• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 previews, screens and video

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is starting to sound uncomfortably like there'll be 2p co-op all the way through the whole game. Which, on the one hand, is fucking AWESOME (and great for replay value if it's handled right), but on the other hand I worry that (a) the scenario design might suffer and (b) WHERE IS ELENA ;_;

Redbeard

Banned
Anastacio said:
Hopefully this enemy is more intriguing than Lazarevic.

Yes, honestly the worst aspects of the Uncharted series are:

1. The enemies aren't particularly memorable

2. The boss battles, particularly the fights at the very end, are awful.

They need to improve on these aspects immensely.

With the main bad guy being an occultist, this could work in their favor as they are able to introduce more supernatural elements. Could make for a very interesting boss fight.

.la1n

thuway said:
I certainly hope not. I hope they move into next-gen development for PS4. I've wanted to make a thread about this, but I would love to see:

On launch for PS4- Uncharted 1, 2, 3, remastered in 1080p, 8xAA, SSAO- every feature under the sun. What I wouldn't do to play Uncharted 1 with fixed mechanics.

Than two years later, Uncharted 4. :).

No, just...no.

.la1n

badcrumble said:
This is starting to sound uncomfortably like there'll be 2p co-op all the way through the whole game. Which, on the one hand, is fucking AWESOME (and great for replay value if it's handled right), but on the other hand I worry that (a) the scenario design might suffer and (b) WHERE IS ELENA ;_;

Know what it sounds like to me? Resident Evil 5 syndrome. No game should ever catch that.

mr_nothin

Banned
badcrumble said:
Yep!
Multiplayer fucked up UC2's singleplayer too right?
This whole thread sounds very familiar!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Basically what this means is Drake’s in-game character reacts to things around him in very realistic ways. When he runs through a small hallway, he may reach his hand out to touch the wall. When he turns a corner, he may lean a little or grab a nearby object for balance.
This is a fantastic thing that I was really hoping they would do.

A.R.K

Which leads me to speculate: Does this “jump forward in multiplayer” Naughty Dog has been repeatedly saying have anything to do with a possible co-op mode? I don’t know the answer -- and Naughty Dog would not say anything -- but I think co-op could happen.

YES! :D :D

and ppl already complaining about U3 graphics lol...come on guys its still about a year away and already it looks as good as U2, so whats to complain?

Pachimari

With this new enemy, it would be awesome to have some bits of horror elements in the game as well, it would really fit with the style and universe. Scare the sh*t out of Nate! :D

mr_nothin

Banned
Anastacio said:
With this new enemy, it would be awesome to have some bits of horror elements in the game as well, it would really fit with the style and universe. Scare the sh*t out of Nate! :D
They tried that in the 1st one and failed but it would be really cool to see our character being nervous and on-edge while we're playing with him.

-viper-

Banned
.la1n said:
Know what it sounds like to me? Resident Evil 5 syndrome. No game should ever catch that.
Meh. RE5 was fun because of co-op and had superb replay value.

Besides, I trust ND to deliver us an incredible game - co-op or no co op.

Redbeard

Banned
Naughty Dog - Please add presence data for UC3's multiplayer so I can see what my friends are doing within the game on PSN. Thank you.

Why PS3 games don't feature this more often boggles the mind. LBP and Call of Duty seem to be the only big titles.

jett

D-Member
mr_nothin said:
Yep!

Multiplayer was kept completely separate from the SP campaign in UC2. Adding co-op to SP would have to alter the way the campaign works. I'm personally not worried as I doubt ND will be doing regular co-op in UC3.

mr_nothin said:
Yep!
The multiplayer and singleplayer modes in UC2 were completely separate, and I was never one of the ones arguing that the addition of multiplayer would take away from the SP.

Resident Evil 5's singleplayer experience ABSOLUTELY did get fucked up by the multiplayer experience, though. I'd hope that Uncharted still has some moments of real isolation.

I think it's absolutely possible to have workable co-op in Uncharted 2 SP - but it'd have to be something in which different characters could diverge from one another for great periods of time, not just briefly as in RE5, but with Drake actually spending nearly as much time on his own as he does in UC2.

Kittonwy

Banned
Redbeard said:
Well, I think a good compromise here is still to not show too much of the big action set pieces. Perhaps give us a brief glimpse in an epic E3 trailer, but don't blow too much of your load. I hate seeing games reveal almost every big set piece before release. Uncharted 2 was almost that way.

You could easily go into detail in the coming months about your multiplayer plans, for instance, without really spoiling the single player component. I don't think people mind hearing about MP details.

Uncharted is on the threshold of gorilla status...I mean UC2 sold what, nearly 5 million? It did great numbers. Sales will be more affected by marketing to people that don't know about the game rather than releasing media and info to people who already want it on the internet...

The fact is they need to build up the hype, the problem with a lot of games is that they wait until the last minute and you just can't ramp up people's excitement for a game that quickly. They were nowhere near showing every set piece in Uncharted 2, you can't market a game with no information.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
• Naughty Dog introduces new physics, visuals, and environmental effects. The harsh desert environment of Arabia’s “Empty Quarter” is faithfully created with distant mirages, heat distortion effects and sand that drifts, displaces and flows realistically. The developer has also revisited nearly every visual effect in their repertoire, such as fire, smoke, and water
Heh, naturally :D They could go crazy with this effect if they wanted to.

thuway

One more thing ND, please use 50gb bluray space this time. The second game was fucking lambasted with its horrible compression.

klier

rexor0717 said:
I fully support Unkarted.

:lol :lol :lol

I got the dynamic background of U3 on my PS3...it's going to be a damn long wait! Hopefully there'll be a demo in half a year or so, but I doubt it... :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mash triangle at the same time as player one to get through the door, and do it again to unstick him. I can tell because I've seen quite a few co-op scenes in my time.

mr_nothin

Banned
badcrumble said:
The multiplayer and singleplayer modes in UC2 were completely separate, and I was never one of the ones arguing that the addition of multiplayer would take away from the SP.

Resident Evil 5's singleplayer experience ABSOLUTELY did get fucked up by the multiplayer experience, though. I'd hope that Uncharted still has some moments of real isolation.

I think it's absolutely possible to have workable co-op in Uncharted 2 SP - but it'd have to be something in which different characters could diverge from one another for great periods of time, not just briefly as in RE5, but with Drake actually spending nearly as much time on his own as he does in UC2.

jett said:
Multiplayer was kept completely separate from the SP campaign in UC2. Adding co-op to SP would have to alter the way the campaign works. I'm personally not worried as I doubt ND will be doing regular co-op in UC3.

Mmmmhmmm....mmmhmm
Tell me more...

Just because there are a lot of devs that suck at it, doesnt mean there aren't any that can do it right. It would be cool if there was a drop in,drop out/not always together/always connected type of online campaign mode where you choose which player you wanted to play as (Drake or Sully) and each had their own separate campaign and you would only play "co-op" mode when those 2 characters came together. Basically interweaving storylines that incorporated the regular singleplayer stuff and co-op at different times.

Who knows how it could be handled...

Kittonwy

Banned
badcrumble said:

Capcom sux, Naughty Dog doesn't, big difference.
Indifferent2.gif

jett

D-Member
mr_nothin said:
Mmmmhmmm....mmmhmm
Tell me more...

Just because there are a lot of devs that suck at it, doesnt mean there aren't any that can do it right. It would be cool if there was a drop in,drop out/not always together/always connected type of online campaign mode where you choose which player you wanted to play as (Drake or Sully) and each had their own separate campaign and you would only play "co-op" mode when those 2 characters came together. Basically interweaving storylines that incorporated the regular singleplayer stuff and co-op at different times.

Who knows how it could be handled...

Yeah no thanks to that. I want one super strong single-player experience that isn't limited by the inclusion of co-op.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rez said:
mash triangle at the same time as player one to get through the door, and do it again to unstick him. I can tell because I've seen quite a few co-op scenes in my time.
Very similar scenes have been in the first two games despite there not being any campaign co-op. Remember the chain pull to open the door in UC1 between Drake and Sully?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
Very similar scenes have been in the first two games despite there not being any campaign co-op. Remember the chain pull to open the door in UC1 between Drake and Sully?
I'd like to think ND are at least flirting a little with us at the moment. What with the dirty great screenshot of Sully in the foreground shooting the guard while Nate climbs a wall.

But who knows.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just say no to co-op campaign. They implemented it perfectly in UC2. Super tight single player with many moments that wouldn't work with 2 people, and a separate mode for co-op.

commedieu

Banned
Replicant said:
Knock yourself out. What are the likelihood that there are similar kind of explosion hole on two different parts of the world. If I didn't know better, I'd think that those are the same continuous area from one game. This is not even the best example I can get you but I can't do screencap of that mansion back in UC2 (the one that is near the lake).

stretching-part-i.jpg

Seriously..

jett

D-Member
alr1ghtstart said:
Just say no to co-op campaign. They implemented it perfectly in UC2. Super tight single player with many moments that wouldn't work with 2 people, and a separate mode for co-op.

Exactly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Naughty Dog calls them “environmental touch points” and “additional contextual animation” So fancy!

Basically what this means is Drake’s in-game character reacts to things around him in very realistic ways. When he runs through a small hallway, he may reach his hand out to touch the wall. When he turns a corner, he may lean a little or grab a nearby object for balance.
as long as this doesn't lock me into the animation, like in UC2 where wherever I walked into a narrow hallway my only option was to push the stick forward or stop moving altogether.

mr_nothin

Banned
Well I for one hope they add in co-op just to get everyone's panties in a bunch and then implement it in a wonderful way that'll make ppl not want to play the game by themselves any more. Cant wait for the "this should be the standard" from all the crow eaters :p

Also, Jett...weren't you one of the ppl saying that they should leave out multiplayer and just focus on single player because multiplayer would detract from singleplayer and it would probably be half assed anyways? If I'm correct in assuming that then I like the way that turned out.....

For me, Naughty Dog has become that dev where I dont mind saying "I'll just see how they implement it before I judge it" confidently.

jett

D-Member
mr_nothin said:
Well I for one hope they add in co-op just to get everyone's panties in a bunch and then implement it in a wonderful way that'll make ppl not want to play the game by themselves any more. Cant wait for the "this should be the standard" from all the crow eaters :p

Also, Jett...weren't you one of the ppl saying that they should leave out multiplayer and just focus on single player because multiplayer would detract from singleplayer and it would probably be half assed anyways? If I'm correct in assuming that then I like the way that turned out.....

I said I would have no problem with multiplayer if it didn't affect single player. And it didn't.

THIS would most certainly affect single-player.

mr_nothin

Banned
jett said:
I said I would have no problem with multiplayer if it didn't affect single player. And it didn't.

In a negative way or in a positive way? Nobody can say for sure right now.
There's different approaches they can take. We can still have an amazing single player experience waiting for us and we can also have an amazing co-op experience that's awesome-er.

I'm just saying have a little more faith in our Naughty Gods ;)

jett said:

I'm not necessarily in favor of co-op through the story, but if it's handled like the AI has been handled in previous Uncharted games then I don't see why it would be a problem. It wouldn't be like RE5 where you have to babysit the AI.

alr1ghtstart said:

I's like co-op, but not the campaign. i rather play the campaign alone.
But i LOVE seperate co-op missions.

Resistance 2, CoD:MW2 spec ops, etc. I love the ones in Uncharted 2 too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The majority of UC2 could have been altered very slightly to allow for campaign-wide co-op anyway.

Think of all the gates that required the AI player and the actual player to be near each other or holding triangle to move ahead. Think of the CO-OP PUZZLE IN THE MIRROR ROOM that was played with the Chloe AI.

The game retrospectively feels like a giant test for how players react to co-op gates in a single-player environment, and it seems like we were fine with them.

feel

If they do coop, I hope they just allow player 2 to spawn into the world as a nathan drake clone or with a choice of any of the characters player 1 has unlocked as campaign skins. Don't try to explain it, don't shape the campaign around it (important!!), don't show it in cutscenes. Halo games do this right.

Yoboman

Gold Member
The co-op can be handled in a way that puts the second players in different and unique scenarios when you go off by yourself for a while.

Think of the part with Tenzin where you have to raise the pathway. Instead of him just going through to the other side, it can be a different set of puzzles on that side that the other co-op player has to complete

The solution is just to have multiple paths. Plus they can always adjust things slightly from how it is in one player mode

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
UC3 could actually be a really interesting test of player behaviour in that regard.

When there is no option for co-op and players are forced to complete one side of a puzzle with the AI handling the other (UC2, see the mirror room, the Heart of Ice chapter, Chloe throwing a grenade in Nepal and on and on) we were fine with it. Should the same use of co-op AI be present in UC3 except with the option for another person to play, it will be interesting to see how many people will automatically complain about NOT GETTING THE FULL-EXPERIENCE when they play it single-player.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Rez said:
UC3 could actually be a really interesting test of player behaviour in that regard.

When there is no option for co-op and players are forced to complete one side of a puzzle with the AI handling the other (UC2, see the mirror room, the Heart of Ice chapter, Chloe throwing a grenade in Nepal and on and on) we were fine with it. Should the same use of co-op AI be present in UC3 except with the option for another person to play, it will be interesting to see how many people will automatically complain about NOT GETTING THE FULL-EXPERIENCE when they play it single-player.

What about the parts where Drake is alone? Would the train level be as good if it was coop
or some of the other set pieces. For the parts you describe then yes it would work, but that was why coop in Uncharted 2 was broken down into smaller scenarios.

-viper-

Banned
thuway said:
One more thing ND, please use 50gb bluray space this time. The second game was fucking lambasted with its horrible compression.
Defintely. The video quality was fucking awful.

I want full 1080p uncompressed cutscenes in their full glory!

Rez said:
The majority of UC2 could have been altered very slightly to allow for campaign-wide co-op anyway.

Think of all the gates that required the AI player and the actual player to be near each other or holding triangle to move ahead. Think of the CO-OP PUZZLE IN THE MIRROR ROOM that was played with the Chloe AI.

The game retrospectively feels like a giant test for how players react to co-op gates in a single-player environment, and it seems like we were fine with them.

You think that's all there is to it ?
Co op is going to effect every single thing in the game , your going have change how much ammo drops , how the AI is , the layout of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom