• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 previews, screens and video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kittonwy said:
It's not about aiming, it's about turning the camera while you're moving, jumping and rolling around, and I don't want to deal with a fucking bounding box for camera control.
Indifferent2.gif

revolverjgw said:
Aiming would be better, everything else would suck. Not worth the tradeoff.

Everything else would not suck. They could at least make it an option so that the rest of us didn't have to suffer for dinosaurs like yourselves who refuse to change.

Wait... how does auto-ammo pick-up take away a challenge? It gets rid of a button press... wtf? You still have to run out and get it if/when you run out, ffs. What this does is elimnate the god awful annoyance of trying to pick up ammo with triangle only to have your character walk an inch forward and grab a different gun.

Now all they need to do is make a seperate roll and cover button to avoid shitty situations where you roll out of the way only to stick to the nearest wall and take a half clip to your face. Either that or hold to stick, press to roll.

Shin Johnpv said:
Seriously, the best thing this gen has given us are pointer controls. I really wish more devs would make use of them. Dual Analog aiming just feels slow, and painfully imprecise to me.

That makes me a sad panda. I don't see how using the move for aiming doesn't fit with what their doing with the game. :(

this has been bugging me for a while. when people say pointer control. you don't mean pointing the move controller toward enemy position on tv right? rather, it's more like controlling a mouse in mid air, as in I see enemy on the right part so I move my controller to the right to move the cursor. not aiming the controller towards the enemy right?

what I mean is, the aiming is not like Time Crisis arcade where you just aim and shoot. even in Time Crisis demo with Move, I have to control the cursor. not pointing towards the enemy.

I have some difficulty playing MAG with Move. maybe I didn't play it long enough but I suck at it. RE5 is a a bit better, but keeping the controller still to the center of the screen is a bit tiring. I can't move or change my position etc.

Callibretto said:
this has been bugging me for a while. when people say pointer control. you don't mean pointing the move controller toward enemy position on tv right? rather, it's more like controlling a mouse in mid air, as in I see enemy on the right part so I move my controller to the right to move the cursor. not aiming the controller towards the enemy right?

what I mean is, the aiming is not like Time Crisis arcade where you just aim and shoot. even in Time Crisis demo with Move, I have to control the cursor. not pointing towards the enemy.

I have some difficulty playing MAG with Move. maybe I didn't play it long enough but I suck at it. RE5 is a a bit better, but keeping the controller still to the center of the screen is a bit tiring. I can't move or change my position etc.

Huh... I never thought of that. I was looking forward to move for KZ3 but i always imagined it as just aiming in the direction of the enemy and firing away. I didn't take into consideration that I'd probably have to jerk the gun in the direction a few times until the cursor box is around the enemy to begin aiming. Yuck.

As for move in UC3... wouldn't that be tough with the platforming?

Shin Johnpv said:
Everything else would not suck. They could at least make it an option so that the rest of us didn't have to suffer for dinosaurs like yourselves who refuse to change.

Or maybe some of us have fingers that actually work and it's not a big deal.

Firewire

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:

I feel sorry for people like you, the ones that can't properly coordinate the actions of their own two hands with a regular controller. Instead you need it to be easy, with your lock on pointer motion controls. :/

jett

D-Member
Dual analog >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bounding boxes.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
It's safe to assume Greg Edmonson is back, correct? The music in the trailer seems like his work but since I have no confirmation, I want one heh.

Fo sho.

The footage clearly shows a much cleaner game than the second...MLAA is in I think. One thing I hope is that the fire has more decisive interaction...right now its just a pretty background, I want it to affect the player and provide a greater sense of urgency...

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
Dual analog >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bounding boxes.
Completely agree.

Besides using motion controls feels imprecise. I have far greater control and precision with the analog sticks. They're just more comfortable and easier to use. Motion controls simply feel very twitchy.

Trick_GSF

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
It's safe to assume Greg Edmonson is back, correct? The music in the trailer seems like his work but since I have no confirmation, I want one heh.

99% sure it's his work. And what amazing work it is, in all the games. I adore the Uncharted soundtracks.

Kittonwy

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:

Better dinosaurs than amoebas.
Indifferent2.gif

It's a fucking retarded option when you have to deal with a fucking bounding box to turn the camera just to look around in MP.

We're not dealing with fucking tank controls in RE4 where turning and camera view are locked together, we're not dealing with a FPS where you have to constantly twist your gun to one side or the other to nudge the camera to either side which is actually pretty fucking stupid, and we're not dealing with a platformer that takes the camera option out of the equation by essentially forcing an overhead view, Uncharted 2 MP requires much more 360 degree awareness, your character might be running in one direction and you might want to look in a different direction and control the turn gradually.

Move controls would make camera rotation a fucking pain in the ass, if the move controller actually has an analog stick it would have been viable but unfortunately it doesn't, if you've actually played enough Uncharted 2 MP then you would know that fucking motion controls wouldn't work.
Indifferent2.gif

beast786

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

It's a fucking retarded option when you have to deal with a fucking bounding box to turn the camera just to look around in MP.

We're not dealing with fucking tank controls in RE4 where turning and camera view are locked together, we're not dealing with a FPS where you have to constantly twist your gun to one side or the other to nudge the camera to either side which is actually pretty fucking stupid, and we're not dealing with a platformer that takes the camera option out of the equation by essentially forcing an overhead view, Uncharted 2 MP requires much more 360 degree awareness, your character might be running in one direction and you might want to look in a different direction and control the turn gradually.

Move controls would make camera rotation a fucking pain in the ass, if the move controller actually has an analog stick it would have been viable but unfortunately it doesn't, if you've actually played enough Uncharted 2 MP then you would know that fucking motion controls wouldn't work.
Indifferent2.gif

You sound like a mean cat.

:D

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

vengencekitty.gif

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

Kitty got wet... erm got a point. I haven't touched move but I don't want it in my Uncharted.

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

This post is good

My skin crawls just thinking of using a pointer to look around in this game

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Move bashing is beyond stupid. First of all, not only it is more precise to use for aiming, but more fun too as it emulates natural process of aiming. Then you have people talking about the bounding box like it's a mandatory feature and not something that you can already disable in shooters that support it. I see no good reason why it wouldn't work either for aiming or the camera control in UC, it just does the same function as right analog stick, only faster and more precise.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lord Error said:
Move bashing is beyond stupid. First of all, not only it is more precise to use for aiming, but more fun too as it emulates natural process of aiming. Then you have people talking about the bounding box like it's a mandatory feature and not something that you can already disable in shooters that support it. I see no good reason why it wouldn't work either for aiming or the camera control in UC, it just does the same function as right analog stick, only faster and more precise.

The unbelievers shall be converted! :D

About bounding boxes, they are not as bad as people make them to be. I don't want to post my MAG video again, but yeah, you get used to it pretty fast and become a non-issue whatsoever.

The biggest pro about Move aiming to me is that you can actually put your crosshair over an enemy immediately rather than having to tap-tap the right stick for fine tuning. Just take a look at the Uncharted 3 videos, when the cursor is being slapped left and right until it's on the target. That unnatural and time-wasting behaviour ain't there with motion aiming.

Mr_Brit

Banned
TTP said:

About bounding boxes, they are not as bad as people make them to be. I don't want to post my MAG video again, but yeah, you get used to it pretty fast and become a non-issue whatsoever.

The biggest pro about Move aiming to me is that you can actually put your crosshair over an enemy immediately rather than having to tap-tap the right stick for fine tuning. Just take the a look at the Uncharted 3 videos, when the cursor is being slapped left and right until it's on the target. That time-wasting behaviour ain't there with motion aiming.
What I don't get is why they use bounding boxes in the first place, why don't they lock the cursor to the middle of the screen like in PC games?

TTP said:

The biggest pro about Move aiming to me is that you can actually put your crosshair over an enemy immediately rather than having to tap-tap the right stick for fine tuning. Just take a look at the Uncharted 3 videos, when the cursor is being slapped left and right until it's on the target. That unnatural and time-wasting behaviour ain't there with motion aiming.

Ok, but if I'm hanging froma crumbly ledge and need the camera a certain way to line up my jump, I don't want to theoretically have to hold or manuever my hand/arm in an awkward postion to successfully make the jump. If aiming and camera control is dependent on the move cursor, then I envision slowly falling camera angles because of restlessness haha.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
MoonsaultSlayer said:
True, but I'd bet the game would suffer for including the option to make it work effectively and consistently. So I stand by my comment.

Why would the game suffer? You're adding on functionality to a completely separate piece of the experience. They wouldn't need to reconfigure anything in the core game to make Move capabilities possible. It's just a different controller...that's all.

wenis said:
Why would the game suffer? You're adding on functionality to a completely separate piece of the experience. They wouldn't need to reconfigure anything in the core game to make Move capabilities possible. It's just a different controller...that's all.

See my post above yours.

I just don't want a wonky camera that moves and jitters every time i adjust my arm or sitting position.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mr_Brit said:
What I don't get is why they use bounding boxes in the first place, why don't they lock the cursor to the middle of the screen like in PC games?

Ok, I've my theory about this but I need you to focus a bit.

Imagine you have your proposed set up in place. Cursors fixed to the middle of the screen ok?

Now, pick up a TV remote (or a Move if you have it) and imagine you turn to the right by, say, 90 degrees and then stop.

You point the remote to the right and then freeze your hand at that angle ok?

Now, imagine going forward from there. Look at your hand. Where is it pointing?

Yeah, exactly.

For that kind of set up to work properly, you'd need some sort of "recenter" button akin to mouse lifting. You'd need to, say, have a button that upon held down allows you to recenter the Move without affecting the camera angle.

The Sixense tech does something similar I believe. I think they use the stick mounted on the device for that.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
MoonsaultSlayer said:
See my post above yours.

Then I would have to say that ND would have failed at implementing the control scheme into the game. Would I attempt to play the game that way if I knew full well it sucked lima beans? Nope...give me my DS3 and I'm good to go.

I can honestly see where there are issues with putting the Move control into the game, but I'm more on the side of "why not implement it if ND feels like they can do it successfully". It's not going to be a big issue at all if it is and what if it works and it turns out to be THE way to play the game?

Mr_Brit

Banned
TTP said:

Imagine you have your proposed set up in place. Cursors fixed to the middle of the screen ok?

Now, pick up a TV remote (or a Move if you have it) and imagine you turn to the right by, say, 90 degrees and then stop.

Yeah, exactly.

For that kind of set up to work properly, you'd need some sort of "recenter" button akin to mouse lifting. You'd need to, say, have a button that upon held down allows you to recenter the Move without affecting the camera angle.

The Sixense tech does something similar I believe. I think they use the stick mounted on the device for that.
Oh yeah, you're right about that. Thanks for the explanation.:D Although it is a pretty big oversight on Sony/Nintendo's part, more so on Sony as they wanted FPSs to be played using the controller.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Ok, but if I'm hanging froma crumbly ledge and need the camera a certain way to line up my jump, I don't want to theoretically have to hold or manuever my hand/arm in an awkward postion to successfully make the jump. If aiming and camera control is dependent on the move cursor, then I envision slowly falling camera angles because of restlessness haha.

lol, :D

But no, not really. With bounding boxes at least, once you have your camera angled as you like, you can bring the cursor back to the center of the screen and jump.

Actually, you can even shoot at enemies slightly above the center of the screen while jumping without affecting the jump itself (depends on the size of the vertical bounding box of course).

And of course, it all boils down to how the bounding boxes are implemented by the devs. Not all bounding boxes are made the same, not just in terms of size but also acceleration and speed. Both Time Crisis Blazing Storm FPS and MAG use bounding box, but they do not feel the same at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mr_Brit said:
Oh yeah, you're right about that. Thanks for the explanation.:D Although it is a pretty big oversight on Sony/Nintendo's part, more so on Sony as they wanted FPSs to be played using the controller.

Well, that's true as long as you consider bounding boxes a manifestation of the evil. Which are not :D

Besides, getting back to the fixed reticule thing, it's not something that can't be done period. Luckily, there doesn't need to be a direct correspondence between Move angle and camera angle. In my example I assumed 90 degrees of Move angling correspond to 90 degree of camera angling. But that doesn't need to be like that. You can make it so that very minimal motions result in bigger reactions on screen. There is enough precision "to spare" so that you could make it so that, say, 5 degrees of Move angle corresponds to 90 degrees of camera one (which is probably what PlayStation Move Heroes does), but at the end of the day by using this method you don't feel like you are actually aiming with the Move but rather controlling the camera, like with a mouse.

it is beyond em that people will defend dual analog controllers for shooters. It's the worst thing they could come up with if it was just meant for shooters. Luckaly the Dual analog controllers are great for other games, but not for shooters.

Ask your favorite non gaming noob to play a FPS with a dual analog controller and ask him to play it with a move controller.

It will probably take him a couple of hours to play it with a move controller. That's a long time, but that's with explaning everyting.
It will probably take him days to weeks to play with wit a dual analog controller. It's THAT shit for shooters.

People (like me) got used to it, but it's shitty. I love it for Stardust, Lara Croft and TheGoL.
It's like move will replace it.

But that's just the learning curve. In terms of equally skilled players, move aiming is a shitload faster, intuitive and more acurate when probably calibrated. Turning is an issue that can be resolved in a couple of ways. Some Wii shooters allready have good solutions for that.

Mr_Brit

Banned
TTP said:
Well, that's true as long as you consider bounding boxes a manifestation of the evil. Which are not :D

Besides, getting back to the fixed reticule thing, it's not something that can't be done period. Luckily, there doesn't need to be a direct correspondence between Move angle and camera angle. In my example I assumed 90 degrees of Move angling correspond to 90 degree of camera angling. But that doesn't need to be like that. You can make it so that very minimal motions result in bigger reactions on screen. There is enough precision "to spare" so that you could make it so that, say, 5 degrees of Move angle corresponds to 90 degrees of camera one (which is probably what PlayStation Move Heroes does), but at the end of the day by using this method you don't feel like you are actually aiming with the Move but rather controlling the camera, like with a mouse.
That could solve that problem possibly. I think giving the option between a regular bounding box and the second option you mentioned is the ideal scenario but I think that the mouse style camera control shoudl be the default option so as to differentiate move from the Wii and to place is as more of a hardcore device so as to get more mainstream support from traditionally hardcore games such as COD etc as it would place the device in a different market from the Wii and Kinect. Thanks again for responding as you explain things better than most on GAF.

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif
Kitton if only you put this much thought process in poligaf instead of doing bombing run fly-byes

beast786

TTP said:

Yeah, exactly.

Why not something like this.

Irish

Always-honest said:
it is beyond em that people will defend dual analog controllers for shooters. It's the worst thing they could come up with if it was just meant for shooters. Luckaly the Dual analog controllers are great for other games, but not for shooters.

Ask your favorite non gaming noob to play a FPS with a dual analog controller and ask him to play it with a move controller.

Haven't really tried the pointer based systems, but I know for a fact that I prefer dual-analog to KB/M. I like the way the sticks feel when shooting. There's a sense of "flow" and actual movement. Of course, I'm weird.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dual-analogue will remain the superior, more accurate and the only really competitive option until the technology significantly improves. It's not so much that we're dinosaurs so much as you're in Geocities-era internet calling the animated skull GIF the next big thing while we're just trying to read the text on a page without a giant gimmick flashing on screen and making it harder to digest.

Mr_Brit said:
this seems like a great idea until you realise how jittery the majority of people's hands are.

Firewire said:
I feel sorry for people like you, the ones that can't properly coordinate the actions of their own two hands with a regular controller. Instead you need it to be easy, with your lock on pointer motion controls. :/

I can use dual analog just fine, but they're slower and not as accurate. Pointer controls are more natural, and more enjoyable. I feel sorry for people like you who are too scared to try something new just because its different. Good jump fearing what you don't know.

Kittonwy said:

Amoebas are still around, Dinosaurs are extinct. I don't think it would be the huge pain in the ass you think it will be. I don't feel the need to constantly be moving the camera the way others seem to need/want. Now here's the key fucking point, if they made it an option,... YOU WOULDN"T HAVE TO USE IT! GASP!!!! SHOCK!!!!! OMG!!!! So guess what, it wouldn't have to be the huge pain in the ass to you, that you think it would be. For those of us who wanted it, and can see its benefits, it would be there. It would be appeasing both audiences, instead of just one.

Galvanise_ said:
You wouldn't have to use it.

EXACTLY!

Lord Error said:

Pretty much this. Pointer controls are a SHIT TON more accurate and faster than Dual Analog. What FPS was it that during E3 they said that during QA testing, those users playing with Move were just kicking the shit out of the Dual Analog folks, because it provides that much faster and more accurate aiming.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
True, but I'd bet the game would suffer for including the option to make it work effectively and consistently. So I stand by my comment.

There is no reason for the game to suffer. They don't need to change the level designs, or anything else for it to work.

Rez said:
Dual-analogue will remain the superior, more accurate and the only really competitive option until the technology significantly improves. It's not so much that we're dinosaurs so much as you're in Geocities-era internet calling the animated skull GIF the next big thing while we're just trying to read the text on a page without a giant gimmick flashing on screen and making it harder to digest.

this seems like a great idea until you realise how jittery the majority of people's hands are.

LOL what no. Dual Analog are definitely inferior and slower. I really wish I could remember what game they talked about during E3 where move users were just running over the Dual Analog folks. You don't see folks using Dual Analogs on the PC. It's slow and clunky, and NOT accurate.

No you guys are dinosaurs who are afraid of change. Dual Analog is the old and ancient. You are the guys who are still using Norton cause you're afraid to switch to AVG or MSE.

The rampant Move/Pointer Control hate in this thread is ridiculous. Specially since no one is saying to remove DS3 support from it. People just want to see Move/Pointer support as an option added to the game.

Pointer controls are second only to a KB/M set up for aiming speed and accuracy, any one saying other ways is just wrong.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There is nothing wrong with Motion Control or Pointer control in premises. When their fidelity matches the accuracy of dual-analogue, they will make a brilliant replacement, because dual-analogue is a very unfriendly to the unconverted. We're just not there yet. I'm sure they're the future.

Trying to force primitive technology on a competitive arena is just counter-intuitive.

Kittonwy

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
I can use dual analog just fine, but they're slower and not as accurate. Pointer controls are more natural, and more enjoyable. I feel sorry for people like you who are too scared to try something new just because its different. Good jump fearing what you don't know.

Amoebas are still around, Dinosaurs are extinct. I don't think it would be the huge pain in the ass you think it will be. I don't feel the need to constantly be moving the camera the way others seem to need/want. Now here's the key fucking point, if they made it an option,... YOU WOULDN"T HAVE TO USE IT! GASP!!!! SHOCK!!!!! OMG!!!! So guess what, it wouldn't have to be the huge pain in the ass to you, that you think it would be. For those of us who wanted it, and can see its benefits, it would be there. It would be appeasing both audiences, instead of just one.

EXACTLY!

Pretty much this. Pointer controls are a SHIT TON more accurate and faster than Dual Analog. What FPS was it that during E3 they said that during QA testing, those users playing with Move were just kicking the shit out of the Dual Analog folks, because it provides that much faster and more accurate aiming.

There is no reason for the game to suffer. They don't need to change the level designs, or anything else for it to work.

LOL what no. Dual Analog are definitely inferior and slower. I really wish I could remember what game they talked about during E3 where move users were just running over the Dual Analog folks. You don't see folks using Dual Analogs on the PC. It's slow and clunky, and NOT accurate.

No you guys are dinosaurs who are afraid of change. Dual Analog is the old and ancient. You are the guys who are still using Norton cause you're afraid to switch to AVG or MSE.

The rampant Move/Pointer Control hate in this thread is ridiculous. Specially since no one is saying to remove DS3 support from it. People just want to see Move/Pointer support as an option added to the game.

Pointer controls are second only to a KB/M set up for aiming speed and accuracy, any one saying other ways is just wrong.

Dinosaurs became valuable, useful fossil fuel, one day humans might become extinct, amoebas are still amoebas, they've remained brainless and spineless.

Nobody is arguing pointer control for aiming but turning fucking sucks because you're dealing with an invisible bounding box, pointer control also sucks for camera control precisely because you're always dealing with an invisible bounding box (unlike mouse control where the center of the screen is always locked) and FOR UNCHARTED WHICH IS NOT A FPS, camera control is essential because the player has to manipulate the camera all the time and quickly, and one can move one's thumb around quicker than twisting around one's wrist, especially in MP where awareness of your periphery is paramount, you're not dealing with a narrow perspective in a FPS, you're not always looking in front of where you're going, you have to look all around you. Kudos to Naughty Dog for not shoehorning move controls into the game.
Indifferent2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom