excellent TPS because they are both wildly different genre's, and each genre has its strong and weak points.

Guerrilla

I absolutely loved uncharted 2 but this one clearly goes to mass effect 2. As some have said, gameplay in me2 is way beyond uc2, there are just soooo many more options how to tackle combat, and that's not even talking about all the rpg elements that uc2 is lacking completely.

Add that me2 is more than 3-4 times as long as uc2 (without feeling dull at any moment) and has a much higher replayability factor than uc2.

As much as I was blown away by uc2 presentation at the time. me2 clearly is ice cream/oranges in this scenario and uc2 apples/cake ;)

Renekton

3. The collectors are shitty, pointless enemies that aren't integrated into the plot as well as the Geth.

5. The Illusive Man is a terrible villain. The game focuses wayyyyy too much on Cerebus.
You may have missed the point, like people missed the point of Iron Man 3.

Collectors are just catalyst for the actual topic which is about us finding our place in a community far bigger than ourselves, plus ultra-humanism.

bonkeng

This is a tough choice. I enjoyed both immensely.

I'll give a slight edge to ME2 as i love rpgs more than action/adventure games.

Turin

Banned
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games last gen.

I didn't like the Uncharted games very much(skipped the 3rd).

kimbaka

I was a bit let down by both of them for different reasons, but I would have to give the edge to Mass Effect 2.

Of course, Mass Effect 1 destroys both of them.

Chinner

Banned
Uncharted 2 easily.. Mass Effect 2 was just a collection of 30 minute random missions with no pacing or real story to link it together, and was first hand experience that Bioware were rejecting Mass Effect 1 and were transitioning to Mass Effect 3 (i.e. rubbish).

Trouble

Banned
I love both games, but I have to give it to UC2.

ME2 was going so strong they they dropped the
human reaper
on us at the end and the story for the entire series got stupider and stupider from there on. Also all the character recruiting done in the earlier game was ultimately pointless to the actual story. I would be totally OK with Bioware redoing the ME series starting with the 3rd act of ME2.

UC2 was just delightful. I love all the PS3 UC games, but 2 is definitely the best. Super hyped for 4.

SparkTR

Mass Effect 2 was abysmal, completely destroyed my hope that Mass Effect would turn into a great RPG series. UC2 because it didn't take as long to get through, even though it was a slog at times.

Uncharted is fun, but it can't compare to ME2. ME2 is just so much bigger and more substantial. Uncharted 2 is a 10 hour rollercoaster but ME2 is a 35+ hour epic.

SRTtoZ

UC2 blew me away more than ME2. I love the ME series though, so not sure if that answers that question.

Ehhh, isn't it the opposite? The dialog in Mass Effect is cringeworthy & their characters are only cool because of other reasons, while the combat is clunky & boring. I also thought a lot of the environments (like the collector's base) were cool.

Uncharted has far better dialog & better written characters, & the combat is more fluid & enjoyable, while the environments were cool, I preferred space in ME.

whoa WHOA WHOA....everyone's entitled to their opinion but is this a joke post?

like...better written characters? SERIOUSLY?

ME2 was the shit BECAUSE of the characters. CMON MAN

Top Bottom