• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer will have no dedicated servers

Even if I loved the multiplayer the lag would end up killing it for me and my buddies, as it has with all p2p games. Then the map packs get released and playlists get diluted. And then the microtransations.

Can't do it anymore.

Whats with the lack of dedicated server support with PS4 titles this generation? Seems like there was better support last gen when there was no fee for multiplayer. Or am I just imagining things?

Fbh

Well that's dissapointing. Specially because it's a first party.

Come on Sony. We are paying for PSN, at least invest in some damn dedicated servers for your biggest franchise

Uncharted 4 sounds less and less interesting.

Why? What other piece of news has made it less interesting other than this?

Disappointing, but not really surprising considering the previous entries in the series. I still loved the MP in those games, so I'll probably love it here. I do think Sony should start doing dedicated servers for their first party MP games, though. Or at the very least, their big hitters.

IvanJ

Banned
PS+ which is the service you pay to play online didn't start with having online behind it. Most of the people who are members, are people who had it for PS3 for free games, cloud save backups and discounts.

There are games on PC you pay a fee for monthly that don't have dedicated servers, yet I don't hear as much bitching.
Consoles I agree need to sort their shit out in what they offer for the premium price for Online. But I mainly have PS+ for the game library and cheap discounts on games, I just bought Resident evil 2 revelations complete edition for 14.99. It was More than 24.99 in retail stores.
Same goes for Transistor and Rocket league which I got for Free, and that game is My GOTY.

You get more than just online Multiplayer. I play multiplayer mostly on my pc anyway, and not because it's free, mainly because I can host, or connect to custom servers.

If you don't like it don't pay for it. Same goes with any other service. There are MMO'S out there that have shitty server's and ask for monthy premium that's 2-3 times the amount it cost you per month for PS+. If you want it to get better I guess hold off wait.

Actually, the bold is very far from the truth. Sony disclosed PS+ numbers several times since PS4 launch, and on PS3 there was less than 2 million subscribers (out of 80 million consoles). Last released numbers (January 2015) had the current subscriber number at 11 million (out of about 22 million consoles).

So obviously majority of people are "forced" to subscribe...

Kssio_Aug

P2P means the game won't become unplayable in 5-10 years, right?

I wonder how many people will be playing U4 MP in 10 years.

Why? What other piece of news has made it less interesting other than this?

I believe he's mentioning microtransactions and those strange token/tomb powers in the MP. There was also that news about Alan Tudyk leaving ND and saying they're doing weird changes.

The content they've shown about the SP until now seems pretty great though.

P2P means the game won't become unplayable in 5-10 years, right?

It'll be unplayable within about 12 months instead when laggy ass players make up a large part of the remaining userbase and ruin the experience for the rest, especially with Naughty Dog matchmaking.

YES. Have you watched a match? If someone has a shit connection, and it chooses you for the host, you will lose because of lag.

Crosscounter on youtube talk about this to no end.

Dedicated servers on fighters create too much input delay. P2P is better for 1v1. If someone has a shit connection dedicated servers aren't gonna make the match better.

Not surprised. While Naughty Dog games have fun multiplayer their bread and butter lies in single player. I don't want to say multiplayer is "tacked on" but it definitely doesn't get the attention that single player gets.

PS+ which is the service you pay to play online didn't start with having online behind it. Most of the people who are members, are people who had it for PS3 for free games, cloud save backups and discounts.

There are games on PC you pay a fee for monthly that don't have dedicated servers, yet I don't hear as much bitching.
Consoles I agree need to sort their shit out in what they offer for the premium price for Online. But I mainly have PS+ for the game library and cheap discounts on games, I just bought Resident evil 2 revelations complete edition for 14.99. It was More than 24.99 in retail stores.
Same goes for Transistor and Rocket league which I got for Free, and that game is My GOTY.

You get more than just online Multiplayer. I play multiplayer mostly on my pc anyway, and not because it's free, mainly because I can host, or connect to custom servers.

If you don't like it don't pay for it. Same goes with any other service. There are MMO'S out there that have shitty server's and ask for monthy premium that's 2-3 times the amount it cost you per month for PS+. If you want it to get better I guess hold off wait.

We aren't talking about those games, are we? Basic understanding of the argument, please try to attain that at the very least. And at least those games have dedicated servers, eh? Y'know, the very least you'd expect if you're paying a fee to access an online mode.

You aren't getting games for free, you're paying a subscription to obtain them, and only for as long as you keep paying.

Also, maybe, just maybe, a lot of people don't want the extra shit that comes with Plus, and just want to play online with their friends?

And I don't like it, therefore I don't pay for it. Still a shitty argument. People were used to not paying a bullshit premium for online multiplayer on PS3, and now suddenly it's required. "Don't buy it if you don't like it" is one of the absolute laziest arguments you can make. Be it with regards to microtransactions or DLC or, in this case, arbitary paywalls.

Papacheeks

Banned
We aren't talking about those games, are we? Basic understanding of the argument, please try to attain that at the very least. And at least those games have dedicated servers, eh? Y'know, the very least you'd expect if you're paying a fee to access an online mode.

You aren't getting games for free, you're paying a subscription to obtain them, and only for as long as you keep paying.
Also, maybe, just maybe, a lot of people don't want the extra shit that comes with Plus, and just want to play online with their friends?
And I don't like it, therefore I don't pay for it. Still a shitty argument. People were used to not paying a bullshit premium for online multiplayer on PS3, and now suddenly it's required. "Don't buy it if you don't like it" is one of the absolute laziest arguments you can make. Be it with regards to microtransactions or DLC or, in this case, arbitary paywalls.

Wow, what shit response. PS+ started out as a game service though? Do you have the same position for XBox live? Which people have been fine paying for since it's inception around 2002-2003?
Should the service have dedicated server's? Yes. Can you use your console without PS+ and do online activities? Yes. SHould Uncharted 4 have dedicated server's, IMHO yes.
It's not a lazy argument as people boycotted and complained about PS PASSES coupel years back and it wasn't just SOny doing it. SO it stopped. People didn't buy games that had these.

Most AAA games don't even have "Dedicated server's" look at call of duty. It sucks, and we should have them, but even on PC there isn't a lot of dedicated server's by teh developer's/publishers a lot of games on PC are rented by individuals.
Voice your opinion them like the DRM debacle? Your acting like this white knight. Yet millions of people who buy xbox live, and PS+ subscriptions seem to not have your issue? Or see the value in what these services offer.
It's not like they are anti-consumer, that would imply they hid something from you when they sold you the console, or said game.
Lastly your dickish remarks are not warranted as I'm talking about the service, which started out as a game service then because of the online nature of PS4 became a online/Game service. WHich is what your bringing up, with Uncharted not having Dedicated server's and people having to pay for PS+ TO PLAY IT.

I never had connection issues, perceived or reality, with TLOU but my tolerance for p2p MP games going forward is incredibly low. Especially after the experience I've had with MGS V.

Papacheeks

Banned
Actually, the bold is very far from the truth. Sony disclosed PS+ numbers several times since PS4 launch, and on PS3 there was less than 2 million subscribers (out of 80 million consoles). Last released numbers (January 2015) had the current subscriber number at 11 million (out of about 22 million consoles).

So obviously majority of people are "forced" to subscribe...

You have a link to that? All I can find are the numbers for PS4?

Wow, what shit response. PS+ started out as a game service though? Do you have the same position for XBox live? Which people have been fine paying for since it's inception around 2002-2003?
Should the service have dedicated server's? Yes. Can you use your console without PS+ and do online activities? Yes. SHould Uncharted 4 have dedicated server's, IMHO yes.
It's not a lazy argument as people boycotted and complained about PS PASSES coupel years back and it wasn't just SOny doing it. SO it stopped. People didn't buy games that had these.

Most AAA games don't even have "Dedicated server's" look at call of duty. It sucks, and we should have them, but even on PC there isn't a lot of dedicated server's by teh developer's/publishers a lot of games on PC are rented by individuals.
Voice your opinion them like the DRM debacle? Your acting like this white knight. Yet millions of people who buy xbox live, and PS+ subscriptions seem to not have your issue? Or see the value in what these services offer.
It's not like they are anti-consumer, that would imply they hid something from you when they sold you the console, or said game.
Lastly your dickish remarks are not warranted as I'm talking about the service, which started out as a game service then because of the online nature of PS4 became a online/Game service. WHich is what your bringing up, with Uncharted not having Dedicated server's and people having to pay for PS+ TO PLAY IT.

Not really, because as I said, the original topic doesn't concern subscription-based games, but rather a subscription-based online platform.

Never used Xbox Live. "B-but Microsoft!" seems to be a common (shit) argument.

Christ, what an inane response. No point arguing with an incoherent fanboy, so you're ignored. Good day.

Apdiddy

I was hoping that P2P connections in online multiplayer would die this gen, but nope.

Be prepared to see a lot of 'migrating hosts' or 'lost connection to the host' during UC4 matches. Most of my (trophy hunting) friends are from other countries, so there would always be someone that could not connect to our party. If people's crappy internet connections have anything to do with it, I fully expect in less than a year UC4 multiplayer to be a ghost town with nothing fixed.

Most of my (trophy hunting) friends are from other countries, so there would always be someone that could not connect to our party. If people's crappy internet connections have anything to do with it, I fully expect in less than a year UC4 multiplayer to be a ghost town with nothing fixed.
That sounds like a NAT Type/connectivity issue. It's not country-specific.

You need to port forward and/or enable UPnP on your router... or Sony could finally implement IPv6 on the PS4, so NAT wouldn't be needed anymore.

That being said, I fully expect NAT Type 3 juggernauts (aka zero bar warriors) to make a triumphant return and ruin plenty of matches. :S

Red Devil

Not surprising considering other ND games did it even TLoU:R on PS4.

Remember when Free to play and Dedicated Servers use to be an argument to buy a Ps3?

But clearly people wants to pay for online multiplayer without an exact clue what's the money being used for.
/s

SpokkX

Not trying to start a console war, but does XB1 exclusives run on dedicated? (genuine question)

Yes

Ms has the whole azure cloud infrastructure so for them it is probsbly easy and cheap. Saves in the cloud also have no limit

Sony has no cloud infrastructure

Ms is about a generation ahead here

Papacheeks

Banned
Not really, because as I said, the original topic doesn't concern subscription-based games, but rather a subscription-based online platform.

Never used Xbox Live. "B-but Microsoft!" seems to be a common (shit) argument.

Christ, what an inane response. No point arguing with an incoherent fanboy, so you're ignored. Good day.

How is someone who plays primarily online games on PC being a fanboy? You say to stick to the post at hand. Yet you brought up paying for Online in a forum about Dedicated servers for Uncharted 4, and the rest of their games have not had Dedicated servers.

How am I a fanboy? I said if you and other's think this is such an injustice then do something about it? I agreed with you?

The reason I called you out was you said my "examples" had nothing to do with what was being discussed. When in fact you are the one who brought up earlier in the thread paying for online?

The topic is about dedicated servers for Uncharted 4, you yourself brought up paying for online service not me.

Not having dedicated servers when you're paying to play online is the real joke here.

Never played online on Xbox or PS2, and online was free on PS3. So no, no I wasn't.

No "we" haven't. It's almost as if there was a last gen console with free online. Hmm.

Never played on 360 myself. If I did, I would've raised the same issue. And I recall quite a few people doing so as well. But then, your argument is just "B-but Microsoft!!!", isn't it?

Seriously your responses are fucking PC ELITE ATTITUDE BS. You have a point yes, could or should it be in it's own thread? Probably.

Seriously the way you post to people is fucking atrocious. Though some do deserve it, doesn't mean you have to be so pretentious about it.

autoduelist

What?
I haven't had any lag in any P2P server setup in years.

Agreed. I play a lot of TLOUR and only had lag two games... one was really bad, so I disconnected, joined another game, and was fine. The other saw minor lag issues (getting shot around corners).

But the hundreds of other games? All fine.

I was hoping that P2P connections in online multiplayer would die this gen, but nope.

Be prepared to see a lot of 'migrating hosts' or 'lost connection to the host' during UC4 matches. Most of my (trophy hunting) friends are from other countries, so there would always be someone that could not connect to our party. If people's crappy internet connections have anything to do with it, I fully expect in less than a year UC4 multiplayer to be a ghost town with nothing fixed.

What? TLOUR still has tons of players, and the Uncharteds had vibrant long lasting communities as well, although U2 and TLOU/TLOUR are probably the most loved. Why would U4 suddenly be a ghost town? This makes no sense.

LUXURY

It'll be unplayable within about 12 months instead when laggy ass players make up a large part of the remaining userbase and ruin the experience for the rest, especially with Naughty Dog matchmaking.

Dedicated servers on fighters create too much input delay. P2P is better for 1v1. If someone has a shit connection dedicated servers aren't gonna make the match better.

id settle for some input delay over a fucking frame by frame 1 bar any day.

IvanJ

Banned

Gestault

Sony continues to be horrendous with its PSN infrastructure.

It's more likely an engineering decision. In the sense that with the way they handle the online play, bypassing the server step might have given them better results in a lot of use cases.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's been a while, but it's a combination of announcing 50% of PS4 owners being subscribers:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-23-half-of-ps4-owners-are-ps-plus-subscribers

and the early 2014 report of PS+ tripling since launch:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...Subscribers-Triple-In-Volume-Since-PS4-Launch

I remember doing the math then, but I cannot find better links now.

Those are just talking about PS4?

PS4 Plus subscribers around 3.5 million

Fbh

Uc4 is turning out to be a real technical disappointment. At least the cut scenes are pretty.

Right...the cutscenes:
GIFbd416.gif

EGM1966

I think it's just a bitter pill to swallow for people to pay for something that was free for years while seeing no benefit. Understandably so.
If people had voted with their wallets with Live then things might have been different but Live set a precedent that it was obvious Sony would follow.

I didn't like paying for Live and I'm not keen PSN has gone the same way (although the Plus method with games and additional benefits at least helps) but that's what the market choose.

PSN was only free as an attempt to differentiate and to hopefully lure people from paying for Live. When the big markets of US, UK etc showed they'd rather pay if the console/games were more popular then the die was cast.

Myself I'd prefer a decent bare bones online that's free to all with a couple of tiers of paid membership with increasing benefits (perhaps top tier including dedicated servers) but nobody listens to me!

U2NUMB

Certainly a bummmer.. loving the online smoothness of halo 5 and gears.. hell even party chat has their own dedicated servers on x1.

Will still buy uncharted 4 the second it's released cause I love the single player. Will see how multi runs now before I dedicate a ton of time to it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yes, then add the "tripled" statement.

3.5m + 1.75 m (from PS3 era) = 5.25 m, which is about three times as much.

I thought it was much larger on PS3? Like 3 Million? Service has been out for like 2-3 years?

Maybe I'm looking into it to hard?

How much is it now? Are there a bigger number of Subscribers o PS3 now because of it's rise on PS4?

Regarding cloud infrastructure, people have to understand that PS4 friends list, messages and even trophies (there's no offline mode) are cloud-based. It wasn't that way in the PS3.

Cloud-based is more expensive than local storage. So yeah, I assume that our PS+ subscriptions have to fund all that new infrastructure...

IvanJ

Banned
I thought it was much larger on PS3? Like 3 Million? Service has been out for like 2-3 years?

Maybe I'm looking into it to hard?

How much is it now? Are there a bigger number of Subscribers o PS3 now because of it's rise on PS4?
They have never broken it between consoles, I worked it out that time. Last ever report was back in January - 10.9 million
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/01/05/ps4-sales-reach-18-5-million-worldwide/

But I doubt PS3 numbers increased. I think it is more likely to have decreased, with people leaving last gen behind. But we will probably never kniw exactly.

Top Bottom