• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

The_Darkest_Red said:
Is a picture still worth a thousand words if it's a crappy MS Paint drawing? Question for another time I suppose, but here's the issue that's bothering me for those who don't understand it yet:

http://i42.tinypic.com/24dlabr.jpg

LOL!

I am able to go diagonally but it takes some effort. Its definitely not smooth and I definitely dont remember this issue in past UC game.

Is the OP current with updates? Has anything more surfaced from ND since the last OP "Edit 5"?

Mama Robotnik said:
In fairness its as good a theory as any. It beggars belief that a significant number of players can recognise an apparent aiming fault, yet nearly every single review from supposedly experienced gaming journalists neglected to mention such a failing in their ten-out-of-ten-review observations.

Another theory is the one I suggested earlier, that aiming could have been more refined in the prerelease yet somehow knackered in the final product.

You are so right. I also feel that the U3 controls are clunky. Huge iput lag when aiming! I don't understand this, U2 gameplay felt good.

I'm halfway trough the game, i think i'll wait for a patch before i continue. That perfect 10 from IGN is laughable...

A.R.K

Has any one from ND acknowledged the problem here or somewhere else (any response from arne)? I have not started the game yet and would rather wait for a patch if they are fixing it.

sadly, I felt the aiming problem myself. at first I thought it's over reaction, but it's true, I'm only cpt 6 at the moment, but I think I haven't got a single clean head shot since fine aiming is harder, remind me of the old PS2 GTA aiming although not as bad. compare it to online and the difference is very apparent.

at least the fact that aiming in mp work great give me hope they can fix it in sp.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
Uncharted is renowned for it's set pieces, not it's gunplay. The gunplay mostly gets a pass because the set pieces "wow" people.

Really? I had a blast shooting things in Uncharted 2. The only reason I played through the game so many times is because the shoot outs were a ton of fun.

That wasn't the case with Uncharted 1. In that game, I actively disliked all of the shooting and wished there were more puzzle/adventure segments.

I plan on picking up Uncharted 3 later this month, but I hope this apparent issue gets fixed before then.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
A.R.K said:
Has any one from ND acknowledged the problem here or somewhere else (any response from arne)? I have not started the game yet and would rather wait for a patch if they are fixing it.

Arne posted here and on ND's official website blog yesterday, but i don't think you want to read what he said hehe.

RuGalz

A.R.K said:

They explained to us that guns work differently in U3. However, I think they missed what is actually causing our frustrations.

The problem is big enough for plenty of people that I don't think ND is ignoring us. They are just trying to figure out the disconnect between how they think it works and how users are feeling. And for people to say that ND is being arrogant and not acknowledging the problem, I think that is pretty silly.

Corto

RuGalz said:
They explained to us that guns work differently in U3. However, I think they missed what is actually causing our frustrations.

The problem is big enough for plenty of people that I don't think ND is ignoring us. They are just trying to figure out the disconnect between how they think it works and how users are feeling. And for people to say that ND is being arrogant and not acknowledging the problem, I think that is pretty silly.

Exactly. I'm sure ND is troubleshooting this at this moment. Let's hope there's an easy enough fix that doesn't break other systems in the game...

ced

The_Darkest_Red said:
Is a picture still worth a thousand words if it's a crappy MS Paint drawing? Question for another time I suppose, but here's the issue that's bothering me for those who don't understand it yet:

24dlabr.jpg

lol perfect.

Corto said:
Exactly. I'm sure ND is troubleshooting this at this moment. Let's hope there's an easy enough fix that doesn't break other systems in the game...

man, I hope so, but they really make it sound like the sp is very delicate mode or something. can't add tweak like slowmo because it'll break the game, even simple cheat like guns and ammo will break the game. and then they did have that last minute crisis when they found big problem in latter part of the game that they had to fix in a hurry.

Yeah, on my second session and 4th hour through this game, this issue is definitely there.

It's minor, but the feeling is, where in Uncharted 2 the controls feel perfect and anytime you die you know it's down to your own lack of skill, here there's definitely something that gets in the way of your fine aiming. I don't feel like a badass mass murderer at all.

Hope it's fixed soon; I've only reached the desert setting but already Uncharted 3 hits higher highs than Uncharted 2 imo.

Mr. Sam

That picture is pretty accurate. I'm now just saving myself the bother and spamming shots to the legs/torso rather than wasting time trying to line up a headshot.

crispyben

Wow, I glanced at that thread title earlier and thought people might be overreacting... I played 5 chapters, and I feel like posting picard-wtf.jpg for the first time in my life. There's definitely something changed, and not for the better. I don't care if it's the engine, input lag, the deadzone, the reticle speed, but aiming feels like a chore and the gunplay seems more lifeless.

Ah, I am really disappointed in the official response to this issue. I tried playing again last night and it still felt horrible. I was able to pop off head shot after head shot in the other two games. In this one, I wind up firing at their crotch or stomach and then letting the recoil bring the cursor up to their head. It is making my playthrough on hard difficulty quite tedious.

I'm going to pop Uncharted 2 in tonight and see what it feels like in comparison, and compare my stats across both games.

Hopefully ND keeps investigating this issue.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
rhino4evr said:
Solution: Aim for the legs and or penis
You have no idea how many dudes in U3 I've shot in the dick because it's simply easier than aiming at center mass.

Artex

Banned
Something felt a little off to me as well. One thing I think I noticed is that the camera is kind of floaty...like it keeps going a little bit when you let go. In Uncharted 2 I used the camera as an aim assist before I pushed L1 to line up my target in the center of the screen. That seems a little more difficult to do now because the camera drifts slightly. You can notice the difference in the behavior of the camera if you press ^ to look as opposed to the camera stick. Looking with ^ does not have the floatiness.

In general the aiming doesn't feel as fluid, but it's been awhile since I played UC2. I noticed I seemed to be adapting to it a little better as it went on so maybe it is just an adjustment. I just wish it was a little more fluid...maybe like inFamous 2. Amazing game though, I'm having a ton of fun with it.

kneePat

Artex said:
Something felt a little off to me as well. One thing I think I noticed is that the camera is kind of floaty...like it keeps going a little bit when you let go. In Uncharted 2 I used the camera as an aim assist before I pushed L1 to line up my target in the center of the screen. That seems a little more difficult to do now because the camera drifts slightly. You can notice the difference in the behavior of the camera if you press ^ to look as opposed to the camera stick. Looking with ^ does not have the floatiness.

In general the aiming doesn't feel as fluid, but it's been awhile since I played UC2. I noticed I seemed to be adapting to it a little better as it went on so maybe it is just an adjustment. I just wish it was a little tighter...maybe like inFamous 2. Amazing game though, I'm having a ton of fun with it.

you are describing input lag.

Corto

Ghost Lynx said:
Ah, I am really disappointed in the official response to this issue. I tried playing again last night and it still felt horrible. I was able to pop off head shot after head shot in the other two games. In this one, I wind up firing at their crotch or stomach and then letting the recoil bring the cursor up to their head. It is making my playthrough on hard difficulty quite tedious.

I'm going to pop Uncharted 2 in tonight and see what it feels like in comparison, and compare my stats across both games.

Hopefully ND keeps investigating this issue.

You have to understand that there's not much they can disclose about this sort of stuff while troubleshooting the problem. I prefer they keep silent for now and then start communicate when they have some fix.

Artex

Banned
kneePat said:
you are describing input lag.
No. Like I said, compare the two methods of camera control. It feels like it keeps going but slows down to a halt. Like its sliding on ice, so to speak.

There is also a good reason why some people might be experiencing the input lag and others aren't. Let's say your threshold for detecting input lag is 300 ms, so anything over that amount is interpreted as "floaty" and kind of weird. Now let's assume that Uncharted 3 combined with the PS3, HDMI cable, and wireless controller has about 256 ms of input lag. That's still under your threshold, right? Well the only factor left now is the TV. If you have a TV that only adds 16 ms of input lag then you're still under your threshold (272 out of 300), but if you have one that adds 48 ms then you're now over your detectable limit (304 out of 300).

Long story short, the input lag in UC3 could be either detectable or non-detectable to you because of your TV.

I'm at chapter 12 and I feel like I've finally gotten used to the aiming enough to not think about it while I'm playing, but I'd still perform better with UC2's aiming.

epmode

The_Darkest_Red said:
Long story short, the input lag in UC3 could be either detectable or non-detectable to you because of your TV.
..but lots of people are describing issues that are 100% not related to input lag. This isn't Killzone.

epmode said:
..but lots of people are describing issues that are 100% not related to input lag. This isn't Killzone.
Have you read any of my other posts? I'm describing those issues as well. I was just addressing the input lag issue that was raised from the test video, and that issue specifically.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Are many other people bothered by how slow the slowest analog walk is in the game? I think it might stem from the same stick acceleration issue that is hurting aiming, though the "auto-aim" surely isn't helping either.

Why is it so easy to walk in slow motion, in a way that looks ridiculous? I feel like that movement speed should be cut out all together. Same goes for moving the reticule that slowly. It's just not practical or useful. You don't need it to move that slowly to easily line up a shot on a stationary enemy, and you would NEVER move it that slowly if an enemy were on the move.

I'm not just talking about sensitivity, I don't think. It just seems like there's way too much space on the acceleration curve dedicated to incredibly slow movement. I bet this creates the sensation of greater input lag too, as the stick has to travel through that zone of minimal movement before the cursor gets to the speed you want it to move.

Can't say I'm too happy with the other thread being made, just for the video, as I think this thread was just fine, but I've added a video to the OP.

JaxJag

Banned
The handful of people in the thread saying the aiming isn't that bad must not play shooters very often, because it's pretty bad.

How the reviewers are saying the shooting is better than Uncharted 3 just leads me to believe "gaming journalists" get caught up into hype for the games more than actual fans.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RedRedSuit said:
Can't say I'm too happy with the other thread being made, just for the video, as I think this thread was just fine, but I've added the video to the OP.

I agree, there are already "too many Uncharted threads" and making another for a video that is directly relevant to this thread is just going to make Uncharted fans look nutty again.

RedRedSuit said:
Can't say I'm too happy with the other thread being made, just for the video, as I think this thread was just fine, but I've added a video to the OP.
Yeah, looking back on it you're probably right. The only good thing about it is the extra stir may help catch ND's attention. We can hope, anyway.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thanks for adding my video to the OP, the other thread is focusing more on input lag and is getting pretty convoluted.

Artex said:
So I haven't played MP yet, but I heard someone say aiming was different in MP. True?

Yup. Still has the sticky aim weirdness, but the diagonals and all that feel fine. Co-op is also fine, this is just an SP issue.

Reallink

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Are many other people bothered by how slow the slowest analog walk is in the game? I think it might stem from the same stick acceleration issue that is hurting aiming, though the "auto-aim" surely isn't helping either.

Why is it so easy to walk in slow motion, in a way that looks ridiculous? I feel like that movement speed should be cut out all together. Same goes for moving the reticule that slowly. It's just not practical or useful. You don't need it to move that slowly to easily line up a shot on a stationary enemy, and you would NEVER move it that slowly if an enemy were on the move.

I'm not just talking about sensitivity, I don't think. It just seems like there's way too much space on the acceleration curve dedicated to incredibly slow movement. I bet this creates the sensation of greater input lag too, as the stick has to travel through that zone of minimal movement before the cursor gets to the speed you want it to move.

What the fuck, seriously? You're basically calling for the removal of the analog feature. Your "issues" are why the sticks exist in the first place. This isn't a PC game, there is no WASD bullshit.

AEREC

Artex said:
So I haven't played MP yet, but I heard someone say aiming was different in MP. True?

It feels different than UC2 mp...but not as bad as the single player aiming. To me the MP aiming feels more erratic...which I am just starting to get used to.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
RedRedSuit said:

Sorry mate, people were calling for it, wasn't trying to muscle in on your thread, hopefully the extra attention will help.

AEREC said:
It feels different than UC2 mp...but not as bad as the single player aiming. To me the MP aiming feels more erratic...which I am just starting to get used to.
To me aiming that is different in MP and SP just looks like a sign that a developer is over thinking things (unless there's a bug or something). Find a good model and stick with it throughout the entire game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Reallink said:
What the fuck, seriously? You're basically calling for the removal of the analog feature. Your "issues" are why the sticks exist in the first place. This isn't a PC game, there is no WASD bullshit.

What he's talking about is actually based on how the uncharted series always has your movement speed determined in game. If drake is jogging, that's his max speed, so you slowly going into that movement has him make a slowmo looking jog motion. If the max speed is walk, he does the walk animation in slowmo.

Most games don't do it like that. I actually like how UC paces itself, it looks natural when you're always fully on the stick, but that's why the analog thing he's mentioning happens when you let off. When drake is running you actually can't just walk around, if you tap in any direction he actually runs a step that way, so you can't ever pace it yourself.

lowrider007 said:
Sorry mate, people were calling for it, wasn't trying to muscle in on your thread, hopefully the extra attention will help.

No prob, it's not an ego thing, just thought it confuses the issue. But I'm sure it will be OK. The other thread is getting crazy.

Artex

Banned
Papercuts said:
Yup. Still has the sticky aim weirdness, but the diagonals and all that feel fine. Co-op is also fine, this is just an SP issue.
Odd. All I really care about is the diagonal issue...that's the only part that feels odd and restricting to me.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Reallink said:

Get a grip. There are several walking speeds mapped to the analog stick. The slowest one is ridiculously slow and ridiculously unrealistic looking as well (compared to other Uncharted games, and other TPS in general). I'm not saying anything about removing analog controls. I never mentioned PC games or WASD. I think the aiming might feel better if that slowest movement were changed in some way. Learn to read more thoughtfully.

Reallink

Papercuts said:
What he's talking about is actually based on how the uncharted series always has your movement speed determined in game. If drake is jogging, that's his max speed, so you slowly going into that movement has him make a slowmo looking jog motion. If the max speed is walk, he does the walk animation in slowmo.

Most games don't do it like that. I actually like how UC paces itself, it looks natural when you're always fully on the stick, but that's why the analog thing he's mentioning happens when you let off. When drake is running you actually can't just walk around, if you tap in any direction he actually runs a step that way, so you can't ever pace it yourself.

Sure sounds like he wants to remove the "range" in the analog implementation and just lock it to 2 or 3 speeds--period (e.g. just walk and just run, no speeds in between, no variations in those speeds).

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Get a grip. There are several walking speeds mapped to the analog stick. The slowest one is ridiculously slow and ridiculously unrealistic looking as well (compared to other Uncharted games, and other TPS in general). I'm not saying anything about removing analog controls. I never mentioned PC games or WASD. I think the aiming might feel better if that slowest movement were changed in some way. Learn to read more thoughtfully.

*Edit* Yes, indeed he is. The game isn't realistic, it's over the top and cartoon styled. That kind of super slow walking makes the controls very responsive and gives the player complete freedom of movement.

Curufinwe

Papercuts said:

Can anyone think of a reason why aiming in Co-op should be different than aiming in SP?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Reallink said:
Sure sounds like he wants to remove the "range" in the analog implementation and just lock it to 2 or 3 speeds--period (e.g. just walk and just run, no speeds in between, no variations in those speeds).

The very lowest speed. That's all I think is busted.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Reallink said:

*Edit* Yes, indeed he is. The game isn't realistic, it's over the top and cartoon styled. That kind of super slow walking makes the controls very responsive and gives the player complete freedom of movement.

You mean responsive to the player's intentions? My intentions are never to walk in slow motion. The problem for me is that the slowest walk animation isn't subdued enough. It looks like a midspeed walk animation slowed down. I find it to be more difficult to hold the stick in the position necessary to do a realistic walk than it is to do the ultra slow walk. I can get used to it, but again, it's a pointless change from UC2.

But I don't even think this is a big deal. I brought it up because I thought it might have something to do with the aiming problems. There's nothing useful about being able to move the cursor that slowly. And if it's affecting aiming, which I am not saying it definitely is, then that would be a problem.

Sai

Oh, man. Didn't notice this thread before. This would totally explain why UC3's gunplay felt off to me. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed!

I'm up to Chapter 14 now. My shooting percentage is at 35% on hard. Went back to look at UC2 and it was 40% with 30 hours in single player on hard/crushing. I think it was higher before I started screwing around.

I feel the lag, the slow motion aiming, the dumb twirling A.I., the non-bullet reacting enemies, and the x-y axis. It doesn't help enemy encounters seems to always be 100 feet or one feet away. It's unfortunate because this game is amazing. Better than UC2 so far, if and only if, it had the same aiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom